Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I saw a paper in the opening where the articles didn't match the headlines and it said "President Clinton." Sloppy work.

I’m pretty sure the Trailblazers/Jordan #1 article had June 30, 1986. Two years after the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Was this supposed to be the first Space Hotel? Because a 1G space station for what is essentially the trial run of space tourism is a... bold bet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dpkg chopra posted:

Was this supposed to be the first Space Hotel? Because a 1G space station for what is essentially the trial run of space tourism is a... bold bet.

Yeah I would have started with a zero G hotel where you get to spend like a week in space, but that could end badly if people take poorly to space. having a part of the hotel that has gravity is for the bast just in case someone can't handle zero g. Otherwise you have to send a shuttle back to Earth and waste a bunch of money.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If I had to guess the first artificial gravity stations will rotate as a whole piece instead of on a hub and will only rotate below 1 G for limited periods of time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Going straight to 1G also seems a bit extra, like why not start with something lower but still workable, like 0.5G?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you would want to be as close to 1G as possible for people not used to space flight. Mostly because the guests aren't going to realize that it things will work differently in space. So in .5G, they will be tossing things across the room, pouring drinks and spilling everywhere because the liquid doesn't pour the same way, and then they will stand up from a chair with the same force they've always used and launch themselves into the ceiling at worst, or get startled and fall down at best.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cojawfee posted:

So in .5G, they will be tossing things across the room, pouring drinks and spilling everywhere because the liquid doesn't pour the same way, and then they will stand up from a chair with the same force they've always used and launch themselves into the ceiling at worst, or get startled and fall down at best.

So what's the downside?

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Why do you say that? Didn't she just inherit like a billion dollars?

If the company isn't hers, then she's definitely going to be in charge of the whole space division. And while the space hotel concept may be a failure, perhaps Helios can find some other space business.

The trailer shows the Helios station modified into a spaceship, clearly participating in the Mars race.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cojawfee posted:

I think you would want to be as close to 1G as possible for people not used to space flight. Mostly because the guests aren't going to realize that it things will work differently in space. So in .5G, they will be tossing things across the room, pouring drinks and spilling everywhere because the liquid doesn't pour the same way, and then they will stand up from a chair with the same force they've always used and launch themselves into the ceiling at worst, or get startled and fall down at best.

a wedding venue where you're half your weight would appeal to everyone

imagine the space sex

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yea a lowerG space hotel would be part of the novelty. They’d advertise it and remind you constantly of the lower G. Build a basketball court so guests can have fun doing sick dunks, stuff like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The gravity you get depends on the radius of rotation and the RPM. So you would be able to make a ring station rotating for 1 g in the man habitat area (they mentioned in the podcast the station is indeed too small for this to be done comfortably, imagine double the size or more) and then you could have facilities further up the spokes at various different gravities depending on how far they are from the center. A whole second ring at .5 or little pods at various gravity for space sports or whatever.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

imagine the space sex

Way ahead of you!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Episode is out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ enough with the Karen and Danny nonsense already.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Let us mourn the loss of the Hi Bob Bloc

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I love that this new timeline has flat screen HDTVs by 1992 as well as Comedy Central's Battlebots

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

withak posted:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh about that...

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

withak posted:

You know she's going to hook him into joining Helios and go on the mission as well, forming the first poly couple in space with Ed and Danny.

The Outpost scene with Ed and Dani was brutal though. gently caress you, old white man.

Good episode, moves things forward and I'm just waiting for the November surprise to gently caress things up.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

So over the last couple weeks I've tried to get into this show, but it has been rough going. The only reason I'm still kinda watching it is I've got no other decent shows going right now. S1 episodes seem like a ratio of 20% cool stuff to 80% painfully banal personal melodrama. I find myself fastforwarding through scenes and then skipping entire episodes and not feeling like I missed much. Yet I keep hearing good things about this show. Does S2 and 3 improve this ratio significantly or is this show just not for me?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Molly still remains No.1

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AcidCat posted:

So over the last couple weeks I've tried to get into this show, but it has been rough going. The only reason I'm still kinda watching it is I've got no other decent shows going right now. S1 episodes seem like a ratio of 20% cool stuff to 80% painfully banal personal melodrama. I find myself fastforwarding through scenes and then skipping entire episodes and not feeling like I missed much. Yet I keep hearing good things about this show. Does S2 and 3 improve this ratio significantly or is this show just not for me?

If you're skipping entire episodes then just don't watch it. It's a serialized show, you're not going to improve it by not seeing the story.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I'd go with "not for you"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Do we have a giant :allears: smilie vomiting smaller :allears:s?

Guess I'm 100% #teamHelios now,

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love that Molly has a service dog that is completely useless aside from growling at people she doesn't like.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Ed is going to Mars in a hotel powered by farts

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Man, gently caress Molly. She was way out of line and the reason you have committees is to prevent stupid poo poo like “the old geezers club” from forming or deciding that it’s a great idea to turn the first mission to Mars into a two year “take your daughter to work day”. poo poo is too serious now for cowboys and loose cannons.

She couldn’t loving wait a few days to talk to Margo about what was going on, no, she “knew” better and she reaped what she sowed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm going to guess Ellen will be stabbed in the back by her VP and impeached.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Holy poo poo Danny is such a psycho

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I'm low-key rooting for Ed. Margo is also pivoting into antagonist territory

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Spacebump posted:

Please god no

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Major heel turn by Ed

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Dicks out for Helios.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Rappaport posted:

Do we have a giant :allears: smilie vomiting smaller :allears:s?

Guess I'm 100% #teamHelios now,

No doubt my favorite part.

Maybe I'm the only one, but as much as I hated it in S2 then the continuation in last weeks episode, but Danny going full stalker/crazy with Karen and Ed could end up interesting I think? First murder on Mars?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

When Bragg mentioned to Ellen he's been a supporter since "the tank", they have to mean she pulled off the Dukakis right?

and BATTLEBOTS!!!!!!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kloaked00 posted:

When Bragg mentioned to Ellen he's been a supporter since "the tank", they have to mean she pulled off the Dukakis right?

That was my thought

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, we're totally getting this instead of Clinton's various scandals

Solkanar512 posted:

Man, gently caress Molly. She was way out of line and the reason you have committees is to prevent stupid poo poo like “the old geezers club” from forming or deciding that it’s a great idea to turn the first mission to Mars into a two year “take your daughter to work day”. poo poo is too serious now for cowboys and loose cannons.

She couldn’t loving wait a few days to talk to Margo about what was going on, no, she “knew” better and she reaped what she sowed.

So my read on this was it's the show working in the very real argument that was leveled at NASA in the 80s by a lot of the original guys, when NASA started to churn out missions and started picking people by committee. The old guys felt like NASAs new process picked candidates less for qualification reasons and more "This will get NASA more attention and good PR!". It really took off post-Challenger when it was argued that because NASA really wanted their PR flight to go ahead (because McAuliffe was selected by that new process rather than the old process), it led to lapses in other areas, like not taking warnings seriously about O-Rings being dangerous at certain temperatures. I personally think it was 60% of the old school bitching because their way wasn't king anymore, and 40% "well, they do have a point", since NASA revamped their selection process shortly thereafter among other things. Riding Rockets by Mike Mullane goes into it a bit more.

Kloaked00 posted:

I think he's referring to when she and Deke flew their rescue mission to the Moon, and she leaps for the fuel tank when they're trying to dock with Ed.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 17, 2022

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Yea it was about catching the tank when Ed threw it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, we're totally getting this instead of Clinton's various scandals

So my read on this was it's the show working in the very real argument that was leveled at NASA in the 80s by a lot of the original guys, when NASA started to churn out missions and started picking people by committee. The old guys felt like NASAs new process picked candidates less for qualification reasons and more "This will get NASA more attention and good PR!". It really took off post-Challenger when it was argued that because NASA really wanted their PR flight to go ahead (because McAuliffe was selected by that new process rather than the old process), it led to lapses in other areas, like not taking warnings seriously about O-Rings being dangerous at certain temperatures. I personally think it was 60% of the old school bitching because their way wasn't king anymore, and 40% "well, they do have a point", since NASA revamped their selection process shortly thereafter among other things. Riding Rockets by Mike Mullane goes into it a bit more.

I think he's referring to when she and Deke flew their rescue mission to the Moon, and she leaps for the fuel tank when they're trying to dock with Ed.

That's actually quite interesting, thanks for heads up!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

In case anyone wants to watch the episode that Dani's family was when she got the call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkB2X3lbnGc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Holy poo poo Danny is such a psycho

Surely it can't be worse than what they did last season, he says, laughing with dead eyes.