Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've seen people say that PVP is a spoiler because you get to see/use abilities you might not have yet. Crazy people!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't new content. It is something that is effectively impossible to avoid.

Do you think we should spoiler Y'shtola's name every time?

Yeah probably! When I am talking to people playing the game and I know roughly where they are in the story, I do that. Also, when the EW trailer hit, a friend who had quit at some point in stormblood asked me if they should watch the trailer and I told them no precisely because it would have revealed Zenos is still around. This is exactly why I don't read this dumbass thread on patch days and why it was like 10 days into EW before I checked up on it again. People never think about the context around what they say and also hate taking the 2 seconds to spoiler tag something.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Holy Shelltron is really nice. Kinda wish you just got that to begin with lol

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

orcane posted:

That's not the point. Sure, mentioning the tiny detail is against the LP rules but half a dozen goons freaking out and emphasizing how important spoilering or not even mentioning that detail is, every single time, is the opposite of helpful in those situations.

"half a dozen goons" are "freaking out" about that kind of poo poo because it keeps loving happening.

If your response to reading someone's experiences going through the game is to want to talk about what is to come, talk about anything else! Or just don't post! Anything is better!

Like how loving hard is it to ask yourself "Has the person seen this in game yet?" and then not post about it if they haven't?

It doesn't matter if it is a minor spoiler like "the Ishgard rebel woman that poisoned the WoL in 3.2 shows up again in the Stormblood DRK questline" or a major spoiler "The Garlean Empire was created by an Ascian!" If it hasn't been seen, don't loving post about it.

It doesn't matter if you think it is a spoiler or not. "Has the OP experienced this in-game yet?" is not subjective. It is an objective binary. And Goons consistently can't loving help themselves.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

having to spoiler poo poo from content that's years old is annoying.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Note I didn't even say it's okay to write the forbidden words in the LP threads, just that the response of your kind is sometimes completely disproportionate, making the situation worse (Streisand-effect-ing the mentioned spoiler). I like how you put freaking out in airquotes, then wrote that post :)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

orcane posted:

Note I didn't even say it's okay to write the forbidden words in the LP threads, just that the response of your kind is sometimes completely disproportionate, making the situation worse (Streisand-effect-ing the mentioned spoiler). I like how you put freaking out in airquotes, then wrote that post :)

I think a lot of the response is out of frustration since it just keeps happening and a lot of people get really loving tired of it.

It’s not a spoiler, but my personal pet peeve is when people will post things like “I really liked/dislikes the part you’re about to get to!”

When Sanguinia finished HW, a load of people felt the need to post “I hated Stormblood” and poo poo like that. It’s not a spoiler, but when you have someone purposely avoiding reading about any expansions, their content, or their reception, I feel like people posting stuff like that sucks. But that’s my personal pet peeve and I’m not going to die on that hill.

I feel like what it comes down to is that many FFXIV players are really excitable and have poor self control.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Klewer posted:

having to spoiler poo poo from content that's years old is annoying.

Yeah! Doing something take takes no extra effort in order to respect someone’s wishes is annoying!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Like, that's the point, you post according to the thread's rules. If you go to the newbie threadwith its hard No Spoiler Rule, spoiling about Momodi being secretly God or endgame stuff the proper answer isn't "oh well it's hard not to spoil :)" or "hey please don't make a fuss about it :)". If you're on the spoiler thread sure, go nuts since the only spoiler bars used are on the literal Day 1 releases or first week of expansions and that's just for courtesy.

But like, follow the thread rules and don't make a fuss of people making a fuss unless they're dicks about it cause you end up in an endless circle of complains jeez.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lord_Magmar posted:

You literally get paid for those quests, that’s what the quest rewards are, payment for services rendered.

I want shares not a flat rate if I'm responsible for your business' survival. At least a salary position if you're using my products as your proof of quality.

300 gil and a hat is daylight robbery.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah probably! When I am talking to people playing the game and I know roughly where they are in the story, I do that. Also, when the EW trailer hit, a friend who had quit at some point in stormblood asked me if they should watch the trailer and I told them no precisely because it would have revealed Zenos is still around. This is exactly why I don't read this dumbass thread on patch days and why it was like 10 days into EW before I checked up on it again. People never think about the context around what they say and also hate taking the 2 seconds to spoiler tag something.

I just tell people to watch whatever marketing materials Square-Enix puts out that they want, unless SE specifically says there are spoilers for content in them. (Like the Endwalker Flow video.) The problem I see a lot is when people say, "Don't watch this video, there are spoilers in this!" or "That's a spoiler, spoiler tag it!" But a lot of the time, the spoilers are only there for the person who has already played the content because they understand the context around what they're seeing. To people who haven't experienced the content yet, nothing has any context, and their brain just glosses over it. A lot of the time, it'd just be better if people didn't say anything about if something contained spoilers or was a spoiler, ignored it, and moved on.

But my brain is also not bothered by seeing spoilers, so maybe I just get tired of seeing people trying to bend over backwards to hide anything and everything from content people might not have seen yet, a very difficult problem in a game 10 years old with people at different stages of playing it.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah! Doing something take takes no extra effort in order to respect someone’s wishes is annoying!

Don't care

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't get how people can be this lackadaisical about making sure other people have good experiences...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

sassassin posted:

I want shares not a flat rate if I'm responsible for your business' survival. At least a salary position if you're using my products as your proof of quality.

300 gil and a hat is daylight robbery.

But it's a real nice hat and even has the company's logo on it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's tricky. Like, I'd for sure tell a new player to avoid specific marketing materials, specifically that one Shadowbringers E3 trailer that reveals that Zodiark and Hydaelyn are primals, but in context that's not even the biggest reveal in that cutscene.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

IMO anything in promo materials shouldn't really be considered spoilers. Yoship and the writing team is fine with letting you know about it beforehand so it means that knowing about it doesn't detract from the experience at all.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm in favor of taking every reasonable measure to be thoughtful of other people, and things that take effectively 0 effort like generous spoiler tags qualify. At the same time I'm not sure why ITT is the venue for posting about posting about some let's play

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Arist posted:

It's tricky. Like, I'd for sure tell a new player to avoid specific marketing materials, specifically that one Shadowbringers E3 trailer that reveals that Zodiark and Hydaelyn are primals, but in context that's not even the biggest reveal in that cutscene.

Yeah, particularly for players who are just watching the expansion trailers as they reach the expansion in question, I'd hate to ruin the experience of watching the ShB trailer and being increasingly "what the gently caress?!" from about the midpoint onwards.

At the same time though, in a thread almost entirely read by people who have been playing for years, it's hard to consistently put spoiler tags on things that happened years ago. At least here there's multiple threads with their own spoiler rules to suit different people's preferences.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Ibblebibble posted:

IMO anything in promo materials shouldn't really be considered spoilers. Yoship and the writing team is fine with letting you know about it beforehand so it means that knowing about it doesn't detract from the experience at all.

Watching the endwalker trailer is a spoiler if you're still in mid heavensward. The trailers are non spoiler for people who have reached that content.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Arist posted:

I love that trailer, because that wasn’t the plot twist for me in the end: it was the fact that I actually came to believe what Emet said to some extent, after thinking I would never trust an Ascian at their word.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

god drat I thought this was about spoilers in the main thread but it's about an LP thread? why do you need to poo poo up the main thread about an LP not everyone reads or gives a poo poo about?

I'm contributing to it too!!! it's coming from inside!!!!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Edit: nevermind that actually! I am grateful that the content in this patch has been very comfy! It's all kinda sweet and charming and it comes at a good time for me. Really loving the Arkysadora, probably my favorite combat beast tribe since the vath (and they may even end up beating them out once I max the rep out). I am sad that I will probably never use the hippo cart mount though, hate the sound it makes as you're moving.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 16, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

These are the same kind of people who think watching the OP to a show is spoiler, logic doesn't apply here.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to point out that this current discussion wasn't even prompted by a newbie being spoiled, it was chatter about Zenos and someone decided to aggressively soapbox about how revealing he survived Stormblood was a spoiler.

Which, while technically true for a player who has beaten 4.0 but not 4.1, refers to a plot point from content from half a decade ago. Having to spoiler it, its contemporary content, and anything that came after would render this thread unreadable.

The Newbie thread was specifically created to avoid turning this thread into a CIA document. At some point, a line was drawn for the sake of everyone's sanity, and the least we could do is respect that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Having to click on a black bar every time anyone mentions anything which happened after ARR is really annoying too

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I’d like to be assigned the equivalent of a seeing eye dog but for spoilers

They can send me a PM or something to let me know a thread is safe for me to read. No PM? I assume I’m about to walk in to traffic (metaphorically)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

You are aware that means literally everything in the thread has to be spoiled right? Like you can't even say 'I was doing the new beast tribe in Thavnair'

Spoilers are fine. Expanding spoilers to literally everything is insane.

Sorry' can't discuss Star Wars because mentioning Luke Skywalker reveals he survives A New Hope.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

saying zenos is alive spoils exactly four hours of MSQ, meanwhile spoiling the fact that he dies in the first place tips the end of a major expansion whoops

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9r53b6q_c

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

this is terrifying.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The situation in Sanguinia's thread is a separate matter as there are specific conditions being maintained for the purposes of the thread, as one of Sang's stated goals was to experience the story of FFXIV as presented in game as a complete product with as little outside information as possible. As a WoW Lore Thread regular this is actually a concern with precedent, albeit in another game entirely, because supplemental material is required to understand a number of major plots in that game. At least until later developments invalidate them. So, while the discourse around spoilers can become rather trying with how hypervigilant and aggressive people are about stomping spoilers out, it's a thread rule with a purpose and I respect that.

I have less respect for people who, when presented with something that could be a spoiler from EW or could have been a genuine assumption based on information obtained during the course of playing ARR, decided to remove all ambiguity from the situation by loudly proclaiming the post was a spoiler and making a page long production of it, guaranteeing Sanguinia would notice it and accomplishing nothing besides satisfying their own pride.

There's something distressingly paternalistic about heavy-handed spoiler culture and after a point it stops being about protecting new players and just becomes an excuse to be nasty to people.

E:

Vitamean posted:

saying zenos is alive spoils exactly four hours of MSQ, meanwhile spoiling the fact that he dies in the first place tips the end of a major expansion whoops

:yeah:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

now i'm no advocate of driving by the nearest bookstore and yelling that snape kills dumbledore, but also if you enter a space for discussing a thing, you should probably consider the risk of seeing people discuss the thing

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I mean, I didn't even join this thread until I had beaten Endwalker, so I was protecting myself as much as possible. But like, also, what would I have to talk about with people mostly doing current content? Now that I'm there it makes more sense to be here.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

have you considered that the tizzies this thread will spin itself into are extremely funny even lacking full knowledge of the story

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You either die a non-spoilerer or you live long enough to see yourself become an Ascian discourser.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Klewer posted:

Don't care

If more people were just honest like you these discussions would be infinitely less tedious.

Showing some minor consideration to others isn't hard, and all this solipsistic nonsense about how spoilers aren't ~real~ guys just misses the point.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ibblebibble posted:

For specially-made CGI trailers I suppose, but generally in the entertainment industry the people writing stuff have little if any influence on its marketing. A movie trailer will show everything that a completely separate group of people think might get you to pay to see it, whether it spoils the eventual experience or not.

The FFXIV trailers are barely spoilers as the story they show tends to be pretty different apart from the superficial aesthetic elements.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Monarch posted:

Showing some minor consideration to others isn't hard

Your argument is that dozens of posters should take special care to turn the general discussion thread into a CIA document when mentioning nearly decade-old content in passing, despite the existence of a no-spoilers newbie thread, just in case some newbie happens to be reading the general thread while also having a deep aversion to story spoilers

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

No my argument is that you should show consideration to others. Fundamentally you can't decide for others what they do or don't care about. Think up any strawman you want but these conversations always start because someone got upset over having something spoiled for them.

Constant refrains of lambasting "spoiler culture" don't help. As a fan of mystery novels yes I like mysteries, surprises etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

"You should show consideration for others", I demand, while offering no consideration for others myself