Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I want flea back since people don't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nodoze posted:

This episode is like exhibit A of the disconnect between people who just watch things and go "that was good product, I'm ready for next product" without taking a second to think about any of it and people who watch it and think logically about what is going on. It was really bad

I mean it's a Star Wars TV show. I don't think you go into it expecting to think that hard.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nodoze posted:

Why is Bail Organa the dumbest man alive, and Obi Wan the next dumbest man alive. If you think Obi Wan got captured why the hell are you sending him a message with all of the things someone would need to know to about Luke being someone really important, and if you are Obi-Wan how in the hell do you not see that and immediately destroy the communicator with the message or erase it :psyduck:

Bail is supposed to be a founding member of the rebellion and he knows how important the twins are, how could he do something like that and put Luke into that kind of danger. Obi-Wan knows how important Luke is and that he can't let anything happen to him or anyone find out about him. That is just colossally stupid on so many levels by both of them
Oh my God, exactly. During the message scene, I was thinking, "Hmm, he even says how it's important that they kept radio silence, but still blabs about the plan anyway even though it could be intercepted by the empire?" Why didn't he speak in code, saying how he was going to go to "the other planet" to protect "the other one." Nah, he literally says Tatooine, Owen, and other child. And having Kumail drop it like that was such anger-inducing writing.

EDIT: So Reva, even though she was stabbed through the chest/stomach, is going to be healed enough to fly to Tatooine in the next episode? I guess the only thing she could do is drag herself over to the rebel base bacta tank? That's my only possible thought.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 16, 2022

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean it's a Star Wars TV show. I don't think you go into it expecting to think that hard.

The whole point of not thinking hard is the pieces seemlessly fall into your monkey brain. If every single scene something weird happens that makes you go "huh what that doesn't follow" then it's a problem.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Necrothatcher posted:

"it's a ___ show" is not an excuse for terrible writing. You don't need to think hard at all for this shows glaring issues to show up

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

If Vader (and other jedi) can force pull ships around why did he decide the rebel starfighters had to be destroyed ship to ship in ANH? He should have just gone to the viewing lounge and force pulled the rebel ships into each other/the trench walls.

Oh yeah! Because the clowns making the ST thought it would "look cool" if Rey did it and now it's a thing.

Could be worse. Force healing tells us Qui Gon died for no reason, or a fully trained Jedi Knight (and about to be master) simply can't heal despite us having seen a literal baby and a self trained not Jedi doing it.

Nodoze posted:

This episode is like exhibit A of the disconnect between people who just watch things and go "that was good product, I'm ready for next product" without taking a second to think about any of it and people who watch it and think logically about what is going on. It was really bad

Why did they send just two ships of troops down, not have any air support to cover an attempted escape, sit there and let a cannon shoot at the door when Reva could just walk up and cut it open with her lightsaber as she ended up doing anyway. Why is Bail Organa the dumbest man alive, and Obi Wan the next dumbest man alive. If you think Obi Wan got captured why the hell are you sending him a message with all of the things someone would need to know to about Luke being someone really important, and if you are Obi-Wan how in the hell do you not see that and immediately destroy the communicator with the message or erase it :psyduck:

Bail is supposed to be a founding member of the rebellion and he knows how important the twins are, how could he do something like that and put Luke into that kind of danger. Obi-Wan knows how important Luke is and that he can't let anything happen to him or anyone find out about him. That is just colossally stupid on so many levels by both of them

The story has been unsalvageable since the first episode.
Ultimately though, it's just so badly directed it's insane that this is a multi million dollar production. But I still enjoyed what I saw, nothing quite took me out of the show like the previous episodes did.

EDIT:

JazzFlight posted:

Oh my God, exactly. During the message scene, I was thinking, "Hmm, he even says how it's important that they kept radio silence, but still blabs about the plan anyway even though it could be intercepted by the empire?" Why didn't he speak in code, saying how he was going to go to "the other planet" to protect "the other one." Nah, he literally says Tatooine, Owen, and other child. And having Kumail drop it like that was such anger-inducing writing.

EDIT: So Reva, even though she was stabbed through the chest/stomach, is going to be healed enough to fly to Tatooine in the next episode? I guess the only thing she could do is drag herself over to the rebel base bacta tank? That's my only possible thought.

Bacta tanks are going to be tje next overused plot device aren't they? They're going to fix everyone up easily leaving everyone else to wonder why Vader is still charred

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It's not like the OT asked audiences to think particularly hard. It's just that there were internal rules in that universe, and, by and large, everyone acted in ways that were consistent with those rules and what was established about their characters.

Suspension of disbelief is not a blank check. It's reasonable to ask audiences to believe in space magic. But if the rules of the space magic just constantly change and characters just constantly do stupid things and/or spontaneously develop highly specialized skills that are needed to solve the particular obstacle they are facing that is unreasonable.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue is that we’re meant to assume Reza knows about the space-meth gang (the ones she hires to kidnap Leia) from her pre-Inquisition days. She grew up homeless on a Libertarian planet, which is why she acts like life is cheap. That’s the kind of logical implication that provides characterization.

So you can’t have it both ways.

1. you're still getting her name wrong, at this point I have to assume intentionally

2. what are you on about? where the gently caress have you plucked the idea that she grew up homeless on a libertarian planet?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Why do people want SMG to spell names correctly?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

She grew up in the Jedi temple, until a certain point anyway

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Necrothatcher posted:

I feel a bit sorry for people who get genuinely hung up on "why didn't X logical thing happen" because it seems like a really exhausting way to consume fiction.

Like, I know Leia can fix electronics because I'm watching her fix electronics.

Those kinds of criticisms for the most aren't genuinely questioning why the writers didn't follow a logical progression, at least in this thread; they're pointing out how poorly written and executed the show is.

Like I know that the force abilities of characters obviously fluctuate depending on what the narrative calls for, but the way they are depicted here is just poorly thought out and reflective of much broader issues with ST era media (i.e. neglecting character development and coherent narratives in favour of action set pieces, pushing force power creep because directors/writers feel they need to do something new, etc.).

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Nodoze posted:

This episode is like exhibit A of the disconnect between people who just watch things and go "that was good product, I'm ready for next product" without taking a second to think about any of it and people who watch it and think logically about what is going on.

People can watch things and be aware and understanding of the issues - and more specifically, the limitations on the production - and still find the result fine and interesting without being a droll consumer idiot. You don't need to pat yourself on the back for being smarter by not liking it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Butterfly Valley posted:

2. what are you on about? where the gently caress have you plucked the idea that she grew up homeless on a libertarian planet?

Reza is confusing to audiences because she has two (2) distinct tragic backstories, but only one is properly illustrated.

The first tragic backstory is that, like all Jedis, Reza was taken from her family and indoctrinated into a cult at a young age. Then Anakin stabbed her in the gut and left her for dead (for reasons the series doesn’t really go into). This is the straightforward explanation for why she wants to kill Anakin.

The second backstory is that, after being stabbed, she miraculously survived but spent years living in “the gutter”. That’s what turned her into a misanthrope, specifically resentful towards the Jedis who went into hiding instead of fighting the Empire. She doesn’t actually have any specific personal beef with Obiwan, but this backstory is why she has no real concern for his life.

The dialogue is extremely on-the-nose about Libertarian Planet being a place where kids get lost and are never found again. Reza constantly complains about how nobody came to rescue her when she was a little girl - that the Jedi were cowards who abandoned the people they were supposed to serve. Flea and the meth guys use the same rhetoric.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Star Wars TV Megathread: Flea and the meth guys use the same rhetoric

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why didn't he call Ewan chicken, or y'know, "space chicken"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Is that Lando show they talked about still happening?

LucasFilm blames Solo's failure on the fact they recast Han and Lando instead of butchering the movie themselves behind the scenes, so it seems incredibly unlikely, even though the framing device of Billy Dee Williams Lando sitting at a Sabacc table telling kinda-sorta-maybe-dude-trust-me stories about Donald Glover Lando has promise

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Spermando posted:

Why do people want SMG to spell names correctly?

Because it's a dumb gimmick that makes me skip the post immediately.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm mostly turned off by how everyone can just survive being impaled by lightsaber now. I keep thinking back to Sidious revealing himself in Ep3 and how the jedi accompanying Windu were mortally wounded by glancing blows, I'm pretty sure he only cut their robes.

But the other thing that gets me in any show or movie is when a threat is introduced and then it seems like time stops to allow the good guys to figure it out. How fuckin long was Leia up in that panel box? Jesus now I'm thinking about QGJ taking forever to open that blast door at the beginning of Ep1 and how Reva just instantly opened the one in this episode, even if it was already weakened.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

Because it's a dumb gimmick that makes me skip the post immediately.

It seems like a really exhausting way to consume TV IV posts.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

codo27 posted:

I'm mostly turned off by how everyone can just survive being impaled by lightsaber now. I keep thinking back to Sidious revealing himself in Ep3 and how the jedi accompanying Windu were mortally wounded by glancing blows, I'm pretty sure he only cut their robes.

But the other thing that gets me in any show or movie is when a threat is introduced and then it seems like time stops to allow the good guys to figure it out. How fuckin long was Leia up in that panel box? Jesus now I'm thinking about QGJ taking forever to open that blast door at the beginning of Ep1 and how Reva just instantly opened the one in this episode, even if it was already weakened.

Agreed, it's dumb. The problem isn't that nobody force healed Qui-Gon, it's that a lightsaber blow to the body or head should be game over. Force healing can be a thing but it should have high costs and require peace and calm for a while to do, aka not while you still have a Sith Lord to fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can survive getting shivved by a Saber but the lethality of a blaster bolt is determined by how tragic the death scene will be.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nodoze posted:

Yoda dunked on Ventress in the Clone Wars animated show. She was no match for him and he even tells her as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcsrxcHZz6s&t=21s

He can't do that to someone like Dooku or Palpatine

Man that animation was pretty bad starting out.

I do enjoy how it sounds like Yoda calls Dooku a oval office at 1:06

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

Bro they literally have goddamn wiki entries for the most side/nothing characters of all time on wookiepedia. People absolutely DO think this hard about star wars. Are you new here

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
drat, this episode was pretty great! I loved Obi Wan's manipulation of 3rd Sister, I really ended up liking the flashback with Padawan Anakin, and the Vader flexing at the end was fantastic.

Fun stuff!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

codo27 posted:

Still a few too many head scratcher "well why didn't they just ____" marvel kinda moments

Why did Reva use the hover artillery if her lightsaber could open the door in seconds?

Or this:

Spermando posted:

a siege where the attacking faction has infinite resources and doesn't have anyone watching over the roof of the hangar

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 16, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How are u posted:

drat, this episode was pretty great! I loved Obi Wan's manipulation of 3rd Sister, I really ended up liking the flashback with Padawan Anakin, and the Vader flexing at the end was fantastic.

Fun stuff!
*taps the thread title*

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
My issue with this series is that the skeleton of this show is not bad by any means, but all of this seems like they decided to run with the rough draft of the script because a lot of pretty minor changes could have made this a lot more digestible than it is

Like it blew my mind that Obi-Wan was like “I’ll stall for time,” made a Hail Mary and actually got Reva to drop her entire backstory instead of opening that door, and the rebel group is still just standing there the entire time not doing poo poo. And I swear that second ship was not in that drat hangar at first.

Also lmao at Reva crouch walking behind Vader for a bit; it’s goofy but I mean.. it’s not entirely a bad strategy if she noticed that 1) this mother fucker can’t turn around in that armor that well, and 2) he seems significantly less aware of sneak attacks than frontal assaults

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hazo posted:

Man that animation was pretty bad starting out.

I do enjoy how it sounds like Yoda calls Dooku a oval office at 1:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_a89fbwX3g

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

MechaX posted:

My issue with this series is that the skeleton of this show is not bad by any means, but all of this seems like they decided to run with the rough draft of the script because a lot of pretty minor changes could have made this a lot more digestible than it is

Like it blew my mind that Obi-Wan was like “I’ll stall for time,” made a Hail Mary and actually got Reva to drop her entire backstory instead of opening that door, and the rebel group is still just standing there the entire time not doing poo poo. And I swear that second ship was not in that drat hangar at first.

Also lmao at Reva crouch walking behind Vader for a bit; it’s goofy but I mean.. it’s not entirely a bad strategy if she noticed that 1) this mother fucker can’t turn around in that armor that well, and 2) he seems significantly less aware of sneak attacks than frontal assaults

This drove me nuts too, thank you for reminding me.

WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WHEN WE CAN.

Should we have this motley crew of civilians and refugees get on the ship so it can leave as soon as possible?

NAH, LETS JUST USE AIRLINE BOARDING PROCEDURES AND HAVE EVERYONE FILE ON WITH THEIR BELONGINGS AFTER WE GET THE WORD.

As far as the two ships go, call me a cynic but it seemed like that whole scene might have been a middle finger to people for making fun of the Chewbacca death fakeout in....whichever one that happened in.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 16, 2022

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Bro they literally have goddamn wiki entries for the most side/nothing characters of all time on wookiepedia. People absolutely DO think this hard about star wars. Are you new here

Right? Like this is the fandom that produced an action figure and a short story about a man who was on screen for a split second with an ice cream maker.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gin_Rummy posted:

Right? Like this is the fandom that produced an action figure and a short story about a man who was on screen for a split second with an ice cream maker.

Well, sure, but just to be funny.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yes. But the point still stands, dammit!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it was funny how ice cube's son was like, oh if all these star wars fans are RACIST, they're gonna LOVE what MY character does, and we're on the finale and i can't really think of a single 'thing' he has done

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That DICK! posted:

it was funny how ice cube's son was like, oh if all these star wars fans are RACIST, they're gonna LOVE what MY character does, and we're on the finale and i can't really think of a single 'thing' he has done

He exists while black on screen, which is the problem they have.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was sure it was him but also not sure? Until I IMDB'd it last night and was vindicated. This show should have had the writing improved and been at least a 10 parter to flesh out more of the characters. You're supposed to feel something when the dumb robot falls on..Tarla? but c'mon man. I dont care about these people

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Back Hack posted:

Not to be that guy, but when you see someone get stabbed through the chest by a magic laser sword that can melt anything, you don't need someone to tell you they died. It's basically assumed.

Have you ever seen a TV show before? Weapons are always as deadly as they need to be. Sometimes a shot to the gut is instantly fatal, sometimes its barely slows them down.

Szmitten posted:

People can watch things and be aware and understanding of the issues - and more specifically, the limitations on the production - and still find the result fine and interesting without being a droll consumer idiot. You don't need to pat yourself on the back for being smarter by not liking it.

Yea, that's literally the lowest form of criticism, "Only stupid people like this". Its fine not to like something and point out why you didn't like it, but to turn around and add if you do like it your a dumb stupid baby.

But gotta be :smug: and prove you watched it better than everyone else, what do you want, a medal?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

twistedmentat posted:

Have you ever seen a TV show before? Weapons are always as deadly as they need to be. Sometimes a shot to the gut is instantly fatal, sometimes its barely slows them down.

Yea, that's literally the lowest form of criticism, "Only stupid people like this". Its fine not to like something and point out why you didn't like it, but to turn around and add if you do like it your a dumb stupid baby.

But gotta be :smug: and prove you watched it better than everyone else, what do you want, a medal?

I didn't say only stupid people like this. I pointed out this is a good episode for the distinction between people who watch things and don't really put any thought into what is going on and the people who do. It was easy to get distracted by the surface level things in this episode; Vader showed up and was a spectacle, the flashback scene with Obi-Wan and Anakin, Obi-Wan being less worthless than the previous episodes. It checked a lot of fan service boxes, which is fine if the underlying framework isn't held together with half attached scotch tape from the dollar store. That doesn't mean the people in the first group are morons and watching it "wrong"

I put forth actual criticism of the episode, not just "only dummies like this" which isn't even what I was saying anyway. It is possible for things to be in both groups too, big dumb action or fun with a skeleton that isn't dog poo poo

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Alternate take for Ice Cube Jr's introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scfv1phAJcw

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In some actual good news:

Taika Waititi Will Expand ‘Star Wars’ Away from Preexisting Characters, Forget Prequel Origin Stories. The galaxy far, far away will no longer look backward to Luke, Leia, Han Solo, and Darth Vader.

“Look, I think for the ‘Star Wars’ universe to expand, it has to expand,” Waititi told Total Film about his yet-to-be-titled movie. “I don’t think that I’m any use in the ‘Star Wars’ universe making a film where everyone’s like, ‘Oh great, well that’s the blueprints to the Millennium Falcon, ah that’s Chewbacca’s grandmother.'”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Here's a few of thoughts I had on ep5.

- The last 10 minutes of the episodes were pretty good, and I did enjoy the hell out of watching Vader toying with Reva.

- The prior 20+ minutes, however, were pretty meandering.

- The editing was noticeably shoddy in the final scene because I'm pretty sure the actual escape transport had vanished before we see it taking off later (??) and I could have sworn Reva's saber was broken in two before she retrieved it at the very end (?).

- I really did like Kenobi's tactic of leaving his weapons behind to make a play at turning Reva.

- A friend of mine texted me each of the past three weeks saying "they need to have Vader and Kenobi have a real showdown because the line from ANH about 'last we met you were the master...' etc won't make sense." I actually think, as unsatisfying as it may be, this episode achieved that. Obi Wan schools Vader by outsmarting him without ever swinging his lightsaber, reflecting the flashback fight we saw.

- The Bail Organa message to Kenobi seemed uncharacteristically stupid, considering how careful he's always been. The only thing I could think to reconcile it would be that he's frenzied over the uncertainty of Leia, but even still, talk in code maybe?

I'm going to withhold my final thoughts on the series as a whole until next week, but a few things on my mind already...

- This show has so many great moments and interesting ideas, but as it continues to shape up, I really can't help but think it should have been the movie it was originally intended to be. The pacing and plot progression is much more in line with BoBF than Mando.

- I don't care for the over-reliance of plot conveniences "because the plot had to happen" stuff. A tracker, again? Oh, Bail sent a message he shouldn't have been with a ton of clues for Reva to do something dumb? Character has the exact right amount of time to meander through a solution to an exact thing needed? Once or twice, ok, but this show relies on them way too much.

I'm really anxious to see how next week goes down, but I have no expectation of a true penultimate showdown between Vader and Kenobi. I suspect the ending will be rather 'small' relative to everything that has happened already.