Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m only hung up on the cable because of travel. At home and at work, my XS basically lives on a qi wireless charger. I can count the times I’ve plugged my phone in on two hands, probably, but they’ve all been when I’m out and about. I suppose if there was a non-lovely way to qi charge on the go I would be a lot less invested in this usb change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

some kinda jackal posted:

I’m only hung up on the cable because of travel. At home and at work, my XS basically lives on a qi wireless charger. I can count the times I’ve plugged my phone in on two hands, probably, but they’ve all been when I’m out and about. I suppose if there was a non-lovely way to qi charge on the go I would be a lot less invested in this usb change.

Magsafe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Better solution: never leave your house.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Still slow vs cable charging

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Still slow vs cable charging

The high speed charging with an official charger and the right brick is pretty quick and totally acceptable imo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How reliable is magsafe as a connection? With my XS I can throw a battery bank in my backpack, slap in the cable, and be fairly sure that it won't jostle free. I'm not asking to be snarky, I honestly don't know. The watch charger is also magnetic but it's incredibly weak, so I'm hoping the phone mag is actually more resilient? Would it be comparable to the magsafe on new macbooks?

That said, it's still one more thing to carry around. I guess I'm beating a dead horse at this point and will stop making GBS threads up the thread because I'll either need to carry a magsafe charger, magsafe battery bank, or a lightning cable until I get a USB-C phone. Which is FINE, I mean, honestly if carrying an extra cable is the most hardship I endure in 2023 then I'm having a pretty loving great year.

Also:

Duckman2008 posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, seriously. Leaving your house? During a pandemic? In this economy? Nah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How reliable is magsafe as a connection? With my XS I can throw a battery bank in my backpack, slap in the cable, and be fairly sure that it won't jostle free. I'm not asking to be snarky, I honestly don't know. The watch charger is also magnetic but it's incredibly weak, so I'm hoping the phone mag is actually more resilient? Would it be comparable to the magsafe on new macbooks?

That said, it's still one more thing to carry around. I guess I'm beating a dead horse at this point and will stop making GBS threads up the thread because I'll either need to carry a magsafe charger, magsafe battery bank, or a lightning cable until I get a USB-C phone. Which is FINE, I mean, honestly if carrying an extra cable is the most hardship I endure in 2023 then I'm having a pretty loving great year.

Also:

I'm not 100% sure it wouldn't jostle free in a bag with other things potentially moving it, but I have a non-mFi MagSafe mount in my car, and my phone has never, ever fallen off. The magnets are shockingly strong (WAY more so than the Watch's)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How do you change the payment source for in-app purchases?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You have to go into your AppleID account options and change the credit card in there.
Yes, it sucks a lot compared to Apple Pay.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it just me or did there used to be a built-in level when you turned on the grid in the camera app but that seems to have been removed?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there a specific reason why the keychain copy/paste prompt doesn't come up when you make an IAP? Seems like something Apple employees would notice and fix quickly, but I don't think I've ever been able to copy a password from keychain for IAPs?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it just me or did there used to be a built-in level when you turned on the grid in the camera app but that seems to have been removed?

I can't say I remember one in the camera app. It would be nice, I apparently like to take photos very askew.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I can't say I remember one in the camera app. It would be nice, I apparently like to take photos very askew.
When you had the grid enabled, the lines in the center square would tilt based on the accelerometer. This feature was introduced around 2018 but now it's gone.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
There's still a level that will appear (not sure if it's dependent on the grid being on since I've always had it on) but only when the lens is parallel to the ground, useful for taking pictures of documents or whatnot and making sure the angle isn't too skewed. If there's something else beyond that that you're talking about, can't say I've ever noticed it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I can't get anything like that to pop up at all, grid enabled or not. 13 Pro Max on 15.5.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Halide does this.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I pre-ordered this full album that got released today but… why is track 2 missing? I had access to it before the album release as it had been released as a single, and there’s a “show complete album” button at the bottom of the album view that shows me the album again but with track 2 included where I can play the 30 second preview.

If I go to the iTunes Store page it tells me that song is “purchased” so why isn’t it part of the album?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Halide does this.
I just checked the Camera+ app and I think that’s what I was confusing it with. :doh:

Halide seems nice but since I already own Camera+, I’m not sure I’d gain much for cat pics and watch macros.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I pre-ordered this full album that got released today but… why is track 2 missing? I had access to it before the album release as it had been released as a single, and there’s a “show complete album” button at the bottom of the album view that shows me the album again but with track 2 included where I can play the 30 second preview.

If I go to the iTunes Store page it tells me that song is “purchased” so why isn’t it part of the album?

I didn’t realize Dir En Grey were still releasing albums, that’s cool.

Check in the hidden purchases section of the iTunes Store maybe? I don’t know how all that works but sometimes stuff gets stuck there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Skeezy posted:

I didn’t realize Dir En Grey were still releasing albums, that’s cool.

Check in the hidden purchases section of the iTunes Store maybe? I don’t know how all that works but sometimes stuff gets stuck there.
Hmm, track 2 is missing from the album in there (and is still listed separately as the single and not part of the album) but every one of my purchases is showing as downloaded.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

Hmm, track 2 is missing from the album in there (and is still listed separately as the single and not part of the album) but every one of my purchases is showing as downloaded.

If you use the web player (https://music.apple.com/us/album/phalaris/1624902480) can you play/download the track?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I have an AT&T iPhone Xr and I want to take advantage of AT&T’s promo credits as shown here: https://www.att.com/deals/

quote:

NEW AND EXISTING CUSTOMERS CAN GET UP TO $700 OFF ELIGIBLE SMARTPHONES

Can I do this at the apple store, or do I have to do it at an AT&T store?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not reading the terms but the whole point is you are opening a payment plan with ATT. Device promotions are a retention strategy.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Dave posted:

I'm not reading the terms but the whole point is you are opening a payment plan with ATT. Device promotions are a retention strategy.

Yep, you’re correct. I’ve done it before and you’re basically charged for the full monthly payment but you get a monthly credit in your wireless bill for up to a certain amount to equal $700 over 36 months.

I’m just not sure if I can do it at the apple store or if it has to be an AT&T store since it’s an AT&T promo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

To my surprise it looks like you can get it while buying through apple. Have you tried building a cart on apple.com? They advertise carrier promos there.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Dave posted:

To my surprise it looks like you can get it while buying through apple. Have you tried building a cart on apple.com? They advertise carrier promos there.

You’re right, it does look like that. Their faqs indicate they should be able to apply the carrier promo either ordering through apple.com or at the apple store.

Thanks for the tip!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SlowBloke posted:

If you use the web player (https://music.apple.com/us/album/phalaris/1624902480) can you play/download the track?
I’ll need to check when I’m back at a PC but I assumed the web player would only work for Apple Music subscribers and not just buying albums off iTunes without a sub.

Edit: Not sure this is a “fix”, but in the search results page on the iTunes app I saw the “Ł0.99” button to buy that specific song again (which would usually be shown on the album view in the shop where it said “Purchased” instead) so I just bought the song and it’s showing in my album view now in the music app.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 18, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Took a risk and went with the Airalo ESIM while I’m on Europe in the end, and everything working nicely. No complaints, even seems to be able to send out text messages on my US number from what I can tell which is… unexpected, but hey.

Definitely cheaper and faster than grabbing a SIM at the airport like I did before.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Dave posted:

I was able to purchase at the apple store and get the AT&T promo.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have a rather interesting problem on my hands.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus. Like every other iPhone known to man, it has a retina display.

This means any screenshots I take are huge! It's clogging up my phone's storage.

Is there a way I can automatically make screenshots smaller as I take them, with no further interaction needed?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Take fewer screen shots.

Alternatively I’ve run into your same problem and I’ve found cropping them helps reduce the file size. I seem to recall some of the screenshots being like 10mb+ which is a little ridiculous

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MarcusSA posted:

Alternatively I’ve run into your same problem and I’ve found cropping them helps reduce the file size. I seem to recall some of the screenshots being like 10mb+ which is a little ridiculous

I just set up a Shortcut to size the last screenshot down by 50%, but Automator doesn't have a trigger for 'when I take a screenshot', sadly.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
You could probably have the Automation run every night to batch resize/crop any screenshots taken in the last 24 hours though with enough work. (Plus one to do ALL screenshots to get through your previous ones)

I did find that on my iPad where any screenshot is too big to upload to Discord, literally any image change such as adding an imperceivable +1 brightness suddenly shrinks it way down.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Quackles posted:

I have an iPhone 7 Plus. Like every other iPhone known to man, it has a retina display.

This means any screenshots I take are huge! It's clogging up my phone's storage.

Is there a way I can automatically make screenshots smaller as I take them, with no further interaction needed?

Set up a third party service like onedrive to grab the phone photo library(screenshots included) and remove local copies?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a reason you’re saving them?
Whenever I take one, it’s usually just to fire off in a text message, so I just delete it from the screenshot tool when I’m done sharing it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Alternatively, upgrade your phone. It's not an answer people want to hear but smartphones 6 years ago were very different. iOS will support the hardware in principle, but you're going to continually run into hindrances like this.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’ve got an iPhone 7 for dev testing and I can’t imagine people still using it as a daily driver. That’s some commitment!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Quackles posted:

If you're taking so many screenshots it is filling up the phone's storage, it is probably for some specific reason (ie something work related). You might want to see if there's another, easier way to accomplish whatever purpose all the screenshots are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a reason you’re saving them?

It's video game screenshots :v:

Also, my phone says that my photos take roughly 3 GB of storage, but the phone is 32 GB and the rest of it is stuff I don't really want to delete (the aforementioned games, totaling maybe ~10 GB, and iOS itself, at 14 GB).

So I'm just trying to find space anywhere.

Also, for privacy reasons, I don't want my photos to leave the device / my local computer.

Inner Light posted:

Alternatively, upgrade your phone. It's not an answer people want to hear but smartphones 6 years ago were very different. iOS will support the hardware in principle, but you're going to continually run into hindrances like this.

I certainly could, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble just for more storage and losing Touch ID (which I've discovered I really like, and is much more controllable than Face ID because you don't usually rest your finger on the home button when using the phone). Fortunately, Apple still makes phones as physically big as the Plus, because I've found I've gotten attached to the large screen.

Use cases: most of what I use it for is Discord, the Awful app, and various games. I also make calls or texts occasionally, or take photos.