Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. Deathloop
11. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
12. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
14. Dark Souls 3
15. Helltaker
16. Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 1 & 2

I love how the combat in this game demands basically giving everything you have, but god it can feel exhausting at times. Final boss of the DLC was super sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

i like city more because despite being a lot more disjointed, it lets you use every gadget as a quickfire attack to use in combat, and the riddles implement more lateral thinking use of your gadgets, and theres a billion more riddles, which were my favorite part of asylum. some of them are some trivial bs like grappling it to take it but a bunch of others are really neat little puzzles. loved that poo poo. the story is stupid crap tho lol

That sounds cool. I did like that City keeps your gadgets from the end of Asylum available from the off. Looking forward to 100% Asylum so I can dig in with City this weekend.

I think the Riddler mysteries are exactly what I want in a collectible hint. Finding a map that gives you approximate locations only. Then having to figure out if it’s a trophy or you need to examine something. The ones where you need to line up a question mark are particularly good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah i always like perspective tricks and some riddler ones are cool. Another thing is that i have never given a single solitary poo poo about batman before and having all the riddles about bits of batman lore was cool cause i didnt know the answer instantly from knowing all that context and had to piece it all together in the moment by looking carefully, and it actually got me curious enough about some of it. since theres so much of it, it also makes the world seem a lot larger and more lively than the game really is
This applies to asylum and city but obv i liked it in city more

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Like did you even know batman had a villain called calendar man whose gimmick is killing on holidays? loving calendar man??
I bet he comes from those early years where there was like brick man or rainbow man or w/e, but you make him the bad guy from se7en crossed with hannibal and yeha its still a dumb gimmick stupid but it really works in there, and really makes it all seem a lot more grander

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ArfJason posted:

Like did you even know batman had a villain called calendar man whose gimmick is killing on holidays? loving calendar man??
I bet he comes from those early years where there was like brick man or rainbow man or w/e, but you make him the bad guy from se7en crossed with hannibal and yeha its still a dumb gimmick stupid but it really works in there, and really makes it all seem a lot more grander

he's actually a major character in the late 80s when they tried to make things all grimdark, lmao.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm on my phone or I would find the image where Batman is yelling "we have to stop the KGBeast from assassinating President Ronald Reagan!!"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'd been playing some of all three Arkham games testing them because I thought the achievements in the xbox one "remakes" were busted, and the combat is definitely clunkier in Asylum. I loaded up a Catwoman challenge room in Knight and within a few tries remembering how to play I was able to easily put up a 100+ combo, now I'm in the middle of Asylum getting like 8 combos. Enemies aren't as patient and are happy to interrupt you during longer animations, in the later two games they pulled back on that and allow you to use the longer animations more to queue up actions in your head. It's pretty interesting to play them back to back like that.

The thing about the knife guys is a good note on how they changed the combat over time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

In the long Halloween comic book I’m reading at the minute there is a second calendar based mass murderer lol

I also like how Asylum characterises riddler as obsessed with riddles and beating Batman but also a total moron. His answer to the classic sphinx riddle is “a baby whose legs you cut off”. A later one has a childhood logic contest he won by cheating in after years of his dad calling him a moron

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the riddler basically just wants to play games and win them by cheating but of course Batman is smarter so he always ends up outside saying "riddle me THIS, garbage bin!" and breaking his foot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

elf help book posted:

I'd been playing some of all three Arkham games testing them because I thought the achievements in the xbox one "remakes" were busted, and the combat is definitely clunkier in Asylum. I loaded up a Catwoman challenge room in Knight and within a few tries remembering how to play I was able to easily put up a 100+ combo, now I'm in the middle of Asylum getting like 8 combos. Enemies aren't as patient and are happy to interrupt you during longer animations, in the later two games they pulled back on that and allow you to use the longer animations more to queue up actions in your head. It's pretty interesting to play them back to back like that.

The thing about the knife guys is a good note on how they changed the combat over time.

I think the combat is 90% there in Asylum and the enemy AI is definitely part of that missing 10%. It's very uncommon an enemy lines up an attack when I am just exiting the takedown animation but it does happen. What I find more common an issue is when there are too many enemies nearby after a takedown. You should expect an attack to counter but they all decide to step back instead. I think this is because only one enemy can attack at a time in Asylum due to Batman being limited to single counters. It means losing a combo if you wait for a counter or alternatively deciding to attack and being interrupted.

That leads into one of the other gaps in the combat I've found a bit of a bother. I understand they are doing all the animations dynamically and it's super impressive how good it looks. It's still a pain when some of Batman's moves take twice as long as others. Often the best move is to attack into someone running at you rather than wait for a counter. This generally works fine but it sucks to get interrupted because Batman decided to to a triple spin kick vs a throat punch.

To be fair though I don't think these issues really matter much outside of the harder rounds of combat challenges.They're definitely something I'd like to see improve in later games and it sounds like they do. I only played two combat encounters in City before deciding to return and 100% Asylum but they were much faster paced. Mooks reliably sprinted at Batman and you could always rely on a guy to be attacking you instead of every single dude in kissing distance awkwardly shuffling their feet and backing off.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

the riddler basically just wants to play games and win them by cheating but of course Batman is smarter so he always ends up outside saying "riddle me THIS, garbage bin!" and breaking his foot.

He calls you throughout going from “that one was easy to find” to screaming that “you must be cheating” towards the end. One of the last ones I found was a super out in the open one I somehow missed and he called to say “how did you find that! It was practically invisible” lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I think the combat is 90% there in Asylum and the enemy AI is definitely part of that missing 10%. It's very uncommon an enemy lines up an attack when I am just exiting the takedown animation but it does happen. What I find more common an issue is when there are too many enemies nearby after a takedown. You should expect an attack to counter but they all decide to step back instead. I think this is because only one enemy can attack at a time in Asylum due to Batman being limited to single counters. It means losing a combo if you wait for a counter or alternatively deciding to attack and being interrupted.

That leads into one of the other gaps in the combat I've found a bit of a bother. I understand they are doing all the animations dynamically and it's super impressive how good it looks. It's still a pain when some of Batman's moves take twice as long as others. Often the best move is to attack into someone running at you rather than wait for a counter. This generally works fine but it sucks to get interrupted because Batman decided to to a triple spin kick vs a throat punch.

To be fair though I don't think these issues really matter much outside of the harder rounds of combat challenges.They're definitely something I'd like to see improve in later games and it sounds like they do. I only played two combat encounters in City before deciding to return and 100% Asylum but they were much faster paced. Mooks reliably sprinted at Batman and you could always rely on a guy to be attacking you instead of every single dude in kissing distance awkwardly shuffling their feet and backing off.

lol yes two guys just standing there waiting juuuuust about to attack

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I ended up reading arkham asylum and long halloween specifically cause of these games lol.

Also making the riddler jigsaw and his entire motivation being that he wants to prove to you that hes smarter and he resorts to exasperated cheating is cool. Theres a riddle in city where the little minigame is rigged and you gotta figure out to disarm some poo poo beforehand by scanning with detective mode and i really wish they did that more, cause it gets the point across really well. Man what a great bunch of games. I should play knight but it seems like its bloated to hell

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

knight is a seriously great game, they had combat 100% locked down, the car stuff is fun and works well to add variety that an "open world" game needs to keep you going

the plot feels like a giant tribute to every big batman story of the 90s and 00s, taking parts of all of them

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

knight is a seriously great game, they had combat 100% locked down, the car stuff is fun and works well to add variety that an "open world" game needs to keep you going

the plot feels like a giant tribute to every big batman story of the 90s and 00s, taking parts of all of them

i really like knight the more i think about it after my playthrough. i did feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of combat options it gives you with quick attacks all tied to your gadgets, and the amount of specific counterattacks you need to do to different bad guy types but it felt like the next and last logical step the combat system could be pushed to.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Knight is good. Hell I even like Origins

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Nutmeg posted:

i really like knight the more i think about it after my playthrough. i did feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of combat options it gives you with quick attacks all tied to your gadgets, and the amount of specific counterattacks you need to do to different bad guy types but it felt like the next and last logical step the combat system could be pushed to.

i was gonna joke the next and last logical step is swapping out characters on the fly mid combo like bayonetta weapons but then i remembered knight does that in some scenes as well

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Being able to destroy weapons when you take down their users would be cool. Flying across the screen to hit a guy just as he bends down to pick up a dropped cattle prod and instantly stun me ftl

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

8. Batman: Arkham City
Yep, pretty much a clear improvement on Asylum. Combat animations are gold and Riddler challenges real addictive.
9. A Hat in Time
Forgot this was on my list until I purchased Psychonauts 2. It has the feel of an amateur game in a lot of ways, but still highly amusing and well worth playing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ArfJason posted:

I ended up reading arkham asylum and long halloween specifically cause of these games lol.

Also making the riddler jigsaw and his entire motivation being that he wants to prove to you that hes smarter and he resorts to exasperated cheating is cool. Theres a riddle in city where the little minigame is rigged and you gotta figure out to disarm some poo poo beforehand by scanning with detective mode and i really wish they did that more, cause it gets the point across really well. Man what a great bunch of games. I should play knight but it seems like its bloated to hell

knight has some cool stuff but yeah, I bounced off of it. I think I will come back to it at some point just because it seems at this point that it'll be the last good game in the series

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Being able to destroy weapons when you take down their users would be cool. Flying across the screen to hit a guy just as he bends down to pick up a dropped cattle prod and instantly stun me ftl

They added that ability in City. The animation when you do it to riot shield dudes is really good

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, you're all wanting me to give Arkham Origins another go. I played some of AA and all of AC ages ago (I wasn't sold on the combat in AA, but as you guys already mentioned, AC seemed to perfect it) but stopped AO not long after starting, for some reason. I think it was a bit buggy back then. Is it still worth going back to? I remember people disliking it compared to the previous Arkham games

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Origins is fine its just like a giant dlc for City

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

Origins is fine its just like a giant dlc for City

Yeah. The story concept is cool and they got Babe’s character right

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Almost finished my platinum, one stealth challenge and one combat challenge left. Boy the final combat challenge stinks though, way too many knife and cattle prod guys and two of the rounds have titans which make your combo basically impossible to raise

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Yeah I gave up on 100% Asylum on Rumble Extreme, lousy titans. Still felt like a badass after 3 starring the electric floor one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s a very stupid way to do the last challenge. The electric floor one was hard too, I passed it with 5 points lol. Gonna just dodge and then try leave the Titan stunned after it’s first Hp bar and see what happens

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you're going to tear through their asses in city, emmy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

welcome posted:

Yeah I gave up on 100% Asylum on Rumble Extreme, lousy titans. Still felt like a badass after 3 starring the electric floor one.

It was really difficult, ended up having a nuts first and second rounds somehow and was easy enough to land the plane after that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

awesome job

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drat congrats

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It was really difficult, ended up having a nuts first and second rounds somehow and was easy enough to land the plane after that.

:D probably easier if you land the plane before playing :D

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

lmao but also good work emmy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Overall I'm glad I went back and did the 100% on Asylum before moving on to City, it left me more appreciative of Asylum than I had been. The Riddler mysteries were a lot of fun and mostly the perfect balance of discoverable for yourself without online guides or being too easy to find. The stealth challenges especially the Extreme ones where Gargoyles were disabled I expected to hate but ended up being very doable and taught me some neat takedowns and other stuff I never knew about. There was one total bullshit one that will go to hell though. The combat challenges I initially liked a lot but by the end the difficulty of them got so high it felt like the combat engine couldn't keep up. Particularly the last one felt like a showcase of all the game's shortcomings rather than an ultimate test of skill requiring every trick you know. Gonna start City tonight, and play it all weekend.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

EmmyOk posted:

Kickass.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

lmao but also good work emmy

Bicyclops posted:

drat congrats

Thanks!

Sub-Actuality posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

seriously congrats though that's impressive

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

drat dude nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

excellent work, welcome to the bat-club