Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I buy boosters and boxes even though it isn't efficient because I enjoy it and it's fun and I do it with friends. I like that, it's fun and nice. Will keep doing it.

Also I got Gluntch and the Noble Heritage background. Gonna make a grouphug deck lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If I were to tri-color group slug from red/black, what would be the ideal third color and what are some good group slug commanders?

Red/black has access to tutors but suffers from a poor draw engine and ramp-- play-card-pass-turn which makes it difficult to buffer before and after becoming archenemy. Mogis doesn't really need to be a commander since he's an indestructible enchantment and playing him on curve means you'll die before you can combo out with stuff like Furnace / Wound Reflection and Hidetsugu / Havoc Festival or Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood

- Blue would add counters and stuff like Bribery / Treachery / Propaganda
- Green would add better ramp and some interactive creatures
- White would add more board wipes and Ghostly Prison

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Extus, Oriq Overlord lets you add white and a mass sac outlet/edict in the command zone

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Extus is probably my favorite deck I own because it was 100% my own brew and winning with it at cEDH tables made me feel like Perfect Cell

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

Knot My President! posted:

If I were to tri-color group slug from red/black, what would be the ideal third color and what are some good group slug commanders?

Red/black has access to tutors but suffers from a poor draw engine and ramp-- play-card-pass-turn which makes it difficult to buffer before and after becoming archenemy. Mogis doesn't really need to be a commander since he's an indestructible enchantment and playing him on curve means you'll die before you can combo out with stuff like Furnace / Wound Reflection and Hidetsugu / Havoc Festival or Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood

Good old Nekusar means you can run Phyrexian Tyranny and other stuff like Spiteful Visions, Underworld Dreams/Fate Unraveler, everyone's favorite little buddy Nightscape Familiar, as many wheel effects as you can manage, and you can use stuff like Prosperity and Forced Fruition to finish them with. You can get them on the discard side of things as well, with Liliana's Caress and Megrim.

Since Nekusar deals damage rather than causing life loss, you can use Corrupted Conscience, Glistening Oil, Phyresis, or Grafted Exoskeleton to just end it. Along the way I also like Ankh of Mishra and Zo-Zu the Punisher to combat excessive ramp.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Vial-Smasher + Sakashima makes for good Group Slug.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Did my Ziatora deck, I know I'm missing a bunch of cards but I went with what I had. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/wrAz64MbfkC-xaD1X6JWWw

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Alesha, Who Smiles At Death

That's brilliant, I'm gonna try it. Edit: One day.

Edit Edit: I'm interested in Artisan Commander cause I like lower power level.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 13, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played my first ever Commander draft yesterday, was super fun. I made a blue/white token generating deck with Ellyn that had a sneaky commander damage sub-theme that popped off my second game, but I ended up top-decking against a black/red treasure deck that beat me by drawing a lightning bolt before I could draw something :cry:

There are some surprisingly good commanders and cards in CL2, I'm honestly gonna build Ellyn out into a full deck I think. She just tryna give me muffins, who would want to kill me??

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

both extus and nekusar look great, thanks guys :) gonna mock up some archidekts when I get the time and see if I can make something interesting that doesn’t make my play group hate me haha

my arcades deck seems hella slow still but maybe I just wasn’t lucky the last few games I dunno. I run five board wipes, four counters, 4 fetch tutors (eledrami’s call, congregation at dawn, muddle the mixture, and drift of phantasms), 34 lands and 8 ramp pieces and in four games I drew a single counterspell from the list of those (non-land) things above and got mana screwed one game :negative: and last time I played I drew 30 cards and drew two of 31 creatures in my deck after thoroughly shuffling and I can’t help but be salty tbh

I feel there’s a tough balance between keeping arcades alive and having enough pieces to draw for aggro/pressure. In 1:1 it’s super strong even against my friend that runs a lot of creature hate in his decks but as soon as more people are added it gets harder unless I can somehow get boots out and I dunno how to tackle this :confused:

Here’s the current deck:
https://archidekt.com/decks/2804408#Arcades_1.3

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

New Shuffle Up & Play Episode with One More Mana Crew! Jank Commander!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpRdVZYSyd4

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

both extus and nekusar look great, thanks guys :) gonna mock up some archidekts when I get the time and see if I can make something interesting that doesn’t make my play group hate me haha

my arcades deck seems hella slow still but maybe I just wasn’t lucky the last few games I dunno. I run five board wipes, four counters, 4 fetch tutors (eledrami’s call, congregation at dawn, muddle the mixture, and drift of phantasms), 34 lands and 8 ramp pieces and in four games I drew a single counterspell from the list of those (non-land) things above and got mana screwed one game :negative: and last time I played I drew 30 cards and drew two of 31 creatures in my deck after thoroughly shuffling and I can’t help but be salty tbh

I feel there’s a tough balance between keeping arcades alive and having enough pieces to draw for aggro/pressure. In 1:1 it’s super strong even against my friend that runs a lot of creature hate in his decks but as soon as more people are added it gets harder unless I can somehow get boots out and I dunno how to tackle this :confused:

Here’s the current deck:
https://archidekt.com/decks/2804408#Arcades_1.3

What's up fellow Arcades builder! I'm only like 50% of the way through my deck, but yours has a lot of stuff I'm def going to contemplate, so thanks! I've put in a handful of cards that are specifically meant to prevent Arcades from dying, like some shield counter stuff, maybe that'd help?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you can't find pieces to protect your commander in Bant colors, then I dunno what to tell you

Heroic Intervention, Tamiyo's Safekeeping, Boots/Greaves, any of the white auras that give indestructible, etc

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Circle of Protections.......... :sickos:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

What's up fellow Arcades builder! I'm only like 50% of the way through my deck, but yours has a lot of stuff I'm def going to contemplate, so thanks! I've put in a handful of cards that are specifically meant to prevent Arcades from dying, like some shield counter stuff, maybe that'd help?

:hfive:

Shield counters?

Silhouette posted:

If you can't find pieces to protect your commander in Bant colors, then I dunno what to tell you

Heroic Intervention, Tamiyo's Safekeeping, Boots/Greaves, any of the white auras that give indestructible, etc

I'm running greaves, boots, robe of stars, angelic shield, eerie interlude, and my counterspells. The challenge is with three other people that run path/swords/toxic deluge, the odds don't always work in your favor. It's hard to cut cards that don't eat into other advantages too. I guess Asceticism fits the bill though?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

:hfive:

Shield counters?

I'm running greaves, boots, robe of stars, angelic shield, eerie interlude, and my counterspells. The challenge is with three other people that run path/swords/toxic deluge, the odds don't always work in your favor. It's hard to cut cards that don't eat into other advantages too. I guess Asceticism fits the bill though?

In what playgroup is Arcades Sabbath the threat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

In what playgroup is Arcades Sabbath the threat.

Maybe it's the not completely useless Arcades the Strategist?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I mean... That's not much more threatening.

But if the deck's main plan is to beat down with walls, and an opponent chooses to remove the ability to attack with walls it kind of turns the entire deck off I guess.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

1:1 the deck has enough steam to keep Arcades alive and swing for big numbers against my friends’ decks (Atraxa, some exsanguinate thing, vampire tribal, etc), I think it’s just the nature of removal redundancies that will taper off the power of any deck reliant on a commander

My friend made an Anhelo deck that’s fun as gently caress to watch Do Things™ but it is really brittle as well. But when it goes off and he gets like nine turns and 39 zombies it’s hilarious and everyone loves playing against it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Stranglehold should cost {1}{R}.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

Stranglehold should cost {1}{R}.

{R}{R} and I'm sold.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

{R}{R} and I'm sold.

Deal

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I kind of want to try a Tazri deck now that there's some more party support.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Man what is the point of pre-ordering off Amazon all the precons like two weeks before release and then everything gets loving delayed?

Due to one being out of stock no less, I would have thought the order itself would have just been prepared day it was ordered and shipped on release date.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe it's the not completely useless Arcades the Strategist?

Lol

I always thought a wall deck would be neat so I'm gonna build a pretty basic one to hopefully try and teach my partner how to play, then I wanna make a sneaky sub-theme in it somehow to make it interesting, I've been enjoying that a lot recently. :ninja:

Got a few new ideas for decks after snagging the Baldur's Gate precons, there's an interesting gate related commander that I could probably try some jank with. Ward: 9 life :shittypop:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Stranglehold should cost {R}.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dockside & Imp Seal getting reprinted in Double Masters 2

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Bust Rodd posted:

Dockside & Imp Seal getting reprinted in Double Masters 2

Thank gently caress for the Imp Seal.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My hesitance to pick one up until now has paid off.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Cavern of Souls is getting a reprint as well.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Framboise posted:

My hesitance to pick one up until now has paid off.

:hmmyes:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Spoilers for Dbl Masters 2

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/double-masters-2022-spoilers-june-16-imperial-seal-dockside-mana-vault

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 16, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So are going to find out at some point in development this was Commander Masters, like the first was Artifact Masters?

Vvv I know, but it's hard to think of another reason for Atlas Palani, Mizzix and the Commander Walkers to be in a chase set. Unless they're burning up another eternal format I don't know of.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 16, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That would mean the assumption that CL2 was kneecapped on purpose in order to shift those reprints over to the Masters set to have people pay twice as much for chase cards is true, I highly doubt WOTC would openly admit that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This set loving rules but it sucks that most of these SHOULD have been reprints in the much less expensive CL2.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

some cards i made for my and my friends' edh decks arrived today

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Add "That spell's controller creates a 0/1 artifact creature token called Egg" to Danny's DeVito

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Those are amazing.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This is good content.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Danny's DeVeto is my favorite by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant