Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

SpartanIvy posted:

And so money was then raised to fix, update, and maintain infrastructure that they rely on for clean drinking water?

Live Free or and, Die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

carticket posted:

NH party in here. Moved from Saint Gobain town over one and we've got firefighting foam contamination showing up in wells now. I'm in the queue for state testing.

the New Hampshire Advantage (TM)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I have been wildly unimpressed with east coast infrastructure since I got here

Yeah but free salt they just put that stuff on roads for anyone to have!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd rather die than live somewhere that feels it necessary to salt their roads

So far I haven't driven further north than DC

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe I’ll advise my family to bring bottled water during our Hampton Beach vacation.

there's like a zero percent chance that whatever tiny rear end amount of PFAS you could be exposed to through drinking water in Hampton Beach is going to have an impact on your health

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe I’ll advise my family to bring bottled water during our Hampton Beach vacation.

Do you live in the area already? I didn't think anyone outside of MA, NH, or ME would ever go to Hampton Beach.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I am not saying Hampton Beach is a tourist trap but I don’t know how to finish that sentence.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I'd rather die than live somewhere that feels it necessary to salt their roads

So far I haven't driven further north than DC

Chances of dying go up considerably when places that don’t know how to salt roads have, say, a state wide deep freeze that takes out their power grid.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Or when a state that does salt the roads runs out because they thought last winter when they ran out was just a fluke and not you know the climate changing?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Do you live in the area already? I didn't think anyone outside of MA, NH, or ME would ever go to Hampton Beach.

3/5 of the family is in MA, yeah.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Chances of dying go up considerably when places that don’t know how to salt roads have, say, a state wide deep freeze that takes out their power grid.

You do realize that most states get, at most 1-2 days a year where there's any snow at all on the ground, right

I'll never understand this Stockholm syndrome addiction to living in a frozen hellscape for half the year

In Dallas about once every three years we get our fabled "ice storm" shuts down the city for 1-2 days as all the plants and roads are covered in half an inch of ice, but then it's right back to being 40F and it all melts off by noon. People just stay home those days, and the storm is forecast 7-10 days in advance so it's not really a surprise to anyone

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

You do realize that most states get, at most 1-2 days a year where there's any snow at all on the ground, right

I'll never understand this Stockholm syndrome addiction to living in a frozen hellscape for half the year

In Dallas about once every three years we get our fabled "ice storm" shuts down the city for 1-2 days as all the plants and roads are covered in half an inch of ice, but then it's right back to being 40F and it all melts off by noon. People just stay home those days, and the storm is forecast 7-10 days in advance so it's not really a surprise to anyone

Without thinking too hard about it and/or looking at a map, our population is not distributed evenly across states right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

I mean the part where you don’t have to live in the south is pretty nice. Pick a reason really: politics, humidity, whatever.

Done it don’t care to repeat.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Having grown up there, I’m well aware of Dallas’ winter patterns. Doesn’t change how stressed I was when the ice stuck around for a week and dunked on the entire state while we got to navigate power/water issues with a newborn in the house.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
gently caress snow, gently caress the cold, and gently caress 2 hour commutes because 8" of snow isn't enough to cancel poo poo but it's way too much for things to be normal.

but also gently caress 90+ and humid for 3 months solid.

I grew up in the midwest, went to college in an even midwestier area (more rural, more snow), and now live in the SE. If I were forced to choose, I'd stick around here... I mean, as long as you stay near a major city... venture too far out in to the boonies and the midwest "rednecks" I grew up with start looking like bernie sanders.

Summer in the midwest is way better, but on balance, I feel like there's more nice days around here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

gently caress snow, gently caress the cold, and gently caress 2 hour commutes because 8" of snow isn't enough to cancel poo poo but it's way too much for things to be normal.

but also gently caress 90+ and humid for 3 months solid.

I grew up in the midwest, went to college in an even midwestier area (more rural, more snow), and now live in the SE. If I were forced to choose, I'd stick around here... I mean, as long as you stay near a major city... venture too far out in to the boonies and the midwest "rednecks" I grew up with start looking like bernie sanders.

Summer in the midwest is way better, but on balance, I feel like there's more nice days around here.

If you ever want to live in hell, move to the DC metro area.

Winters like Boston, summers like Atlanta.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Loving that I close in 6 days and the stock market is in free fall. I don't know if I should care or not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

cr0y posted:

Loving that I close in 6 days and the stock market is in free fall. I don't know if I should care or not.

Are you dependent on selling stocks to make your down payment?

If not, gently caress it. If you are but you did the smart thing and sold them a couple months before closing to avoid any fuckery, celebrate.

Also every time you see a rate hike you can give yourself a little fist bump, and having a large outstanding loan is a great hedge against inflation.

In a lot of ways from a purely monetary standpoint (ignoring the housing market issues) now is a pretty good time to be getting a mortgage. A year ago would be better, but that's hindsight.

There are some people who got significant loans when rates bottomed out who are going to make out like loving bandits in a high interest / high inflation world.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you dependent on selling stocks to make your down payment?

If not, gently caress it. If you are but you did the smart thing and sold them a couple months before closing to avoid any fuckery, celebrate.

Also every time you see a rate hike you can give yourself a little fist bump, and having a large outstanding loan is a great hedge against inflation.

In a lot of ways from a purely monetary standpoint (ignoring the housing market issues) now is a pretty good time to be getting a mortgage. A year ago would be better, but that's hindsight.

There are some people who got significant loans when rates bottomed out who are going to make out like loving bandits in a high interest / high inflation world.

I pulled all my money months ago and it's been sitting in cash for my down payment. I don't rely on the market for anything other than my 401k but I just don't like how shaky the whole planet is right now ☹️

I excited and glad to have a place to call my own, even if it does have to be converted into a doomsday bunker.

Just looked, lol, rates moved a half a percent up since I locked mine in 3 weeks ago.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 16, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

I pulled all my money months ago and it's been sitting in cash for my down payment. I don't rely on the market for anything other than my 401k but I just don't like how shaky the whole planet is right now ☹️

I excited and glad to have a place to call my own, even if it does have to be converted into a doomsday bunker.

You did everything right and you're likely to be in a fantastic position for the foreseeable future in regards to the mortgage part of this at least.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean the part where you don’t have to live in the south is pretty nice. Pick a reason really: politics, humidity, whatever.

Done it don’t care to repeat.

This is what I live about Oregon. No salt on the roads and it’s not the south either. Now, I’d probably rather live in NorCal but since I started here innOR it would be too expensive to leave.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

therobit posted:

This is what I live about Oregon. No salt on the roads and it’s not the south either. Now, I’d probably rather live in NorCal but since I started here innOR it would be too expensive to leave.

Yeah, I was raised in the PacNW and it's way, WAY up my list of places I want to finally end up in.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you ever want to live in hell, move to the DC metro area.

Winters like Boston, summers like Atlanta.

It’s really incredible how much dc metro is the nexus of the worst parts of so many disparate regions in the us; low density, high traffic, high property values, bad drivers, bad regional transit, billions of tourists, etc.

I’m shocked they don’t have a five hundred foot tall golden statue of robert lee that rotates to follow the sun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

in a well actually posted:

It’s really incredible how much dc metro is the nexus of the worst parts of so many disparate regions in the us; low density, high traffic, high property values, bad drivers, bad regional transit, billions of tourists, etc.

I’m shocked they don’t have a five hundred foot tall golden statue of robert lee that rotates to follow the sun.

Last time I was in the area I remember a fuckoff huge confederate flag right off the interstate in Virginia, does that count?

Edit: Oh, and don't forget TERRIBLE road layouts. All the major roads in the area except I40 funnel through DC, and there are only three bridges across the Potomac in the whole loving region, and only one on the NoVa/MD border. Which means that if you don't want to go to DC but instead want to go from Virginia to Maryland there's just this awful choke point that fills with hell commuters any work day.

Jesus they need to build like . . . five more bridges. Just go full sim city and stamp them everywhere.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 16, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

All the stuff being thrown about in regard to “recession proofing your investments” is dumb since if you were investing sensibly then you would be hedged anyway and the market having a down year shouldn’t be an issue in the long run but hey people need to crank up the fear some how.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

All the stuff being thrown about in regard to “recession proofing your investments” is dumb since if you were investing sensibly then you would be hedged anyway and the market having a down year shouldn’t be an issue in the long run but hey people need to crank up the fear some how.

Depends on your investment timeline. If you're 35 and don't need to touch your 401k for another 30 years it's no big deal*. If you're 65 and need to start drawing it down today it sucks rear end.**

*assuming you've got a sane investment strategy that spreads out risks etc and didn't just YOLO it all into some Web 3.0 startup or something that might pull an Enron.

** even then that's assuming you've still got a portfolio that has a lot of stock market stuff in it. By the time you're that close to retirement you should be shifting to way lower risk stuff that won't move around as much but also won't appreciate as much either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Regardless of that, BigPaddy is still correct about this all being dumb because it's way too late to take brilliant "advice" from CNN and the like when they're telling you "Uber lost 50% of it's value this year, but utility and booze stocks usually do pretty well during recessions!"

What exactly do you do with that information? If you act on it now you're just locking in losses. You would have had to have had a properly weighted portfolio long before this to weather this one well. Otherwise you're some version of screwed for the short to mid term if not worse depending on just how YOLO you went.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 16, 2022

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

DC Metro region does suck for the traffic and cost of real estate, but the weather isn’t that bad. Does not get that cold in the winter or much snow (nothing like Boston), and while the summers are hot and humid the spring and fall is lovely. Public transit is really good compared to almost any other US city except for New York. DC gets a bad rap from people who live in the exurbs and complain about all the traffic on their hour and a half commute.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

People put different weight into the various pros and cons of places and tend to just get use to whatever issues a place may have. Cold? Wear a jacket. Wildfires? Get an air filter. Snow on the roads? Snow tires/all wheel drive. Drought? Dig a deeper well! Conservatives and their awful laws? Go "it's not that bad". High taxes? Complain about them.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jesus that av

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Lost another try at a house to an all cash offer, third in a row. That's how things roll, but so be it. We offered our best and it was still $15k less than the offer that was taken. The market for our pricepoint (max of 225) is super hot and not cooling down anytime soon in our area. Going to see another one today, back to the grind.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Abyss posted:

Lost another try at a house to an all cash offer, third in a row. That's how things roll, but so be it. We offered our best and it was still $15k less than the offer that was taken. The market for our pricepoint (max of 225) is super hot and not cooling down anytime soon in our area. Going to see another one today, back to the grind.

When you find one you like put in a strong offer and put the seller on a very short clock to box out other offers, works well if you are the first showing or it's near the end of the day and don't want to gamble with more showings the next day. I was 0 for 5 being a reasonable buyer and 1 for 1 when I started being a dick head and playing hardball.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Yea, we put in our strongest offer but they were out of town and didn't accept early offers. They were presented 13 offers this morning. I haven't run across a "first come, first serve" type of offer style, as the ones we've put offers on tend to collect them all and then present on one day. But maybe it'll happen soon, I'm staying positive.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Abyss posted:

Yea, we put in our strongest offer but they were out of town and didn't accept early offers. They were presented 13 offers this morning. I haven't run across a "first come, first serve" type of offer style, as the ones we've put offers on tend to collect them all and then present on one day. But maybe it'll happen soon, I'm staying positive.

The selling agent has to present an offer if the stipulation is that it's only good for 12 hours or whatever. If they just drag it out then the offer is void and you can move on, as rates go up I think it's hard to ignore money on the table hoping that tomorrow brings brighter skies.

Just my opinion but if you aren't coming in all cash and over asking you need *something* to separate you from the hoard of other buyers.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It feels like the pace of houses going on market has markedly increased here in Denver, especially on the upper end. Seeing a lot of price drops as well. Seems like people are trying to get their flips/remodels up on the market ASAP ahead of rising interest rates.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My in laws just did the short timer to great success. The open house started at 3pm or something, their deadline was noon to force them to make a decision before the open house even started. Sellers signed.

And then between signing and the open house they got three cash offers. :haw:

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

cr0y posted:

The selling agent has to present an offer if the stipulation is that it's only good for 12 hours or whatever. If they just drag it out then the offer is void and you can move on, as rates go up I think it's hard to ignore money on the table hoping that tomorrow brings brighter skies.

Just my opinion but if you aren't coming in all cash and over asking you need *something* to separate you from the hoard of other buyers.

Good point, I'll bring that up with my agent to see if that's a tactic we can use.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

It feels like the pace of houses going on market has markedly increased here in Denver, especially on the upper end. Seeing a lot of price drops as well. Seems like people are trying to get their flips/remodels up on the market ASAP ahead of rising interest rates.

I came here to post this. I'm in Fort Worth and I've gotten 5 or so notifications today from Zillow of houses going up in my neighborhood.

I think people were holding off on selling until the market peaked and they believe it has now. A lot of these don't appear to be straight flips.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's also summer and schools are out, so Supply should be shooting way up

Let's see what Demand has to say about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think demand is going to drop as interest rates rise and people figure that purchasing at current prices isn’t feasible or worth it. Then a whole bunch of sellers are going to get deeply hosed over.