Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TNG averages better than DS9 anyway, so even if you do land in a lovely one you're still coming out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

CainFortea posted:

TNG averages better than DS9 anyway, so even if you do land in a lovely one you're still coming out ahead.

:wrong:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
TNG is better if you just want to watch one episode but ds9 is better if you’re gonna watch a couple

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I watched The Visitor recently for the first time n my nose was honking at the end of that episode

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CainFortea posted:

I'm not sure I agree

DS9 has been better across the board for me

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bltzn posted:

t'kuvma has two dongs so i think the answer is obvious

We don't know for sure that it is two dongs, just (at least) two holes. Could be an echidna dick situation. 1 dick, 4 heads, but only 2 heads can become erect at a time.

If your job is weird about echidna dicks this could be :nws: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/jun...-time-1.6070035 Scroll down for pics.

quote:

She and her team found that the erectile tissue and the blood supply in the penis is split, so that it can direct blood flow to alternating sides. And while only two of the heads can become erect at one time, the animals could switch sides on command, up to 10 times in a row.

"We think it's because of this unique system they have in the structure, that they just have to change the blood flow. So while one side is recovering, they can just switch the blood flow to the other side and keep going," she said.

Now that's some fine Klingon redundancy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not sure I agree

DS9 has been better across the board for me

I bounced off DS9 season 2 so many times I only ever managed to finish the whole series by getting a bunch of recommendations for standalone great episodes.

And i've not once felt the desire to rewatch any of them (except trials and tribble-ations)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The episodes where Worf is consistently sexually harassed by Jadzia

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I can't watch every TNG episode, I've been spoiled by DS9 superiority. how is this guide to skip the bad episodes? https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/wiki/algernonguide_tng

I skip the "avoid" episodes and depending on the plot the just for fun or meh episodes.

Yeah, for the most part, that guide lines up with the popular overall impressions, although everyone is sure to find something to nitpick. (My own nitpicks, at least at first glance, are that The Survivors and Identity Crisis should be ranked higher, while Silicon Avatar should be lower.)

Lots of people will tell you to watch every episode, even the terrible ones (or especially the terrible ones), and honestly, I agree. But there's almost no episode-to-episode continuity, so if you're going to skip stuff or pick episodes at random, this is the show to do it to.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There's an episode where Data and Geordi enter the rave dimension. Turn audio on

https://i.imgur.com/VEnG0IW.mp4

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 16, 2022

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

There's an episode where Data and Geordi enter the rave dimension. Turn audio on

This feels like something that needs an epilepsy warning, lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Facebook Aunt posted:

This feels like something that needs an epilepsy warning, lol.

I spoilered it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

But tbh the episode does the exact same thing if you have a TV in a dark room lol that scene is jacked up

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I bounced off DS9 season 2 so many times I only ever managed to finish the whole series by getting a bunch of recommendations for standalone great episodes.

And i've not once felt the desire to rewatch any of them (except trials and tribble-ations)

Season 2 opens with that Bajoran politics three-parter so I totally understand wanting to bail

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You're a cool dude.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I can't watch every TNG episode, I've been spoiled by DS9 superiority. how is this guide to skip the bad episodes? https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/wiki/algernonguide_tng

I skip the "avoid" episodes and depending on the plot the just for fun or meh episodes.

seems awfully generous towards seasons 1 and 2, imo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Season 2 opens with that Bajoran politics three-parter so I totally understand wanting to bail

Eh, the Bajoran politics were fine. They were never my favorite. But it was the maquis bullshit that just made me hate it so much.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CainFortea posted:

Eh, the Bajoran politics were fine. They were never my favorite. But it was the maquis bullshit that just made me hate it so much.

Eddington's rant about Federation age of consent laws and the Maquis telling the Cardassians they were sovereign galactic citizens really made me hate them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also the way the show presented them as the reasonable ones and how they deserve the viewer's sympathy just sucked.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lmao eddington was a canadian trucker

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CainFortea posted:

Also the way the show presented them as the reasonable ones and how they deserve the viewer's sympathy just sucked.

I took it as more that it sucked to BE them, but I was never really sympathetic to the Maquis. They were given just as much of the "there were some good ones" as any other faction in the show. Hell, even if the show did treat em with kid gloves that's cause Eddington alone torpedos their cause.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The only thing that sucked about the Maquis' situation was their decision making skills.

At worst their situation was mildly annoying.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tighclops posted:

lmao eddington was a canadian trucker

What, did he park on top of Starfleet headquarters for a month?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the maquis ended up in a real lovely situation as the direct result of their own decisions and then kept doubling down. at any point they could have surrendered to the federation to face several years of spa therapy.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
WTF why did Worf just stab his brother in the chest?!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CainFortea posted:

The only thing that sucked about the Maquis' situation was their decision making skills.

At worst their situation was mildly annoying.

I mean the Cardassians were trying to force them all out of Cardassian space, but they weren't supposed to stay there in the first place. It was their own drat fault they stayed, and expecting the Federation to come to their rescue after the Federation specifically agreed to not do that was also very dumb.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Remember when they hired a random guy from LA to be their "Native American" consultant for Robert Beltran's character?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

I mean the Cardassians were trying to force them all out of Cardassian space, but they weren't supposed to stay there in the first place. It was their own drat fault they stayed, and expecting the Federation to come to their rescue after the Federation specifically agreed to not do that was also very dumb.

That's not even it! The Federation repeatedly tried to save them. But they were saving them by offering to evacuate them safely and build them entire new loving cities in places that weren't under occupation by shithead fascists.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Definitely not reservations

We've drawn a whole lot of parallels here for no reason whatsoever and it definitely won't do you any kind of good to read too deeply into them or try to intuit some meaning by taking them to their logical conclusions.

Anyway, here's Chakotay

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 17, 2022

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

infernal machines posted:

Definitely not reservations

They could have contacted the Federation and booked a colony planet ahead of time.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Remember when they hired a random guy from LA to be their "Native American" consultant for Robert Beltran's character?

wasn't it an italian guy who had made a career in hollywood out of pretending to be native american and had already been discredited?

or did they ALSO hire a random guy off the street?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

More suckin and fuckin this week on SNW :dance:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Folks itt talk about bouncing off ds9 or tng.
That was me with voyager.

The trek that made me realize I could actively dislike trek on multiple levels and had me doing a grandpa Simpson out the door plus added comical slide whistle effect almost immediately, and trek's never been the same since for me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

wasn't it an italian guy who had made a career in hollywood out of pretending to be native american and had already been discredited?

or did they ALSO hire a random guy off the street?

I thought he was Italian too, but no, he was born in LA and his parents were Americans for some time too. I guess that's probably conflating the guy from that anti-littering ad, and Jackie Marks.

Jackie Marks was born in LA, and had made a career of pretending to have native American heritage, and had been discredited about 20 years before they hired him.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Endless Trash posted:

More suckin and fuckin this week on SNW :dance:

Does SNW have the prettiest Trek cast? I feel like it does. Whole lotta good genes on that set.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Outpost22 posted:

WTF why did Worf just stab his brother in the chest?!

Worf's brother is sad and stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, nimoy was a very pretty man

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HD DAD posted:

Does SNW have the prettiest Trek cast? I feel like it does. Whole lotta good genes on that set.

They have charm for miles. Nobody here used charisma as a dump stat.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

They have charm for miles.

Wait, O'Brien's in this too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Whatever you’re into SNW has it

they got a twink, a hunk, a manic pixie dream nurse, a tough as nails femme fatale, #1 Mommy, Captain Daddy and a Vulcan swimsuit model