Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Sifu's roadmap for updates this year is out:

https://twitter.com/SifuGame/status/1518968152595566593

Spring (May 3rd):
Difficulty Options
Advanced Training
Outfit Selection, the Wude Outfit, and an exclusive Outfit for folks who purchased the Digital Deluxe version.

Summer:
New Outfits
Advanced Scoring
Gameplay Modifiers (Exames given are No Pendant, One Health Point, No Guard, Stronger Enemies, Golden Staff, All Skills Unlocked, Bullet Time)

Fall:
Replay Editor
New Modifiers
New Outfits

Winter:
New Game Mode - Arenas
New Modifiers
New Outfits

I adored Sifu and it's cool to see the devs adding some polish and a little fleshing out to what I think is already a phenomenal game just as it is. As you would expect the comments of that tweet are full of people raging that they'd have the audacity to include difficulty options. :rolleyes: I'm particularly looking forward to the Summer Update to play around with modifiers - I'm sure we're going to see some amazing runs with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

2022 continues to deliver beat 'em up goodness - it's been a long while since there've been this many high profile beat em up releases.

River City Saga: Three Kingdoms has been confirmed to get a localisation and will be releasing July 22 on Switch, PS4 and Steam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXc6Jm8g82w

quote:

• Wacky and Wild Action! Kunio Wreaks Havoc in the Three Kingdoms!
    The River City cast of characters step onto the stage of the Three Kingdoms to wreak havoc! This title takes the concept of the beloved Downtown Special: River City Historical Drama! game and crosses international lines to tell the tale of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
    Watch the wacky and comedic action unfold as our hero Guan Yu (you may recognize him as Kunio) tries to survive the tumultuous times of the late Han dynasty. The rest of the cast make appearances as generals, tacticians, and more, giving the Three Kingdoms a River City twist! Enjoy a funny, action-packed take on famous historical events, from the Yellow Turban Rebellion to the Battle of Red Cliffs.

• The Beat ‘Em Up Action You Know and Love!
    The gameplay focuses on the beat ‘em up action the series is known for. Intricately connected areas form a massive game world. Aside from battle, you can enjoy shopping in villages and cities. Go sight-seeing and explore every nook and cranny!

• Turn the Tide of Battle with Flashy “Tactics” Moves!
    Turn the tides of battle in your favor with flashy “Tactics” moves! You can impact all the enemies on screen with these Tactics. Using them in specific areas could even lead to discoveries such as hidden rooms or passages…?

• About “Heroes of the Three Kingdoms: Battle of Red Cliffs”
    In addition to the Story Mode, this title includes a mode for up to 4 players with local and online co-op, “Heroes of the Three Kingdoms: Battle of Red Cliffs.”
    Conquer a total of 10 stages where powerful bosses await, while working together at times, and competing at others. There’s a lot to delve into, from turning friendly fire on or off, to finding hidden stages.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reminder that TMNT: Shredder's Revenge came out today!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I got in the first 8 stages before work and it's good, folks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does the turtle game stack up to SoR4?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My very early impression is that it’s a bit more button mashy + less technical than SOR4 but still feels very fluid and fun. Animations and humor are on-point. Seems more built for co-op, it gets pretty crazy with 2/3 more players.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Super early impressions from first 2 stages as Splinter:

Seems to focus heavily on crowd management, game throws a lot of enemies at you and they move and strike at you fairly quickyl so its easy to get tagged if you're not paying attention

Sorta dumb/irritating that if you wind up for a heavy attack by holding x that all the enemies just freeze and won't come near you like, forever as far as I can tell

Game is gorgeous, music absolutely slaps

Trying to play this on an Xbox dpad loving sucks and I'm going to bust out either my arcade stick or a gamepad with a proper dpad tomorrow to play more.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

exquisite tea posted:

My very early impression is that it’s a bit more button mashy + less technical than SOR4 but still feels very fluid and fun. Animations and humor are on-point. Seems more built for co-op, it gets pretty crazy with 2/3 more players.

That was always the case, even in the TMNT/TMNT-Turtles-in-time age. Compared to, say, Final Fight and Streets of Rage, where player characters were fairly distinct and you got a mix of weak mooks and tougher Andore-type bruisers, Konami's TMNT games threw lots and lots of cannon fodder at you and the differences between the characters were always much less pronounced, mostly differing in power and reach, not in fighting style the way Blaze and Max from SOR do. So in that way, they mimmicked the originals pretty well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Played a bit of April and Leo and April is much better. April slams the foot and then takes a snapshot at the end. drat.

It would be good to know what the difficulty is when you join on someone. I imagine everyone does casual since each character starts at level 0 and it is release day.

There is a quest system that is barely explained and every host except one has ignored it. I don't think I get points for it so I may as well host all my games, so everyone can learn about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

I've been completely prepared for less technical than sor4 and that's fine for a turtles game imo

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Played through TMNT with a few buddies. We did it on the middle difficulty and it seemed to be a pushover with 3 or 4 players. Does it scale at all?

Soundtrack slaps and I laughed very hard at the second to last boss. Cool that we got the OG turtles back for the voices.

Cross platform joining seems to be a hot mess but eventually we got it to work... kinda.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I played through the first two levels solo and I feel like I want to change to the hard mode. Still real good, if not as technical as SoR4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've cleared through all of Arcade mode as April and Raph now, and drat April rules. Insanely good DP and divekick, EZ wall combos.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really like TMNT. It’s very fun, colorful, and yes, easier than sor4.

I think sor4 is probably the better game technically, but tmnt is the more fun game, if that makes sense

Also the art style on tmnt is really what they should have went with for sor4. As time goes on, it’s art style grates on me more and more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hate the fake processing limited art style of TMNT and similar games in general while I love SOR4's art. I can cop it in TMNT because it looks like turtles in time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shredder's Revenge hews so closely to Turtles in Time it could be mistaken for a direct sequel. Which is a good thing. It rules.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SOR4's pencil-drawn artstyle is incredible but I think TMNT ultimately made the right call just lifting from Turtles in Time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a way to be able to make more grabs? I don't know how to throw enemies even after seeing the tutorial.
They should have made you do the tutorial instead of showing it. This is the biggest issue I had so far with the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You just get near a guy and you grab em. It's kinda weird and I do wish it were a button.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Walk straight up or down into the bad guy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Played some 6p multiplayer with pubbies on Tmnt and it was a lot of fun, although it gets pretty hectic at times and it gets difficult to keep track on your character with so much poo poo going on the screen. I don't know how much staying power the multiplayer is going to have before the population vanishes completely, so better get as many games as posible now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've decided to be extremely late to the party with SOR4 instead of being a cool kid and playing TMNT like everyone else

I'm pretty new to beat 'em ups. I used to rent them all the time when I was a kid but never got very far and it appears I have not gotten any better at them. Any tips to avoid damage? I try to focus on using up and down movement and trying to keep enemies staggered but I haven't quite gotten the timing down yet. I'm also not quite sure how to consistently land grabs. (Also is there an SOR4 character who'd be a good choice for a beginner, or is it just "pick whoever looks cool?" I've been doing my first playthrough as Cherry.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most important beginner advice for SOR4 is "use specials." Don't be afraid of the health cost, don't hesitate to spam your special 3-4 times if you think you can get away with it, if the bad guys can't hit back because they're all dead then it was a judicious use of your skills. Think of green health as staggering the damage you would have otherwise taken if you just stood there and tried to punch. Make use of your blitz attacks (forward forward punch) as they have i-frames on startup (but high recovery, usually). Air specials also give you immunity and will crush any aerial attack like the dropkick ladies. The other concepts that are important to learn early are staggering and enemy stacking. You don't want to unload your full combo chain on dudes as soon as they come at you. Instead you kind of want to time it so all the bad guys approach from one side, in one stack that's easy to hit. It's difficult to explain but with practice you'll get better at staggering your combo chain so that more enemies will stack up on each other.

For good beginner characters I recommend Adam or Blaze. They're well-rounded characters with good damage and very powerful tools from neutral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u7CXLWbT7w

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Harrow posted:

I've decided to be extremely late to the party with SOR4 instead of being a cool kid and playing TMNT like everyone else

I'm pretty new to beat 'em ups. I used to rent them all the time when I was a kid but never got very far and it appears I have not gotten any better at them. Any tips to avoid damage? I try to focus on using up and down movement and trying to keep enemies staggered but I haven't quite gotten the timing down yet. I'm also not quite sure how to consistently land grabs. (Also is there an SOR4 character who'd be a good choice for a beginner, or is it just "pick whoever looks cool?" I've been doing my first playthrough as Cherry.)

Yeah, Cherry is one of the more technical characters in the roster and not one I'd recommend to beginners since she needs to rack up her combos in order to kill stuff. Like mentioned, Adam and Blaze are probably the most beginner friendly, with Blaze edging out Adam IMHO. She has a strong blitz that can hit prone enemies, her forward special is a good way to clear out a crowd in front of you, she moves relatively quickly and you can use her air special to very quickly move around the screen if you need to close the distance.

Landing grabs is usually just a matter of walking into your enemy, though you always want to walk into your enemy from a vertical or diagonal angle in order to avoid them punching you in the face first. Enemies will never grab you first unless they're flashing red. Focussing on up and down movement is good. If an enemy is walking up to you, quickly walking up/down and then walking back once they've finished their attack is a good way to avoid damage and counter. Also, throw enemies into each other. You're invulnerable as long as the throw/slam animation is active, you'll damage and knock down other enemies and you can use your throw to ensure that all enemies are on the same side of you, rather than on all sides. Crowd control is key.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Decided to play solo since the netcode is bad. It didn't save my control scheme either, so I started a round with nothing working and no one even moving. I did get points from the background characters and just need to find a few random collectibles to help my other level 0 guys.
It certainly plays much more strategic when alone and bosses require some very thorough pattern recognition and timing to cut and run. Awfully nice that multiple boss fights allow infighting. Six hours of play and still at mission 12. I'll have the early stages memorized by the time people start bringing in their leveled characters.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

Up and down is key as a basic way to avoid damage everything pretty much approaches laterally so once you figure that out you're set in a huge way. What people have said cover it pretty well.

Blaze is my favorite still and she's very easy to pick up and play but Cherry is super neat. I wouldn't worry about the difficulty and use who you want, you'll get better with practice anyway. Cherry has auto-run as will some characters you unlock later, which is nice considering how slow everyone else moves. Adam does get a dash which helps too. Only thing be careful with Cherry's blitz since it can launch you off-stage into holes which is annoying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Jumping makes you briefly invincible. If you're about to take a hit you can neutral jump through their attack and land with a full punish.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Turtles might end up being my GOTY this year. I'm not even joking. So much fun and nostalgia.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Walla posted:

Turtles might end up being my GOTY this year. I'm not even joking. So much fun and nostalgia.

Same here, its fairly easy, but its also cathartic just plowing through foot soldiers.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Same here, its fairly easy, but its also cathartic just plowing through foot soldiers.

As soon as the intro hit I was instantly 9 years old and watching the show after school. Plus my son loves it and he knows nothing about the turtles. It rules.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for all the SOR4 advice everyone. I got to stage 7 with Blaze but got owned by the Estel + Commissioner fight and decided to take a break before I get back at it. Something that keeps loving me up is when I try to go for a jump kick but an enemy just smacks me out of the sky and I'm having a hard time learning when I should or shouldn't jumping attack.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

Thanks for all the SOR4 advice everyone. I got to stage 7 with Blaze but got owned by the Estel + Commissioner fight and decided to take a break before I get back at it. Something that keeps loving me up is when I try to go for a jump kick but an enemy just smacks me out of the sky and I'm having a hard time learning when I should or shouldn't jumping attack.

Those are the bald dudes with glasses. They will always uppercut you out of a jump attack. Not all enemies do that but they're specifically anti-air. You'll get used to the patterns in due time and with more play.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
also the shirtless dudes with their hands in their pockets. some of these mooks you just can't jump around or they smack you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Those are the bald dudes with glasses. They will always uppercut you out of a jump attack. Not all enemies do that but they're specifically anti-air. You'll get used to the patterns in due time and with more play.

Oh not just them, I think someone had already told me those guys are anti-air. Sometimes the Garnet type enemies (the muscle ladies) seem to bust out a super fast kick when I try to go in with a rush attack or jump kick and wreck me and I never really know when that's about to happen. Or the kicking guys who keep their hands in their pockets.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Most of the time a simple neutral jump is enough to counter any aerial attack. Blaze has a really good air special because it's invulnerable and you can use it twice to change directions midair. As for Estel on Stage 7, you can grab her own grenades with B and throw them back at her.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

Oh not just them, I think someone had already told me those guys are anti-air. Sometimes the Garnet type enemies (the muscle ladies) seem to bust out a super fast kick when I try to go in with a rush attack or jump kick and wreck me and I never really know when that's about to happen. Or the kicking guys who keep their hands in their pockets.

Garnet you need to approach carefully. I let them attack first and just move out of the way before beating them up. The kickers are annoying but a similar strategy works on the strongest of them. Again they all attack in lateral movement (one of the fat dudes does do vertical rolls, so he's a pain), so just moving on the y axis saves your skin a ton.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Today was rough with the disconnects. Visiting the quest guys cleared my group each time. Found a friend to play with and Chrome Dome managed to become invincible to all my attacks and my friend was dead, forcing me to quit. Splinter certainly has a good fighting style and Mike is fun to play with as well. Leo just sucks. Everyone hit the level 2 benchmark and now I just need the game to work with me for the last missions.

Looking at the dev gameplay video and the Rat King hardlocked the game when they beat him.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 18, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there no way to change the difficulty in Story Mode once you've started? I want to bump things up to Gnarly but I also don't wanna lose all my character progress.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

exquisite tea posted:

Is there no way to change the difficulty in Story Mode once you've started? I want to bump things up to Gnarly but I also don't wanna lose all my character progress.

I believe starting a new game gives you the opportunity to either discard or keep all your levels. You will lose all your collectibles and level achievements though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How's netcode on the turtles? I stopped bothering all my friends to play SoR4 because the netcode is absolutely god loving awful in that game.