Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Going to start writing up my gotfhoty 2022 list this evening... sneak peek: my #1 will be what many have called "the dark souls of 2022"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Going to start writing up my gotfhoty 2022 list this evening... sneak peek: my #1 will be what many have called "the dark souls of 2022"

Kirby and the Forgotten Land :hmmyes:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

Congrats to ridge racer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elden Ring is my favorite game of the year so far.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gotfhoty is triangle strategy but kirby, blaster master zero 3, and blue reflection second light are strong runners up

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jay Rust posted:

Vampire Survivors?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I met this woman who was receiving unwated secret admirer gifts from a thief so I went to confront and things happened and he wound up dead and then it turned out that thief was her long lost brother whoops

Then I went to this little castle and got attacked by a giant rock monster and one of Thirteen from Kingdom Hearts but I killed it and Yda and Pompouslimo showed up and I started tripping balls and seeing into their past spooo~oooo~ooooky

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Meanwhile I filleted some fish in Project Gorgon

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rarity posted:

FF14:

I met this woman who was receiving unwated secret admirer gifts from a thief so I went to confront and things happened and he wound up dead and then it turned out that thief was her long lost brother whoops

Then I went to this little castle and got attacked by a giant rock monster and one of Thirteen from Kingdom Hearts but I killed it and Yda and Pompouslimo showed up and I started tripping balls and seeing into their past spooo~oooo~ooooky

you've unlocked your most powerful weapon: the ability to trip balls

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't worry, despite it being an MMO you still get to be the Chosen one

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Don't worry, despite it being an MMO you still get to be the Chosen one

Don't tell other players though it is a super secret.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo I did the double liver transplant plus Stigma mission my hands are killing me

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo I did the double liver transplant plus Stigma mission my hands are killing me

drat FF14 really goes places huh

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

What does Papalymo need all those livers for anyway?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wait so we have two of our mystery masked villains dead or in surgery and at no point do we take their find out their identities?! What the gently caress is this Trauma Center?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

this is Rarity and Video Games but each monitor is just one of the dozen games they place at once

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

stev posted:

What does Papalymo need all those livers for anyway?

Stigma nuts lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Elden Ring is my favorite game of the year so far.

now that the shine has worn off, the game has way too many things that make it frustrating unless you're already very good at their games, which is understandable and not a bad design choice, but it's unfortunate that such a beautiful world has such a high barrier of entry

they really should release a "discovery tour" mode like the AC games have so that you don't HAVE to put up with a bunch of instakill bullcrap and combat if you want to just explore the amazing world

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

verbal enema posted:

this is Rarity and Video Games but each monitor is just one of the dozen games they place at once

This is far more accurate than you know :negative:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rarity is the gametrix.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Wait so we have two of our mystery masked villains dead or in surgery and at no point do we take their find out their identities?! What the gently caress is this Trauma Center?

Where is my trauma center X scooby doo crossover

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

precision posted:

now that the shine has worn off, the game has way too many things that make it frustrating unless you're already very good at their games, which is understandable and not a bad design choice, but it's unfortunate that such a beautiful world has such a high barrier of entry

they really should release a "discovery tour" mode like the AC games have so that you don't HAVE to put up with a bunch of instakill bullcrap and combat if you want to just explore the amazing world

if you are on pc this already exists via mods/cheat engine iirc

if you're on console, perish

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Other than actual bosses and maybe the grave things I never touched I don't think there's really any insta-kill stuff is there? Maybe the little bastard gargoyles early on.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Should’ve been more instant death stuff imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rarity posted:

Dishonourable to unmask them while they're incapacitated.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Elden Ring lets you explore plenty without making any progress on the critical path at all. If there's any issue there it's how often what you'll find is a boss pasted from elsewhere in the game into a tiny uniform arena.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

precision posted:

the big thing for me is the fact that builds are by-and-large relatively homogenous (40-60 VIT if you're not doing a challenge run and then some combination of a single strong weapon and magic), which is then combined with so much of the actual runtime of the game being riding a horse between bland open world puff pieces that're enjoyable to discover the first time and tedious to complete every subsequent time after

i had a pretty good time the first 2/3rds of the way through but it's a game i will probably never reinstall again unless they put out significant changes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

Elden Ring (and Fromsoft games in general) work best if you go into them as a willing participant in a dark comedy IMO

If you're laid-back enough about it, Elden Ring is pretty drat funny. I was talking with a friend about this last weekend. So many of the meaner deaths come off as jokes that the designers are hoping you're laughing along with. And then there's the Lake of Rot, which feels like an extended inside joke and is pretty hilarious from that angle. "Hey, remember the poison swamps you love to hate? Here's one that does scarlet rot. Actually it's super scarlet rot, it's even worse. And it has like no landmarks. And there's a boss fight in the middle of it. And a tree spirit in the corner. And, oh yeah, some loving basilisks." The whole thing is so over-the-top mean that it can only be a joke. And it's made even better by the fact that you can beeline for the goal and skip almost all of it if you want. You don't have to play along, you can just sprint through and be done with it if you want. Or you can explore and have a laugh with Miyazaki.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

Are you basing your opinions on youtube videos you've watched

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
and as usual anything less than "elden ring is the best" gets a billion fromsoft lads to tell me how i'm wrong, actually lmao

it's still a very good game, settle down!

and no i did not mean there's too much "literal instant kill stuff" but even though i'm okay at FROM games and already know what to do to minimize the bullshit, there's still a lot of "oh, you died"

i know this is on purpose, but it could still be done better! simply having enemies do big number and/or constantly spam big attacks at you is not great when it's like all that happens. its just a lazy way of increasing engagement without adding much value

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Define engagement and define value

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vermain posted:

the big thing for me is the fact that builds are by-and-large relatively homogenous (40-60 VIT if you're not doing a challenge run and then some combination of a single strong weapon and magic), which is then combined with so much of the actual runtime of the game being riding a horse between bland open world puff pieces that're enjoyable to discover the first time and tedious to complete every subsequent time after

i had a pretty good time the first 2/3rds of the way through but it's a game i will probably never reinstall again unless they put out significant changes

Hard disagree with the homogeneity of the builds! I love that you can not just be a miracle user, but specialize in specific types of miracles (next build I do is gonna be dragon miracle man)! You can forge any weapon type into one that works for you, and buddy there are like twenty million weapon types! Plus the cool unique abilities that some weapons have to fool around with! I do co-op ocasionally and rarely will you see the same weapon twice!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

Define engagement and define value

Video Games 1 is really good value

I'm not paying that much to get on Video Games 2

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Upgrading to VideoGames 2 to get rid of the Dog Murderer drawback

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I platted Elden Ring and it was good, maybe the second best Fromsoft game, but then I played Demon's Souls immediately after and was reminded why it's still da best.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't like Fromsoft games but I could not be happier that they exist

(relatively slow-paced, methodical combat and I don't super get along, I like fast-paced CAG stuff more)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Try sekiro

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Hard disagree with the homogeneity of the builds! I love that you can not just be a miracle user, but specialize in specific types of miracles (next build I do is gonna be dragon miracle man)! You can forge any weapon type into one that works for you, and buddy there are like twenty million weapon types! Plus the cool unique abilities that some weapons have to fool around with! I do co-op ocasionally and rarely will you see the same weapon twice!!

this is probably a matter of differing aesthetic preferences in gameplay, since my standard of non-homogeneity is "does selecting these options make me play the game in a meaningfully different way" (mechanical execution, degree of setup required to efficiently kill something, differing defensive options, general gamefeel, etc.) and the answer in elden ring is rarely "yes"

what varies between builds is mostly how good you are at dealing with poo poo at long range (e.g. frenzied burst makes everything that isn't melee range a joke versus someone who just has throwing knives getting clobbered in certain sections) and how many basic attacks you can squeeze in between boss flurries. the only build that truly felt meaningfully different for me to play was using endure to intelligently tank through specific boss combos to trigger stagger, and i'd love if more of that was in the game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haveblue posted:

Try sekiro

yeah I've been planning to lol. it's still like $50 on the xbox though, wtf didn't they buy Activision, Phil fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

drat, I forgot about Nirvana Initiative. Next week?! It's pre-ordered so I own it but this means I need to at least finish the first Great Ace Attorney soon, plus my kid has fallen in love with Path of Radiance but will only play if I'm hanging out with him.

gently caress it, I'm playing Turtles after dinner.