Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

Soldier Boy was found in a top secret lab that was doing experiments with powers and immediately used something no one recognized or knew he could do -- lab experiment does not seem like a stretch in the slightest.

Seems like he could do this before the Russian experiments because he hosed Black Noir up super bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PostNouveau posted:

Seems like he could do this before the Russian experiments because he hosed Black Noir up super bad

Black Noir got hosed up by the explosions. We've never known what his power set was, anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Black Noir got hosed up by the explosions. We've never known what his power set was, anyway.

I suppose it's possible, but he takes a blast from that Naqib guy without even falling over in the second season.

Still seems likely to me that this has always been part of Soldier Boy's power set and that the Russians either convinced him to defect or got some part of the Payback team to betray him to them as a check on the American superheroes.

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

Jesus Christ people in the thread are dense. Noir got hosed up by the explosion because he didn’t want to wear his helmet, as he had literally just said to Stan. And after the explosion he even dramatically reaches for his helmet.

Or you’re trolling, but this is “black SUV” levels of exposition.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
It is interesting that Grace only heard about SB's 'death' secondhand, from Crimson Countess.

Stan escaped the attack unscathed and was just talking about how like him Neumann is for "playing all sides". Maybe he traded Soldier Boy to the russians for something that helped him advance within Vought.

It seems like SB would annoy him about as much as HL.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It didn't occur to me until now but even if they can't seal the deal on Homelander this season I really want someone to at least get a decent hit on him that makes him have a complete breakdown from bleeding his own blood for the first time ever, he is overdue at least one scene of getting physically owned even if it isn't decisive

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

okkie posted:

Jesus Christ people in the thread are dense. Noir got hosed up by the explosion because he didn’t want to wear his helmet, as he had literally just said to Stan. And after the explosion he even dramatically reaches for his helmet.

Or you’re trolling, but this is “black SUV” levels of exposition.

How many pages did it take the thread to finally settle whether or not A-train sold out Supersonic to Homelander?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Dignity posted:

It didn't occur to me until now but even if they can't seal the deal on Homelander this season I really want someone to at least get a decent hit on him that makes him have a complete breakdown from bleeding his own blood for the first time ever, he is overdue at least one scene of getting physically owned even if it isn't decisive

I don't think they kill Homelander before the series finale, and moreover it would be stupid if they did. He's the biggest draw for the show.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

I don't think they kill Homelander before the series finale, and moreover it would be stupid if they did. He's the biggest draw for the show.

I don't think Homelander makes it to the finale I think he dies an episode or two before and then it's about Hughie killing Butcher. As much as the show diverts from the comics, I think this is a beat that really worked and I think the show version is building to something similar

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zoux posted:

I don't think they'll kill him this season either, but things could turn against him for a while and it'd be very fun and cathartic

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think he gets wounded at some point and "reverts" to his subdued state at the start of the season, but it's not exactly the same because now he's also super paranoid on top of everything else. So when he eventually does break again it's well and truly unhinged beyond what we're at here and that leads into the final season

I know some people are complaining that it seems like we're repeating beats for Homelander's arc, but I actually think it's intentional that we're seeing a cycle where Homelander "behaves", and becomes emboldened only to be humbled again, until he feels empowered again, etc. -- and I think it works because it's not exactly the same, each iteration is so much worse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I don't think Homelander makes it to the finale I think he dies an episode or two before and then it's about Hughie killing Butcher. As much as the show diverts from the comics, I think this is a beat that really worked and I think the show version is building to something similar

Yeah that's possible. But HL is pretty safe until around the end of the final season, imo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

Yeah that's possible. But HL is pretty safe until around the end of the final season, imo.

Oh yeah, no argument there

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

How many pages did it take the thread to finally settle whether or not A-train sold out Supersonic to Homelander?

I'm still on the fence. We only have the showrunner's word on that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
No doubt in my mind he did, it's what I'd expect from the guy who defamed Stormfront (who probably wasn't a nazi)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

christmas boots posted:

This, except he dies in the finale of S4 and the last season is The Boys vs Butcher. It's too big to wrap up in 2.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
We need an entire season of Homelander getting depowered and pushed around before getting his powers back in the season finale before we can kill him off.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I still want an episode of Homelander dressing up as Black Noir to see what people really think about him when he's not around, then getting really pissy and upset when he hears it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I haven’t read the comics but the central thesis of the show, imo, is that no one should have the level of power that comes with being a supe. It’s all building up to the boys vs starlight

Season 3 finale: Homelander dies and sets up Starlight as the big bad for the final season. That’s my prediction, lock it in

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
So do you guys think were gonna find out Stan is the one that released the info to Maeve? Cause I kinda think that’s where this is going.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Starks posted:

I haven’t read the comics but the central thesis of the show, imo, is that no one should have the level of power that comes with being a supe. It’s all building up to the boys vs starlight

Season 3 finale: Homelander dies and sets up Starlight as the big bad for the final season. That’s my prediction, lock it in

what are starlights powers?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear that Homelander is moving toward Supe-supremacy and there's nobody who can stop him if he lands there. If in the future being supe in any fashion is the line between upper and lower class, you get your kid the shot.

I almost wonder if (spoiler related to a comic plot adaptation)Herogasm is going to be Homelander gathering up all the worlds supes and blooding them into accepting regular humans as untermensch with documented depravity.

Yeah, that was my take - I haven't read the comic, but I have a feeling they're going to take that event in a very different direction from how I've seen its portrayal in the comics described thus far.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, that was my take - I haven't read the comic, but I have a feeling they're going to take that event in a very different direction from how I've seen its portrayal in the comics described thus far.

I think the closest thing we're going to get to the comic version of that was the supe sex den in 1x01, I just can't see the season's momentum coming to a halt and going off in a whole other direction this late into the season. Regardless I have faith that the writers know what they're doing, and no matter what it's going to be very hosed up.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 16, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
really hosed up for Homelander to force all the other supes to do an orgy under pain of laser eyes. also a weird flex

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

alexandriao posted:

George W Bush breakfast cereal

Dick Cheney breakfast cereal

Ronald Reagan breakfast cereal

Stalin breakfast cereal

etc.

yeah they'd sell

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Khanstant posted:

what are starlights powers?

In the show, she's stronger than normal humans, can take a hit/seems to be reasonably resistant to damage, and has Jubilee-like energy projection.

In the comics, she can also fly. So could Maeve.

I have a feeling in this universe, Homelander is really the only super that has any idea of what they're truly capable of (hence his hubris standing right in front of Victoria - in her bedroom - daring her to TRY to blow his head up), and Vought perfected their "pipeline" of bread and circuses to keep neophyte supers from realizing what they could do if they (and their parents) focused on something other than "what's this worth to me?"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

really hosed up for Homelander to force all the other supes to do an orgy under pain of laser eyes. also a weird flex

“Eat loving rear end, Deep.”

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Does anyone think homelander is a biiit like superman? I like the show and all but this is getting ludicrous

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Beginning to think that Soldier Boy will affect the plot and spur on growth for our characters and world

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dongicus posted:

Beginning to think that Soldier Boy will affect the plot and spur on growth for our characters and world

:hmmyes:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Goon Theory: When homelandwr said "no one can stop me" do you think TWO people could stop him

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Dongicus posted:

Goon Theory: When homelandwr said "no one can stop me" do you think TWO people could stop him

could a multiple system with a supe host beat homelander??

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Paul Reiser will be The Legend

That's certainly a choice

tokin opposition posted:

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?

Dick Cheney technically wasn't head of state

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 16, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also Stalin was paleo guy, as I think we all know.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Soldier Boy off in this hoooo
Watch me crank it watch me roooooll
Watch me crank that Soldier Boy
Then Homelander that ho'

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that superman could've been convinced to commit suicide in a quick conversation with lex luthor

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
why don't you just put the whole thread in a bottle, Khanstant?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Soldier Boy was found in a top secret lab that was doing experiments with powers and immediately used something no one recognized or knew he could do -- lab experiment does not seem like a stretch in the slightest.

Not to mention the huge amount of anti-supe graffiti we see in Russia implies heavily that if they were going to try and develop anything it'd be an anti-supe weapon. They probably injected him with whatever Russian knock-off Compound V they could come up with.

Avasculous posted:

Yeah, I guess we just saw him punching soldiers into the air, which it seems like most Supes can do. It might have sold it more if we saw him take a rocket to the face or kick a tank to death or something.

I do wonder if the general lack of super-powered antics beyond eye-lasers is deliberate or due to lack of budget/CGI time/imagination. I feel like the show would benefit from some "holy poo poo, he really does have Godlike power" moments to back up all the reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bussamove posted:

“Eat Timothy's loving rear end, Deep.”