Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

same, I love ridin on my suzuki (vroom vroom vroom!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a resident Goldwing Guy (that’s a dece gangtag by the way), that thing rules.

Petition for a gold wing/ dadbike club gangtag (I work in medicine I have no graphic ability :negative:)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ok, how do I get that Suzuki gangtag?

:suzuki:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As a Suzuki owner and fan I condone this as being 'on brand'

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It should constantly shift colors though

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
"Atmospheric river" be damned, I went on a ride today.
166 mile loop along the Northern Oregon Coast.

Looking pretty clean at departure time:

Got rained on pretty good fifteen minutes after leaving but I dried off just by riding more.

Little one lane bridge in the Siuslaw National Forest:

Made it to the beach! (Pacific City)

Lunch time plus a beach doob:

Near Netarts:

Did the whole trip on ~1.5 gallons. :smugdog:

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 12, 2022

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

After a few thousand kms, very happy with the Scout. Main issue is all the boomers wanting to talk in any place I visit.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hell yeah. That’s some prime riding and I’m jealous you can do it on such a tiny bike without your spine leaving your body to choke you to death for your hubris like mine would.

I got out today too, but just to run an errand and get rained on. Which was just fine with me.

I’m ready for the rainy season to be over, but a ride is a ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Letmebefrank posted:

Main issue is all the boomers wanting to talk in any place I visit.

It’s cool to know the goldwing ownership experience is now available on other bikes too

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've got the immediate concerns and issues addressed on the beater 919 after a few weeks blown into a million pieces in my garage, shakedown ride yesterday went well. Gave it a quick hand polish and wax, I love this color, its got so much depth and pop.

Still have a laundry list of to-dos but at least I can ride it in the meantime.

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 12, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hit 10k on the Yamaha today :toot:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

166 mile loop along the Northern Oregon Coast.

Looking pretty clean at departure time:

Got rained on pretty good fifteen minutes after leaving but I dried off just by riding more.

Little one lane bridge in the Siuslaw National Forest:

Made it to the beach! (Pacific City)

Lunch time plus a beach doob:

Near Netarts:

Did the whole trip on ~1.5 gallons. :smugdog:

:hellyeah:

netarts rules. next time stop by nevør and pick up a bag or two of tørkes. probably my fave oyster ever

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Letmebefrank posted:

After a few thousand kms, very happy with the Scout. Main issue is all the boomers wanting to talk in any place I visit.

Harleys are honestly great for avoiding conversations. Most Harley boomers won't say more than "nice bike" because they don't know enough about motorcycles to have a conversation about them, and non-Harley guys think you're in that first category.

But that's made up for any time I take my car anywhere. When you have a Hellcat every greybeard wants to tell you about the Plymouth Barracuda they had in 1968 and how it would beat a modern Tesla off the line.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
A few weeks ago, a dude pulled across two lanes of traffic to get next to me and shout "Hey man nice bike!" out his window. Everyone else who's stopped to comment on my Rebel 500 has been a cop or security guard. Maybe he was too? Why do cops love Rebels?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Rebels are sweet dude. My learner bike at the msf was a rebel 250 that liked to stall at idle. I pretended I was riding a sick chopper thru the desert doing the little cone maneuvers in the parking lot lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

A few weeks ago, a dude pulled across two lanes of traffic to get next to me and shout "Hey man nice bike!" out his window. Everyone else who's stopped to comment on my Rebel 500 has been a cop or security guard. Maybe he was too? Why do cops love Rebels?

They look vaguely tough but not in a Harley way.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Most of harley "toughness" is just the threat of hate crimes. Current and definitely past. Otherwise they would have been out of business and forgotten ages ago.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Most of harley "toughness" is just the threat of hate crimes. Current and definitely past. Otherwise they would have been out of business and forgotten ages ago.

Tell me you're a navel gazing American without telling me you're a navel gazing American

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Slavvy posted:

They look vaguely tough but not in a Harley way.

This is hilarious to me because while I love my Rebel a lot, I would describe it as dorky-looking. A little bike with huge forks and tires trying desperately to look bigger and tougher than it is and failing to be anything but an endearing doofus. Throw in me, the fat late-30s goon in the full ADV suit riding it, and it paints a pretty unflattering picture.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

Tell me you're a navel gazing American without telling me you're a navel gazing American

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Biker_War

They shot 13 AT rockets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

unimportantguy posted:

This is hilarious to me because while I love my Rebel a lot, I would describe it as dorky-looking. A little bike with huge forks and tires trying desperately to look bigger and tougher than it is and failing to be anything but an endearing doofus. Throw in me, the fat late-30s goon in the full ADV suit riding it, and it paints a pretty unflattering picture.

The rebel is the golden retriever of the cruiser world

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The rebel is the golden retriever of the cruiser world

Does that make a Harley a Rottweiler? People think they're tough and dangerous because of how they're depicted in movies but in reality they're mostly fat and slow with unnecessary mods that do little to actually benefit them (like cutting the tail), and even though they tend to be loud they're usually afraid of their own farts.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I looks at Harley's like Pugs...oversized Pugs.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

English Bulldogs. A long and storied history, form mindlessly taken almost to the point of parody at the expense of performance or practicality.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jesus that's a little excessive. And not the sort of thing I'd expect to go down in that quiet region.

Slavvy posted:

wat

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is amazing and presumably a predictable outcome of the finno-korean hyperwar.

There are ways of perceiving reality that aren't through the lens of moronic american politics. The fact that you think Harley=hate crimes days wayyy more about you than about Harleys or the people who own them.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

This forum itself has a number of very reasonable and cool people who ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles. There are definitely lovely people who ride Harley-Davidsons but it seems real dumb how every time HD gets mentioned on this subforum someone comes out of the woodwork with a blazing take at the ready about how they're bad actually.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I want a Harley im just priced out. some day I will either get a gold wing or an Electra glide

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

unimportantguy posted:

This forum itself has a number of very reasonable and cool people who ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles. There are definitely lovely people who ride Harley-Davidsons but it seems real dumb how every time HD gets mentioned on this subforum someone comes out of the woodwork with a blazing take at the ready about how they're bad actually.

It's PTwin enjoyers and KTM defenders you have look out for

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

unimportantguy posted:

I've said multiple times that people making fun of Harley motorcycles (lol they leak oil and they're slow and made of bowling pins probably!) should probably refocus that to making fun of Harley's "lifestyle" marketing and the people that buy HD-branded ceiling fans and dog bowls, but that would require more than a cursory look at the bikes themselves, and those folks are generally too busy huffing their own farts.

But this is the pics thread so here's my motorcycle outside the weed store because freedom.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Main thing keeping me away from HD ownership is the bar-and-shield boomers and chuds that comprise a good chunk of their riders. Certainly not all HD riders, maybe not even a majority, but still a sizeable population and obnoxious to boot. They're all dying off though, so that problem will eventually fix itself.

Meanwhile it'd be kinda nice if the Motor Company would stop teasing cool poo poo like the Bronx and forward-thinking bikes like the Livewire and either killing them in the womb or overpricing them and then sending them out to die in the wilderness when sales numbers aren't what they'd hoped

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have very pointed and nuanced takes on Harley that come from living at ground zero harleytown

Thank you very much :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Main thing putting me off a Ducati is all the latte sipping hairdressers

Main thing putting me off a bmw is all the dentists and doctors

Just dumbness. Who gives a poo poo, ride the bikes for what they are.

Except KTM, those people are untermensch

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I mean there was a time when I didn't know any reasonable people who were also Harley riders, and I was aware of them marketing a lot of lifestyle stuff and questionable safety gear, and my extremely limited experience on cruisers was that of driving a sluggish boat with your balls pointed forward, all of which just made me assume the bikes were also over-hyped idiot poo poo garbage. It took hearing from riders with breadth of experience vouching for (some of) them before I considered otherwise.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

For every lovely Harley rider there is an equally lovely *insert brand here*.

In the city the shittiest of all are the three-wheeling Hot Wheels lite-bright brain bucket wearing douchebags who mash the rev limiter in 1st gear while circling the neighborhood blasting undiscernable music loud enough to turn your eardrums into a paste as fine as whatever's left of their eardrums.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Main thing putting me off a Ducati is all the latte sipping hairdressers

Main thing putting me off a bmw is all the dentists and doctors

Just dumbness. Who gives a poo poo, ride the bikes for what they are.

Except KTM, those people are untermensch

At least the KTM posters here take their periodic ribbing gracefully. All bikes are indeed good, doesn’t mean we can’t make fun of them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten posted:

All bikes are indeed good, doesn’t mean we can’t make fun of them.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

ought ten posted:

All bikes are indeed good, doesn’t mean we can’t make fun of them.

This is not true: the Kawasaki Vulcan is both subjectively and objectively bad and anyone who enjoys one probably doesn't realize that other motorcycles exist. :colbert:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The HD dealership where I bought my Roadster is still the only dealership I’ve been to that had women and people who weren’t white in any numbers behind the proverbial counter.

Admittedly, this is Oregon so everything is white as hell. And I’ve also been to a super lovely local HD dealership, so it’s clearly not all of them. But that place seems to be making an effort to be welcoming to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

The HD dealership where I bought my Roadster is still the only dealership I’ve been to that had women and people who weren’t white in any numbers behind the proverbial counter.

Admittedly, this is Oregon so everything is white as hell. And I’ve also been to a super lovely local HD dealership, so it’s clearly not all of them. But that place seems to be making an effort to be welcoming to everyone.

Where at? I'm demoing a LiveWire at the HD dealership in Beaverton right next to Bob Lanphere's.
I want to check out their non electric bikes as well.