Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I think Dillon said that manual saves might be a separate option in the full game?

I might be misremembering though, it was like 2 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nothing to do with immersion but I do dislike manual saving at any time because I wind up hitting it and thinking about it too frequently.

my ideal is a good autosave so I don't have to think about it at all, but save points are fine too if they're not obnoxiously far apart.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Is that...Pablo Schreiber from American Gods as (I assume) some kind of merchant @ ~0:30 in the video?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

I dunno, save points aren't really a sore point for me. Compulsive quicksaving is the devil and ruins so much immersion. RE2 remake still used ye olde save points and it's a modern title that worked well, so there's nothing inherently flawed in the idea imo.

Also I'm sure there'll be a day1 mod to remove it, knowing gamers.

I'm ok with it taking measures to curb compulsive quicksaving, and based on the description of the difficulty levels it sounds like the save-anywhere device you get on the easiest difficulty requires you to stop and open your inventory and makes sound when you use it, which is a neat approach. I am absolutely not ok with it going "done playing for the night? ok, spend another half hour actually getting to a place where you can save your game". gently caress that noise.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm ok with it taking measures to curb compulsive quicksaving, and based on the description of the difficulty levels it sounds like the save-anywhere device you get on the easiest difficulty requires you to stop and open your inventory and makes sound when you use it, which is a neat approach. I am absolutely not ok with it going "done playing for the night? ok, spend another half hour actually getting to a place where you can save your game". gently caress that noise.

I feel like this is an already solved problem with games that allow you a save that happens when you exit and then you can continue that save when you next play where it then clears that save until you exit again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dunno if Turbo Overkill always had this roadmap, but if the devs stick to it then it'll be a lot shorter than most of its contemporaries. Will probably be out before AE and IF expansions lmao.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
We just dropped a BIG Slayers X patch with a bunch of fixes and QOL things. Biggest features are an automap and we fixed the AI for your rat allies so they help you fight when you use the Explosive Sludge Launcher, as seen here:

https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1537453574451519489

(The baddies normally go down easier, I just wanted to show the rats off so I purposefully aimed at the ground for the second dude.)

Hope y'all enjoy.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 16, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Imo the dual pistols feel kinda weak, even for a starting weapon.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Mordja posted:

Imo the dual pistols feel kinda weak, even for a starting weapon.

just looked and i guess at some point i accidentally nerfed em. whoops. will be less crap in the next patch.

edit: i also forced mouse smoothing to ON and you can't disable it without editing the registry. ack. :facepalm:

edit 2: i also made sawblades heal enemies instead of hurt them so you end up with some enemies gaining 50hp per second if they follow you into a certain area. video footage:

https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1537506937377636353

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 16, 2022

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You guys rule.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm not sure why I never noticed this until today, but Duke Nukem kinda stole Doomguy's pose huh

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when my little brother and i were young he'd say i was the doomguy shooting the demons and he was the doomguy coming to help :3:

i had the OG poster that came with ultimate DOOM but the sands of time ate it up :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Convex posted:

I'm not sure why I never noticed this until today, but Duke Nukem kinda stole Doomguy's pose huh

real recognise real

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Convex posted:

I think they're both kind of based on the Army of Darkness poster, but particularly the Duke one which is basically an exact recreation of it:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Volte posted:

I think they're both kind of based on the Army of Darkness poster, but particularly the Duke one which is basically an exact recreation of it:

:doh:

I knew it was familiar

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Volte posted:

The devs really really loved that movie. I do too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Next Fest FPS Roundup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn2TMPGaJP4

As Marathon is to Doom, Pathways into Darkness is to Wolfenstein 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQKX07MlVjg

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 16, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

The devs really really loved that movie. I do too.

It was the best of the three Evil Dead movies. Yeah that's right I SAID IT. :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jiro posted:

It was the best of the three Evil Dead movies. Yeah that's right I SAID IT. :colbert:

I think you can declare any of them to be the best and be totally justified. I'm personally a fan of the pure horror approach of the first one with Army of Darkness coming in next and then Evil Dead II.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Volte posted:

it was a pretty cliche fantasy /sci fi pose, even then. the first poster for star wars used it!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

catlord posted:

I think you can declare any of them to be the best and be totally justified. I'm personally a fan of the pure horror approach of the first one with Army of Darkness coming in next and then Evil Dead II.

:same:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

As Marathon is to Doom, Pathways into Darkness is to Wolfenstein 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQKX07MlVjg

he included the ring, mandalore reveal yourself

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Marathon sucks

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Marathon is the only 2.5D FPS that lets you instakill your friends in deathmatch by getting a good headstart and doing a full speed running punch which transfers all of your momentum into damage :colbert:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Marathon is the only 2.5D FPS that lets you instakill your friends in deathmatch by getting a good headstart and doing a full speed running punch which transfers all of your momentum into damage :colbert:

Sounds like a lovely anime

(and cool)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah but then you have to find someone else to play Marathon and no one does because it sucks.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Just finished the Slayers X demo, and it's fantastic. There's just so many little things to mess with, and the glass in the environment being ammo was a super fun touch.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's a lot I like about the Marathon setting. Just kind of sucks that the games are unfun to play.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Woah woah woah hey now yall we're all friends here.

Marathon does, in fact, suck rear end, as a game.

Marathon 2: Durandal fucken owns bones though.

Marathon Infinity unfortunately is also dogshit. :negative:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had a mac as a wee baby so I played a lot of Marathon and I don’t think it’s bad.

I don’t really play it now though, but I still play Doom.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hey blood-ers. how the heck do I get the big door up there open

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I always sequence break that map with jump boots so I have no clue what the designed route is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have also been jump booting around. that smaller door to the left I don't have the key for and high up there's a switch that seems to do nothing when I toggle it back and forth

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the switch is behind a locked door in the upper part of the structure?

It's been a while.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't enjoy (what little I've played of) Marathon, because the FOV is painfully small. It's like I have a huge tube that extends 4' out from my face. No thanks.

Also, I'm not a fan of the art direction. Every enemy looks taller than they are wide. I'm not asking for square characters, but some variety would be nice.

I will always champion those level names, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

is the Marathon port on Xbox any good? It's always on sale but the graphics look shiiit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dieting Hippo posted:

Just finished the Slayers X demo, and it's fantastic. There's just so many little things to mess with, and the glass in the environment being ammo was a super fun touch.

Was my favorite of the various demos that just dropped.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quantum of Phallus posted:

is the Marathon port on Xbox any good? It's always on sale but the graphics look shiiit

You can run it with original graphics (sprites and textures at least, the original HUD is gone)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its legitimately quite good. I mean the game is still marathon, but you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I respect Marathon but I’ll never play through them. I just can’t enjoy them.