Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

"Discretion is the better part of valor" is pretty common among big predators (and non-predators). Just because you can gently caress something up doesn't mean it's worth the time/effort/danger to gently caress it up.

see: big hawks getting chased away by a little angry mockingbird

i watch a lot of hawk vs. crow fights and i dont think it's about "discretion". i think one of the main reasons the hawks dont seem to fight back so much is because they can't. crows are substantially more maneuverable in the air and do all kinds of crazy poo poo that seems borderline impossible, whereas hawks are good at soaring and diving and not a lot else. while not as playful as crows, most other small birds are also a lot more maneuverable than hawks.

if a hawk wanted to take out a crow or smaller bird in the air they'd have to plan some kind of "boom and zoom" type attack from a higher altitude and catch them by surprise. but the ones i've been watching, at least, are unaware of this maneuver.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hawks and other raptors are basically brain stems with a vision processing system attached, so they don't really do a lot of thinking.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My impression has always been that hawks and the like are excellent hunters because they stick to an effective strategy that their entire biology has evolved to facilitate, but they don't accomplish much outside of that, whereas crows and the other types of birds you see in human areas are more scavengers and opportunists, which favors maneuverability and intelligence, as well as social cooperation.

Kinda like a sniper versus an urban combat soldier. Pit a hawk against a crow in a wide open environment and it'll drop out of the sky and finish the crow before it knows what hit it, but in a more convined space the crow will have the advantage. A single sniper can take out a squad of regular soldier in an open field, but a bunch of solitary snipers would have trouble against a small group of coordinated soldiers equiped for urban warfare in an urban environment.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Taeke posted:

Pit a hawk against a crow in a wide open environment and it'll drop out of the sky and finish the crow before it knows what hit it

i really doubt it. crows have very good situational awareness and a hawks dive fast but not that fast. small animals on the ground cant get away in time but for crows its no problem

also crows are rarely ever alone, which adds to the difficulty for hawks. ive seen them force hawks to fall like 10-20 feet by mobbing them. and a crow can recover from a free fall a lot more easily than a hawk

i live right in front of a thermal that hawks use to hunt and crows use to, well, gently caress around and do aerobatic tricks it seems like, so i see these conflicts daily when im home. its highly entertaining

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 16, 2022

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Yeah, a hawk would have to be starving or stupid to go after a crow when there are sparrows and robins (North American robins, Turdus turdus) just hanging around like dumb, comparatively sluggish little snacks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yeah, a hawk would have to be starving or stupid to go after a crow when there are sparrows and robins (North American robins, Turdus turdus) just hanging around like dumb, comparatively sluggish little snacks.

Whoever decided on the Latin name really hated robins, didn't he?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Bears are living the good life, eating salmon and berries and poo poo, with nobody in the forest big or scary enough to gently caress with them. Why risk loving that up? No upside, best case they get to eat some different meat, worst case they get injured or killed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I did once look up an ornithologist's take on crow-vs-hawk and other small-bird-vs-hawk fights, out of curiosity. It was just one source, and I can't find it now, but it was an "ask an ornithologist" type article. Anyway this person said that the crows are trying to discourage the hawk from hanging around their turf and it's not worth it to the hawk to fight back. They seemed to think that a motivated hawk would definitely win the fight and said "I've never seen another bird try to mess with a hawk who was nesting, for example," implying that's a time when the hawk would gently caress up anyone who got too close.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Does a smaller steak cook faster than a larger one if the thickness is the same? I assume it would, but not in a direct ratio? Like, an 8x4x1 steak wouldn’t take twice as long as a 4x4x1.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alnilam posted:

I did once look up an ornithologist's take on crow-vs-hawk and other small-bird-vs-hawk fights, out of curiosity. It was just one source, and I can't find it now, but it was an "ask an ornithologist" type article. Anyway this person said that the crows are trying to discourage the hawk from hanging around their turf and it's not worth it to the hawk to fight back. They seemed to think that a motivated hawk would definitely win the fight and said "I've never seen another bird try to mess with a hawk who was nesting, for example," implying that's a time when the hawk would gently caress up anyone who got too close.

A lot of what determines who goes after who in nature is "is it worth the risk of injury" rather than "can I definitely kill it or not".

Being injured in the wild essentially means death, even if you win the fight, because it'll either get infected and kill you or slow you down enough that you can't feed yourself anymore. A starving hawk with no other option would probably risk it, but a well-fed one with plenty of choices just would go for the easier prey.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

For some reason hawks like to nest in the woods behind my house. The juveniles will occasionally pick fights with crows and it never seems to go well for them. Mostly because other crows will jump in but the hawks never seem to back each other up.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

The Pirate Captain posted:

Does a smaller steak cook faster than a larger one if the thickness is the same? I assume it would, but not in a direct ratio? Like, an 8x4x1 steak wouldn’t take twice as long as a 4x4x1.

Assuming a rectangular steak, and that it's being grilled with the lid open, then the surface area for heating is 32 + sf*(2*8*1 + 2*4*1) for the large steak and 16 + sf*(4*4*1) for the smaller steak, or 32+24sf vs 16+16sf (sf is the side factor for the average difference between the side heat and the bottom heat).

Because the steaks are the same material and thickness, we can hand-wave the heat transfer equations as working the same for both the steaks (they don't quite because of the side heating, but that's much more effort than I want to think about - intuition says that it's a compounding effect because the the sides are further away).

The cooking time is thus roughly proportional to the ratio of the volumes and heat per second, so simplifying, the ratio of cook times is something around (16+16sf)/(16+12sf), so taking sf ~ 1 you get that the large rectangular steak will take about 12% longer to cook than the same steak cut into two square pieces.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Why are black bears such scaredy cats?

What are they afraid of? Other bears? Puma? Wolves? Elk? Humans?

They are scared of losing an advantageous ambush position.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

thepopmonster posted:

Assuming a rectangular steak, and that it's being grilled with the lid open, then the surface area for heating is 32 + sf*(2*8*1 + 2*4*1) for the large steak and 16 + sf*(4*4*1) for the smaller steak, or 32+24sf vs 16+16sf (sf is the side factor for the average difference between the side heat and the bottom heat).

Because the steaks are the same material and thickness, we can hand-wave the heat transfer equations as working the same for both the steaks (they don't quite because of the side heating, but that's much more effort than I want to think about - intuition says that it's a compounding effect because the the sides are further away).

The cooking time is thus roughly proportional to the ratio of the volumes and heat per second, so simplifying, the ratio of cook times is something around (16+16sf)/(16+12sf), so taking sf ~ 1 you get that the large rectangular steak will take about 12% longer to cook than the same steak cut into two square pieces.

This is great and makes perfect sense. Thank you for this!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Tipping questions, US (Boston area in specific) rules apply:

1) If I go to a restaurant whose menu says something along the lines of “We add a 20% service charge, which is split among the kitchen staff and the servers, but you are also welcome to tip your server,” do I just give the server another 5%, unless they really went out of their way and inspired me to give more?

2) I went to a garden store and a child (like, a high school student) carried a 40-pound bag of topsoil across the parking lot for me because I am an arthritic old lady (I did not request this service, and in fact can carry 40 pounds easily, if that matters). Should I have tipped him? I’m not quite used to having children look at my white hair and do things for me yet.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

2) I went to a garden store and a child (like, a high school student) carried a 40-pound bag of topsoil across the parking lot for me because I am an arthritic old lady (I did not request this service, and in fact can carry 40 pounds easily, if that matters). Should I have tipped him? I’m not quite used to having children look at my white hair and do things for me yet.

If it was a corporate sort of store, like a Lowes or Walmart, they would fire him if he got caught taking tips. They probably also underpay him, though, so attempting to tip a worker at such a store places them in a bad position. They probably want and would appreciate the money, but they also probably want and need their job. If you're going to do it, then don't be weird about it and make a big show of trying to offer him the money, slip it to him as quickly and as subtly as possible. But unless you're going to offer a fairly substantial amount, just don't bother.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If there's an automatic gratuity added, there's zero expectation of an additional tip. I'd even say you probably shouldn't.

For the garden centre, yeah if it's a big box store it might put the kid in an awkward spot.

Edit: will say that when I was a young dude working at home depot, carrying heavy stuff to cars for people was unironically one of the better parts of the job. Get some fresh air, people are usually grateful, feels good physically, etc.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 17, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Freckles, when the ants were thought of

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If it takes 26 minutes per 500g to cook a rolled lamb loin, that means if I had one weighing 1 kg I'd cook it for 52 minutes, right? But what if I had two, weighting 500g each, that I wanted to cook at the same time, in the same oven?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Just slip the worker some cash and don't make a big show out of it. a $10 tip pays for a nice 6-pack and getting those tips (even if they weren't technically allowed) was super nice when I worked at Lowes

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tiggum posted:

If it takes 26 minutes per 500g to cook a rolled lamb loin, that means if I had one weighing 1 kg I'd cook it for 52 minutes, right? But what if I had two, weighting 500g each, that I wanted to cook at the same time, in the same oven?
Assuming they're separated, 26 minutes or so. You need the middle to get to whatever temperature. Just like boiling ten eggs takes as long as two, but an ostrich egg would take a lot longer.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Does boiling ten eggs take as long as two? I've never done more than about four at once but I always found they needed a little longer than doing them in the more usual amount of two.

E: I assume once the water in the pan is boiling, it's all the same, but the amount of time required for the pan to reach boiling will be different.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The eggs will bring down the temperature so it also depends on the amount of heat you're pumping into the pot. A small burner on simmer will obviously take longer to bring the pot back to a boil than a large burner on Hi.

Once it's back at a boil, bring the heat down to as low as you can while maintaining a full boil (I mean, you can just leave it on Hi but that will waste gas / electricity and money).

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Tiggum posted:

In general for meat the time should not double when you just double the weight.
Since you do not increase all the dimensions by a factor of 2.
On some meat packages, I often see things like "60mins for the first 1kg, then 30 mins more for each additional kg".

If in doubt, ask the butcher you buy it from.

See pageup for the steak discussion for a general pointer.

If you have two pieces, it will depend on how much space you have between them: if they are just stuck together, the time from having one big one won't change. If they have enough space between them, the time should be similar to a single one, maybe a tiny bit longer for the absolute amount of heat needed. (i.e. this is not "one weird trick")

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In the song The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA, how does moving the "bojangle" clock further from the bed allow them an extra minute?

As I see it, there are two possibilities:
  1. it's an alarm clock, in which case moving it away from the bed is counterproductive. Moving the alarm clock away from the bed is a common strategy for ensuring that one gets out of bed promptly as it becomes impossible to press the snooze button.
  2. it's not an alarm clock, in which case moving it does nothing

I first heard this song more than thirty years ago, and I have been asking myself this question ever since. How do you get an extra minute in bed by moving your clock further away?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

In the song The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA, how does moving the "bojangle" clock further from the bed allow them an extra minute?

As I see it, there are two possibilities:
  1. it's an alarm clock, in which case moving it away from the bed is counterproductive. Moving the alarm clock away from the bed is a common strategy for ensuring that one gets out of bed promptly as it becomes impossible to press the snooze button.
  2. it's not an alarm clock, in which case moving it does nothing

I first heard this song more than thirty years ago, and I have been asking myself this question ever since. How do you get an extra minute in bed by moving your clock further away?

If the clock is moving away from the bed at a substantial fraction of light speed, to the observer on the bed it will appear to be moving slower

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
how can i tell if something is "Saint" "St" or "St." ? i see these spelled this way in multiple places and wikipedia nerds are usually pretty good at following standards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Basil%27s_Cathedral
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mark%27s_Basilica
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_St._Helens

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

butt dickus posted:

how can i tell if something is "Saint" "St" or "St." ? i see these spelled this way in multiple places and wikipedia nerds are usually pretty good at following standards
Pretty sure it's just up to whoever named it - or whoever keeps the records.

Although I think it's more likely to be "St." rather than "St" in America more than anywhere else because Americans seem to be sticklers for the dot in abbreviations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

butt dickus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Basil%27s_Cathedral
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mark%27s_Basilica
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_St._Helens

British English sometimes leaves out the full stop. American English never does, and Wikipedia follows the conventions of whichever dialect is local to the article.

If the place is in a non-Anglophone country, it’s up to the whims of whoever writes the article first.

As for whether it should be abbreviated at all, that’s more fodder for edit wars.

Wikipedia’s policy is formally elaborated here and is in essence “use whatever everyone else calls it”.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
The LAMDA/AI thing is fascinating, partly because I have no idea how they're trying to create a sentient, intelligent AI. Seems like any output would be the result of what was coded, but I know nothing about coding either lol. Can anyone shed any light on this? What are the obstacles that they're trying to overcome?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Google is trying to build a search engine that can answer questions in natural language. They have no interest in creating a sentient AI.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The dude making the claims is basing it on his religious beliefs (he's a priest of some cult) and not anything scientific. I read the whole leaked document and the claims of sentience are nonsense.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

socketwrencher posted:

The LAMDA/AI thing is fascinating, partly because I have no idea how they're trying to create a sentient, intelligent AI. Seems like any output would be the result of what was coded, but I know nothing about coding either lol. Can anyone shed any light on this? What are the obstacles that they're trying to overcome?

This is more of a philosophical question about the nature of sentience. A computer only does what it's coded to do, and we only do what our brain circuits and chemicals tell us to do. My opinion on the matter is that it seems egotistical to only consider those programs designed to emulate human language as approaching sentience. If a text generator is sentient, then so too should be a finance spreadsheet, or a Warcraft server.

In tech world, people use whatever words will get the most investor bucks, or the most article clicks. You get a lot of talk about artificial brains and AI and other sci fi things. This kinda muddies the water as to the public understanding of what machine learning systems do and how they do it.

Generally, machine learning progress is about finding new ways to optimize the input and parameters of a neural network, making better training data, and most importantly, throwing exponentially increasing computational resources at it.

To dispel one popular myth: These neural networks do not learn from your input. There was a training phase, but that is done now. The network is released and is static. It's just a file with a bunch of numbers in it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

To dispel one popular myth: These neural networks do not learn from your input. There was a training phase, but that is done now. The network is released and is static. It's just a file with a bunch of numbers in it.

Yeah I think Microsoft learned that you don't unleash an ai bot on the world in learning mode.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I think Microsoft learned that you don't unleash an ai bot on the world in learning mode.

are you referring to the bot that someone trained on 4chan and it became some kind of nazi? i didnt realize that was microsoft lol

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Earwicker posted:

are you referring to the bot that someone trained on 4chan and it became some kind of nazi? i didnt realize that was microsoft lol
I think in that particular case it was Twitter, but this is definitely an area where history repeats.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For that chat bot, I don't think they ever really announced how the technology worked, but "it learned from the people it was talking to" was iirc mostly that kind of media fluff. It seemed to be a combination of the initial training data having a bunch of racism (it was collected from Twitter after all) and also it had the ability to repeat messages when asked to.

My guess is they filtered the training data for slurs and then assumed that meant that it was free of racism, because that's how tech people think.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Thanks all for the feedback, it helps fill in a lot of blanks.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I put all my monthly spending, like groceries and gas, on my credit card. Up until last December, I've been able to pay off my card completely every month, but I bought a house and now with inflation I'm overspending slightly and carry a small balance of a couple hundred dollars month to month while still paying down 90% or so of my spending every two weeks on payday. I noticed on my credit card statements that I haven't been charged any interest despite carrying that small balance over each month. Not complaining, but I'm not sure why I'm not getting interest/finance charges. Can someone financially smarter than me explain why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Hard to say without seeing the statement, but it sounds possible you're not really carrying the balance forward, but rather making new purchases. You don't have to be at zero to not owe anything.

If you buy $500 of stuff from Jan 1-31, get a statement on Feb 3 that you need to pay by Feb 20, and in fact make $500 of payments by then but also charge a new $300, you won't owe any interest. Especially if you're making payments every payday it seems likely that's what is happening.