Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

No company on earth currently makes a road legal sportbike with less than 600cc. It is a thing that no longer exists.

https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/supersport/ktm-rc-390-2022.html

Team orange has your back again, slavvy.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

No company on earth currently makes a road legal sportbike with less than 600cc. It is a thing that no longer exists.

No one makes a TRUE capital S Sportbike less than 600cc.

Plenty of companies make standard bikes that could fool the general public because Fairings = Fast. Looking at you, R3/Ninja 400

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nope, try riding one. Upright ergos, midset pegs, low strung engine.

Carteret posted:

No one makes a TRUE capital S Sportbike less than 600cc.

Plenty of companies make standard bikes that could fool the general public because Fairings = Fast. Looking at you, R3/Ninja 400

Yeah

So

Nobody makes a sportbike under 600cc

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Honda CBR600RR
599cc

:smug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Honda CBR600RR
599cc

:smug:

Some local legal fun facts:

A 'learner approved' bike is up to 650cc + less than ~50hp. You can get throttled versions of the sv, mt07, ninja 650 et al that fulfill these criteria. This criteria let's you ride on a learner license.

A 'full sized' bike is 600cc or bigger. Full sized bikes pay about 30% more annual registration fees (around $600 total, $450 for the smaller bikes), with the supposed logic being that the fees are proportionate to accident claims and bigger faster bikes put more people in the hospital.

This means that your learner approved, 50hp cb650 costs about $200 more to register, in the name of safety, than a 599cc, 110hp cbr600rr, because it's a full sized bike and the cbr is not. Very smart stuff.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You'd think with all the data out there nowadays, they would have a really good idea of crash rates for each model and price accordingly. Then again maybe it's not worth paying expensive actuaries for a relatively small % of vehicles.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah that makes astonishingly little sense, wow. Carriers in the US definitely seem to factor in type of bike and do some kind of crash likelihood, because Ninja 650s and Honda 500s with insurance carriers I've shopped around with are significantly cheaper than all i4 600s. Also naked bikes tend to be cheaper, whether that's because they get crashed less or just perceived as less fast and dangerous lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd say nakeds are cheaper cause they're less likely to be written off from a driveway drop, fairings are expensive. This is another reason to not get a faired bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wish US vehicle registration costs were based on something sensible like weight + annual miles. I end up paying more road-use tax for my 300lbs $5,000 motorcycle that does 3-5k miles per year than a 5000lbs $100,000 Tesla doing 30k miles/year. :hellyeah:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am super confused. In the tax capitol state of NY, my bikes are $17.50 per year each to register. Road use tax? There is no way NY is cheaper at anything, right?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Granted I just bought my bike so numbers might be different in subsequent years but my registration in California cost $218.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I just renewed my AZ registration for 5 years for $253.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I am super confused. In the tax capitol state of NY, my bikes are $17.50 per year each to register. Road use tax? There is no way NY is cheaper at anything, right?

You pay tax on gasoline ostensibly to fund the construction and maintenance of the roads, “road use tax.” A Tesla doesn’t pay any of that at all, despite (in my contrived but not entirely unrealistic example) putting far more wear on the roads, which is why I think registration fees should be based on your vehicle weight and miles driven, rather than whatever it is currently.

My most recent registration for my bike in California was $169. My car was $319.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My Monkey's 2yr Oregon registration was about $200

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Would the ZX-25R count? No idea what the riding position is like on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Would the ZX-25R count? No idea what the riding position is like on it.

Neither, I reserve judgement on that one till I've seen it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Modern technology society and culture are in a very lamentable state that this is a true fact.

Remember back when there was a 125gp class which attracted high level factory R&D with technological innovation and not just a feeder series for younger riders?

Make Small Displacements Great Again.

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

I realized last week that there are such things as inflatable kayaks, and that my walmart had one with a carrying case for $90. I thought to myself, "bet I can figure out how to carry this on my bike". Took out the pump and paddles, stuffed them in my military bag, and strapped the bulk of the kayak down. It looks loose as hell in the picture but it was on there good. I used the passenger hold strap on the seat, and the passenger foot peg frame things to strap down to. Rode 20 minutes to the lake with no issues, realized it was way too windy to even try to kayak, and rode back home no issue. The wind kept trying to kick the tires out from under me but that was honestly kind of fun. Just took it slow and made wide turns.

Love this Z125, ready to move up to a Z400 though. I'm killing this poor little motor going WOT everywhere in 100 degree weather. It's making noises it didn't make when I bought it. I've been commuting for about a month now, 30-50 minutes twice a day. I don't take the route where I got t-boned anymore, so now I'm in traffic going 40mph max, but I still quadruple check every single intersection.

I've also watched every Ewan McGregor "Long Way Round" series, I highly recommend you guys check that out if you're at all into ADV riding. It's free on Tubi. Been watching this stunt squid's series "More Bad Ideas", and it's this dude in Miami that's deep in the illegal underground scene. The crazy poo poo they do would piss off a lot of people but I think it's awesome and hilarious. I've become obsessed with everything motorcycles

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Howdges posted:

I realized last week that there are such things as inflatable kayaks, and that my walmart had one with a carrying case for $90. I thought to myself, "bet I can figure out how to carry this on my bike". Took out the pump and paddles, stuffed them in my military bag, and strapped the bulk of the kayak down. It looks loose as hell in the picture but it was on there good. I used the passenger hold strap on the seat, and the passenger foot peg frame things to strap down to. Rode 20 minutes to the lake with no issues, realized it was way too windy to even try to kayak, and rode back home no issue. The wind kept trying to kick the tires out from under me but that was honestly kind of fun. Just took it slow and made wide turns.

Love this Z125, ready to move up to a Z400 though. I'm killing this poor little motor going WOT everywhere in 100 degree weather. It's making noises it didn't make when I bought it. I've been commuting for about a month now, 30-50 minutes twice a day. I don't take the route where I got t-boned anymore, so now I'm in traffic going 40mph max, but I still quadruple check every single intersection.

I've also watched every Ewan McGregor "Long Way Round" series, I highly recommend you guys check that out if you're at all into ADV riding. It's free on Tubi. Been watching this stunt squid's series "More Bad Ideas", and it's this dude in Miami that's deep in the illegal underground scene. The crazy poo poo they do would piss off a lot of people but I think it's awesome and hilarious. I've become obsessed with everything motorcycles

Very clever.

FWIW, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but some other motorcycle channels on youtube are:
https://www.youtube.com/c/FortyFourTeeth - british guys. I like their budget bike battles the most but if you don't like them you're really not going to like them.
https://www.youtube.com/c/IRCTireUSAMoto - hard enduro training!
https://www.youtube.com/c/CrossTrainingEnduroSkills - regular dirtbike training
https://www.youtube.com/c/SquidTips - a guy who had an off-duty cop pull a gun on him and used it to buy a fast bike. He has opinions about things.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TractioneRag - worth watching just for the 50 years of kicks documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
https://www.youtube.com/c/TokyoOffroad - two stroke stuff, some nice rides.
https://www.youtube.com/user/StrangelyBrownNo1 - a couple of funny reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SibirskyExtreme - video of a guy who did a better job of the russian part of long way round
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvXjaX4Ukq8 - races to places with lyndon poskitt but this is just the dakar portion.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

builds character posted:

https://www.youtube.com/c/FortyFourTeeth - british guys. I like their budget bike battles the most but if you don't like them you're really not going to like them.

If you do like them, I'd also recommend Baron von Grumble's vlog/channel (which predates 44 Teeth).

https://www.youtube.com/c/BaronVonGrumble

I also like Chronicles of Solid, although I haven't watched the last few videos he put out. It's ADV stuff but more like light-weight dual sport bikes rather than GSA etc. It's basically a guy who likes motorcycles and camping rather than some pretentious RTW "wow what an adventure" stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/c/chroniclesofsolidCOS

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you like adventure riding, watch anything other than Long Way Round and other Ewan cries while Charlie whines shows.

Motoventuring (a fantastic retired goon), Lyndon Poskitt's Races to Places (start at the very beginning), Itchy Boots are all good shows.

Seconding Cross Training Enduro and Cross Training Adventure stuff.

Guy Martin's got some great stuff but actually not a lot of moto content any more.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Howdges posted:

I realized last week that there are such things as inflatable kayaks, and that my walmart had one with a carrying case for $90. I thought to myself, "bet I can figure out how to carry this on my bike".

This is brilliant.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The original long way round is pretty important IMO because it really introduced a lot of people to the concept of adventure riding.

Every long way * after that has been not nearly as good or important and can be safely skipped

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It introduced people to the concept of repeatedly falling over and getting stuck cause you're on the wrong bike, at least

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I didn’t say “good” adventure riding. But I personally know people who didnt even know a motorcycle could make it around the world before that series

Also whoever turned that deal down at KTM should have been fired

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

God, can you imagine our dear Slavvy in the timeline where KTM got the LWR bump instead of BMW? :ohdear:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I’m not going to watch any of those youtube channels :D

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I thought the first one was interesting and mildly entertaining. Mostly the scenery and interaction with locals. As stated, it introduced me to cool unorthodox travel and "adventure riding". Part of me liked that they weren't super great riders, it appealed to my young inexperienced self and nice to see the gently caress ups. The other two felt a little ... Blah.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I remember watching a LWR-type series a long time ago , possibly on early YouTube but I might have pirated the thing somehow too. This was before McGregor did his thing. As I remember it it was two non-famous guys from the UK. They rode pretty small displacement bikes, probably japanese. I think they went Cape Town first, then Argentina-Alaska-Siberia-home. I've been trying to find this series again but I can't.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 15, 2022

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you are looking for an ADV traveling fix, I heartily recommend Races2Places. Really anyone who likes travel would enjoy it, but it's like crack for people who like adventure riding or motorcycles. Lyndon is this really humble and cheery person, and he goes all over the world. The idea is that he takes his rally prepped bike motocamping on all sorts of backwater trails across countries, with stops at actually rally races along the way. Once at a race, he takes the camping stuff off and preps the bike and generally kicks rear end and takes names in the competition. It's a good look behind the scenes in rally racing too.

https://www.youtube.com/c/lyndonposkitt

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

builds character posted:

My first run in with them was before I even had a bike license and they were in Switzerland or something and they'd got caught speeding by the cops and one of them was banned from riding in the country. Clocked doing nearly double the speed limit and the entire video is whining about being caught breaking the law, woe is me bullshit "I didn't know", "it's very difficult not to speed". Just own up to it you massive ringpiece, you rolled the dice, did some dumb poo poo and got clocked. Eat the fine, maybe don't speed in Switzerland again. :rolleyes: that video was very telling and I decided that no, I did not need to watch any more of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My first run in with them was before I even had a bike license and they were in Switzerland or something and they'd got caught speeding by the cops and one of them was banned from riding in the country. Clocked doing nearly double the speed limit and the entire video is whining about being caught breaking the law, woe is me bullshit "I didn't know", "it's very difficult not to speed". Just own up to it you massive ringpiece, you rolled the dice, did some dumb poo poo and got clocked. Eat the fine, maybe don't speed in Switzerland again. :rolleyes: that video was very telling and I decided that no, I did not need to watch any more of them.

Square.txt

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's a lot of lad-ism in their videos and some of them are really really stupid, but overall, their journeys across Europe are usually worth watching.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Another channel you will either like very much or not, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSiDsv_zoU this is polish enduro guys doing ridiculous things.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

Square.txt

:ironicat:

Complaining over speeding tickets is in fact extremely lame.

(Also, this is the newbie thread, maybe you shouldn't front "going twice the speed limit is cool and good, and only squares think otherwise")

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I front 'speed limits are an arbitrary number set by politics and enforced for profit and have no connection to safety or motorcycle dynamics', I think newbies should internalize this because a number on a speedo will not protect you, only skill and judgment matter.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Indeed, they quite often don't make sense from a motorcycle point of view. For cars things are totally different.

In my neighborhood, the speed limit is 50km/h. It makes total sense in a car because there are a bunch of junctions in the road that people come out of. Any faster and you'd still have to brake for those to pass at a safe speed.
On my bike, with less than half throttle, i can hit 70km/h between the junctions and and engine braking alone is enough for me to be back at 50 well before the junction, so people can register my presence (god willing lol) and so i can brake if they don't see me.

But they're not gonna post the road 50/70/50/70 etc because doing that in a car is just extremely wasteful.

I just wish speed limits were more dynamic, varying with the road conditions. But that's never gonna happen.

They do have to do with safety though, within city limits the safety of driving 50 instead of 80 is undeniable. Both because of the intensity of the impact if something happens, and because of the brake distance.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

speed limits are an arbitrary number set by politics and enforced for profit and have no connection to safety

Christ

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

LimaBiker posted:

Indeed, they quite often don't make sense from a motorcycle point of view. For cars things are totally different.

In my neighborhood, the speed limit is 50km/h. It makes total sense in a car because there are a bunch of junctions in the road that people come out of. Any faster and you'd still have to brake for those to pass at a safe speed.
On my bike, with less than half throttle, i can hit 70km/h between the junctions and and engine braking alone is enough for me to be back at 50 well before the junction, so people can register my presence (god willing lol) and so i can brake if they don't see me.

But they're not gonna post the road 50/70/50/70 etc because doing that in a car is just extremely wasteful.

I just wish speed limits were more dynamic, varying with the road conditions. But that's never gonna happen.

They do have to do with safety though, within city limits the safety of driving 50 instead of 80 is undeniable. Both because of the intensity of the impact if something happens, and because of the brake distance.

What are you on about? Speed limits are LIMITS, not recommendations, this is the main problem with how things are. Most people are always trying to drive at or above the speed limit, when really they should be going "anywhere" below the limit. No matter what vehicle you are in or on, faster is never better, brake distances are always a squared function and no matter how good your brakes are, reaction times are not affected by that. Modern speed limits can be argued to have arbitrary roots, but they are based on science and math, which is also one of the reasons many townships around me are lowering limits from 50 to 30 kph on secondary roads. It's the basic concept of any engineered road, that people have to be able to stop within the distance necessary to avoid collision. At junctions you have to either reduce your speed to an amount that would make this possible within sight or have some other form of yielding (Signs or signals). It's never an acceptable approach to go "lol I can get through the intersection before you could possibly hit me if I go x fast".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

If you are not gently caress The Police then why ride motorcycles?