Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
ground turkey seems like the way to go from that chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

on the food animal / politics front, I'd like to see more municipalities allow backyard hens. I think there's real potential there for supplementing food security, and a niche to be filled in the garden / compost system of a more sustainable household.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It was at least briefly allowed in my neighbourhood as part of a pilot program. I considered it but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the expense and effort to build a lunchbox for the raccoons

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

run on sentience posted:

I can't see anything actually changing wrt meat consumption or farming practices either until meat is waaaay too expensive to both buy and raise. It's already expensive but I doubt most people who aren't in poverty have cut back on meat any more than they've cut back on driving.

It's going to be lab grown meat that will overtake regular suffer-burgers. Forcibly breeding and killing animals will no longer economically viable. A generation later the majority of people will be disturbed and disgusted by the idea of raising a sentient being just to kill them for a sandwich. It's a real shame that most people will demand you reshape society and food production rather than just buying something else at the grocery store.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
They were about to allow chickens in Winnipeg but that was right around the time the avian flu started spreading rapidly so they decided against it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DrBox posted:

It's going to be lab grown meat that will overtake regular suffer-burgers. Forcibly breeding and killing animals will no longer economically viable. A generation later the majority of people will be disturbed and disgusted by the idea of raising a sentient being just to kill them for a sandwich. It's a real shame that most people will demand you reshape society and food production rather than just buying something else at the grocery store.

"It just isn't the same without the hint of suffering flavoring every bite" would probably be the response to that. I'm all for switching to non-meat as long as it's got a similar taste and texture. I'll definitely be looking into seitan as a chicken substitute, and if it wasn't for the cost, I would have switched to impossible burgers long ago (it is noticeably different in texture from a good regular burger, but I've had worse burgers than the impossible burger so I'll take it)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We should just be allowed to use net guns in the city and eat all the geese ruining our parks. They're as delicious as they are annoying.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Slotducks posted:

imagine eating meat in this economy

Imagine eating in this economy.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

EvilJoven posted:

We should just be allowed to use net guns in the city and eat all the geese ruining our parks. They're as delicious as they are annoying.

I've always wondered what Canada goose would taste like.

Some lady by the river at the Legislature was dancing around with a flock of them while feeding them and I think that should be considered an act of terrorism, possibly treason.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
They're tough if you don't prepare em right but goose legs in a crock pot with my wife's sauce is basically the best thing ever.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

don't give ground meat an exemption, get rid of the exemptions altogether, account for cooking modifications if you have to, and gently caress beef anyway it's awful for the environment and should be taxed to oblivion

Ground beef is a large part of the diet for the poor and people on government assistance. Mostly because its cheap, quick/easy to cook, and easy to access. Making that cost more without reducing cost on healthier alternatives is just going to gently caress over the worst off people.

Im not singling you out or anything, but there is a real lack of knowledge and exposure to how bad poor Canadians fare these days by a lot of people that post here. The longer I work at the addictions clinic and actually talk to these people the more I realize just how awful being stuck on something like ODSP really is. Their lives are just a constant battle to stay afloat already, and thats before our provincial government starts to claw back even more benefits and cut away more of the social safety net.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

EvilJoven posted:

I should kill and eat any animal that poses a mild inconvenience. My neighbors dog barks a lot and there is this cat that keeps making GBS threads in my flowerbeds so I'm firing up the grill and taking care of business.

Next up, those cyclists getting in my way when I'm trying to enjoy a walk on the city trails.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Ground beef is a large part of the diet for the poor and people on government assistance. Mostly because its cheap, quick/easy to cook, and easy to access. Making that cost more without reducing cost on healthier alternatives is just going to gently caress over the worst off people.

Im not singling you out or anything, but there is a real lack of knowledge and exposure to how bad poor Canadians fare these days by a lot of people that post here. The longer I work at the addictions clinic and actually talk to these people the more I realize just how awful being stuck on something like ODSP really is. Their lives are just a constant battle to stay afloat already, and thats before our provincial government starts to claw back even more benefits and cut away more of the social safety net.

Labelling it as unhealthy would lead to a lower price because people who can afford other options will buy less of it, so I think you two kind of agree. That’s exactly why the lobby group is fighting the label.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

:hellyeah: vegetarian since right before the pandemic

Noice! :)

Going on like 30 years now for me lol.

infernal machines posted:

It was at least briefly allowed in my neighbourhood as part of a pilot program. I considered it but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the expense and effort to build a lunchbox for the raccoons

Had a neighbour with chickens when I lived in North York. When we planted a whole bunch of tress around our property (70+ emerald cedars) he complained about the shade affecting his tomatoes. I told him to stfu or the city would find out about his chickens. We became good friends after that lol.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How big was your property/how small are emerald cedars?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

DrBox posted:

I should kill and eat any animal that poses a mild inconvenience. My neighbors dog barks a lot and there is this cat that keeps making GBS threads in my flowerbeds so I'm firing up the grill and taking care of business.

Next up, those cyclists getting in my way when I'm trying to enjoy a walk on the city trails.

Won't somebody think of the poor nuisance animals! :qq:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Won't somebody think of the poor nuisance animals! :qq:

Well when you put it that way yes, slaughtering birds for the crime of being noisy near you is entirely justified

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
They're literally nuisance animals, declared over abundant, and there are several programs currently in place to try to reduce their numbers.

And yes they're also annoying and tasty af and I'm going to kill and eat as many as I can.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

They're literally nuisance animals, declared over abundant, and there are several programs currently in place to try to reduce their numbers.

And yes they're also annoying and tasty af and I'm going to kill and eat as many as I can.

Oh I was unaware that they were actually overpopulated, that's different then gently caress 'em.

"Nuisance animal" alone doesn't really tell me much, and just being a nuisance animal isn't grounds for extermination. Reading up on how destructive their overpopulation has been makes a much more convincing case.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yinlock posted:

Oh I was unaware that they were actually overpopulated, that's different then gently caress 'em.

"Nuisance animal" alone doesn't really tell me much, and just being a nuisance animal isn't grounds for extermination. Reading up on how destructive their overpopulation has been makes a much more convincing case.

Geese and deer can seriously gently caress up an ecosystem if their populations see a quick spike. We see both as issues every now and then all across Canada. Its weird since we think of both as being so harmless.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

They also tried to do a 9/11. Never forget.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya there's a spring hunt that usually bears little to no game because they're trying to just target greater Canada's local to the area. On top of that there's dogs hired to drive em off and sometimes nest fouling operations but those generally get cancelled when people find out because they think baby geese are cute.

So far it hasn't put a dent in the population.

Down south they've done controlled hunts on golf courses and the like and there's videos of local karens losing their poo poo about it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Didn't realize Geese were a problem, I thought an American friend was saying they have protected status where they live.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They are a problem if you've built in their nesting grounds or own a golf course

You also need a permit to kill them.

You are a psychopath if you get so angry at them you want to kill them

I get chased by them if they have babies and I run too close to them. Gives me a bit of an adrenaline spike to increase my pace.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
They're nesting in the medians of arterial roads and getting run the gently caress over and stuff.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Madkal posted:

Why would you say telling people not to eat meat and not to drink is the same as Catholic guilt? Right now I just feel like I am reading the postings of Morrissey (the anti-immigration posts by Morissey to be exact).

run on sentience posted:

It would absolutely deter me from eating meat. I already loathe myself for it and the only way I can do it is to not think about the animal suffering. I would welcome those labels.

"The government should put warning labels on everything I'm too weak-willed to simply avoid eating, and should send someone to my house to spank me if I think about having a burger!" :qq:

Make your own choices, of course, I really don't give a poo poo what people do or do not choose to eat, but stop acting like it's the responsibility of the rest of society to validate your strange neuroses.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I took it for granted that they were such a huge problem everywhere. I think they are a beautiful bird and I wish them no suffering but they are a menace here and not just to humans.

I don't know much about hunting them but I say if it can cull them and feed people then great. One thing they do here is abort the eggs, basically. They poke them with a needle and destroy the embryo but the egg is intact so they keep sitting on it instead of laying more. It's unfortunate, but they can't just be left unchecked.

I read an article recently about how they purposely brought them to I think Newfoundland maybe? and they are now realizing that was not a great idea.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

PT6A posted:

"The government should put warning labels on everything I'm too weak-willed to simply avoid eating, and should send someone to my house to spank me if I think about having a burger!" :qq:

Make your own choices, of course, I really don't give a poo poo what people do or do not choose to eat, but stop acting like it's the responsibility of the rest of society to validate your strange neuroses.

"I don't want to see warning labels because I already know my lifestyle is unhealthy and don't want to be reminded!" :qq:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

run on sentience posted:

I don't know much about hunting them but I say if it can cull them and feed people then great. One thing they do here is abort the eggs, basically. They poke them with a needle and destroy the embryo but the egg is intact so they keep sitting on it instead of laying more. It's unfortunate, but they can't just be left unchecked.

How is it unfortunate? The geese population doesn't become a problem, the current geese don't get distressed, and no living creatures have to die. If anything, it's actual ideal.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

PT6A posted:

I'm sorry you feel the need to act out about your internalized shame instead of speaking honestly about it. The only person I shame for eating meat is myself. Why does that upset you?

What does it matter whether I stop eating meat on my own or because I was influenced by the government if the net result is good for myself and the planet?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

PT6A posted:

How is it unfortunate? The geese population doesn't become a problem, the current geese don't get distressed, and no living creatures have to die. If anything, it's actual ideal.

It's substantially more humane but it can actually cause them distress when the eggs start to rot. I'm not losing sleep over it but I wish it didn't have to happen.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The tl;dr is that Canada geese were nearly driven to extinction last century, became protected, and had breeding pairs introduced in various places, which seemingly developed into resident (non-migratory) colonies. The resident variety don't/can't migrate, don't tend to intermingle with their migratory cousins, might be bigger jerks, or perhaps are just growing in population less sustainably than the migratory honkers because they can eat grass and suburbia is full of the stuff.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

run on sentience posted:

I'm sorry you feel the need to act out about your internalized shame instead of speaking honestly about it. The only person I shame for eating meat is myself. Why does that upset you?

What does it matter whether I stop eating meat on my own or because I was influenced by the government if the net result is good for myself and the planet?

I'm not saying you can't do whatever you like, I'm saying this weird sense of shame would make the Pope himself say "that's really a bit much".

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

PT6A posted:

I'm not saying you can't do whatever you like, I'm saying this weird sense of shame would make the Pope himself say "that's really a bit much".

Is all shame bad? In 2022 we have the ability to feed ourselves in a better way that minimizes the impact on our health, the environment, and the animals. Instead we're loving up all three because people are entitled and selfish and are ok with exploitation, suffering and oppression as long as it tastes good. gently caress animals is something tankies and chuds can get behind. It's like everyone turns into a cartoon villain as soon as food is involved.

Even rural rancher loving types are pushing back against the worst of it. It's pretty fun to watch them fight through the cognitive dissonance. Alberta beef! Meat and potatoes! Ranchers are heroes! Oh wait, not like that!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/edmonton/2022/4/27/1_5879360.amp.html

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
You wouldn't need a batman style net gun to get geese. Don't need to shoot them at all.

If the collapse happens and poo poo gets really dire you could just walk up to them and wang them in the neck with a 2x4. Quick and painless enough ethical kill.

Please don't do that unless the grocery stores are all looted and or burned to the ground and we are getting mad max style.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
An excellent username/post combo

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

DrBox posted:

Is all shame bad? In 2022 we have the ability to feed ourselves in a better way that minimizes the impact on our health, the environment, and the animals. Instead we're loving up all three because people are entitled and selfish and are ok with exploitation, suffering and oppression as long as it tastes good. gently caress animals is something tankies and chuds can get behind. It's like everyone turns into a cartoon villain as soon as food is involved.

Even rural rancher loving types are pushing back against the worst of it. It's pretty fun to watch them fight through the cognitive dissonance. Alberta beef! Meat and potatoes! Ranchers are heroes! Oh wait, not like that!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/edmonton/2022/4/27/1_5879360.amp.html

Yes, let’s all become Jain monks and aspire to starve to death lest we cause death and suffering to someone or something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digambara_monk

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Kraftwerk posted:

Yes, let’s all become Jain monks and aspire to starve to death lest we cause death and suffering to someone or something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digambara_monk

Or just buy the oat milk instead of cow milk. You don't have to live like a monk, it's literally changing a few ingredients.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

DrBox posted:

Or just buy the oat milk instead of cow milk. You don't have to live like a monk, it's literally changing a few ingredients.

Dude have you seen bitcoin? I can’t afford bourgeoise oak milk. To much filthy fiat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Dude have you seen bitcoin? I can’t afford bourgeoise oak milk. To much filthy fiat

True! Luckily all the money saved swapping in lentils or Yves for ground beef will mean you come out ahead.