Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Similar but separate question: Is Nomifactory playable in skyblock mode? I know it was intended but not really fleshed out, because you had to get clay and the like from your surroundings early on. Have they overcome that or do you still need worldgen on?

I think their Discord had some FAQ entry about this and stated that the void dimension was kind of intended for that, but you'd have to do some early-game mining elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Okay so, while you can send them a rar with all the mods they'll need to still configure Forge/Fabric and the Minecraft launcher stuff in order to actually play, and also if you have to do any mod updates to anything you'll need to get them to grab each one manually too. All problems launchers specifically exist for.

As for making a pack, to answer both Isaacs Alter Ego and Impermanent, well that depends on how much effort you're willing to go into.

Recipes for example can be fixed in one of two ways: you can get a mod like https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/polymorph which will stick a big button next to the crafting grid letting you cycle through conflicting recipes; OR you will want something like https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/crafttweaker or https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/kubejs which will let you write scripts to change recipes. They may seem pretty daunting at first but the truth is editing recipes is generally as simple as writing a line to remove the old one, then writing in a new one. You also don't need to know 'how to code'.

Additionally, as OgNar alluded to, you'll probably want to go into the serverside configs of all your mods and work out what you want to keep, then disable everything else. For example if you want one mod's Tin Ore, you'll need to tell everything else generating Tin Ore to cut it out. They'll usually have something to let you do this. ..unless you're using a mod made by the baby's first mod generator MCreator. You're best off not using these.

If you want examples on how to do any of this, it's actually a good idea just to see what existing modpacks have done. Take a look at their modpack\scripts\ directory for .zs files if they're using Crafttweaker, or modpack\kubejs\server_scripts\ for .js files if KubeJS, or root around in their configs.

Edit: wow beaten while typing

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 15, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Learning a bit of crafttweaker is pretty handy, it's not too rare that a modpack will have a hosed up or conflicted recipe, especially larger ones.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJjifFq1NGY

So, initially I thought this was a modpack ... but it's not. It's its own thing.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yeah it is extremely Terrafirmacraft.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Okay I just discovered Vintage Story has a rope ladder mechanic that works exactly like something I've wanted in Minecraft forever, doubly so now with the massively increased terrain verticality. It only needs a single supporting block as anchor and can dangle down as far as you like; you add additional tiles onto the bottom of it from your inventory with crouch+RMB. RMB without crouching to instead pull it back up into your inventory one tile at a time starting from the bottom.

IT'S SO SIMPLE AND YET I SWEAR THERE DOESN'T EVEN EXIST A MOD THAT DOES THIS FOR MINECRAFT. :argh:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

IT'S SO SIMPLE AND YET I SWEAR THERE DOESN'T EVEN EXIST A MOD THAT DOES THIS FOR MINECRAFT. :argh:

While not quite as versatile there has been multiple rope ladder mods. OpenBlocks in particular has its interpretation of the Rope Ladder that you connect to the top and it automatically consumes ladders from your inventory until it hits the ground - all in one click, instantly.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Vintage story Is a good game. Worth checking out for sure.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Rynoto posted:

While not quite as versatile there has been multiple rope ladder mods. OpenBlocks in particular has its interpretation of the Rope Ladder that you connect to the top and it automatically consumes ladders from your inventory until it hits the ground - all in one click, instantly.

Huh, you know now that I see it I think I was using a pack at one point that had those but they were disabled or otherwise didn't work for some reason. Nice to know there was something, but of course it's another of the ones still stuck on 1.12.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Huh, you know now that I see it I think I was using a pack at one point that had those but they were disabled or otherwise didn't work for some reason. Nice to know there was something, but of course it's another of the ones still stuck on 1.12.

Quark has a rope that sounds like it works exactly the way you want, and they keep that mod pretty up-to-date.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

sophisticated backpacks is indeed a robust and extremely thorough mod. but some of the requirements for upgrades are so unbelievably insane that I just said gently caress it and JEI'd a few Everlasting upgrades because there's no way I'm getting 4 nether stars and four of the other thing for each upgrade

same goes for 8 netherite blocks for the compacting upgrade, that's just dumb, I found enough scrap for 2 ingots in two entire sessions of being in the nether.

Nether Star bullshit in various mods(looking at you, Resourceful Bees) is why I eventually sat down and cobbled together this monstrosity:

Behold, the Withermatic. This unholy monstrosity of Pedestals, Integrated Dynamics, and whatever Wither-proof block you have (In this case, Panzer blocks from Engineer's Decor) completely automates the annoying task of killing Withers. Just push the button and Integrated Dynamics delivers all the pieces to pedestals to build a Wither, with a timed delay on one of the heads to make sure it activates properly, in a shielded room with an attack pedestal below with the most damaging sword I could fit on it. Once dead, the Nether Star and the XP are picked up by another pedestal and deposited into a drawer and an XP tank respectively. Smooth as butter. Just don't go in the room while it's live.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
More modpacks just need to add Woot. Smack a wither with crystal, kill it, make it into a core and build a t4 machine around it for infinite, virtually no lag kills at the cost of power and the resources for the machine itself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mystical agriculture or whatever modpack lets you build a garden gloche is great since it lets you farm nether stars or any other rare bullshit pretty much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just JEI any bullshit item or enchantment I want and chuck a reasonable amount of another item in the trash to compensate. like I manually harvested and crafted the materials to get my way to a netherite pickaxe, but I still have yet to find a single village in my game world and only a single enchanting book with...sharpness 2 on it in all the time I've spent in my current world. so instead I just spawned whatever books I wanted to enchant the pickaxe with and chucked away 15 blocks of lapis for each enchantment as compensation.

same for exp, not being able to save exp means any death instantly resets me to like level 3, had a hoglin dive into lava to hit me off my perch into a lava sea once and lost 40 levels. gently caress the grind, I'll do a reasonable amount of work to get stuff, but some of the grindy aspects of minecraft are just insane.

case in point: I have the max stack upgrades in my sophisticated backpacks(threw away 30 gold blocks each as compensation) and I decided to try to farm some netherite to upgrade my diamond tools past the pickaxe. I got enough debris after a few session's farming to make about 8 bars(which I had to use multiple to keep the pickaxe working or make a new one to swap the enchants to). in comparison, I also collected every netherrack block I mined in the process, and now have over 60,000 netherrack in my backpacks. 32 ancient debris in 60,000 netherrack. that's insane, and ancient debris is apparently coded to never spawn exposed to air blocks, so you'll only ever find it by digging. it sucks. I even found two bastions and the "motherlode" chests at the bottom of them combined only had enough netherite scraps to make 1.5 bars. some of the base game stuff is way too grindy for how much you need.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

I just JEI any bullshit item or enchantment I want and chuck a reasonable amount of another item in the trash to compensate. like I manually harvested and crafted the materials to get my way to a netherite pickaxe, but I still have yet to find a single village in my game world and only a single enchanting book with...sharpness 2 on it in all the time I've spent in my current world. so instead I just spawned whatever books I wanted to enchant the pickaxe with and chucked away 15 blocks of lapis for each enchantment as compensation.

same for exp, not being able to save exp means any death instantly resets me to like level 3, had a hoglin dive into lava to hit me off my perch into a lava sea once and lost 40 levels. gently caress the grind, I'll do a reasonable amount of work to get stuff, but some of the grindy aspects of minecraft are just insane.

case in point: I have the max stack upgrades in my sophisticated backpacks(threw away 30 gold blocks each as compensation) and I decided to try to farm some netherite to upgrade my diamond tools past the pickaxe. I got enough debris after a few session's farming to make about 8 bars(which I had to use multiple to keep the pickaxe working or make a new one to swap the enchants to). in comparison, I also collected every netherrack block I mined in the process, and now have over 60,000 netherrack in my backpacks. 32 ancient debris in 60,000 netherrack. that's insane, and ancient debris is apparently coded to never spawn exposed to air blocks, so you'll only ever find it by digging. it sucks. I even found two bastions and the "motherlode" chests at the bottom of them combined only had enough netherite scraps to make 1.5 bars. some of the base game stuff is way too grindy for how much you need.

Did you dig out the entirety of each chunk or something?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nope, just putting an efficiency enchantment on a netherite pickaxe and swinging wildly will just evaporate all the netherrack in range, I'd go down to...Y=15 I think, the height that is apparently the most common for ancient debris, and cleared everything at character height + 1 higher. only problem is the durability, even with unbreaking it wears down insanely fast when hoovering netherrack. when I hit a lava ocean, I make a wall of obsidian and go in a different direction.

I don't know if there's an easier method for finding ancient debris, it seems ridiculously rare.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So you were clearing out... what, a 2x8 tunnel? Well, regardless, that's close enough to the expected amount of ancient debris, assuming you didn't look at the ceiling and floor very closely.
Also the wiki is wrong and it's like 10% better at y=16, but if you're standing at y=15 you should have that height covered anyway.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 16, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

And this is why I like Mekanism, because I can just tell my digital miner to go and find me
pre:
*ores/netherite_scrap*
and hit 32 radius zones until I have what I'm after. :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Captain Invictus posted:

nope, just putting an efficiency enchantment on a netherite pickaxe and swinging wildly will just evaporate all the netherrack in range, I'd go down to...Y=15 I think, the height that is apparently the most common for ancient debris, and cleared everything at character height + 1 higher. only problem is the durability, even with unbreaking it wears down insanely fast when hoovering netherrack. when I hit a lava ocean, I make a wall of obsidian and go in a different direction.

I don't know if there's an easier method for finding ancient debris, it seems ridiculously rare.

In All The Magic, there were potions that gave you sight buffs to see blocks through walls, was pretty handy. It had them for most of the high tier stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
see, that sort of thing would be wonderful. have it be expensive, or like, require some of the material that it's for finding more of. terraria had a really good one of those, the Spelunker's Potion, but I wager it'd be slightly different in 3D. even if it made those blocks emit an audio cue instead of a visual one would be great.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Captain Invictus posted:

see, that sort of thing would be wonderful. have it be expensive, or like, require some of the material that it's for finding more of. terraria had a really good one of those, the Spelunker's Potion, but I wager it'd be slightly different in 3D. even if it made those blocks emit an audio cue instead of a visual one would be great.
They'd really have to fix Minecraft's positional audio first, because it's still pretty much impossible to tell if a sound is above or below you.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Captain Invictus posted:

That is exactly how it works. Crush relevant ingot into powder, throw it in a brewing stand.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Echophonic posted:

That is exactly how it works. Crush relevant ingot into powder, throw it in a brewing stand.

Yep, that's from Potions Master: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/potionsmaster

It also works with Apotheosis's potion charms, so you can smash three together into an item that's just passive potion effect. Really handy if you want to manually dig.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

And this is why I like Mekanism, because I can just tell my digital miner to go and find me
pre:
*ores/netherite_scrap*
and hit 32 radius zones until I have what I'm after. :v:

The amount of packs that throw hilarious passive aggressive tantrums at the fact they want mekanism in their pack, but that the digiminer exists is hilarious, also the digiminer is the best thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

The amount of packs that throw hilarious passive aggressive tantrums at the fact they want mekanism in their pack, but that the digiminer exists is hilarious, also the digiminer is the best thing.

I would react with shock that people are mad about the digiminer, but nah, that tracks. God forbid getting to like the midway point of the mod lets you semi-automate tedium. :rolleyes:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've resolved a lot of my bugs in Nomifactory and I think I'm about two-thirds through the creative vending upgrade final quest now. I think most problems did ultimately come down to not properly using blocking mode on ME interfaces. I guess I thought I had tried it before I went to more drastic things, but apparently I didn't. I still see some bug where all tasks get stuck with things scheduled (yellow) but nothing actively happening. If I then try to import some of these ingredients after making them on the side, they just stay stuck in the scheduled state with the same quantity as before. What does this mean? Does anybody know how that might happened. My two thoughts are:

1. AE2 can get tripped up with multiple crafting CPUs using contended equipment. I don't think they have issues with on-hand ingredients themselves, if it's not around when you hit the go button, you get a note in the chat that something turned up to be missing.
2. PackagedAuto exacerbates any quirks with AE2 like this. The problem is that maybe it doesn't, but it would look like it because most final steps in these huge recipes involves slamming a bunch of crap into one of the larger crafting tables driven by PackagedAuto. So it's always hanging out there when things hang.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Depending on what you have available, anything that digs in an AOE ranging from a TNT-duplicating tunnel bore to an MNA Emanate Break spell.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Re: netherite: that’s one of the reasons an ore distribution mod is one of the two requirements I have before playing a new version of Minecraft (the other being an Apathetic Mobs type mod, or a hostile mob drops in peaceful mod in a pinch). Turn up the distribution, let it spawn exposed to air, blammo. I try vigorously to make my packs as ungrindy and chill as I can.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm playing the Medieval Minecraft pack and I'm still new to anything Minecraft added in the last 10 years. I ended up in the middle of the ocean next to a pirate ship thanks to a nether gate. I assumed it was one of those trader ships and I needed resources, but the ship was empty until I went below, and it was full of undead and some undead bosses that hit like a truck. Dunno if this was vanilla or from the pack. I also kept getting hit with the Mining Fatigue debuff when I went below which I thought could only come from the underwater guardians but there weren't any nearby as far as I could tell.

So anyway, since I got impatient with the debuff and couldn't just mine the top off the ship and let the sun kill everything I decided to be clever with a bucket of lava I had from the nether and poured it below. I figured I'd let it burn some stuff and kill some mobs before putting the lava back. Well, I certainly underestimated how quickly that got out of control. I nearly died and by the time I could pick up the lava block and put out fires half the ship had burned away. That did kill most of the mobs at least.

It felt like there was some kinda purpose to the ship but beyond a couple decent chests I didn't find anything. Did I destroy it in the lava armageddon or was it just random undead guarding some loot?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Most likely it was just a random structure with some mobs and treasure. Vanilla ship structures are all shipwrecks and don't have mobs pre-spawned in them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, that's from Potions Master: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/potionsmaster

It also works with Apotheosis's potion charms, so you can smash three together into an item that's just passive potion effect. Really handy if you want to manually dig.
cool, thanks! does potions master work on ancient debris? that's pretty much the only one I have trouble finding a lot of, even diamonds aren't THAT much of a problem.

NiftyBottle posted:

Re: netherite: that’s one of the reasons an ore distribution mod is one of the two requirements I have before playing a new version of Minecraft (the other being an Apathetic Mobs type mod, or a hostile mob drops in peaceful mod in a pinch). Turn up the distribution, let it spawn exposed to air, blammo. I try vigorously to make my packs as ungrindy and chill as I can.
do you have one you can recommend? that sounds like a nice addition.

also, and I am sure I am opening a can of worms here, but I started getting recommended random "Skyblock" videos on youtube with ridiculous amounts of views, and some folks I follow have done their own skyblock stuff. what's all that about?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

cool, thanks! does potions master work on ancient debris? that's pretty much the only one I have trouble finding a lot of, even diamonds aren't THAT much of a problem.

also, and I am sure I am opening a can of worms here, but I started getting recommended random "Skyblock" videos on youtube with ridiculous amounts of views, and some folks I follow have done their own skyblock stuff. what's all that about?

Yes it works on Ancient Debris. You make the powder for the potion with netherite scrap. Depending on what other mods you have and how they're configured; you could make a charm with mending. Or maybe use Ars Nouveau's potion setup to extend the duration.

Edit: Thermal's Potion Infuser appears to be able to extend the duration of a potion by up to 400% (Four Alchemical Extenders). Apotheosis's charms are the best bet when infused (unbreakable), but take a bit more to setup than thermal.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 17, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, it has a potion of Netheritesight, made from one piece of debris.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gotcha, sorry, the page didn't mention netherite so I thought it might be excluded

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Captain Invictus posted:

Skyblock is a mod pack style where you start on a small floating island in an empty void. Maybe it’s a tree on literally just one block of dirt, maybe it’s Botania’s “Garden of Glass” island, or maybe it’s not actually a block in the sky (like Stoneblock, for example). Regardless, the point is that you can’t go out and collect resources so you have to obtain them by other means. There are many mods that give you ways to do this, but the most common is Ex Nihilo, which is mainly about crushing cobblestone (usually obtained via lava+water) into gravel/sand/dust/etc and sifting it to get ores.

Personally I really enjoy skyblocks, because exploration can sometimes be frustrating and I really hate Minecraft combat. Skyblock refocuses things towards setting up automation and solving the puzzle of “how do I get X if I can’t just go mine it?”

Fun fact, the original skyblock was actually unmodded. It was just a custom map in vanilla.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've resolved a lot of my bugs in Nomifactory and I think I'm about two-thirds through the creative vending upgrade final quest now. I think most problems did ultimately come down to not properly using blocking mode on ME interfaces. I guess I thought I had tried it before I went to more drastic things, but apparently I didn't. I still see some bug where all tasks get stuck with things scheduled (yellow) but nothing actively happening. If I then try to import some of these ingredients after making them on the side, they just stay stuck in the scheduled state with the same quantity as before. What does this mean? Does anybody know how that might happened. My two thoughts are:

1. AE2 can get tripped up with multiple crafting CPUs using contended equipment. I don't think they have issues with on-hand ingredients themselves, if it's not around when you hit the go button, you get a note in the chat that something turned up to be missing.
2. PackagedAuto exacerbates any quirks with AE2 like this. The problem is that maybe it doesn't, but it would look like it because most final steps in these huge recipes involves slamming a bunch of crap into one of the larger crafting tables driven by PackagedAuto. So it's always hanging out there when things hang.

Wish I could help with this kind of thing. I see these posts of yours and think, gosh that sucks, hope he figures it out!

I’m on the cusp on getting my first creative tank having been playing for nearly a year now (lol). I think at that point I’m going to try to very deliberately create systems that don’t share as much as that is possible to prevent things like you describe.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

runchild posted:

Fun fact, the original skyblock was actually unmodded. It was just a custom map in vanilla.

Not too long ago I played the One Block skyblock which was pretty fun, and also completely in vanilla via command blocks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FuzzySlippers posted:

It felt like there was some kinda purpose to the ship but beyond a couple decent chests I didn't find anything. Did I destroy it in the lava armageddon or was it just random undead guarding some loot?

I've lost track of which mods do any of this kind of thing, but there's been more than one over the years doing ships like that. The debuff is new to me but I'm not surprised. I would assume it's to keep people from cheesing it by punching holes into the sides. There should be loot but it comes down to how well the pack coded loot tables. If they didn't do anything, it's probably just some emerald diamond garbage.

Lordshmee posted:

Wish I could help with this kind of thing. I see these posts of yours and think, gosh that sucks, hope he figures it out!

I’m on the cusp on getting my first creative tank having been playing for nearly a year now (lol). I think at that point I’m going to try to very deliberately create systems that don’t share as much as that is possible to prevent things like you describe.

Thanks for chiming in. Let me recommend looking at the creative vending upgrade so you can see where your life is going. The creative vending upgrade quest is like a master's thesis in comparison to any of the other quests.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Captain Invictus posted:

Currently I’ve just made the switch from Large Ore Deposits (also can control normal ore deposits) to Ore Tweaker, which seems a bit more powerful with defaults closer to vanilla in 1.18.2 (LOD doesn’t seem to have updates its defaults for negative y values). Neither has been updated to 1.19 yet, unfortunately.

For versions where they were available, MMD OreSpawn and the various places oregen via the Thermal series wound up were also good, but it’s been a bit since those were available (Thermal still exists, but no longer controls vanilla ore).

There may be a way to do something with data packs, but that’s beyond me.

NiftyBottle fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
KubeJS does orespawn just btw.