Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

pressing ctrl+p is apparently an unreasonable amount of effort

Doing it for every single post in a thread is, yes.

That is the thing you're not actually acknowledging. "Asking people to spoil things" is not a problem. "Asking people to spoil everything" is because at that point you might as well just give up posting in this thread because you're going to encounter minor spoilers no matter what you do.

Mordiceius posted:

I think that this is completely fair.

I do think that threads like this that are about media that has a major focus on story need to have a more consistent spoiler policy and that would do a whole loving lot to stamp out these stupid arguments.

There are no spoiler "rules" for this thread so you get this stupid petty arguments where people who post "spoilers" are considered assholes and people who don't want spoilers are seen as crybabies.

If you were to post the names of the EW trial bosses right when 6.0 dropped, you'd probably get everyone jumping on you for posting spoilers, but when is it okay to post it not under spoiler tags? 6.1? 7.0?

I don't think people should be screamed at for talking about Stormblood story beats untagged in this thread in 2022. But when does it become okay to do that?

I mean the easy answer is "Be polite and spoil events from Endwalker if they are spoilery for Endwalker." Which is what people usually do. People in this thread still refer to the EXes in Endwalker as EX1/EX2/EX3 specifically to avoid any risk of spoilers.

Anything prior to Endwalker is "be polite if someone asks/if someone mentions they are at a specific part but otherwise acknowledge that the general discussion thread for a decade old MMO is going to inevitably involve spoilers for previous expansions just by existing."

If you start demanding every character, every ability, every location, every item, all of it gets spoiler tagged so nobody is spoiled then you've defeated the point of spoiler tags because they become meaningless. It sucks that yes this sometimes means cool twists are spoiled but that is unavoidable in a constantly updating game. You knowing Y'shtola appears in Endwalker means she doesn't die in any previous expansion despite Y'shtola dying in every previous expansion. Can't avoid it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the easy answer is "Be polite and spoil events from Endwalker if they are spoilery for Endwalker." Which is what people usually do. People in this thread still refer to the EXes in Endwalker as EX1/EX2/EX3 specifically to avoid any risk of spoilers.

I agree, though there are those who would argue that's too strict/not strict enough. Again, what it comes down to is that there isn't one consistently enforced rule and that leads to everyone squabbling instead of just "that is/isn't against the rule" and it gets left at that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

An odd question but the "Deal by the Docks" Tribe Quest is obviously referencing something but I can't figure out what it is. (The Familiar Wooden Crate.)

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Hellioning posted:

The only good part of this stupid discussion is I learned the shortcut for spoilers in this forum.

:emptyquote:

Mordiceius posted:

I do think that threads like this that are about media that has a major focus on story need to have a more consistent spoiler policy and that would do a whole loving lot to stamp out these stupid arguments.

There are no spoiler "rules" for this thread so you get this stupid petty arguments where people who post "spoilers" are considered assholes and people who don't want spoilers are seen as crybabies.

If you were to post the names of the EW trial bosses right when 6.0 dropped, you'd probably get everyone jumping on you for posting spoilers, but when is it okay to post it not under spoiler tags? 6.1? 7.0?

I don't think people should be screamed at for talking about Stormblood story beats untagged in this thread in 2022. But when does it become okay to do that?

I think it'd be good to have a thread policy on spoilers in the OP. At the very least it should state that people should tag spoiler bars with the name of the content they spoil; I hadn't connected the dots on that convention until someone called me out ITT. The OP should also clearly state which content is supposed to be spoilered, so people will know when they reach the point where they can browse in relative safety. Having any agreed-upon standard that newcomers and forgetful folks like me can refer to would do a lot of work on its own, no matter what policy we settle on regarding how much of the game's content should be kept hidden in spoilers during discussions.

Personally, I think it'd be good to draw the line at spoiling the content of the current expansion and the post-content of the previous expansion. Right now, that'd be redacting and tagging EW and post-ShB spoilers. If you want to be conservative then maybe both ShB and EW.

ImpAtom posted:

An odd question but the "Deal by the Docks" Tribe Quest is obviously referencing something but I can't figure out what it is. (The Familiar Wooden Crate.)

I thought that quest was supposed to be a (EW beast tribe quest spoilers, I guess)"haha, you thought this was an illicit drug deal?" joke. If it's a more specific reference I didn't catch it :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Emissary posted:

:emptyquote:

I think it'd be good to have a thread policy on spoilers in the OP. At the very least it should state that people should tag spoiler bars with the name of the content they spoil; I hadn't connected the dots on that convention until someone called me out ITT. The OP should also clearly state which content is supposed to be spoilered, so people will know when they reach the point where they can browse in relative safety. Having any agreed-upon standard that newcomers and forgetful folks like me can refer to would do a lot of work on its own, no matter what policy we settle on regarding how much of the game's content should be kept hidden in spoilers during discussions.

Personally, I think it'd be good to draw the line at spoiling the content of the current expansion and the post-content of the previous expansion. Right now, that'd be redacting and tagging EW and post-ShB spoilers. If you want to be conservative then maybe both ShB and EW.

I thought that quest was supposed to be a "haha, you thought this was an illicit drug deal?" joke. If it's a more specific reference I didn't catch it :shrug:

I get that part, yeah, it's just the "familiar" part for the crate that makes me unsure.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I assumed the "familiar" was that it's a Naldiq & Vymelli's crate, which the WoL is obviously familiar with if you've done any BSM or ARM stuff.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I get that part, yeah, it's just the "familiar" part for the crate that makes me unsure.

I think that's more a reference that the WoL is asked to haul around a lot of random poo poo in their nigh-bottomless bag (at least if it's marked as a key item). edit: ^^ oh wait it's probably that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I assumed the "familiar" was that it's a Naldiq & Vymelli's crate, which the WoL is obviously familiar with if you've done any BSM or ARM stuff.

Oh! Okay, that makes sense.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Having done the quests in question I appreciate little cameos and references to things my WoL have already done.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Man, it took forever, but I finally got my (EW final dungeon minion spoiler I guess?) Starbird

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just got killed by Zucchini Loaf in a frontline. I don't have anything else to say about it but there's my brush with the FF14 famous

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Man, it took forever, but I finally got my (EW final dungeon minion spoiler I guess?) Starbird

This is loving cool

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Edmond Dantes posted:

Holy poo poo that's some quality work

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I have an (ShB spoilers I guess.) Azem stone tattoo I got this year. I'll post it tomorrow.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like the FC ward/player ward split isn't really the best solution but I also don't know what a better one is. FCs should absolutely have easier access to houses than players should. But we already have a situation where so many of the "FC wards" are 90% players. So I hate when people say "there are only 6 player wards" because while not completely untrue, it misrepresents the situation to a degree.

There's a few things they could try (open a bunch of the FC-only wards up to private buyers, deciding if single-person "FC" housing is something they want or not, turn demolition back on, add a balcony to apartments for outdoor furniture, and so on and so forth) but ultimately they can either start adding more wards and/or housing districts (or both) when server hardware starts being available again, or publicly state "Some people who want a house aren't going to get one and we're okay with that".

E: I mean, it's not like there's an absence of cities they could conceivably add housing to now that they've added it to two expansion cities and set precedent. :v:

Itzena fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 17, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Edmond Dantes posted:

:eyepop:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Would they be able to add instanced housing for the people who don't care about the neighborhood dynamic that already exists?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hazardousmouse posted:

Would they be able to add instanced housing for the people who don't care about the neighborhood dynamic that already exists?
~spaghetti code~ sorry

E: While it might lighten the load a little, you'll still need x amount of instance servers to keep up with demand, instancing on its own is not a magic fix (remember stuff like Raubhan's Wall in SB or duty finder taking forever to get your instance because a billion bots are farming Amdapor Keep at once).

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 17, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's probably not spaghetti code this time. The current housing dynamic is exactly what the developers wanted to cultivate and is both too established to uproot and woefully inefficient for how popular the game currently is.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

They literally have instanced housing in the form of apartments and FC rooms, they are just insufficient space-wise and not-having-gardens-wise

Presumably there's nothing stopping them from just making bigger apartments with special apartment garden beds or whatever, aside from the fact that the devs don't want to do it for previously stated reasons

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1537792797721305088

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Live Letter on Canada Day? Beaver-based beast tribe confirmed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hazardousmouse posted:

I feel like allowing player housing in the neighborhoods was their mistake from the start. Neighborhoods should be FC only and then players should just have instanced housing. This would keep the wards more lively and allow everyone to have a house.

I've mentioned before, but my dream scenario would have been to have all the wards FC only and then give players upgradable instanced housing. You start with an empty plot and then slowly build it up into a bigger and bigger house (think something like Animal Crossing, but you pay up front).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

HackensackBackpack posted:

Live Letter on Canada Day? Beaver-based beast tribe confirmed.

The tribe doesn't start beaver based...

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hm live letter part 1 now, part 2 is probably in early or mid august then and then patch a few weeks after that?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kerrzhe posted:

i am now aware that ctrl-p is the shortcut to put spoiler tags in the post itself, not a shortcut to automatically expose all spoilers when browsing the thread :downs:

There's shortcuts for tags? Where has this info been the whole time I've been posting?!?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RME posted:

Hm live letter part 1 now, part 2 is probably in early or mid august then and then patch a few weeks after that?

If they've fully transitioned to a 4 month schedule we should get the patch on August 9th or 16th

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Countblanc posted:

If they've fully transitioned to a 4 month schedule we should get the patch on August 9th or 16th

I hope it's either the 9th or it gets delayed for a bit then cause I'm without my PC for almost all of August and I'd miss the patch and I'd be massively behind :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OhFunny posted:

There's shortcuts for tags? Where has this info been the whole time I've been posting?!?

There are some obvious ones like ctrl+b, i, u, and s for bold, italic, underline, and strikethrough. Didn't know about the spoiler tag one which I suppose is the first and only time spoiler chat will be productive.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

These minion drop rates are killing me. I've trusted Vesparti along the way of leveling four jobs, I cannot tell you how many times I've run this thing and the hippo baby will not loving drop :negative:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah I still don't have the starbird or spoonbill.when will I get them? :shrug:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

These minion drop rates are killing me. I've trusted Vesparti along the way of leveling four jobs, I cannot tell you how many times I've run this thing and the hippo baby will not loving drop :negative:

You can just buy the hippo calf

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I maxed all jobs and trusts a while ago and still don’t have the 83 dungeon card 😭

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Chillgamesh posted:

You can just buy the hippo calf

I'll be damned.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah dungeon minions and all orchestrion rolls tend to be tradable

It's nice

I've gotten several hippos from my trust grinding already

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The starbird isn't tradeable :argh:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the troll and snake arent tradeable ether

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if the starbird/troll/snake are still untradable at the end of the expansion i'm going to be extremely upset because i will still not have any of them

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Welp the hippo calf just dropped right after I caved and bought it. The gently caress game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You let the desire sensor find out you were no longer looking for it.