Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently Season 5 of Miraculous Ladybug has recently started up in some areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Xelkelvos posted:

One last treat. Ever curious about the fights I had with the censors on Gravity Falls?
this makes it seem like a miracle that anything shows up on Disney at all

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
He and Ian JQ had an exchange in the replies contrasting their experiences with S&P at Disney and CN

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1537454507897999362

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would genuinely buy a tabletop book of S&P quotes from Alex Hirsch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pakled posted:

He and Ian JQ had an exchange in the replies contrasting their experiences with S&P at Disney and CN

I’m reminded of how the folks behind Reboot wrote an entire episode about how lovely and miserable their BS&P rep from ABC was, even writing her into the episode as a character and modelling the binome model after her physically, purely to try and show her what a stifling bore she was… and it went right over her head.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can that be a thread title? How long can those be?

Seconding this. And I will continue to do so until my demands are met.

The 7th Guest posted:

Just announced today, but the Miraculous Ladybug director and studio are helming a new CG Astro Boy series.

*sigh* If I had a nickel for every time I got excited for a new animated show only to be crushed by the realization that it will be CG…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, was Miraculous Ladybug supposed to be based on some existing work (I know Toei was originally trying to get it out before a French company took over and made it CG)?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On an unrelated note, I just wanted to say that my favourite take on the mistaken identity trope in kids movies is in Ballerina - most cases it's an accident or a mutual switch, but in Ballerina the main character sees an opportunity after meeting the real girl, who she had a bad time meeting, and she's just like "Yeah, gently caress that bich, I'm going to commit a crime and deliberately steal her identity, because she pissed me off that badly." Then on the reveal instead of immediately turning on her the teacher's just like "Hey, you're doing really well and I'm enjoying having you as a student, so I'll teach both of you and whoever proves themselves the best dancer gets to stay at the school."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 16, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, was Miraculous Ladybug supposed to be based on some existing work (I know Toei was originally trying to get it out before a French company took over and made it CG)?

I mean it's like 75% Sailor Moon, 25% Spider-Man imo. or do you mean actually based on a comic or something? Cause in that case, no

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I mean it's like 75% Sailor Moon, 25% Spider-Man imo. or do you mean actually based on a comic or something? Cause in that case, no

Yeah that’s what I meant. I might have asked this before but how’d it wind up changing hands from Japan to France then out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 16, 2022

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The creator of Miraculous Ladybug is French and it was always a French production, Toei got involved because they previously did an anime set in Paris and wanted to expand their international audience. I think they're still involved?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

The creator of Miraculous Ladybug is French and it was always a French production, Toei got involved because they previously did an anime set in Paris and wanted to expand their international audience. I think they're still involved?

Ah ok, I know they did a 2D test pilot (that honestly still looks way better than what we actually got) but wasn’t sure if ML was originally their baby or they were just helping out with the project

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Honestly I just got it all from the Wikipedia page

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The 7th Guest posted:

Just announced today, but the Miraculous Ladybug director and studio are helming a new CG Astro Boy series.

That sounds cool.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Call me crazy but 99% of TV-tier CG looks like complete rear end. Maybe it's because I wasn't raised with it but I'd honestly prefer even incredibly low budget 2D animation most of the time.

Anyways here's more The Loud House, which kind of sucks but at least looks decent most of the time. Because it's animated in 2D.

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Ep 4A) Project Loud House

Season 1, Ep 4B) In Tents Debate
Written by Bob Mittenthal
Storyboard by Ed Baker
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: The yearly family vacation is coming up soon and the Loud kids' are sick of camping. Lincoln asks his parents if they can go somewhere new and against all odds they agree... but don't specify a place leaving the kid's to pick the new destination. Half the sisters want to go to a theme park and the other half would rather go to a beach resort leaving Lincoln undecided with the tie-breaking vote. Hoping to win Lincoln over each team of sisters starts bribing him, escalating their efforts with each attempt. When Lincoln starts stalling for time the sisters change tactics and switch to pranks and sabotage, hoping to remind him of the downsides of the other team's destination and drive a wedge between him and the other sisters. Eventually Lincoln realizes what's happening and resolves the situation by asking his parents to go camping as originally planned, making it up to his sisters by playing servant to make up for his behavior and mitigate the parts of camping they hate.

Thoughts: After a nice spike in quality we regress back to the mean with an episode that is neither outright painful nor particularly exceptional. The humor isn't bad, but I didn't really laugh either and the while the animation does it's job it's not spectacular. It's a thoroughly unremarkable episode at the end of the day.

...Except for this one part. At one point the smart sister tries to get Lincoln to choose the theme park over the beach by giving him a bottle of suntan lotion filled with sodium hidrochlorite, which I'm pretty sure is the active ingredient in bleach and can really mess you up if it stays on your skin too long or gets in your eyes or mouth. The scene is played for laughs and has no lasting consequences but still, what the hell, Lisa!? :psyduck: Somebody who knows chemicals better than I do let me know if I'm overreacting.

Themes and morals: We've all seen this story before. A character gets power over other people for some reason (for example, maybe they are sick and their parents want to care for them) and ultimately ends up taking advantage of their good will to the point where the person or people they are exploiting turn on them. It's a story about not abusing your power even when it's easy and literally every cartoon seems to have their own version of it. It's fine. Overdone, but fine.

So how does The Loud House handle it? Alright, I guess. The message of the episode works but is undermined by Lincoln just not being enough of a dick to justify what he ends up going through. Normally in episodes like this the protagonist is actively demanding things out of their victims but here Lincoln just kind of hangs back and enjoys the special treatment and stalls a bit to get another day or two of bribes out of his sisters. Hell, you can argue he's not even all that motivated by the special treatment but is instead afraid of making half his sisters mad by voting against them, which would make his flaw indecisiveness, not greed, and that's harder to be mad at. And it's not like the sister's transparently manipulative actions and pranks leave them looking particularly great either. The episode still pretty much works, but I think a script revision would have really tightened things up a bit.

Final thoughts: Seriously Lincoln, you chose the campground everybody hates!? You could have at least picked an entirely new option so that nobody felt left out. Maybe some kind of beach side amusement park so the family could enjoy both kinds of vacations at once. Or hell, maybe pick somewhere you know *only* you will enjoy as revenge for the time they tricked you into rubbing bleach all over your face.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 17, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh boy. Thomas Astruc. Doing Astroboy.

Someone, please, shoot me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One final thing about Naruto now I've finished Shippuden (probably not gonna bother with Boruto) - I appreciate that just because (ending stuff)he's a war hero doesn't mean he gets fast tracked. Kakashi is going to make him a Jonin to help his journey to eventual Hokage and Shikamaru is completely in his corner and willing to help too, but Naruto needs to earn that promotion by learning everything that both a Chunin AND a Jonin are supposed to know. He has to take 2 courses at once basically so that he will qualify for Jonin and then have enough knowledge that he can be trusted with the responsibility of leading the village. He has to shore up all his weaknesses as he can no longer afford to be book-dumb. AND ontop of that he needs to keep up his mission quota so that he doesn't get perceived as lazy or inconsistent.

Also the wedding gift final arc was hilarious.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 17, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BioEnchanted posted:

One final thing about Naruto now I've finished Shippuden (probably not gonna bother with Boruto) - I appreciate that just because (ending stuff)he's a war hero doesn't mean he gets fast tracked. Kakashi is going to make him a Jonin to help his journey to eventual Hokage and Shikamaru is completely in his corner and willing to help too, but Naruto needs to earn that promotion by learning everything that both a Chunin AND a Jonin are supposed to know. He has to take 2 courses at once basically so that he will qualify for Jonin and then have enough knowledge that he can be trusted with the responsibility of leading the village. He has to shore up all his weaknesses as he can no longer afford to be book-dumb. AND ontop of that he needs to keep up his mission quota so that he doesn't get perceived as lazy or inconsistent.

I think Boruto is better than Shippuden for the most part so I actually recommend it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I had kinda assumed that anime nerds were being facetious when they were talking about "Boruto" like it's a real thing. Like when I talk about my Bideo James. Or the "Go Barves" folks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The wedding gift arc is amazing and I love it. If you like the more mundane troubles of Naruto actually needing an education to become Hokage, Boruto slams you with Naruto having to be an active politician who is also a dad, and thus he is very, very tired.

In episode 93, there's a parent and child festival going on in the village, so Naruto manages to squeeze some time off to spend with his daughter but he's about ready to pass out at every chance so he has to try and be a good dad while not letting that on as they both try to find this one toy she wants. Around that episode there's Sasuke doing at attempt at being a father to his daughter. It goes as well as you could imagine Sasuke Uchiha attempting to have a bond with a child.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pakled posted:

I think Disney having tighter standards and being less willing to risk a scandal fits with the company trying to do tighter brand management as well as Disney's TV division being a tiny little speck in the corporate structure that doesn't want to make waves for the company at large, while Cartoon Network seems to have more generally stood by its creators and genuinely taken chances on them, and even though it has a parent company, it doesn't have a larger brand that it needs to push back against.

I guess that also might be part of Disney's TV animation division having been founded on the idea of having higher standards and quality than other TV animation back in the 80s. More executive control and involvement.

And I suppose by Alex Hirsch's own account, he wasn't great at handling the management and business side of running a cartoon, so I can imagine this being one of the most draining parts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Boruto is a good series actually and you should watch it

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
RE: S&P Talk

I guess that tweet brought up some memories in some people (I had to post this somewhere because it was going to stay in my brain otherwise because… what)

https://twitter.com/_wolfsteak_/status/1537597885147058176?s=21&t=Kg5LHmMIkvh_7NfkxeWUDw

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What... is that referencing

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Macaluso posted:

What... is that referencing

Apparently reading through other replies from people who worked at Disney/general animation people, apparently (spoiler cause….why) Alex Hirsch had a bad habit of pissing into garbage cans

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pissing on Disney property rules

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah but it's not great for the janitors

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I’m just gonna take that rumor with a big ollll shaker of salt

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The 7th Guest posted:

I’m just gonna take that rumor with a big ollll shaker of salt

Normally I'd agree, but at least one of the people responding to the tweet is this girl, who was a storboard artist on the Tangled series:

https://twitter.com/mbrleigh/status/1537843443908481029

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I’m still filing that under urban legend, sorry.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

That specific rumor has resurfaced time and again and as far as I've seen, the only source is an uncorroborated post on /co/ about it, which in itself quite possibly could've been the work of a specific blacklisted individual with an axe to grind. Not exactly the most solid of bases. Hirsch even admitted to overworking himself to the point of sleeping at the DTVA offices in tweets when the show was still running so it's not like his unhealthy and frankly hosed up work ethic is entirely unknown. Hell, IIRC in those very same tweets he mentioned having to choose between taking a shower or a quick nap before a 10am meeting. But going from that to "pisses in trashcans, presumably for fun" is a pretty huge leap.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 17, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yea that just sounds like standard vague rumory gossips from a telephone game 8 years ago, like "aw man i heard he works at the office all night??" "yeah and i heard from a friend's coworker's cousin he pees in the trash too!!" "haha ewwww im gonna tell Everyone" kind of stuff

also idk if it was just me but the op of that tweet sounds like a insufferably smug :smug: type

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

cartoons123 posted:

Apparently reading through other replies from people who worked at Disney/general animation people, apparently (spoiler cause….why) Alex Hirsch had a bad habit of pissing into garbage cans

Well, so did I when I was 8. There's a sort of rationality to it, it's a place for waste. Probably more sanitary than doing it into the sink, which I've seen some gross people argue for. I can see somebody ending up doing it when they're breaking down under pressure.

Not something somebody should do, but it wouldn't be like a major moral failing to end a career on.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wish Bluey would stop emotionally devastating my wife. This back half of the third season hasn’t been pulling any punches. We’re pretty much looking forward to my kid’s lunch time being over so we can watch the latest episode now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, so did I when I was 8. There's a sort of rationality to it, it's a place for waste. Probably more sanitary than doing it into the sink, which I've seen some gross people argue for. I can see somebody ending up doing it when they're breaking down under pressure.

Not something somebody should do, but it wouldn't be like a major moral failing to end a career on.

I mean... the sink has a drain, how would that not be more sanitary? You go there and you won't have piss stinking up the joint until the janitor picks up the basket.

I get that the guy was having hard times, I really do, but I don't think this particular hill is one people should die on trying to justify.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I've known about the hygiene thing for a while, like that it got so bad the studio had to send him home to clean himself because it was becoming a problem for the people working there.
From the accounts of those I know, it was not a pleasant working environment, and if you're a showrunner that's a really fukken bad example to set. And this isn't something I learned recently, it was poo poo I learned around the release of that final season.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 18, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

man, seeing the gravity falls tweet, i would love to have seen what censor notes were provided to the guys doing the dub for the first season of Dragonball Z.

"please refrain from using the word "halo" to refer to Goku's halo when it disappears after he comes back to life. instead consider using "ring" or something to that effect"

Larryb posted:

Boruto is a good series actually and you should watch it

apologies if i asked this before, but didn't naruto end with him fighting basically the God of chakra in the naruto universe? where do you go after THAT?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Disney having tighter standards and being less willing to risk a scandal fits with the company trying to do tighter brand management as well as Disney's TV division being a tiny little speck in the corporate structure that doesn't want to make waves for the company at large, while Cartoon Network seems to have more generally stood by its creators and genuinely taken chances on them, and even though it has a parent company, it doesn't have a larger brand that it needs to push back against.

Eh, you say that but the stories of all the poo poo around Steven Universe and the fights involving that are pretty well-known and horrible. It doesn't sound like that was at the level of the S&P people, though, but rather the higher execs. Still, they effectively cancelled one of their more popular shows early in retribution for being too gay.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 18, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently we’ll be getting some Kyoshi, Zuko, and Korra related movies in a few years:

https://avatarnews.co/post/687354302251073536/paramount-and-avatar-studios-slate-of-animated

I wouldn’t mind an adaption of the Kyoshi novel at the very least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
edit: removed cuz I do have a bit of a biased take against Disney :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 18, 2022