Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

You haven't heard the British talk about Travellers then.

... how many different European countries does your family live in?

the Irish are just as god awful about Travellers, it’s disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Yeah I’m just talking trash lol. but becoming a trans and living in a super poor house while your parents siblings do well, idk, definitely no family solidarity showing there

but that’s the based thing about being an adult. you just make your own family

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I still don’t understand why it’s not more common knowledge just how collaborative Finland was with the third reich in their efforts to keep the Soviets away

It's kinda like Swedes and that whole eugenics thing they had.

To be fair, that's the whites, and Finland has a lot of work done every goddamn year to keep the whites from regaining full control. Keep 'em busy in the swamps negotiating coalition agreements.

... because they absolutely would start with their poo poo again. It's a lot more "defund the poor" recently, there's words they don't allow each other to say. Joining NATO may be a blessing in disguise though, they can't use that to campaign anymore.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the best side dish is collard greens

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Captain Foo posted:

the best side dish is collard greens

it's actually revenge, served cold

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

also absolutely no Mayo based pasta salad. pesto or vinaigrette with seasoning only

redeemed

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
to me, pasta salad means vinaigrette or similar, where mac salad means mayo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

the midwest is a godforsaken land where russian dressing or mayo based vinaigrette sauces reign supreme

i remember when i first moved here a friend's mom made taco salad, which meant, to me, a salad with nacho chips, peppers, and seasoned ground beef, and to them meant some kind of chipotle mayo slurry poured over everything mentioned earlier, which made the chips soggy

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

steph curry is going to win the stanley cup

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this is the first time im supporting him because iirc the celtics say their name wrong and also didnt let black people play on their team until recently

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this is the first time im supporting him because iirc the celtics say their name wrong and also didnt let black people play on their team until recently

he's also a really cool guy who was underrated for forever until gsw became an overnight Invincible Force, all because he was better at shooting 3 pointers than NBA charts could actually capture at the time. he literally broke the sport a couple years in a row lol. but always humble and just a chill rear end dude. i like him a lot idk.

and yeah the celtics have huge problems, have historically won a Ton through bullshit, and dont know how to say their name. worse, their fanbase is in Boston.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wasnt steph curry somehow related to some kind of lunacy either in religion or politics or something? or was that his wife?

i dont remember

based on what you said tho, that's rad as gently caress

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i havent heard much about that but am happy to read about it. the only trhing i know about his religion is that he talks about it kept him going through injuries and he funds a huge charity with his wife. but again that's all i know

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

why does it feel like the refs have money on this game rn

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

why does it feel like the refs have money on this game rn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Donaghy

if you would like some fun light reading that only the players who talked about were punished for

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the Boston racists lost :toot:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

go dubs

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Lady Radia posted:

steph curry is going to win the stanley cup

:unsmith:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is the stanley cup

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jimmyjams posted:

what is the stanley cup

sporpsball

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

just had a face to face encounter with a skunk out my front door as I was taking my dog out. I noticed one branch of the shrub was swaying but there was no breeze and then I noticed that the top of the branch was white and the bottom was black and it was also moving towards us. and then I saw it’s face as I was walking backwards towards the door

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

just had a face to face encounter with a skunk out my front door as I was taking my dog out. I noticed one branch of the shrub was swaying but there was no breeze and then I noticed that the top of the branch was white and the bottom was black and it was also moving towards us. and then I saw it’s face as I was walking backwards towards the door

Shoulda shown it your posts to scare it off.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Shoulda shown it your posts to scare it off.

skunks don’t have great vision and also can’t read, otherwise I would have

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

yeah. if its pasta & mayo, it's mac salad, and if that pasta isn't macaroni then its just weird mac salad.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

cjs: so i learned the basics of a new language in the past 4-6 days, debugged it in a real weird kubernetes environment, got it working, did a live demo of it for some customers, they think it's cool as hell and now i'm gonna put it on their staging app and let them play with it

Holy poo poo I Finally Made Something after like, poo poo, idk, not doing any creative dev stuff professionally. i feel really good about things rn

korean?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

endlessmonotony posted:

"what kind of a person expects everything to be half-assed just so you don't have to learn anything new?".

*raises paw*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

didnt let black people play on their team until recently

?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

one of the response headers of this particular page on my website has the value of 🍆

turns out emojis as header contents are rfc compliant

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

apparently I have a misconception

https://www.espn.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Celtics-071219

at least I wasn’t the only one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve only heard of and or used lua in the context of WOW lol

i've sen luajit pop up in networking stuff before. not that the language is better suited to that than many others, or that it is particularly suited for jit'ing, but the guy who wrote the jit (mike pall) is apparently a genius and it is way faster than it has any right to be.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

furry simpson posted:

*raises paw*

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

up really early today. dang this is nice i miss getting a little time with the dark.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol cool my provisional license arrived

now i can buy alcohol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
congrats to the celtics on eating shut. pure boston

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

massive reorg. most other departments are pretty much going to remain as they are but because ours was so weird we’re going to be splintered. all the architects above me are definitely going to the group that i want to be in while all of the engineers below me are definitely going to the group i dont want to be in. i’m in a limbo that could go in either direction depending on how the horse trading upstairs goes

at least there’s no layoffs so that’s good

talked with the bossman. they still have a month to figure out who's going where and he has some influence on the process which means i also have influence on where i land. i'm mostly writing this out just to get myself to think about my options here but i'm also open to any input people may have here.

as far as i can tell there's 4/5 different 'pillars' i could wind up going to. my immediate reaction is there's one in particular that i want to go to and one that i 100% DO NOT want to go to. these two are the most likely places for me to wind up. the other two/three are less likely and would represent a junction in my career where i truly leave computer touching behind me.

architecture pillar : this is the easy choice for me. this is the pillar responsible for tech r&d and essentially would be a continuation of my current role. the catch here is that according to the slide the CTO shared this is reserved for architects & the highest tier engineers, which i'm just one level shy of so i technically don't qualify. if i do somehow manage to make it in here i'd essentially have nothing but open sky above me in terms of career ladder which is always a good thing, i'd be continuing the role i was brought in to do which is essentially to gently caress around and find out with emerging technologies. low stress, self managed, high visibility and impact, etc. there's basically nothing to not like about this. the problem is to get in either i have to be promoted or my boss / boss's boss (who will be the director of this team) has to horse-trade me in. my boss has said that there's going to be A LOT of incoming title changes to make this whole transition work so who knows

software engineering : I DO NOT WANT TO LAND HERE. this will be the pillar responsible for production support, building new commercial products and features, devops, release management, etc. if i land here i'll be at the top of the ladder rather than the bottom. so i'd be anchored in the engineering pillar and any promotion will require me justifying not just a title change but also moving to an entirely different pillar which would also mean whoever my manager winds up being letting me go. tight deadlines, pager duty, shitloads of meetings to discuss the drudgery of every tiny requirement in detail, etc. basically everything that i was trying to get away from when i took this job in the first place. with no input/influence from my boss this currently seems to be my most likely landing place. i'm making it very clear to him that I DO NOT WANT TO LAND HERE. gently caress.

qa : easily the most important function but also most underappreciated. normally this would be an easy no for me but interestingly the cto has placed himself as the director of this department which to me signals that he understands not only how important it is to get this pillar right but you also have to be completely unafraid to make enemies. if you want a job done right do it yourself and all that. in one of my consulting gigs i worked with a director who also understood this and assigned me to the 'colossal rear end in a top hat' role to overhaul their v&v process. it was really nasty and involved lots of raised voices, angry emails, rebellions, etc but because i had a backbone and the support of the director the entire department was effectively transformed after about a year of struggle. i'm not gonna lie having the chance to do it again is tempting and seeing that our cto understands the importance of getting this in particular right makes me want to take a swing at it.

po / pm : way less likely to land in either of these as i've never formally been in either of these roles but have done plenty of the work for this in my previous consulting life and on various projects here. if i pushed for either of these it would be a true fork in my career and i'd be leaving computer touching completely behind. i'm not sure if i'm ready for that but it's an interesting prospect. my boss could probably finangle me into one of these roles if i really pushed for it but i'm just not sure if i want to

thank you for reading oh also can i get some extra ketchup packets?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

bully your boss into getting you the title for the architect group. get some extra scratch and be where you want to be.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah i'm like 90% on the architecture group but still interested in maybe entertaining the other possibilities

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sounds like you have an interesting decision coming up. sounds like if possible you want to get your resume circulating though, so you can minimize the time you spend in software engineering if they put you there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'd be leaving computer touching completely behind.

what’s the downside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

product management is a pretty decent job imo. do that.