Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m starting in on the Black Eagles and I love Seteth talking to Edelgard after her proposal to use the church to overthrow her uncle like she’s just proposed a particularly risky Independent Study and if she has been lying to go gently caress around at the mall with her creepy goth friend she won’t be able to walk at graduation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

correct me if i'm wrong, but does ike ever actually touch the fire emblem? I could've sworn that only mist (and the herons) ever does, because one time he tried to touch it as a kid and his dad (understandably) flipped his poo poo.
And i always saw "mist can touch it without going insane" as "mist is noble and pure and doesn't have violent urges that she would act on anyways so its fine" which is very funny considering you can very easily make her into an absolute monster of a unit

It's Heroes Canon that there's a universe with Berserk!Ike, for whatever that's worth. Maybe Cipher too, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

I'm so upset that Lorenz' dad's hair is the same as his (post TS in three houses). It makes sense, but... I wanted Lorenz' hair to be an independent choice he made, but it looks like it's some sort of family tradition. I wonder if every Gloucester for years has gotten the same awful and strange bowlcut upon entry to Garreg Mach to grow out or if it changes based on the trends. On the other hand, Lorenz' rose effects are very cool.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Deer all showing up to help isn't weird at all even without White Clouds. It's less a bond of personal affection like it is in Three Houses and more of a practical consideration, though.

Claude is repeatedly shown to be basically desperate for associates and acquaintances he can rely on to get poo poo done outside of the stifling paralysis of the Alliance government - it's why he hires Shez, after all - so it's really not weird for him to go "well I spent a month with these people and we fought together before in a couple of decent-sized battles, including against a full-scale Almyran invasion, and it worked well, so I'm going to send some messages and ask for their support". As for why they'd respond, well, Claude's the leader of a powerful noble house and also first among equals in the Alliance government, so doing favors for him is an extremely prudent idea.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

There's good reasons for all the golden deer to return

Claude, Lorenz, Hilda, and Lysithea are politically obligated in one way or another, and Marianne's dad is also motivated to send her. Ignatz works directly under Lorenz, and Raphael is best buds with Ignatz so of course he's going. Leonie is a merc.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just want to be able to recruit Lysithea into her proper house.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love Claude and I am excited to play this game

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

lunar detritus posted:

I just want to be able to recruit Lysithea into her proper house.

Lysithea was the one unit who could be recruited after chapter 13 in Three Houses, solely to give players one last chance at getting her to her correct faction.

If there are any recruitment mechanics in the game at all (I can’t imagine there won’t be), this will have to be an option.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Lysithea was the one unit who could be recruited after chapter 13 in Three Houses, solely to give players one last chance at getting her to her correct faction.

If there are any recruitment mechanics in the game at all (I can’t imagine there won’t be), this will have to be an option.

Post campaign lets you do whatever you like in other Warriors games, so you could have Edelgard, Claude, Dimitri and Hubert all on the same team if you wanted, that's how Age of Calamity let you save Hyrule playing as Calamity Ganon after all.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You could also recruit Ashe and rerecruit Lorenz on certain routes after post-skip as well, I believe.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Those were all characters leaving and rejoining you, not joining for the first time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It was fun to see Ashe on the other side, knock him down in one hit, then recruit him back.

I pictured Byleth bonking him over the head with their sword and then doing the disappointed teacher look while saying "well, have you thought about what you did, young man?"

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Lysithea may be a good fit for the Black Eagles, but she's already in the correct house. :colbert:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Three Hopes really shows how much of an afterthought Golden Deer was. Gotta create an invasion because there was nothing to use from three houses.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

lunar detritus posted:

Three Hopes really shows how much of an afterthought Golden Deer was. Gotta create an invasion because there was nothing to use from three houses.

I don't know about that, I thought it was cool to see more about the Almyrans given how big a part of Claude's backstory they are. Meeting Shahid and getting a glimpse at the sort of politics Claude/Khalid has been dealing with over there went a long way to explaining why he's always seemed so distracted in Three Houses - he's basically got two different Fire Emblem games going on at once and has to keep running back and forth between them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

lunar detritus posted:

"There is constant political infighting between Leicester's nominally equal noble houses not beholden to an absolute monarch like the other two nations" and "Fodlan's first and primary line of defense against a very powerful neighboring country that has expansionist ambitions" are both extremely strong and interesting story hooks, but both of them are largely divorced from Three Houses's primary thrust being about church politics, dragons, and an evil underground techno-cult so they didn't get a lot of time in the sun.

If anything, Three Hopes might give the Golden Deer more of their own niche with more Almyran stuff, because that stuff was Claude(and to a lesser extent, all the nobles in the Deer)'s primary focus up until Three Houses happened.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Did they mention any sort of mission mode? That was my favorite part of the first fire emblem warriors and I want to pick my favorite characters and make a dream team instead of being stuck with one house.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Overbite posted:

Did they mention any sort of mission mode? That was my favorite part of the first fire emblem warriors and I want to pick my favorite characters and make a dream team instead of being stuck with one house.

No. The battle missions in a chapter that isn't the main mission already serve a similiar purpose.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Overbite posted:

No announcement for sure, but I speculate there might be based on some datamine stuff. Very light spoilers but I'll keep it barred for safety's sake: Certain characters have map sprites for all four faction colors even if it makes no sense whatsoever. This might be because of some sort of bug-prevention thing or indicating characters showing up in bizarre situations not possible in the main game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
found a video of the various unique quotes in new Fire Emblem and

monica, please

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Not sure if I missed it on Azure Gleam, but on Crimson Blaze the NPC that mentions Abyss days their inhabitants are fighting for Garech Mach but it might be worth recruiting them, so the Ashen Wolves probably enemy bosses you can recruit after beating them (main quest or side mission, no idea of that)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

found a video of the various unique quotes in new Fire Emblem and

monica, please

Literally me. I love her so much.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also the conceit of this game and the playable characters are kind of a hilarious juxtaposition. Cutting through literal hundreds of mooks makes sense as Shez or Byleth or Catherine or Dimitri, but it kind of falls apart when you think a little bit about how or why Manuela is a whirlwind of death with her fists if you class her that way

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Deltasquid posted:

Also the conceit of this game and the playable characters are kind of a hilarious juxtaposition. Cutting through literal hundreds of mooks makes sense as Shez or Byleth or Catherine or Dimitri, but it kind of falls apart when you think a little bit about how or why Manuela is a whirlwind of death with her fists if you class her that way
every man she kills is someone who rejected her in the past

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

If they were going to limit playable characters, making it just people with crests would've been one way to do it AND make it make sense in the narrative. I don't think it would've been a good choice, but it certainly is one. :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Manuela punching everyone to death is absolutely in character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

If anything, the Three Houses crew is the most logical Fire Emblem cast for mowing down armies of mooks, since battalions existing meant it was quite possible to have your solo folks routing regiments of enemy soldiers.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Deltasquid posted:

The Zelda fanbase went through this when Agatha and Tingle threw down over in Hyrule Warriors, just don't think about it and you'll be fine.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
as a musou veteran I can assure you that you'll grow accustomed to everybody being an unstoppable killing machine in gameplay terms regardless of actual skill or personality

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

The Zelda fanbase went through this when Agatha and Tingle threw down over in Hyrule Warriors, just don't think about it and you'll be fine.
forget tingle, what about Marin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04oI4VJJwU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I wouldn't be surprised if beating the game unlocked an unlimited free play replay all missions mode, to be honest.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If I can just have Felix walk straight forward and massacre everything in front of him then it's an accurate retelling of 3H

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
tingle and agitha are internationally wanted war criminals did you guys just not keep up with zelda lore

it's like you guys didn't even play the japan only spin off that was only released for the super ngage+

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Got to the end of chapter four with Black Eagles, I'll probably go do the other two routes to see what they're up to and get to know their characters, and then maybe grind out some support conversations. This isn't my Switch, so I won't really be able to transfer my save data over to the full version anyway, so I'll have to start over whenever I get a Switch and buy the game.

Monica's C level is kind of funny though. "Why didn't you watch Edelgard eating? You idiot!"

On another note I kind of hope that it's easier to regain training/activity points in the full game, that's the one criticism I have at the moment, but it's hard to say if it's even a problem at all since the game is pretty clearly easing you into the systems and isn't necessarily representative of what later chapters will be like.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Deltasquid posted:

There's a reason her class is Assassin if she doesn't join anyone after the skip...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deltasquid posted:

She has Drunk White Lady strength.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I feel very cheated whenever I unlock a support level that doesn't have a conversation associated with it. It's so bizarre that Monica and Edel's C has nothing when their interaction is so highly emphasized everywhere else

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You don't need words to showcase Monica's love

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

On another note I kind of hope that it's easier to regain training/activity points in the full game, that's the one criticism I have at the moment, but it's hard to say if it's even a problem at all since the game is pretty clearly easing you into the systems and isn't necessarily representative of what later chapters will be like.

One of the pop-ups say they replenish every time you advance the story, which I’m guessing is the main way to get them. Training gives a shitload of class exp and activities seem to be the big drivers of support points, so they look like they’re balanced by being limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Just having a non mission way to get support is super nice. Granted I think they got rid of skill sharing in general, but if they didn't you will be VERY thankful you don't need to do hundreds of missions with whoever has the astra equivalent to share to your entire army. :shepicide: