Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Eraflure posted:

Deadfire is an excellent game for what it's worth

This was actually pre-deadfire.

And it was uh, components-wise, a really top-quality game. The art was great, and it was oddly ambitious for a game with such a terrible mechanical basis. Like the box and token components are superior to, say, the Stardew Valley game. It's a grab-bag of "as many ideas as we possibly can cram in here", so there's elements of worker placement, drawing resources blindly from a bag, you had dungeons and wilderness decks for equipping adventurers and going out for adventures, a campaign system and individual quests that each player can use to get victory points. It even had a classic "This is loving stupid, why did you bother?" kickstarter reward in the form of uh, really big playing cards for all of the main companions (they still had regular cards, you just had...big ones for no reason. It's not like you could shuffle them into the deck. And they aren't art, they still have all the rules and such for game pieces).

Like, if the game didn't live and die on what cards you randomly drew from a deck, it'd be really good. It's super lore friendly and I'm just baffled at the decision for the entire game to be about random universal deck drawing. I'm somewhat sure there was a direct line from Obshitian to Zero Radius games, because outside the game being kind of crappy, this is a very accurate adaptation. And it's boring and your enjoyment is entirely based on if you draw good cards.

Oh well.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Bottom Liner posted:

I wouldn't recommend this for a few reasons. You can buy the game and expansions now cheaper than MSRP and that campaign won't be delivered until 2024.

Alternatively, you could get the app now and wait for physical if you're down with that.
After following the link and seeing it doesn't even launch for ~4 months I'll probably just buy the base game and maybe one of the expansions now. I wish I'd paid closer attention to all the SI expansion chat now! Branch and Claw is much cheaper, but I'll do some googling to see what the difference is first.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Branch and Claw is a smaller expansion than Jagged Earth (2 spirits in B&C, 10 in JE, 1 adversary vs 3, no aspect for the 4 "beginner" spirits ...)
Both expansions include event decks that add variance to the game and further increases its huge replay value. I'd say go for JE if money isn't an issue.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
To no one's surprise, Ark Nova is at #9 on the BGG rankings, and I'm fairly sure it'll go higher. Good theme, not too hard gameplay, it's gonna be popular for quite some time.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mayveena posted:

To no one's surprise, Ark Nova is at #9 on the BGG rankings, and I'm fairly sure it'll go higher. Good theme, not too hard gameplay, it's gonna be popular for quite some time.

You're right, I just looked at the top games on the BGG rankings and I too am unsurprised

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm surprised.... that it's so low!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm surprised.... that it's so low!

It’s not done. More climbing is ahead.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hype for the inevitable Aquarium expansion :hmmyes:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For whatever it's worth, Branch & Claw had content that was cut from the base game due to production/accessibility concerns - base + B&C is kind of like the 'core' experience as designed.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ran Oath for three for the first time. The game is a bear of a teach. It was my first time too and even though I watched lots of rules explanations etc I still found it intimidating and was faced with questions I couldn’t answer off the top of my head. I could see the steam coming out of the other players ears. Thankfully they’re both good sports and would like to try again but it really made me realize that people are not kidding when they say you need the right group and a lot of commitment to even attempt it. I would be in trouble if they weren’t willing to persevere and I had just forked out for an (admittedly lovely) box. It was definitely foolhardy investing in it but I’m really hoping it opens up and rewards the effort everyone has committed to it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Isaac Childress is moving on

https://www.polygon.com/23167962/gloomhaven-backerkit-crowdfunding-launch-blockchain

His projects will be on Backerkit from now on, as Backerkit has now become a full blown crowdfunding site.

What kills me is how much Kickstarter lies. Isaac's projects have been the biggest ever on KS but KS claims that 'they don't care about market share'. See that's the thing, they have no anything at all. Of course they care about market share, what a bunch of bullshit.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Good. gently caress em.

Hope they lose all the top creators. Hope Gamefound/Backerkit step in and fill the gap, which looks like is starting to happen quicker and quicker these days.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah there's been discussion of this in the Crowdfunding thread.

It's baffling that Kickstarter never put any money into improving their fulfillment functionality. They just let Backerkit develop a great reputation and a lot of experience. This was inevitable.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

dwarf74 posted:

It's baffling that Kickstarter never put any money into improving their fulfillment functionality. They just let Backerkit develop a great reputation and a lot of experience. This was inevitable.

they didn't want the liability of actual fulfillment, they just wanted to skim an organizing fee. early ebay philosophy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

It's pretty much just because kickstarter felt they had no incentive to try anything more than some bare minimum stuff since the only competitor they were facing was indiegogo. They spent so much time thinking "man it's great that we're the only true viable option" that they never thought about how to maintain being the main option. It's like the opposite of how Valve and Steam have become the main platform for running PC games and they still try to keep people engaged with Steam versus their competitors.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Apocron posted:

Ran Oath for three for the first time. The game is a bear of a teach. It was my first time too and even though I watched lots of rules explanations etc I still found it intimidating and was faced with questions I couldn’t answer off the top of my head. I could see the steam coming out of the other players ears. Thankfully they’re both good sports and would like to try again but it really made me realize that people are not kidding when they say you need the right group and a lot of commitment to even attempt it. I would be in trouble if they weren’t willing to persevere and I had just forked out for an (admittedly lovely) box. It was definitely foolhardy investing in it but I’m really hoping it opens up and rewards the effort everyone has committed to it.

Oath seems like the poster child for "if you can't get a couple friends to split the cost with you then they probably aren't invested enough to play it anyway".

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Apocron posted:

I don't think there's a single Werhle game that isn't a PITA to teach. Try explaining how Pax Pamir works to someone with even an above average experience in the hobby and get back to me. Oath is absurd. Root is multiplayer solitaire until you get a half dozen games under you belt and even then congrats, you've learned maybe how to play one faction properly.

Infinitum posted:

'Know your table' basically

Even if I personally would like to try an 18xx, for example, I don't think my players would want to get something like that to the table regularly

WRONG. I shove 18xx down everyone's throats hell or high water. I will make them see the way.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 16, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

'Know your table' basically

Even if I personally would like to try an 18xx, for example, I don't think my players would want to get something like that to the table regularly

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
:siren: SEPTIMA is up :siren: from best board game publisher mindclash (Anachrony, Trickerion, Perserverence)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindclash/septima

stir cauldrons and turn into a cat and sneak around the inquisition and other witchy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4FCfyHxEw

go go go goons

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I really disliked Trickerion, I've been meaning to try anachrony sometime but haven't gotten around to it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I did not like Anachrony, and it dissauded me from playing Trickerion.
18XXs aren't ludicrously heavy*. Many Euros are more complex. What they do tend to be is long and unforgiving.
*well, 1831 is. but that's an outlier.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Oath seems like the poster child for "if you can't get a couple friends to split the cost with you then they probably aren't invested enough to play it anyway".

I have absolutely no idea how, but Oath hit my table SUPER well. One of my “I prefer narrative to mechanics” friends loved it, and I fully expected him to bounce off.

Weirdly, I think I liked it the least.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

I did not like Anachrony, and it dissauded me from playing Trickerion.
18XXs aren't ludicrously heavy*. Many Euros are more complex. What they do tend to be is long and unforgiving.
*well, 1831 is. but that's an outlier.

It's what happens whenever I teach one to newbies. "Oh. It's actually pretty simple really."

It's when you've got poo poo like 61/67 or something nuts like USA that I would say, okay decently complicated but still less than most MWE I think.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Still waiting for an 18XX themed Transarctica/La Compagnie des glaces/Overman King Gainer game

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

I really disliked Trickerion, I've been meaning to try anachrony sometime but haven't gotten around to it.

Anachrony isn't bad, but it doesn't do enough differently. Time travel is just a loan with a thin veil of theme pasted onto it. My copy is for sale.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FirstAidKite posted:

Still waiting for an 18XX themed Transarctica/La Compagnie des glaces/Overman King Gainer game

I'd buy that, goddamn.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Good. gently caress em.

Hope they lose all the top creators. Hope Gamefound/Backerkit step in and fill the gap, which looks like is starting to happen quicker and quicker these days.

This. Even outside of their cryptofuckery, they acted like they were on top because God willed it, rather than a business that might have a competitor. Like, it's not even something like Amazon or Walmart or Verizon where you need a lot of property or money to compete. They are just software (or perhaps platform) as a service; anyone can theoretically compete.

silvergoose posted:

I tried Trickerion once. It's good, but I just cannot imagine playing it over the somewhat similar but waaaaay simpler Colosseum. There are just such a concatenation of subsystems that do not enhance things. What really got me was the annoying rear end 'putting chips with patterns onto your prepared tricks for form complete symbols' thing that got me. What a loving faff. A wildly unnecessary amount of rules overhead. I don't mind complicated rules, though my group skews light, so that is also a big consideration for what I can actually expect to get played.

I think years and years ago, Zee Garcia said, "Just because you came up with something doesn't mean it has to be in this game." Meaning that not every mechanism is right for every game and if it's not right, you should probably cut it. Whenever I think about Trickerion, I think about that. In contrast, when I played Yokohama recently, nothing in there felt to bolted-on. It all basically felt like one congruent experience, even with a lot going on. Same with something like Eclipse, or even Through the Ages. On the other hand, Trickerion feels like it was made by people who didn't know if they'd get to make another game, so they put in everything they could think of.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Magnetic North posted:

I think years and years ago, Zee Garcia said, "Just because you came up with something doesn't mean it has to be in this game."

I will put dungeon crawling into this deckbuilding worker placement bag builder hidden role town building miniatures war game and you will like it (minimum pledge: 300 dollars)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I will put dungeon crawling into this deckbuilding worker placement bag builder hidden role town building miniatures war game and you will like it (minimum pledge: 300 dollars)

And what popular IP will it be based on? Who cares, let me just pledge now and worry about it later.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FulsomFrank posted:

And what popular IP will it be based on? Who cares, let me just pledge now and worry about it later.

Penny arcade

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
"Simplify and magnify" is pretty good game design advice in general.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Trickerion feels like there is something good in there. I wish it had more development time or something.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

FulsomFrank posted:

Norse Mythology. There will be no women in the art.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Norse Mythology. There will be no women in the art.

Or POC. Because it's historically accurate you see of course

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Oath Chat:

I think the other thing that struck me that was just barely touched upon in the SUSD review of Oath is how it can definitely feel bad if your economy isn't up and running. The way the first turn walkthrough is organised the Yellow Player begins by attacking the chancellor and taking the Oath. So as Chancellor on the first turn back I immediately retaliated and wiped out most of Yellow's warbands. Considering their whole setup was to have a strong military that player limped through the rest of the game since we had no clear understanding of the economy or how to pivot. In hindsight I would have attacked some bandits to take the Oathkeeper title back indirectly but it would definitely help if some kind of general priorities were outlined in broad strokes.

Two that I think I've settled on for the next game are:

1: Advisors are not just about powers but also largely about suit so you want three different suits as soon as possible to enable your trade action.
2: You want to trade for secrets since they return to your board and you can begin cycling them for favor.

Part of the importance of these two principles could be that we really didn't seem to draw any economy denizens (the red player did but after the tutorial we scrapped them since there was only 3 of us) and 3 visions came out really quick so apart from the darkest secret looking through the world deck to try and find denizens we needed was very supply intensive (we played with open hands since it was the first game and all the denizens in the discard piles were largely useless for the yellow player to recover).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

And what popular IP will it be based on?

Why only the most appropriate IP possible for a dungeon crawling deckbuilding worker placement bag builder hidden role town building miniatures war game.

Breaking Bad

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Why only the most appropriate IP possible for a dungeon crawling deckbuilding worker placement bag builder hidden role town building miniatures war game.

Breaking Bad

And then the dicebuilder followup, Rolling Bad

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Played Wonderland's War for the first time last night and absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the designer's previous game, March of the Ants but it didn't give me nearly the sense of excitement and fun that I got out of this one (at least in part due to the exploration mechanic which I've hated in nearly every game that had it including Archipelago and Eclipse. It's not as bad in Ants but it still bugged me). For those that don't know, it's an area majority game comprised of two phases - one in which you pick cards to augment your armies (often in the form of bag-building chips with various strengths and special powers) and one in which you draw these chips out of your bag one at a time, gaining strength and special abilities in the region where there's a battle occurring and occasionally drawing a 'madness' chip that kills your own units. If you run out of units in an area (which typically only happens by drawing these 'bad' chips), you're out of the fight and lose any special effects you'd generated during it. There's a wonderful push-your-luck element to this. You can almost never get knocked out of the fight except through your own greed and hubris and it adds a really fun element of chaos and uncertainty in how the fights play out.

I'm normally not a fan of competitive games of this length that have this much randomness, but for some reason it absolutely works for me here. I think it's the fact that the randomness does even out to a significant extent over time since you only refresh your bag of chips once you've drawn most of the bad ones out, so you'll see a significant number of them each time. The second reason I think it works is that while you don't control what you draw, you can control when you stop drawing and often there are solid reasons for stopping early: you get half points for second-place and often that's good enough, there are 'quest' cards that sometimes require you to stop early on a certain value or after having drawn a certain chip, and there are stages where stopping gives you the ability to buy extra upgrades which sometimes might be more valuable than fighting to win a region. It also means that you often have a chance to win any fight, even one where you might be outnumbered if you have better chips in your bag and/or your opponent has more negative chips which made me feel more invested in contesting multiple regions than in other area control games where you have to commit to some regions and ignore others. There's still a bit of that, but because of all the bonuses you get even if you don't win a region there's a lot more incentive to fight everywhere, which creates a really fun sense of chaos and fluidity to the game.

On top of this, there seems to be a huge amount of variety of different cards and abilities (not dissimilar from Blood Rage, but with a more enjoyable system of choosing cards) and some variability between factions which looks like it should create a fair amount of replayability.

It was only one play, but I haven't enjoyed a first play of a new game as much as this one since something like Barrage or Cthulhu Wars.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Just posting to say how much Flesh and Blood sucks out loud and how much I wish there was a CCG I could occasionally pop some boosters for that wasn’t Magic or licensed anime stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Get into baseball cards