Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think they just wanted reprints of good cards period tbh

But I guess wotc wouldn't want to lose too much "reprint equity." I think that's the fig leaf they were using for secondary market value lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Invictus posted:

also, thanks to everything crashing and burning economically, stuff like crimson vow, midnight hunt, and possibly some other sets aren't getting subsequent reprints and are also rock loving bottom prices right now. like I don't think even theros beyond death ever hit the lows crimson vow and midnight hunt collector boxes are getting to, I believe Pepper Crab is offering collector boxes of those two in the 135-140 range atm. might be worth picking up some to hold on to until later(specifically midnight hunt, since it is actually a good set with lots of great cards and also a good set for drafting), though crimson vow does have that alucard SOTN-styled Sorin that will probably be worth quite a bit down the road.

Amazon just fire sold AFR, MDH and VOW Collector Boxes for $120 and even then the general consensus was 'you'll lose money'.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

i don't pay attention to mtgfinances but am i following right that the thing people wanted from the commander legends 2 set was just reprints of modern staples and people are calling it a failure because it didn't do that?

Modern in the sense of new (not the format), ya kind of.

CL1 had tons of cool powerful cards that appealed to every kind of player AND a bunch of kick rear end reprints. CLB, with a few exceptions, has very little of either.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the biggest problem (re: poularity) is probably the missing cross-marketing with BG3, WotC anticipated a monster hit and Larian just said lol see you next year

Larian can develop to the new timeline, WotC can't, so we get a set not for the old fans, but for the yet not new fans

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the biggest problem (re: poularity) is probably the missing cross-marketing with BG3, WotC anticipated a monster hit and Larian just said lol see you next year

Larian can develop to the new timeline, WotC can't, so we get a set not for the old fans, but for the yet not new fans

I’m not so sure about this. I think as long as the cards are good most people don’t care about the lore.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so is there going to be a summer standard set or is this replacing the summer set?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Commander Legends Poo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Technically yes, Dominaria hits this September before astrological summer is over.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

I’m not so sure about this. I think as long as the cards are good most people don’t care about the lore.

and the people that do care about the lore are mad because it's not racist enough

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dear Mr. Wizards,

If I only had one wish, it would be for a set of cards only playable in high-power eternal formats, marketed specifically to players of one high-power eternal format, based on vague rememberances of a video game from the 90s, and featuring only cards that have a power level below the average standard set. And if you would be so kind, please make some precons with a bunch of bad cards and no reprint equity.

Yours Truly,
loving Nobody, Ever

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Toshimo posted:

Dear Mr. Wizards,

If I only had one wish, it would be for a set of cards only playable in high-power eternal formats, marketed specifically to players of one high-power eternal format, based on vague rememberances of a video game from the 90s, and featuring only cards that have a power level below the average standard set. And if you would be so kind, please make some precons with a bunch of bad cards and no reprint equity.

Yours Truly,
loving Nobody, Ever

supplementary sets being extremely low power level to avoid obliterating the meta all the time would be pretty welcome at this point tbh

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ilmucche posted:

supplementary sets being extremely low power level to avoid obliterating the meta all the time would be pretty welcome at this point tbh

Phew, finally a set that no one will buy. Thanks WOTC for not shaking up the meta

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

At least 2XM spoilers start today

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I think Commander's a bit different. You have to try really hard to substantially make the meta hosed up because of how resilient it is. A majority of people who play the format active avoid making their decks as good as they possibly can!

CL1 had some insanely powerful cards and the return of Partner, and everyone seemed to like it.

Devor posted:

Phew, finally a set that no one will buy. Thanks WOTC for not shaking up the meta

I'm okay with them having to ban a card like Hullbreacher every so often if it means sets are otherwise filled with good cards lol

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 16, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
CMR had 2 really problematic cards, 1 of which got banned, but otherwise had a very good smattering of new staples and big $$$ reprints, which is entirely unlike this new set.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
The UB precon is surprisingly good for whatever that’s worth

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
on the other hand, if they're gonna completely gently caress up a set, i'd rather it be a weird supplementary one like this that i can continue to not give one single poo poo about

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

A big flaming stink posted:

on the other hand, if they're gonna completely gently caress up a set, i'd rather it be a weird supplementary one like this that i can continue to not give one single poo poo about

Given that Commander is the most popular format, it's moreso that the other sets are the weird supplementary ones. Imagine if all the commander players had come in to say how glad they were that Oko/Winota/Lurrus/Epiphany were printed into Standard so that WotC wasn't loving up the cool kids sets with bad balance and design.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I will livepost the double masters streaem for y'all. Please forgive the spelling my mac keyboard is doing that thing where it sucks.

First off, talking about the vegas 30th anniversary event.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Introducing the latter lead designer. Early lead was Gavin.

All reprint set, with one exception:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Meant to be able to draft all ten colour triples. 3 colour focussed. Let's you play 3 colours without evry deck being a 4+ colour soup. Draft like any other card. Prioritize fixing without having to commit to a colour pair.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

THIS SUCKS SO MUCH lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Choose your own dual land for commander but you can only have one is a weird design, four of these in normal decks but you have to choose which colour pair is also kinda funky.

This thing is the weirdest idea for a land I have ever seen and I don’t get why this is the only non-reprint. They’d have been better having zero new cards possibly.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Archetypes:

esper - flicker value, mulldrifter, aethersnipe, momentary blink, etc
borderless mulldrifter. Looks nice.

grixis - graveyard midrange, seeker's squire, unearth, skaabs, big score variant, deranged assistant

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's literally for drafting so they don't have to print 10 new guildgates.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Cllassic" Jund - dreg mangler, lava coil, eyeblight's ending
"Aggressive and resilient"

commons and uncommons redundant and replaceable, rares have the splashy unique effects, new contexts.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Naya - Heroic aggro, wingsteed rider, gods willing, hero of the games, thrive

Bant - big ramp, rampant growth, aethersnipe, annoyed altisaur

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Toshimo posted:

It's literally for drafting so they don't have to print 10 new guildgates.

yeah, it's ugly but it makes sense

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No wonder they kept it out of commander set lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mythic lol, but thank you anyway WotC

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Why is the other art for the dockside reprint clearly a Monkey Pirate?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
mardu - aristocrats/sacrifice - Cartel aristocrat, doomed traveler, fireblade artist

temur - midrange ramp - storm fleet pyromance, all the bant ramp cards,

abzan - +1+1 counters - Chronicler of heros, ainok bondkin, Experiment One

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

th3t00t posted:

Why is the other art for the dockside reprint clearly a Monkey Pirate?

Goblins are monkeys on Ixalan.

Experiment One downshifting to common so it's pauper legal now.

Okay that Thought Scour alt art is great.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Jeskai prowess - seeker of the way, rift bolt, thoughtscour, bloodwater entity

I like this art

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Choose your own dual land for commander but you can only have one is a weird design, four of these in normal decks but you have to choose which colour pair is also kinda funky.

This thing is the weirdest idea for a land I have ever seen and I don’t get why this is the only non-reprint. They’d have been better having zero new cards possibly.

Nobody will use this land except in Limited. ETB tapped and get one of two colours is pretty marginal (at common you'd expect an extra perk like scry or a sac ability or something, and at rare you'd expect a conditional way for it not to ETB tapped), and there are multiple better cycles in Standard right now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Jeskai prowess - seeker of the way, rift bolt, thoughtscour, bloodwater entity

I like this art

This owns.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sultai - GY "growth" - Balustrade Spy, deep anal, webweaver changeling

Some rares:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/glenn_jones_/status/1537424035407007746?s=21&t=WEnhbxb8fILfonm7oIemAQ

In case you had any doubts about wotc and their feelings on data. It’s mind blowing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They are really only going to spoil like 4 rares in this hour show? All of them being commander garbage? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

And the money shot