Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lifepuzzler posted:

They didn't actually use IMAX cameras though, it says so in that article:

However, I did see the movie in IMAX and all of the scenes in the top-level, non-actiony, universes (Evelyn's history flashbacks, Evelyn as a movie star, Evelyn going home to do taxes, Evelyn as a rock) were shot in 1.85:1 which is juuuust shy of IMAX (1.90:1). As a result, there was never a letterbox on the sides during those scenes, only a tiny thin strip at the top and bottom of the IMAX screen. Also, the letterbox changes only came in from the top and bottom, and honestly it made the movie a little easier to follow (in regards to which universe we were looking at during any given moment).
Source: my eyeballs and this article

This explains so much:

Our theory for the movie was that it’s so fast that basically 10 percent of it had to be really good and everything else just had to work. But what happened was that different departments would fall in love with all of these little scenes that were just supposed to be “good enough” and would keep pushing them to another level to make them great.

E: I think this is my fav behind the scenes article ever? What a ludicrous process

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Accented Cinema is such a great channel.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/cinematogrxphy/status/1533195438324596736?t=NpoB4-AgH9TdiRi4DT9z9A&s=19

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psWUuuoYMy8

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Love all these videos. Hope the physical release has lots of stuff like this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I got a copy of the book which I haven't had the chance to read yet but the intro is by Ted Chiang :eyepop:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha holy poo poo Raccacoonie was voiced by Randy Newman

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Steve Yun posted:

https://youtu.be/z5DRSy_L2BE

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Steve Yun posted:

Knowing that, on rewatch, it was fun to pay attention to Randy Newman shouting "She's seen too much! Kill her!"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I have to say I do completely get the praise this has received. It's like nothing else I've ever watched and also loving brilliant. It's so different, but also so complete. What a movie.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

About the ending

A friend criticized it a bunch because she felt the story just led to her accepting staying in a relationship that's making everyone involved miserable, and even though she's now aware of what she's been doing wrong we're not really shown any real changes or improvements to their situation.

I find it hard to argue with that, other than the fact that this is just one of the many universes she's on and in every single one of them she's now making an effort to connect with her daughter and support her.
I'd lie if I said I didn't expect a longer act 3, and when it ended I was kinda left wondering "is that really the end or is it just another joke?".

Then again I enjoyed the action, the comedy and the flawless execution so loving much I don't care to analyze the story that in depth. What an amazing movie.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Elman posted:

About the ending

A friend criticized it a bunch because she felt the story just led to her accepting staying in a relationship that's making everyone involved miserable, and even though she's now aware of what she's been doing wrong we're not really shown any real changes or improvements to their situation.

I find it hard to argue with that, other than the fact that this is just one of the many universes she's on and in every single one of them she's now making an effort to connect with her daughter and support her.
I'd lie if I said I didn't expect a longer act 3, and when it ended I was kinda left wondering "is that really the end or is it just another joke?".

Then again I enjoyed the action, the comedy and the flawless execution so loving much I don't care to analyze the story that in depth. What an amazing movie.

Reading your post made me recognize a pun with the last title card. The first two jokes are fairly obvious. What's on your mind? Everything. Where are you now? Everywhere. The last one, 'all at once', has them acting together: all at once. It's not a deep joke or anything, my brain just didn't catch up with that until reading your post.

Anyway, as to whether or not we're shown changes, the last moment between Evelyn and Waymond in the foyer mirrors the moment between the elderly couple that Waymond longingly watched right at the start. He sees them showing affection, and wishing Evelyn would pay attention to him like that. At the end, she pays attention to him like that. She's present, in the moment, with him. I think that means we're shown both change and improvement.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Elman posted:

About the ending

The core problem was never the relationship, it was Evelyn's behavior stemming from her general outlook on life. Her failing personal relationships with everyone (not just Waymond) were symptoms, not causes. The assumption is that her change in outlook will lead to changes in behavior, but that's long hard work and outside the scope of what the movie wants to show in her growth. It's about her coming to a place where she's willing and able to mend her relationships and understanding why it needs to happen, not about the entire process of doing so. They're still going to face challenges but now she's emotionally capable of handling them.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
A big part of the story is Evelyn's change in understanding and perspective. Evelyn, as she encounters more of her alternative selves, becomes more aware of the people around her and understands them more.

At first, she sees Waymond as a happy idiot, who is trusting of everyone and putting googooly eyes on everything. But the more she really sees Waymond and his actions, the more she can appreciate what he does.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I really don't think it's fair to say that there were no changes and that the relationship is the same, the movie starts with Evelyn being unhappy with her life and incapable of having an honest conversation with her daughter, the movie ends with her understanding that this is the life she's been given and that she wouldn't rather have another one, and she has an honest conversation with Joy where she frankly owns up to her own shortcomings and apologizes for having projected her insecurities onto Joy; nothing changed expect for well, everything that matters, the movie is not saying that everything will be great now but the movie does show us that Evelyn understands how to be a better mother and spouse, the movie starts with the entire family resentful of each other and ends with them united. I mean, it's perfect. What a movie.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The movie already went through the choice of just leaving relationships that are having trouble. This is Evelyn and her father. This is the divorce. This is Joy and the bagel. The underlying conceit is that family is important and not something you should just throw away. Of course there’s exceptions in life, but Evelyn and Joy have both grown by the end to relate to each other more. Joy wanted her mom to understand her. Her mom wanted more for her daughter, but learns to see her for what she is.

As others pointed out, Waymond and Evelyn reflect the loving couple. Evelyn critiques Becky which was established as intimacy without directly expressing it. And finally Curtis at the end says their taxes are not perfect yet, but they are making progress. The same goes for the family.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

checkplease posted:

Evelyn critiques Becky which was established as intimacy without directly expressing it.

Yeah, when asian parents start nitpicking little irrelevant things in your SO to their face, you know they've accepted them into the family.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I really don't think it's fair to say that there were no changes and that the relationship is the same, the movie starts with Evelyn being unhappy with her life and incapable of having an honest conversation with her daughter, the movie ends with her understanding that this is the life she's been given and that she wouldn't rather have another one, and she has an honest conversation with Joy where she frankly owns up to her own shortcomings and apologizes for having projected her insecurities onto Joy; nothing changed expect for well, everything that matters, the movie is not saying that everything will be great now but the movie does show us that Evelyn understands how to be a better mother and spouse, the movie starts with the entire family resentful of each other and ends with them united. I mean, it's perfect. What a movie.

millennials don't understand the ending because they don't believe in marriage, they just live in polycubes and cut people out of their lives the moment the tiniest piece of personal friction arises. -_-

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is that millennial or gen z or both. Everybody just ghosting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Millenials Ghost, Gen Z is too scared to talk to strangers and don’t bother starting new relationships in the first place.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if evelyn was a member of gen z then she would get kung fu powers from getting a job or by not looking at her phone for 5 minutes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok gong gong, we'll go to lunch soon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

millennials don't understand the ending because they don't believe in marriage, they just live in polycubes and cut people out of their lives the moment the tiniest piece of personal friction arises. -_-

Marriage sucks rear end and most people around me who got married ended in horrible divorces including my parents lol.

I knew someone who’s divorce caused them to drink themselves to death in like 2 years.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

CelticPredator posted:

Marriage sucks rear end and most people around me who got married ended in horrible divorces including my parents lol.

I knew someone who’s divorce caused them to drink themselves to death in like 2 years.

Ok millennial

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm jumping to the universe where we're not making MILLENNIALS :argh: jokes ripped out of 2015.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

CelticPredator posted:

Marriage is awesome. All my friends (and myself) are deeply in love with their spouse. My parents and grandparents are (were) deeply in love. The aunts and cousins who have divorced are the exceptions and are strange.

If you get divorced you probably have deeper problems than marriage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All the marriages I know are either boomers or gen x. Except one that ended very quickly due to mental illness. My parents divorce sucked so much it’s still a problem for me and my brother even in adult hood lmao.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Speleothing posted:

If you get divorced you probably have deeper problems than marriage.
??????

Sometimes you're just not the same person 10 years later, it doesn't have to be a personal failing to no longer want to be with the same person

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Every person is different, all relationships are unique, every marriage is different, Evelyn gained the perspective to come to the conclusion that she is happy with her imperfect marriage, that her goofy husband has actually always had her back and that her daughter is more important than her misgivings and insecurities.

It's just a movie, some relationships are not worth saving and not everyone has redeeming qualities, but the point is that even the worst version of Evelyn can become better and happier and make the people around her happier. Good movie.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
lol making these sweeping generalisations about marriage or divorce on either side because your parents were happy or sad is so fuckin dumb

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In the story of the film Waymond doesn't even want a divorce, he gives her the paperwork because he wants her to pay attention to him, this is the only way he knows to do it. The relationship is clearly damaged but not inherently toxic- there are actual economic and social pressures working on Evelyn and it's become very overwhelming for her and relationships do get hurt by that, sometimes destroyed. But thankfully for her, something like a miracle happens, and she comes to appreciate what's worth saving in her life.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1536745738973085702?t=Kb963KoQ7yGBJkznaCmC5g&s=19

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mantis42 posted:

All millenials know is divorce, cancel culture, be poly, eat everything bagel and lie

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They know Avocado Toast too.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

withak posted:

They know Avocado Toast too.

That's part of the everything bagel.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think a lot about the ending is Evelyn re-evaluating what is going on from a more positive perspective. For example in the beginning when she sees Waymond talking to Deirdre she's like "oh, he's probably making things worse, why is he bringing her cookies" and now she sees that Waymond is trying to smooth things over and that it can actually work. At the start she sees Waymond in terms of how he's interfering with her attempt to control the situation and toward the end in terms of trying to contribute in his own way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Waymond being completely right about everything is part of what makes the movie so good, IMO. A shot tier movie would’ve tried to expose his positivity as being weak or useless, in this movie it’s the only thing that works.

It’s also a great story about two people who are in love but one of them doesn’t want to try and how that’s not enough, both of you have to want to try.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Putting googly eyes on everything is annoying as gently caress

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gaius Marius posted:

Putting googly eyes on everything is annoying as gently caress

Counterpoint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If vacuum cleaner doesn't have googly eyes, your life is incomplete.