Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

:nice:
edit:

Issaries fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

six new maps.. and none of them 2CP...

we're entering a golden age

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Considering the change to 1 tank, adding two tanks this year and only one support feels very Funny

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Considering the change to 1 tank, adding two tanks this year and only one support feels very Funny

I think a little more diversification of the tanks is needed, but you're right that support needs it too

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like the charms and mythic skin stuff. They quickly mentioned that there's not gonna be loot boxes anymore but didn't really elaborate how the monetization is gonna work without those

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Macaluso posted:

I like the charms and mythic skin stuff. They quickly mentioned that there's not gonna be loot boxes anymore but didn't really elaborate how the monetization is gonna work without those

Battle Pass

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Boy I wish the Junker Queen had a different face than all the other women in the game.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I liked Junker Queen the first time when she was called Tank Girl

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Her cinematic and origin story short were kinda boring, but I like her design. Hopefully she's fun to play.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Junker Queen is cool. I like that there's a picture with her and Hammond

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Nooooo, my 48k Overwatch cooiiiiiins!

Hopefully they'll let us buy battle passes with them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They said there's "a store" as well.

Customizable Mythic-tier skins:
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1537485531482796033

Weapon emotes:
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1537485562000470018

Banners:
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1537485645420953600

Charms:
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1537485649946693632

This:
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1537499554576101376

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There better be pachimari charms and banners

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Countblanc posted:

There better be pachimari charms and banners

Sorry, they announced in the video that Pachimari turned out to be a huge racist, just a real shame.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You hate to see it

E: it was really funny in the interview where they were like "junker queen really hates omnics, and also junkrat/roadhog" and then just moved on after saying they made a racist hero

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Torb has some strong Opinions on omnics in some of his pre-match dialogue

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Next beta opt-in page is up btw https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/beta/

Countblanc posted:

E: it was really funny in the interview where they were like "junker queen really hates omnics, and also junkrat/roadhog" and then just moved on after saying they made a racist hero

Lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh interesting, you can secure beta access by buying some Watchpoint pack too

Weird that they didn't mention that at all during the reveal video lol.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Countblanc posted:

You hate to see it

Dr. Alan Grant, 1993: I hate computers
Overwatch audience 2022: This man is literally Benedict Cumberbatch in 12 Years a Slave

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think it's okay if a character is racist against sentient robots, a thing that doesn't exist in real life.

I think I would be racist against robots

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is it racist if the thing isn’t even the same species, let alone anywhere on the family tree of living, biological beings?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
humans are dating omnics in the setting so it's pretty clear Blizzard thinks of them as people. but again I said it was funny, because it is

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Yes, everyone is probably in love with robots following the great robot uprising.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Zarya hating omnics but nobody sticking up for her cause she's Russian sure is a mood

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

teagone posted:

Oh interesting, you can secure beta access by buying some Watchpoint pack too

Weird that they didn't mention that at all during the reveal video lol.

Watchpoint pack seem pretty expensive, even if it is packed with battle pass season 1 and two skins.

Even if they as good as this:

Issaries fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 16, 2022

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Countblanc posted:

And here I thought the big thing holding PvE up was somebody realized that the coded race war baggage they wrote into their newest flagship franchise was a pretty big mistake and they were desperately trying to rewrite it to aliens or whatever!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This is the best part of the Junker Queen:

https://twitter.com/volskatya/status/1537498659457228801

Hammond apparently just being part of the crew is great

Which I think is a retcon because I believe they originally said Hammond fought in the robot battles without revealing himself but I much prefer the above. Also it makes it kind of seem like he based his mohawk look off of her

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 16, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Has Hammond's junker skin always had the blue mohawk. Lol. That's so cute :3:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

teagone posted:

Has Hammond's junker skin always had the blue mohawk. Lol. That's so cute :3:

Overwatch 2: We regret to inform you that the hamster is racist

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe the queen and hammond only hate the evil omics? :ohdear:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

unfortunately i had 'speak out against omnic racism' on my bucket list for last week and they do not roll over.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

pre-match banter concluding in zenyatta being informed that he's a credit to his people

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
So the PvE mode has been stuck in dev hell for so long they are giving up all pretense of charging for it? Probably the only way to get me to try it honestly.

In principle I like that they're removing lootboxes, but seeing as basically all of my many skins came out of free lootboxes I am concerned that they're just not going to allow people to get skins unless they are regularly pumping money into battle passes and the shop. Very feasibly a downgrade for the average player.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Scoss posted:

So the PvE mode has been stuck in dev hell for so long they are giving up all pretense of charging for it? Probably the only way to get me to try it honestly.

In principle I like that they're removing lootboxes, but seeing as basically all of my many skins came out of free lootboxes I am concerned that they're just not going to allow people to get skins unless they are regularly pumping money into battle passes and the shop. Very feasibly a downgrade for the average player.

But, like, you don't have to pay for the game at all. That's the deal.

Edit: We still don't know what the "shop" is or how it works, either.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Wait, so the PvE segment of Overwatch 2, that was the original reason for launching it as a sequel and not just an expansion, won't be out until 2023? After OW2 launches? What?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Wheeee posted:

pre-match banter concluding in zenyatta being informed that he's a credit to his people

Orisa is one of the good ones

Father Wendigo posted:

And here I thought the big thing holding PvE up was somebody realized that the coded race war baggage they wrote into their newest flagship franchise was a pretty big mistake and they were desperately trying to rewrite it to aliens or whatever!

Lol that blizz would recognize terrible code

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Delaying the coop stuff is as good a sign that it might actually be interesting and well-developed as any news could have been.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

mutata posted:

Edit: We still don't know what the "shop" is or how it works, either.

It's fairly obvious they took a long hard look at Apex Legends and since they basically 1:1 cloned gun charms, weapon inspect animations and mythic skins (they are even called the same in Apex), I expect the store model being mirrored pretty similarly, which could mean up to $18 for a premium skin.
However, considering that they apparently cut out lootboxes completely as a means to obtain free cosmetics and are boasting about 30+ new skins per battle pass season, they will be more affordably priced, maybe somewhere between ... $6.99-12.99?

They'll probably dial that in over time and start higher.

Edit:
Breaking down what the Watchpoint pack is giving you for $40 and attaching an estimated value to its contents

- immediatey Beta access // $0 // whatever your perceiced value is, but you can sign up for free

- premium battle pass for season 1 // $10, if Apex pricing is any indication

- 2000 Overwatch bucks // no idea, but let's stick with what Apex established, 1 unit = 1 cent, so $20

- an exclusive Overwatch player icon // $0

- free Legendary Overwatch 1 edition // obsolete with the launch of OW2, except for 5 free legendary and epic skins each. Probably on sale quite often for $10

- 2 legendary skins // basically thrown in for free if you add up all the other items, so it's hard to gauge what value they're planning to attach to them

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 17, 2022

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

charms have been in cod (the other shooter act/blizz owns) long before apex was a thing. they are also called mythic skins in cod. maybe i didnt catch it, but i hope it's not like cod where you're forced to buy a bundle to get a skin you want

Think Less fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
you apparently need to opt-in again for the next beta. but hopefully activision isn't limiting it to those that purchase ow2.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/beta/