Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i'm playing City of Gangsters and it really makes me want to play the OG Gangsters game but oof its so rough and i suuuuuck at it

but its hilarious to firebomb poo poo and do drivebys in the OG one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vermain posted:

this is probably a matter of differing aesthetic preferences in gameplay, since my standard of non-homogeneity is "does selecting these options make me play the game in a meaningfully different way" (mechanical execution, degree of setup required to efficiently kill something, differing defensive options, general gamefeel, etc.) and the answer in elden ring is rarely "yes"

what varies between builds is mostly how good you are at dealing with poo poo at long range (e.g. frenzied burst makes everything that isn't melee range a joke versus someone who just has throwing knives getting clobbered in certain sections) and how many basic attacks you can squeeze in between boss flurries. the only build that truly felt meaningfully different for me to play was using endure to intelligently tank through specific boss combos to trigger stagger, and i'd love if more of that was in the game

Fine. To me "use spear" is different from "use great club". If you want to reduce it to "how many r1s can I sneak in during the boss's downtime", I. E. 5% of the game, then that's that, you're looking for monsterhunter-depth, which is ofc valid but not what the souls have ever offered

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
oh i played through umurangi generation the last couple days too, despite the movement controls that's a rad game

what are some other good photography games

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pokemon Snap

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looper posted:

oh i played through umurangi generation the last couple days too, despite the movement controls that's a rad game

what are some other good photography games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIQIqnGrY7c

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Beyond Good and Evil

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i rate games based on how i feel about them during play and then after, as an overall average of my various moment-to-moment feelings. elden ring had a decent amount of "wow this vista of this new region i have yet to explore looks beautiful!" but it was drowned out by "thank god i finally beat that loving boss/enemy, that was awful" and "jesus loving christ how many times am i going to die to this" and "every single loving quest i do kills off another npc i really liked" and "gently caress sake i can't find a weapon that i like, my build is dogshit" and "i've finally decided on the weapon i like, which makes everything else i find meaningless"

in short, elden ring kinda bad. you hate to see it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao if you died in elden ring. maybe strap on the training wheels and go back to demon souls and work your way up

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

lmao if you died in elden ring. maybe strap on the training wheels and go back to demon souls and work your way up

yeah that was another thing. i did have on the training wheels, i used spirit ashes, mimic tear, and player summons all the time, and the constant howling of the community against using such "crutches" also felt really bad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It is with a heavy heart that I say: Fortnite is fun.

In truth, I actually have always thought it was cool how they're willing to do wackier stuff with it than other BRs and I like how the map is always changing and there's like... storylines and all the weird celebrity skins and all that. But I just didn't want to do the building. They have since added no build mode as a permanent mode and I started playing and it's just been a fun time. I like how there's all sorts of poo poo on the map that isn't just cover for killing other players. The big area of the map that's a rave, the balls with grapples you can ride around, you can mount and tame warthogs and wolves (the wolves will actually sniff out other players hiding in grass), there's various quests and NPCs that have nothing to do with even interacting with other players, you can fish, there's sharks in the water and you can attack them or use a fishing pole to ride them like water skis. Recently me and my friends were hold up in a house being attacked by two different teams and then the shark in the nearby lake just decided I guess it was angry at us and burst out of the lake and tore through the house and destroyed it. It was pretty funny. The current storyline of a big magic tree on the map, and its roots are spreading around the map periodically and bursting from the ground, as well as infecting the water with some kind of magic. Players can get a seed from the roots and throw it down to grow a flower. The flower can grow different rarities of weapons you can pick. And I think by the end of the season they'll be all around the map.

I'm really curious the amount of new players Fortnite brought in with the no build mode, because I'm sure there were a lot like me who wanted to try the game out but didn't want to build. I've certainly had no problems finding matches within seconds so it's not a niche mode at all

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

and as usual anything less than "elden ring is the best" gets a billion fromsoft lads to tell me how i'm wrong, actually lmao

I wasn't saying you were wrong! I was just talking about why it worked for me from a different perspective. This isn't the unpopular video game opinions thread, nobody has to be objectively wrong or right :v:

It's not even my GOTY probably, though in fairness it's hard for any game to beat a game that was pitched pretty much directly at me personally (Triangle Strategy)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sorry to hear that. i used all those things and the community cheered me on and recognized me for the elden badass i am.

in short, if you die youre a loser, if you tryhard you're also a loser, if you criticize how another person plays you're a loser, and if you point out hypocrisy well take a guess what u r

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Macaluso posted:

In truth, I actually have always thought it was cool how they're willing to do wackier stuff with it than other BRs and I like how the map is always changing and there's like... storylines and all the weird celebrity skins and all that. But I just didn't want to do the building. They have since added no build mode as a permanent mode and I started playing and it's just been a fun time. I like how there's all sorts of poo poo on the map that isn't just cover for killing other players. The big area of the map that's a rave, the balls with grapples you can ride around, you can mount and tame warthogs and wolves (the wolves will actually sniff out other players hiding in grass), there's various quests and NPCs that have nothing to do with even interacting with other players, you can fish, there's sharks in the water and you can attack them or use a fishing pole to ride them like water skis. Recently me and my friends were hold up in a house being attacked by two different teams and then the shark in the nearby lake just decided I guess it was angry at us and burst out of the lake and tore through the house and destroyed it. It was pretty funny. The current storyline of a big magic tree on the map, and its roots are spreading around the map periodically and bursting from the ground, as well as infecting the water with some kind of magic. Players can get a seed from the roots and throw it down to grow a flower. The flower can grow different rarities of weapons you can pick. And I think by the end of the season they'll be all around the map.

I'm really curious the amount of new players Fortnite brought in with the no build mode, because I'm sure there were a lot like me who wanted to try the game out but didn't want to build. I've certainly had no problems finding matches within seconds so it's not a niche mode at all

drat that sounds cool as gently caress!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kerrzhe posted:

yeah that was another thing. i did have on the training wheels, i used spirit ashes, mimic tear, and player summons all the time, and the constant howling of the community against using such "crutches" also felt really bad

Those people are idiots

The games have always revolved using everything possible and asymmetrical multi, it's why they're good

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if it wasnt for summons id have never got past Ludwig in bloodborne

summons own

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have definitely considered giving Fortnite a try now that there's the no-building mode. The building part of it never appealed to me at all which is why I never tried it before.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my foot sprayed ice and the badguys die lol they see their friend die to it and walk right into me if the game wasnt supposed 2 b easy they would make the enemies smart

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I beat Elden Ring with a sword that shoots lasers

Which one? All of them. I used as many swords that shoot lasers as I could. My favorite one is the one that can shoot lasers but can also shoot exploding star clusters.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Macaluso posted:

drat you for tempting me. Is it still 3rd person or is this mode 1st?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i also got spoiled on who/what the final boss was by a goddamn Dunkey video of all things and that just ruined the whole thing tbh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Zil posted:

drat you for tempting me. Is it still 3rd person or is this mode 1st?

It's still 3rd person. I saw something going around about a rumor that there's a 1st person mode in the works but honestly I think the 3rd person camera is another thing that sets this apart from other BRs. Plus I like that I get to see my character's cosmetics. I have a Dune Zendaya skin with an Among Us backpack on that makes the Among Us kill noise when you get downed in a squad :buddy:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

i also got spoiled on who/what the final boss was by a goddamn Dunkey video of all things and that just ruined the whole thing tbh

People were really free with the spoilers on Elden Ring for some reason. Even shortly after launch people were posting the names of the final bosses in the Elden Ring thread here without spoiler tags.

I get not spoiler tagging like random things you find out while exploring--these games are designed for people to share stories about that sort of thing, it's an explicit part of the whole experience--but I feel like that thread just didn't give a gently caress. I was sorta surprised nobody complained but maybe spoiler-averse people just made the smart choice and stayed out of the thread, I dunno.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Macaluso posted:

It's still 3rd person. I saw something going around about a rumor that there's a 1st person mode in the works but honestly I think the 3rd person camera is another thing that sets this apart from other BRs. Plus I like that I get to see my character's cosmetics. I have a Dune Zendaya skin with an Among Us backpack on that makes the Among Us kill noise when you get downed in a squad :buddy:

For me it being 3rd person makes it better, 1st person games make me sick now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I finished the lvl 10 archer quest which is super exciting because it means I unlocked the rest of the jobs! :neckbeard: I've already signed up to be a conjurer and a carpenter and let me tell you crafting in this game looks way more fun than it is in WoW. There's like, an actual game you have to do to craft an item! I'm also very excited to try out the other classes to see how they different they play to my cool rear end murderbursts of archery damage :D

So based on what the game said is it right there's no limit to the number of trade jobs you can do?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rarity posted:

FF14:

I finished the lvl 10 archer quest which is super exciting because it means I unlocked the rest of the jobs! :neckbeard: I've already signed up to be a conjurer and a carpenter and let me tell you crafting in this game looks way more fun than it is in WoW. There's like, an actual game you have to do to craft an item! I'm also very excited to try out the other classes to see how they different they play to my cool rear end murderbursts of archery damage :D

So based on what the game said is it right there's no limit to the number of trade jobs you can do?

Correct!

In fact it's generally suggested to be an omni-crafter, since all the crafting jobs use stuff from each other. Culnarian is the only one that felt like I didn't necessarily need the others, and a lot of the mats for even late level stuff could just be bought from vendors or gotten from low level nodes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Rarity posted:

FF14:

Nope, you can do them all. I actually maxed all my crafting jobs before any of the combat ones.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

playing more "ocarina of time" and I always thought it was a cool detail how all the bosses have these titles added to their names except for Ganon

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It should be noted that leveling up the crafting jobs can be somewhat challenging on the free trial, since a lack of access to the Market Board means you won't be able to easily acquire certain crafting materials that are used while leveling or to complete certain quests. It's not impossible by any stretch, but leveling up gathering jobs to help support your crafting jobs is usually advisable as a free player.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

lol kind of sounds like the world conspired to make you have the worst possible time and impression of the game. you got robbed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm kind of indifferent about Fromsoft spoilers because I rarely understand anything that's going on until I've already beaten the game and look up a plot synopsis on youtube.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Correct!

In fact it's generally suggested to be an omni-crafter, since all the crafting jobs use stuff from each other. Culnarian is the only one that felt like I didn't necessarily need the others, and a lot of the mats for even late level stuff could just be bought from vendors or gotten from low level nodes.

level your fishing! it's so easy now! ocean fishing!!!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vermain posted:

It should be noted that leveling up the crafting jobs can be somewhat challenging on the free trial, since a lack of access to the Market Board means you won't be able to easily acquire certain crafting materials that are used while leveling or to complete certain quests. It's not impossible by any stretch, but leveling up gathering jobs to help support your crafting jobs is usually advisable as a free player.

Well I've been slowly extending my play sessions to test how much my computer can handle it and I know it can hit an hour straight so I'll probably be jumping up to the paid version fairly soon :derp:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rarity posted:

Well I've been slowly extending my play sessions to test how much my computer can handle it and I know it can hit an hour straight so I'll probably be jumping up to the paid version fairly soon :derp:

I mean, the free trial does include the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime. I'd personally wait until you start getting lots of things to 60 before buying the expansions even if you're loving the game. Unless you wanna gamer with friends since the free trial restricts that I think.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rarity posted:

:namazu:

Khanstant posted:

lol kind of sounds like the world conspired to make you have the worst possible time and impression of the game. you got robbed.

it's pretty depressing, yeah. i doubt i'll reinstall it again either unless there's new dlc. maybe if enough time passes i can try and pretend that i am doing a new "fresh" run and see how i feel.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Rarity's next post will be about how they had to perform surgery on a Head of State's hamster that fell out of an airplane on the moon

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kerrzhe posted:

level your fishing! it's so easy now! ocean fishing!!!!

I'll get to it eventually, i got distracted with other things. Like the aforementioned Fortnite

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

verbal enema posted:

Rarity's next post will be about how they had to perform surgery on a Head of State's hamster that fell out of an airplane on the moon

These hallucinations are getting weirder and weirder

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Help Im Alive posted:

playing more "ocarina of time" and I always thought it was a cool detail how all the bosses have these titles added to their names except for Ganon

Ganon just gets the slightly bigger, but still more intimidating font

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Squeenix just won Keigh3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

is master chief the ugliest videogame character design of all time or only the ugliest green space marine of all time?