Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zil posted:

Hell as a human Necro you are kill on sight in some areas of Freeport. drat that roaming dwarf.

Surprisingly, this is mostly just Innoruuk. Bertoxx necros from Qeynos are dubious even to the good cleric guilds! Everyone loves Bertoxxulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm a Beastlord and I'm occasionally followed by the freebie healer merc from the slave revolt newbie zone. I don't always revive her right away.

Until about level 50, the tank merc is a loving beast that will kick the rear end of any mob around your level.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oooh, that teleport thing makes a lot more sense. I wish EQ had leaned into the faction thing, it sounds interesting.

Question for the thread: I'm about level 10 and want to quest / look for lore / cool places to explore. I'll happily do intro quests, and I was thinking of going to the cat moon to see what my origin city would be like. But where else should I check out? I do not care about loot or levels outside of what I need to do to get buff enough to not get killed by skeletons and die randomly in the desert.

Newbie quests are pretty lovely, because by the time EQ had anything approaching a good quest system, the level cap was up to 65 or 70, from the base 50. There's a bunch of standard kill/collect/talk quests to get newbie armor that were back filled at some point. The cooler quests started in the 50-60 range with class epics, with at least one big quest line coming in each expansion. I'm not familiar enough with beastlords or vah shir to remember if there's any progressive quest that grows with you from newbie levels. Basically, don't expect anything too great out of the quests for a while.

Lore and cool places to explore? gently caress yeah, there's tons of that. Go check out the kitty moon, it's got a bunch of weird as gently caress zones filled with poo poo that will kill you faster than that skeleton. The cities are all pretty well done with lots of flavor, and that whole expansion is full of EQ's janky charm.

You should download Goodurdn's map pack. The official maps are very limited in the number of zones covered, so you need player made maps for all the later expansions. (The devs don't even have in-house maps, they use hand drawn ones for new zones until Good release his maps in beta.) Inside the map window, there's a zone guide that lets you search and filter through zones to look for places to level. I would say to stick with classic zones for the OG feel, but half of those zones have been revamped (like Freeport), so you wouldn't be getting the true OG janky experience. Kunark, Velious, and Luclin are mostly original, though.

Soulbinders (available on Find, ctrl-f) will change your bind (respawn) point. They're available in city zones, if you're planning on staying in an area, get bound nearby.

The most important thing to remember is that EverQuest hates you, and wants to kill you over and over again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

EQ hates you a lot less than it used to.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

jetz0r posted:

Until about level 50, the tank merc is a loving beast that will kick the rear end of any mob around your level.

Newbie quests are pretty lovely, because by the time EQ had anything approaching a good quest system, the level cap was up to 65 or 70, from the base 50. There's a bunch of standard kill/collect/talk quests to get newbie armor that were back filled at some point. The cooler quests started in the 50-60 range with class epics, with at least one big quest line coming in each expansion. I'm not familiar enough with beastlords or vah shir to remember if there's any progressive quest that grows with you from newbie levels. Basically, don't expect anything too great out of the quests for a while.

Lore and cool places to explore? gently caress yeah, there's tons of that. Go check out the kitty moon, it's got a bunch of weird as gently caress zones filled with poo poo that will kill you faster than that skeleton. The cities are all pretty well done with lots of flavor, and that whole expansion is full of EQ's janky charm.

You should download Goodurdn's map pack. The official maps are very limited in the number of zones covered, so you need player made maps for all the later expansions. (The devs don't even have in-house maps, they use hand drawn ones for new zones until Good release his maps in beta.) Inside the map window, there's a zone guide that lets you search and filter through zones to look for places to level. I would say to stick with classic zones for the OG feel, but half of those zones have been revamped (like Freeport), so you wouldn't be getting the true OG janky experience. Kunark, Velious, and Luclin are mostly original, though.

Soulbinders (available on Find, ctrl-f) will change your bind (respawn) point. They're available in city zones, if you're planning on staying in an area, get bound nearby.

The most important thing to remember is that EverQuest hates you, and wants to kill you over and over again.

Oh this is a GOOD post, informative and useful! Thank you!

For what it's worth, while I'm a bit sad they revamped some of the OG areas for the worse (apparently) I'm definitely not hardcore enough to play P1999. I'm playing mmo tourism, bouncing between this, Runescape, and EQ2 as I explore, watch How It's Made, and relax. For some e/n stuff: I've had an awful migraine/jaw pain for the last 2-3 weeks that I've been seeing my doc and dentist over, so I had to shelve Mass Effect 2 and Cyberpunk for easier things on the brain, and well, here I am. I'm having a good time. My brain loves to devour entire genres at once - what's the best, what's the worst - so I become a jack of trades for any given thing - and so far mmo tourism is treating me well. (Helps that I've sworn not to spend money until I've played the game reliably for a few weeks, and I only buy one month at a time if I do, so I don't cultivate the kind of addiction that led me to ultra-burnout on ffxiv. I want to see the plot of Shadowbringers, but even touching the game just makes me tired.)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If you really wanna do MMO tourism, EQ has the Heroic characters where you can just load up a level 80 character preloaded with gear + spells + enough AA to make walking thru the first 5 years of EQ content a breeze.. not sure which class would be best for it, maybe druid just cuz you can port + sow yourself and do a little bit of everything? I don't think you can do it for free tho.. maybe just on the test server.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Indecisive posted:

If you really wanna do MMO tourism, EQ has the Heroic characters where you can just load up a level 80 character preloaded with gear + spells + enough AA to make walking thru the first 5 years of EQ content a breeze.. not sure which class would be best for it, maybe druid just cuz you can port + sow yourself and do a little bit of everything? I don't think you can do it for free tho.. maybe just on the test server.

Playing the game is part of the tourism! Even if it means hitting things with a dagger over and over for hours :v:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Indecisive posted:

tbh test server is probably the best option for tourism even if you don't boost a character because i'm pretty sure you can use the good mercenaries on a free account on test

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I would need a big hourly salary to go play some 20 year old rear end MMO that i never played before and start from zero tbh... if this game didnt have the nostalgia hook in me i dont know how the gently caress you could play it. the only positive thing i can say is at least it only takes hours to earn a level now, instead of days. (just kidding, if you're soloing later levels will absolutely take days)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my guild acquired a new player awhile back (like a year ago, I haven't played in months) and when I asked him why the gently caress he was playing this trash he told me his parents asked him to give it a try

just hangin' out with mom and dads internet friends on a saturday night punching wolfs or whatever

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Indecisive posted:

I would need a big hourly salary to go play some 20 year old rear end MMO that i never played before and start from zero tbh... if this game didnt have the nostalgia hook in me i dont know how the gently caress you could play it. the only positive thing i can say is at least it only takes hours to earn a level now, instead of days. (just kidding, if you're soloing later levels will absolutely take days)

This is why Selo's was such a good server and I hope they do it again.
At no point did I feel like leveling or AAs were slow.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:catdrugs:

Indecisive posted:

If it helps any, it took me about 7 hours to fully complete the Gloomingdeep area and... I enjoyed myself. It was actually the correct kind of tedium for helping me enjoy watching stuff in my other monitor. And being able to easily hop in and out was great too - I could spend 15 minutes playing, or an hour, and if my dog arrives and demands a walk, I don't feel like I need to panic because I can't stop playing for whatever reason. It's surprisingly chill.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arrived at the Estate of Unrest after killing a bunch of snakes, walks into the zone, two level 83 tormented dead see me and oneshot me. :allears:

Okay, EQ1. Message received. I'll go elsewhere.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

StrixNebulosa posted:

Arrived at the Estate of Unrest after killing a bunch of snakes, walks into the zone, two level 83 tormented dead see me and oneshot me. :allears:

Okay, EQ1. Message received. I'll go elsewhere.

oh gently caress i forgot about hardcore heritage, you're gonna want to check /calendar before going to unrest, lower guk, nagafen's lair, sebilis and probably a few other zones because those get temporarily buffed once a year for a few weeks

here's the list of danger zones:
https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Hardcore_Heritage

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Happening to run into one of the like seven zones that has the really-uncommon-but-temporary level 80-whatever events because they're THE Classic zones is probably the most-EQ thing. That rules.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh this is a GOOD post, informative and useful! Thank you!

For what it's worth, while I'm a bit sad they revamped some of the OG areas for the worse (apparently) I'm definitely not hardcore enough to play P1999. I'm playing mmo tourism, bouncing between this, Runescape, and EQ2 as I explore, watch How It's Made, and relax. For some e/n stuff: I've had an awful migraine/jaw pain for the last 2-3 weeks that I've been seeing my doc and dentist over, so I had to shelve Mass Effect 2 and Cyberpunk for easier things on the brain, and well, here I am. I'm having a good time. My brain loves to devour entire genres at once - what's the best, what's the worst - so I become a jack of trades for any given thing - and so far mmo tourism is treating me well. (Helps that I've sworn not to spend money until I've played the game reliably for a few weeks, and I only buy one month at a time if I do, so I don't cultivate the kind of addiction that led me to ultra-burnout on ffxiv. I want to see the plot of Shadowbringers, but even touching the game just makes me tired.)

There's no reason to pay for EQ if you just want to tool around and see new poo poo. Paid accounts are for playing on Time Locked Progression servers, or to use the good gear and Alt Advancement points at high levels on normal servers. You can casually derp around for months on a free account without missing anything. Maybe around level 90 you might want to sub for a month to get all your AAs autogranted for free, but worry about that later. Test server is also an option, characters there are mostly treated as being on paid accounts, and tons of gear has been copied over there from live.

The zone list by blatman is good. Unrest and Kedge Keep (lol, mean) are both on Faywder, one of the original 3 continents. It's mostly original zones, with the only revamped zone on that continent being Steamfont Mountains. Which is pretty much the same, except bigger. That's how most of the zone revamps went, same basic layout and landmarks, but better textures, more polygons, and everything is 50-100% bigger, with the doors and hallways enlarged enough that one ogre can't block them. (This was a huge problem, one afk character could block zone lines.) Freeport is the only offensively bad revamp, the rest range from forgettable to good.

Some general EQ sites for reference:
https://everquest.allakhazam.com/ oldest EQ site around, good for older expansions and general info
https://eqresource.com/ site for the more modern expansions, and item searches
https://www.raspersrealm.com/Everquest/ for those middle expansions
https://www.raidloot.com/items item and technical spell data

StrixNebulosa posted:

:perfect:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Having fun on Vaniki just raiding like 3 nights a week. We took down Grieg then got trained by an opposing guild while taking out Servitor. We wiped but got the loot.

Went through about 10 tanks fighting Lhranc gently caress that guy hits hard. SK got his epic

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i swear my kedge recommendation was for how unique the zone is, you're not gonna find one like it in any other game

edit: any other mmo, at least

blatman fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 10, 2022

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

blatman posted:

i swear my kedge recommendation was for how unique the zone is, you're not gonna find one like it in any other game

edit: any other mmo, at least

There's a reason for that...

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

kedge is really cool but I never really learned why it was there or the history of it, other than 'phinigel lives there'. it''s not laid out like an above-ground castle that got sunk so it must have been an undersea place from the start right

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Indecisive posted:

kedge is really cool but I never really learned why it was there or the history of it, other than 'phinigel lives there'. it''s not laid out like an above-ground castle that got sunk so it must have been an undersea place from the start right

I think Phinigel is supposed to be the last of the Kedge, a race of aquatic beings created by Prexus. and then they mysteriously disappear for <reasons>! and Phinigel is a big jerk wizard that chills in their last fortress.

here's some lore: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/kedge

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
It's been forever, how do you start smithing?

All the guides on any subject seem to assume familiarity

Like is it still solo til 4 and then go to orc hill?

Verbose fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 10, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Verbose posted:

It's been forever, how do you start smithing?

All the guides on any subject seem to assume familiarity

Like is it still solo til 4 and then go to orc hill?

You hold on to the rusty weapons you’re finding. Buy sharpening stones to turn them into tarnished. This gets skill to low 20’s. Break the tarnished weapons down into ore which you then into scalers. This gets you somewhere around 30-40 at which point you make lanterns. That goes to the 50’s then you make banded gorgets and start trying to make banded pieces. If you can sell some banded it starts to pay for itself. Later plat gets easier and you can get to ~150 for a couple of hundred plat, but it’s hard to throw that much away starting out.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Yiggy posted:

You hold on to the rusty weapons you’re finding. Buy sharpening stones to turn them into tarnished. This gets skill to low 20’s. Break the tarnished weapons down into ore which you then into scalers. This gets you somewhere around 30-40 at which point you make lanterns. That goes to the 50’s then you make banded gorgets and start trying to make banded pieces. If you can sell some banded it starts to pay for itself. Later plat gets easier and you can get to ~150 for a couple of hundred plat, but it’s hard to throw that much away starting out.

There's no place to buy any of this stuff in Felwithe :(

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Verbose posted:

Try Bedida Claygrinder in Northern Felwithe? At least for the sharpening stones.

https://eq.magelo.com/npc/24795

For banded mail, I recall making that in Kelethin way back in the 2000's.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Verbose posted:

There is in North Felwithe: https://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_item.php?item=2016&menustr=035000000000

Use eqtraders.com. It's the ultimate resource for tradeskilling in Everquest. Just search for an item you want to make, it'll tell you what skill it trivials at, what ingredients you need, and where you can get each ingredient.

One of the best guides for leveling up any tradeskill is https://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/fo...t-update-6-2020 , but this will only work on live servers, not TLP.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
On Vaniki the accomplishment reward for killing CT is really quite good. Clicky to summon permanent food with a 10 sec recast. The food has 10AC 50HP 40Mana 60End and is tradeable and a miraculous meal.

I'll be using this for a very long time !

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I need to find a group to do that raid with before the opportunity expires. Is anyone other than Bind Rush completing it?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I’m pretty sure both chill mode and Deja vu have also done it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Yeah that reward looks really tasty. I started on yelinak tho and really don’t want to add any more lower level grinding to my to do list. PoR put a knife in the heart of my old aradune guild and the new one I found everyone is sort of biding their time until TSS and grinding a lot on yelinak so that’s where I’ve been.

That 10 AC food reward is so dank though. Someone was giving away a bunch in guild lobby and I have a few stacks ferreted away. May just count on them being abundantly given away.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

I’m pretty sure both chill mode and Deja vu have also done it.

Yep we've done it in Deja Vu a couple of times so far.

I'm looking forward to the level cap going up next week and taking on some Kunark raid mobs.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007
Did I read these patch notes right? /Autoskill is just in the game starting at level 1 now?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yuuup

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wut? Seriously?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

That’s basically the only noteworthy thing in the patch afaik. They also made the vaniki food/drink summon rewards nodrop, so even more reasons to make the small community feel like the achievements are bullshit. Honestly not sure what I’m going to do with mine. Save for the next TLP I guess?

Still enjoying my time there, going to be stacked in gear but it’s a super weird ghost town outside of doing content within guild groups. We will be the only guild doing VT it is looking like, ssra commander spawns are extremely poo poo, we’ve been farming it nonstop all week so far and still just barely have half the comm1 drops we need.

Also damnit somebody sell me a chardok metal pipe. My own enc/clr/mage team are in the 30s. Don’t make me faction myself to chardok to finish my epic.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 15, 2022

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

big thing for TLPs (well mischief/TB) is that the 2.0 orbs are going to be more plentiful as they'll drop off the anguish minis and some other things now.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Time for my semi-regular attempt to make fewer bad IRL decisions by hitting up a TLP, everyone get excited!

I normally grind too hard, re-discover how little there is to do in Classic, then quit again before any of the fun stuff. This time, I waited until Classic is almost over, so I can re-discover how little there is to do in Kunark instead before I quit. It'd be ideal if I could pick up some raid gear and snootily show it off in PoK to feel better about my life

Is there a TLP goon community still, or did we successfully scare everyone off forever?

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 16, 2022

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Completed my epic on Vaniki last night - really quite enjoying it !

The server has really changed my opinion on whats possible with melees - A squishy level 40 tanking level 52 mobs etc. So not an encounter where the changes to charm/resists etc help.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Melees own

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

If you can fully slow it, you can tank it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Game Aspie
Dec 29, 2011

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 9 years!)

I remember playing EQ, fun times. <Triton> was the best MMORPG guild I was ever in, and I used to spend way too much time in MMORPG's. I think I still have a manastone on P99 green lying around somewhere at least. Regrettably, I lost access to both of my live accounts many years ago. Those 20,000 + hours spent raiding, farming loot, gearing up alts, all gone. Oh well, our guild achieved more gamewide firsts than any other guild in EQ so at least there's that :jeb:

Here is an ancient picture of when some of us broke into the Plane of Mischief before the zone was even finished and accessible to the public. This is the EQ I know and love, the modern game is a wretched and abhorrent abomination that looks and plays nothing like this. I don't think we'll ever get another game like this ever again.