Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Randalor posted:

... Maybe our PC is the Heaven's End PC in the Hell's End timeline? That would explain the confusion in that last block of text. We have no idea why Śmiercią wants to kill us and blames us for her daughter's death because in the Heaven's End timeline, we didn't do anything.
I actually like this theory a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Randalor posted:

... Maybe our PC is the Heaven's End PC in the Hell's End timeline? That would explain the confusion in that last block of text. We have no idea why Śmiercią wants to kill us and blames us for her daughter's death because in the Heaven's End timeline, we didn't do anything.

The main issue with it is in the pronoun usage in snippets of text I quoted from early on. In our first encounter with Śmiercią, "You" did a horrible thing she'll never forgive you for that "I" didn't recognize about. It's suggesting that our main character knows what they did, as they're the one that uses "you". The confused one is likely to be Tyrant, which makes them innocent and confused.

Weird sentence to type out about the Tyrant given how, uh, "intense" they are.

Though as I think through the wording of that first exchange, I can think of one way in which both Tyrant and "you" could be Słońce without being contradictory. Our bio says we stood over our first kill and "you" didn't argue when Śmiercią said we were responsible for her daughter's death, and the second part of our bio says we fought the nightmare off while Kwiat ran. It doesn't make sense that Śmiercią would be the nightmare since it implies Kwiat was in danger from her mother, so what if "the nightmare" was present in both version?

In the "Kwiat lives" version, we fight and die to protect her. In the "Kwiat dies" version, we run away/fail to protect her but succeed at killing the nightmare after it kills her and that's what our "first kill" is. Śmiercią shows up, we tell her to kill us because we royally hosed up and lost the only thing we actually cared about, and she's pissed off enough that she does. Tyrant remembers how it actually went down and thinks that yeah, we didn't kill Kwiat because the nightmare did, but "you" doesn't say anything since they're holding onto survivor's guilt. Notably, neither Śmiercią nor we admit to killing Kwiat, only that we had responsibility for her death.

To further absolve us, maybe we told her about what her mother is like and positioned Kwiat against her, then she ran away and left us a note on where to find her. We panicked, tried to hunt her down before she died, and it ended badly for someone in every version of that scene. We had been setting the stage for her to get herself killed for a long time.

Pronouns are still weird, and it doesn't seem like we had gravity powers in our previous life so Tyrant is still weird. But maybe that just came with the corruption, nothing deeper to it. The change in pronoun could also be this version of our character fully snapping after Kwiat's death (Heaven End us talks about going "into the black" when referring to their dark impulses, so the foundation is probably there) and creating a Tyrant that's more self-assertive than we are. Which is contradicting the theory I said earlier, but that's what I get for thinking. :sigh:

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

...Are we sure Słońce isn't another version/End of one of our characters? I feel like our PC was still fighting the war at the time they got on the boat (they specifically note their sidearm is with them, and still has 5 bullets, which feels odd somehow for Słońce...they seem to have lived past the war's end)...and Tyrant seems to be linked to the Black Blade and our first Corruption, which our PC regards all of as new.

Notably, for the Śmiercią "conversation", it's specifically our PC character's body that seems to know what she's blaming us for, not their memories (which also seem seperate from the Tyrant, who's depicted seperately as "Something dark, something that's been paying attention")...

My gut feeling is that our main PC, their body (the original owner?), and the Tyrant are all actually seperate entities that were merged through a shared identity/commonality, and that seems to be singing? I don't know, but it feels like we still don't actually have enough clues to figure out who we are, yet.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Grond posted:

It seems like the version of immortality we got was imperfect, so our character could age, but not die. So an indeterminate number of years after that, Smiercia stopped visiting every birthday, Slonce stopped doing the show and at that point is when Smiercia, uh, got pregnant:

Point on this, to me it sounds less like our immortality is imperfect and we're aging, and more that we're taking absolutely terrible care of ourselves and in fact being incredibly abusive toward our immortal body, including doing things that under normal circumstances would be suicide methods, because we want to die. I suspect this + our growing resentment toward performing is why our regular speaking voice is so goddamn hosed up -- knife or noose severely damaged our vocal chords. My guess is our singing voice has a touch of Mythos or magic to it, which is why it still functions despite us loving up our throat.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Princey posted:

Point on this, to me it sounds less like our immortality is imperfect and we're aging, and more that we're taking absolutely terrible care of ourselves and in fact being incredibly abusive toward our immortal body, including doing things that under normal circumstances would be suicide methods, because we want to die. I suspect this + our growing resentment toward performing is why our regular speaking voice is so goddamn hosed up -- knife or noose severely damaged our vocal chords. My guess is our singing voice has a touch of Mythos or magic to it, which is why it still functions despite us loving up our throat.
Yeah I'll agree with this.

quote:

You weren't thinking you weren't THINKING you were almost dead in mind
This combined with the general state of the house they were in (rotting like it had been abandoned for decades) makes me think that Slonce had (after all else failed) achieved a state of mind where they just ceased to think entirely, and were roused from that state by the doorbell.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

Princey posted:

I won't disagree about us loving up our body beyond all recognition, but the thing about us being unable to speak clearly is listed as a demerit from the Black Crown in our character sheet, so whatever happened to our voice probably had to do with that, I'd assume. Which to me says that the issue here might have been brain damage instead of hosed up vocal chords. Looks like the Crown might have dislodged part of our brain when we got it...

And, well, I have no idea if it was intended or not but that actually seems to be a common pattern for people with aphasia: https://vcm.bc.ca/struggle-to-speak-but-can-sin/

The part of the brain that controls speech is different than the part of the brain that controls song, so if the brain damage is specific enough people can indeed sing while having trouble speaking normally otherwise.

Grond fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 13, 2022

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

...hsllssh. Hnnnsh?

What?

...!!

You sit bolt upright with gun pulled. You immediately recognize where you are- the apartment bedroom. But you're stuck in a traploop trying to figure out how you got here, and why. You- slow. Slow. Think it through. You were taking a shower? Then, you were taking a shower? Then you went out into a party. After that, you went out to a party. But then, you, you went out into the dark of night. Right? Then after that, you went out into the holy of night. Right. What in the world happened? There was rainbow, dark and smeared as the neons of blacklight. Golds and gems. Iron whites. Sunbright.

Now you're awake. You can smell something in the air. Food??! God, yes.

Trash Compactor posted:

Food? Food? Food? Food?

GOD, YES. You're jittery, but your body is completely relaxed; what a bizarre sensation. You jolt up to stand, popping joints while the mushrooms and silver rouse into groggy aware same as you. Very weird. The Dark is silent, and so you abandon the violent and just stride out with legs that don't quite want to cooperate. Dimlight filters into your vision darkbright. There's scarce light coming in through the windows. Which means it's...

Dawn.

THE TWENTY-FIFTH DAY
ANXIETY: [10%]
HP: [ 8 / 25 ]
FP: [ 15 / 15 ]

Wait... wait. Wait! Right! Last night, they thanked you for a job done twice with an apartment you don't have to rent even once!! Oh my God! You have an actual apartment with shower and bathroom and LOOK AT ALL THIS SPACE!

ANXIETY: [ - ]

Oh, you're so happy! You walk out into the quiet room and notice the guy on the couch anWHO THE HELL IS THAT PULL YOUR GUN

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

.............wait, wait. That's Shattyshot! Didn't someone say something about him crashing couches? Right. Right. Ok. That's fine. That's ok. You can handle that. It's just a sad drunk old clown. It's ok. Just let him.............

You yank a blanket off the bed and throw it over him.

ANXIETY: [10%] [Well, it was nice while it lasted.]

Wow! The buffet table has food on it still!! You scurry over and salivate. It's not great food, and is absolutely wish-produced, but that's the last thing your survival starving stomach gives a flipped poo poo about. Bowl of cold pizza! Stale sable lemon tarts! Local jadegreens! Peanut jam! EDIBLE DIRT. You do the thing any animal does when nobody is looking, and in gruesome silence you hunch over the table and just stuff garbage down your gullet until you feel sick with satisfaction. So hold up. Wait. You have food in you now.

Trash Compactor posted:

That means I throw some currency over to the Six-Pack and the Cranial so they can pretend they're good for something besides figuring out methods of inserting more matter into my almighty pit of darkness.

Right! You can think! Amazing. You wander into the tiny kitchen, and turn on the sink (CLEAN RUNNING WATER THAT ISN'T FROM A BROKEN WALL!!!), and drink enough water to feel sicker. One satisfied belch later and you're collapsed on the wish-linoleum floor. Hmmm. Think. You got something crinkled in your pocket. You tank it out and realize it's the letter Bloodshop gave you. Oh... why... why did you agree to help him? Oh for God's sake why did you DO that?

The Dark posted:

Another. Waste. Of time.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%] [Sick with obligates...]

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. WHY. Why did you do that. Dammit! Another delay, another thing to do just to keep up appearances! poo poo. Rrrgghhh... this is why you don't take pills from strangers. You end up helping them when there's no reason to do so. But you gotta. It builds further trust. You gotta try. So, you need to go to the beach. Right? Where, though? He said something about, uhhh, uh you go north until you see 'the mountain' and then you just walk the beach surrounding it. Ok. It can't be that much of a delay, right? Go see his girlfriend, hand her a letter, jaunt back to Paprika's. You stand up and wander out to admire your apartment some more, confident that at least you can come back here when things are too rough out in the Wilds. Thank God, an actual retreat this far out of the valley. You go to the other bathroom to check it out, grimacing when you find brightly colored clown vomit in the toilet. You flush and clean up, eager to get out and make the most of the day so you can get your ill-made promise over with. Huh. No key since it's unlocked, so... you just wander out and head down the hall, smiling at the plants and dead electric screens. The elevator dings pleasant and brings you down, which forces a pause when you get out. Wait... ah. Hell. You need to go all this long way every time you want to come here. But, that's fine. A safehouse is a safehouse. So you do the wind, down through the topways, down into the underground, down through the mallhalls, until you reach the subsubsub, and then slowly start to climb your way out of the tube. Weird; there's no ash in the tube like you expected from the tremendous downpour. There is something like the ash, but it's black and glitters colorfully, too fine to hold in your hands.

So you follow it out. Into a world anew.

Under gray skies, color is reborn. You startle a little at how different everything is, and wonder why such deadly weather somehow transformed the lands surround into something so alluring. While there was overgrowth before, it was plain, weak, Rivergreen with dull. But now- carpet, over everything. EVERYthing. Thick green mosses and jade grasses, flowers with 8-point petals glittering in yellows and blacks and pinks, overlife abundant with saturations so intense you need to blink to adjust to the shock. It's gorgeous! You wander around to admire the view, but then decide to get out of dodge before you start to remember what a 'current' is and why you're never going into the other two buildings ever again. So you head back out the way you came, finally, finally finally, at peace with the promise to help clean up the apartments. Now you just need to follow the new promise north. But uh, how exactly? You could swing it west first, or more east.

You stand around the entrance of the complex to think, only vaguely aware through the Silver Mind that something is going to go on, something is going to go wrong. But first,

Where are you going,

and what's going to stop you?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait, did we actually get paprika's pack?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Regallion posted:

Wait, did we actually get paprika's pack?

Yeah, that's coming in the sheet update tomorrow, I got some files I need to dredge out first.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for the Agents, the wolves rely on more than just sight and are fast, so it'll be hard to avoid a fight if we need to. The Congregation were Bleeder's followers, right? I'm not sure how they would react to us.

And besides, we owe the Agents for ruining our picture.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Congregation. We made this mess, let's come face-to-face with it. :unsmigghh:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
You mean face-to-disfigured flesh blob?

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Hey, if we end up facing the Congregation we could maybe blend in. We're"blessed" by his parasite too.

Though I voted agents. They're more straightforward, and I'm still upset they put us in a box.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I mainly just want a chance to redeem ourselves and get back on the track of scaring the poo poo out of Deimos every time we see him.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - A Lovely Day At The Beach Episode

To where?
Let's head northeast to hit the beach - 18
Let's head northwest to hit the beach - 16

To war.
Capital Muscle - 15
Nature Deformed - 6
WONDERFUL! - 21

...LOADING

[Something fell off where it got stuck to Paprika's Blue's blue backpack sack... it was a Salty Token!]

Sheet updated. Good luck.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Okay, we seem to have... an empty slot typed as "re" and an unsealed moloch buster in our equipment? That seems completely correct and is n ot questionable at all.

Also why is some of our equipment dark? I know we are wearing the suit so it's neither the equipped/unequipped nor carried/uncarried distinction. Can't be the "Default" distinction either as Kurzewony wasn't a starter item.

Comparing the maps - stuff is extremely renamed. From the previous map:

Ogre encampment - orgretown
The mural - Paprika's mural
Colourloss- failed art
[unlisted, north-north-east edge of map] - shorewalk
[unlisted, center of the lake] - "-0"
Cultpartments - Commune (still glowing reddishly)
Arcade hole - unseen arcade
[unlisted, south of lake] - Triangle island
[unlisted, west of lake] - Advert
Fortress of apples - MC&D hellhole
[unlisted, far southeast] - Atomic cabin
Spring - Last spring
[unlisted, far southwest] - Intersect backpath
[unlisted, far south] - Insect temple

Also the big red zone is now blue. I have multiple questions as to what are all those changes about.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 16, 2022

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Some relationships changed too. Bleeder's has been wiped out, seems reasonable but might be weird if dead people aren't supposed to show up in the chart at all. Merkja is now "Tolerant" of us, which is nice. Also, were we always "Allied" with Burner? I thought we were just "Friendly" with her and Dancer. Might have been an increase (for her and Sunburner's Cult which I think was "Tolerant" and is now "Friendly") thanks to the Fire Joker resolution.

What, uh, does it mean to be "Allied" with one of the Lords? I don't think Śmiercią will be very happy...

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

Regallion posted:

Okay, we seem to have... an empty slot typed as "re" and an unsealed moloch buster in our equipment? That seems completely correct and is n ot questionable at all.

Also why is some of our equipment dark? I know we are wearing the suit so it's neither the equipped/unequipped nor carried/uncarried distinction. Can't be the "Default" distinction either as Kurzewony wasn't a starter item.

Comparing the maps - stuff is extremely renamed. From the previous map:

Ogre encampment - orgretown
The mural - Paprika's mural
Colourloss- failed art
[unlisted, north-north-east edge of map] - shorewalk
[unlisted, center of the lake] - "-0"
Cultpartments - Commune (still glowing reddishly)
Arcade hole - unseen arcade
[unlisted, south of lake] - Triangle island
[unlisted, west of lake] - Advert
Fortress of apples - MC&D hellhole
[unlisted, far southeast] - Atomic cabin
Spring - Last spring
[unlisted, far southwest] - Intersect backpath
[unlisted, far south] - Insect temple

Also the big red zone is now blue. I have multiple questions as to what are all those changes about.

Those are Holy End colors. "Our" Rivergreen is much darker:

Seems like the containment breach didn't happen in the Holy End, it looks like the containment site is still controlled by MC&D instead of having been taken over by apples. And Bleeder is still around over there in a sense so it looks like the rainforest concordance didn't expand.

We're going to the Mountain beach, that's Doubler's turf. Sounds reassuring.

Grond fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 16, 2022

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pretty sure we have stuff unequipped due to the relic cap. Also due to the dead sword being cursed.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh no i just checked the quests.
[Complete] Kill Bleeder, the Seventh Lord.

[Active] Paprika

Go ҉

[Active] Quest for Ogre King Basanater, and discover what became of the Fire Legion sent by the Emperor to the dark south.

Not only do we not have the note quest but also, uh. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OneWingedDevil posted:

Some relationships changed too. Bleeder's has been wiped out, seems reasonable but might be weird if dead people aren't supposed to show up in the chart at all. Merkja is now "Tolerant" of us, which is nice. Also, were we always "Allied" with Burner? I thought we were just "Friendly" with her and Dancer. Might have been an increase (for her and Sunburner's Cult which I think was "Tolerant" and is now "Friendly") thanks to the Fire Joker resolution.

What, uh, does it mean to be "Allied" with one of the Lords? I don't think Śmiercią will be very happy...

I noticed that too. Who knows, maybe that's why the Moloch Buster we're carrying became unsealed? And who gives a flying gently caress what Smiercia thinks, what is she going to do? Kill us?

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
I think Allied is just the next step in positive relations. It went Tolerant -> Friendly -> Allied -> Love IIRC.

Also, umm. I might be going insane here but doesn't it look like the shadow over the Commune in the Holy End map has the exact same shape as the Ticket to Paradise?

What the heck is up with that. I think it was stated earlier that the ticket to paradise had the same shape as the Island right? Is this shape something to look out for or am I going nuts?

Grond fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 16, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think it's just a dark red circle centered over the northern apartment (you can see the square of the apartment) that doesn't properly cover landmass, just water.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
No, yeah, I don't mean the red circle. I mean the shadow around it. I can't draw for poo poo but I mean this:

Am I the only one noticing that in the Holy End Rivergreen map?

Grond fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 16, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ooooh I see what you mean. Yeah, it does, though you could say that they're "Living in Paradise's shadow" or that their territory is a shadow of what Paradise was. Or it's going to turn out the apartments are what's left of Paradise in Hell's End.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Yeah, possibly. Quite literally living under the shadow of the island, I like that. Hell maybe that's our Herald trait kicking in, it'd make sense that if we were close to the Holy End when we were in the Cultpartments, the Holy End version was also closer to the Dark End, right? Maybe that was why that zone got literally darker. I've been thinking the Herald trait represents us bringing the two timelines together, which is obviously good for us... and bad for the colonists.

Welp, nothing is certain so the fact remains that I have no idea what that shadow or that red circle could possibly mean (I guess the red circle might have something to do with the fact we ate Bleeder's soul?) so I guess I'll just chalk it up to an Easter Egg or something.

That or I'm going off the deep end reading way too much into random stuff, which I don't think is particularly unlikely at this point either :v:

Grond fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 17, 2022

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Grond posted:

Yeah, possibly. Quite literally living under the shadow of the island, I like that.

Welp, the fact remains that I have no idea what that shadow or that red circle could possibly mean (I guess the red circle might have something to do with the fact we ate Bleeder's soul?) so I guess I'll just chalk it up to an Easter Egg or something.

That or I'm going off the deep end reading way too much into random stuff, which I don't think is particularly unlikely at this point either :v:

Or Paradise is in fact just above the apartments, in the heaven end.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Grond posted:

I think Allied is just the next step in positive relations. It went Tolerant -> Friendly -> Allied -> Love IIRC.

I know Allied is just another one of the friendship ranks, I'm asking more in practical terms because of who we are. Our current allies are the pretty cool Duke Sauber and the Cats of Ulthar for example, and we get along with them amazingly. So will we see Burner, have her welcome us, shoot the breeze, swap stories etc. and then the disquiet kicks in and we realize we have have to kill her for real?

Our character isn't well-adapted to being friends with someone even in favorable circumstances, much less when we have a mission to kill one of them!

Randalor posted:

I noticed that too. Who knows, maybe that's why the Moloch Buster we're carrying became unsealed? And who gives a flying gently caress what Smiercia thinks, what is she going to do? Kill us?

I'd guess the Moloch Buster became unsealed because Fire Joker brought the other one back to Burner. Burner unlocked that caseand claimed her weapon, and through the magic of glitchiness it unlocked the Moloch Buster since it's kinda sorta the same one.

So... Suitify when?

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Suitify is back at base, so we can't wear the Buster until we head back, I think.

-e

Lol if suitifying the Moloch Buster also turns Burner's copy of it into a suit. That'll be fun to explain.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 17, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OneWingedDevil posted:

I'd guess the Moloch Buster became unsealed because Fire Joker brought the other one back to Burner. Burner unlocked that caseand claimed her weapon, and through the magic of glitchiness it unlocked the Moloch Buster since it's kinda sorta the same one.

So... Suitify when?

We have two Moloch Busters in our inventory, one with us in our Gn slot along with the revolver, and a second one sealed at the hideout. Or at least we did when I checked this morning. Unless the case only opens when Burner is coming for her gun...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Moloch Buster in the Gun list IS the one that’s sealed in the case listed under the Hideout stash. That just shows its stats for quick reference and whether or not it’s equipped. So right now you have one sealed Moloch Buster.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Alright, good to know we don't need to worry about suitifying it for a while longer.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You need to head somewhere north, so you'll swing out east where you were last familiar with to orient. You wander aimlessly around the apartment perimeter while doing inventory through your bag, admiring the transformed lands. You've got Paprika's stuff... got the letter from Bloodshop in her pack for doublesafe keeping... you adjust the shield on your back and the sword loop on your belt before you're satisfied with sweeping Red's shroud over you in totality. The wraith rides under eaves of evergreen that seem much too healthy and bright for this world. You notice something even stranger when you find the hidden longwalk that Bloodshop pointed out to you from the roof- there's a weird coloration to the waters emanating from the apartment's wishtech supply, a gemlike shimmer of tourmaline. You scurry across the bridge, so strong now that you don't even need to worry about the struggle of the currents. You get to the other side, deadset on east, realizing that the strange overabundance of black ash beauty is now gone; it fades about a mile out. It smelled gentle and fierce among that green, its clean faded. The first river sends you looking for the next crossing a little south. It smells odd, mixtures of the lands before you, the place you're in, and the ones beyond. You're back walking east until the second river, looping north to find the next narrow crossing. It reeks of ogre... or wolf? Then one more walk to the east. Too many smells! Waters and rots, oceans and humours. You gag and press on to the final of the walk, to find the shallows and beach narrows of th-

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%] [What Was That?]

You hear something. Wha? Is it very far away? But then you couldn't possibly hear it over the roar of the Rivergreen. It's high pitched. An insect? Too glassy clean. Too familiar.

(PE - Wait...) 13 [6]+[6]+[1] = 13 - Success.

Wait! Something on your face! You stand back swatting, and feel the silklight string go taut when you hit it. The noise again. But you can't reflect any defined thoughts to follow. You keep weaving and ducking with blinking eyes, struggling to find a clean space and the orientation of the string. You finally do, and peer as hard as you can to catch the smallest light across a redclear string. Huh. You pluck it, and watch as it vibrates with the eerie high-pitch noise. It's gone through the trees, vanished through the leaves to an unknown source. You move on further, trying to track it through the trees, only to run into another cluster of the strings. You swat at them when they brush you, provoking the keening sound at greater volume. What the hell? You're getting a bad feeling.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

You avoid the fresh strings, one hand on your blade in anticipation. You don't want to cut them though, not without knowing what they are. The further in you move, no matter the direction, the denser the strings become. Each touch shivers them wet, and somewhere something reacts, its sound running back down the sensitive string. The sky storms over dark without giving up the rain while a strong wind rushes down in from the far west. Something isn't right, and you're stuck with advancing further northeast to find where you can climb down into the shallow shores. The air is starting to shimmer ruby from the sheer number of little red clearstrings! What are you supposed to do? You've fallen to stepping over and under the mess of them, your body sore and smudged red wet from rubbing over the shrieking strings. The sweat stings your eyes by the time you finally climb up the last rocky rise, now forced to press against entire masses of the strings just to move forward a few feet at a time. You see why at last, nestled among redsick mosses in a rocky shallow of tainted pools.

Meat. Meat. Crying shivering screaming meat. Attached to countless nerve strings, wrapped tight over a mile of rough rocks, cold water, scraping bark, slicing leaf, nibbling insect. Unable to stop growing, unable to stop feeling, unable to stop living. It crawled here crying lost and got stuck, and now it can't stop growing nerves searching for the way back in a state of agony that will never end. Every touch sends it into a squiggling thrash of wet nerve slither, flicking little bits of red wet into the strung air. You'd consider your options, weight whether or not you should harm this thing and how, but sheer panic and the keening cry of the jiggling nerveslime has you shook with horror relived, remembering the evils of the meatsick lands of murdered murdered Bleeder. You slice. Slice. Slice. Slice. Strings undone by the hundreds. Screaming keening glass-wailing nerves pitch high enough to harm your ears. But every string is cut, and you run wild to leave it to its fate, the earsplit ring fading fast once you're down the hill and further into the waters. Ow! God. Ow. Your strength alone is what made that possible, slicing so many strings. You watch them slither and drift in the wind, now draped redclear over the landscape. You gotta keep going. The land is changing for sure, opening into greater pools and wide expanses of dense woods fed by the waters, with treeline reveal of some expanse promised not far beyond. You sploosh down into a clean pool, leading deep through a cleft between a househigh stone. The dark passage is pleasing, though your tension is still wound tight: once again the Dark proves right, because on the other side of the pass is a long hill down with trees and steep waters. Something you want to take your time with. But you can't, because you look to your right and there are long long long long long red legs the muscle is all wrong and wrought badly and meaty meaty meat meat red is not alive it's not dead it's sTANDING THERE GET BACK INTO THE PASSAGE

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

THE HELL. WHAT IS THAT?! You calm down with belly clenched and gun out aimed down, shaking violent as you strain mad to hear over the water. It's... it's not moving. How tall is it?! The legs, they were so long. It was right there, standing right there at the top of the incline! Can it see up there? What's up there? You mustn't look. It'll know. You need to somehow get down the long hill without it seeing or hearing you. You have to. You're trapped inside the loving cooled darkness of the waterstone passage, tensed to killing with the knowledge something tall and meat is waiting right there to harm you. You relax and inhale. How can something so awful red exist among all this sullen graygreen? You can't think about it! Focus! Walk like you're just garbage flowing down the steep little stream. Walk. Slip and slide unthinking.

(PSI Clouding ɑ) 13 [4]+[2]+[6] = 12 - Success.

Don't think. Don't think. Don't think. Walk outside with the motion careful slipslide. Don't look. Just leap down the first rock and oh God oh poo poo you need to focus on tricking this you need to really move fast and dangerous you-

(DX - Plant Parkour) 11 [4]+[4]+[3] = 11 - Success.

Thank God thank God thank God just slip, just slide, just grab onto that branch and duck down that rocky wet shelf and then dunk into that quiet pool and then enter the bushes don't look. Don't look. Just inhale the weirdly nerve-stunk air and don't think as you reach the bottom and find another small enclosure of darkness. Just inhale and wait where treeroots of the pebbly Rivergreenery house you under a rockwater enclosure. Just wait it out. Don't think. Don't look. Just listen. You're far down but the legs were long, long, long, long. So you wait in the after of dawn, warm with Red's wrap in the cooling waters. You wait patient, but nothing ever comes to hurt you. You know there's cover between here and where you were, but will the long meat legs know? You have to risk it and head out at last into the shallows to see it. So you go headlong out into the dim light of the cloudy bright, the wind howling through the waterswept trees. You're wading out into it without looking back, sword armed ready and shroud pulled tight. Don't think. Keep wading through the cool shallows, pebbly stones shifting underneath. It's so clean here... still. You're wandering in a haze, mind in a daze, afterglow of the terraform pill and the cooldown from the shock managing to catch up to your tense tense.

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]

So it takes you by surprise, when you see it. Standing swordwraith in the shallows. A dead rat drifts by in the water, and you barely notice it for the monstrous majesty now risen before you. How could you not see it before? Did the angles hide it that well? Does it only allow you to look when it's ready to crash down upon you? Higher than any other peak. Risen crown above all. Heavy with quiet, the sheer crushing silence of the waters and stone! Even with the red meat still searching for you, how can you not stand and stare? Take it all in. Understand immensity. In awe of it...

OST: The Mountain

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

...Oh. Hello, Moulder!

I'm guessing that we want out of here right now, huh.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh hey is this the famous "Exposed nerve endings" prank? My friend loved that one!

Also i wonder what's up with the untitled marked note in the south-east, on the water.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 18, 2022

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
...man that shape is really popping up a lot huh. Maybe this was the Island or something? I mean it'd make sense considering the beaches and the oil and Doubler's power. But then I'd have to ask myself how did it flood and why is it now a mountain surrounded by land.

There's also the fact that Doubler and Moulder live here and they were specifically stated to have been born from the Island. And it doesn't look like either of the two can move all that much, so yeah. It would make sense if this territory is what the Island was before it stopped existing, especially if we still find oil in the waters.

Also I'm just going to leave this up here for no particular reason at all:

Black August posted:

A dead rat drifts by in the water, and you barely notice it for the monstrous majesty now risen before you.

Black August posted:

code:
DOUBLER [Base Killing Form]
ST: AAA               WE: N/A
DX: A+                AR: N/A
IQ: F                 RE: N/A
HT: C
WL: F
PE: C                 Known Drops: Rat Tail, Mutant Meat, Random Relic

Black August posted:

DOUBLER BASICS
[Best Classes: Armsmaster (Sword); Bard; Beastlord (Rat); Berserker; Elementalist (Lightning)]
* Stay out of the Mountain waters.
* Time your running and hiding when hanging around Beach Bae.
* Be prepared for the rare wild nest encounter.
-
* Damage is key. Kill fast, kill big, kill hard.
* Every second that passes means it gets worse.
* Running is always an option, unless they grow faster than you.
* If fought in the waters, scream for Beach Bae and pray.
* Nests will always have something good.
* They're weak to criticals despite dealing them all the time.
* Thunder deals extra damage. Ice works.
* Mass ranged attacks and gobs of HP are the only reliable help.
-
* Doubler grinding WILL catch up quickly.
* Each beach nest must be destroyed for a full victory.
* Has an obnoxious array of special interactions with all '+-/x by 2' operations.

Maybe it's a good idea to get out of the water as quickly as possible, yeah. I don't believe attempting a fight in this place without the Moloch Buster is a good idea.

Grond fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 18, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We can hope that Doubler and Moulder either haven't noticed us or aren't in "fight" mode yet. And... so were the meat legs Beach Bae, or something else?

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i mean, who knows what those were. seems more Congregation-y unless bloodshop's into some weird poo poo

embrace-the-horrors-of-capitalism solution to the Congregation: now that MCD has an experimental cheeseburger magic spirit animal, they need a lot of meat / meaty spiritual essence, right? and we have Bleeder's soul which thus confers ownership rights to the Congregation, obviously, right?

can always sign a licensing agreement for them to.... cut the fat, as it were

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That's MC&D you're talking about. I'm pretty sure if they thought it worked that way, they would just try to rip out Bleeder's soul and SCP us. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
For the record I'd just like to say I heartily welcome our new Congreburger corporate overlords.