Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Am I understanding this right?

What’s likely to happen is that Mercedes and the other bouncy cars have to have their entire underbody redone and it will require testing in the wind tunnel to find out what works to stop it.

Which could take weeks or longer, and until then they have to raise their ride height and lose a ton of downforce and probably a second+ per lap?

LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I am extremely here for backmarker Mercedes.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

a pipe smoking dog posted:

They should bring back mass dampers, active suspension, traction control, Basically as much poo poo as they can.

Just make these cars loving insane.

For sure. Fun fact: Indycar solves porpoising by using mass dampers (possibly amongst other things). They also have rules where you lose your fastest lap(s) in qualifying if you cause a red or yellow flag

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

Frog International Assistance

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

opposable thumbs.db posted:

For sure. Fun fact: Indycar solves porpoising by using mass dampers (possibly amongst other things). They also have rules where you lose your fastest lap(s) in qualifying if you cause a red or yellow flag

That's a great rule F1 should adopt it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Am I understanding this right?

What’s likely to happen is that Mercedes and the other bouncy cars have to have their entire underbody redone and it will require testing in the wind tunnel to find out what works to stop it.

Which could take weeks or longer, and until then they have to raise their ride height and lose a ton of downforce and probably a second+ per lap?

LMAO

They probably know exactly what the answer is right now but it's a quarter second slower per lap.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Won't they just implement a minimum ride height?

The bouncing stops if they raise the car, but no one wants to do that as they lose performance relative to the other teams

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Won't they just implement a minimum ride height?

The bouncing stops if they raise the car, but no one wants to do that as they lose performance relative to the other teams

Right now it seems possible to design a car that is fast, low, and doesn't bounce too much.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The skid plate limits certainly suggests a ride height thing anyway

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It's pretty apt for FIA to implement a series of bullshit rules rather than allowing modern suspension tech on their top spec.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

That's a great rule F1 should adopt it.

Watched Indycar for the first time in my life on Sunday because it was at Road America and there a bunch of things F1 could adopt.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

They probably know exactly what the answer is right now but it's a quarter second slower per lap.

I guess everyone did see the floor of the RB18 in Monaco didn’t they, when Cheka’s had to be winched off the track

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I get the feeling he'd like nothing better than to go gently caress off to Whistler and snowboard for the rest of his life if it wasn't for Big Lawrence.

I've had that feeling for a while tbh. He seems like he wouldn't mind being a failson that goes surfing or snowboarding all the time but in his defense he does seem to put the work in to be a competent midfield binman

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Well, so long Mercedes-Binz!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This weekend it’s time for the sandbags to come off for real!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MrMojok posted:

I guess everyone did see the floor of the RB18 in Monaco didn’t they, when Cheka’s had to be winched off the track
It's not the floor, it's the suspension.
Ironically, last year Merc proved suspension that reacted differently based on the car's speed was legal. RBR took their concept, flipped it, and have suspension that's stiffer the more load is on it.
They were bouncing everywhere in Bahrain testing, brought in the new suspension and they've hardly bounced since.

The whole paddock know this, but it's cheaper to do performative chiropractic dancing than it is to certify test and install a new suspension design, which is why we're getting a whinge siren instead.

The FIA statement should be read as "you will not make your car bounce the driver to death to gain a tenth" and the irony of porpoising now very soon having rules against it because of the whining is just a hilarious backfire.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 17, 2022

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Rhopunzel posted:

in anticipation of canada, never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV3GKVxBkjU

You could argue that Sato passing Alonso there cost Alonso the 2007 World Title.

I'm not saying you should as I don't remember where they finished at the end of the race, but you could!

Also the best commentary was from the Indy 500 for Sato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOdeh0Pu_U

I cant find the 2012 commentary where he takes the lead on the final lap and crashes :(

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Serious question, has Max ever hinted at wanting to drive for any other team (Ferrari) in the past?

Just wondering if he would go the Seb route of dominating for a few years, have an off season and switch teams.

I don't see him having the same redemption as Seb though.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Custard Undies posted:

Serious question, has Max ever hinted at wanting to drive for any other team (Ferrari) in the past?

Just wondering if he would go the Seb route of dominating for a few years, have an off season and switch teams.

I don’t think so. He always stated he is happy at RBR and in it for the long haul.

The only thing that got close was in 2017 when the Renault engine was making GBS threads the bed and he reiterated that the team really needs to fix the reliability issues. That had a vaguely implied “or else” sound to it. But nothing serious as far as I’m aware.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Khablam posted:

It's not the floor, it's the suspension.
Ironically, last year Merc proved suspension that reacted differently based on the car's speed was legal. RBR took their concept, flipped it, and have suspension that's stiffer the more load is on it.
They were bouncing everywhere in Bahrain testing, brought in the new suspension and they've hardly bounced since.

Hmm, interesting! I wasn’t aware of the suspension.

This was what I was thinking of and just now found this article where they talk about the known differences between the floors of the RB18 and the F1-75:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...qBebMJPZqF.html

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

How Passione (R) can Ferrari fit into the cars now the whole thing looks like a washout? No overheating at least one would imagine...

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Max would crumble at another team, without Horner following him around catching his nuggets of poop with his mouth and telling him what a big brave boy he is.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LMFAO, this is truly the snarkiest of threads.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Max would crumble at another team, without Horner following him around catching his nuggets of poop with his mouth and telling him what a big brave boy he is.

It's amazing he can speak so clearly from the pit will during every session.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Max almost signed as a Merc junior before they offered him the Toro Rosso seat. Ferrari and iirc Sauber where also interested.

He seems set for life at RB now though.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Khablam posted:

and have suspension that's stiffer the more load is on it.

this is true of every suspension

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zedd posted:

Max almost signed as a Merc junior before they offered him the Toro Rosso seat. Ferrari and iirc Sauber where also interested.

He seems set for life at RB now though.

I also hope he serves life

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ArmZ posted:

this is true of every suspension

Not really, you can have both linear and progressive suspension systems (from my experience with MTB at least)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
if theyre worried about costs just go back to leaf springs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd love to see someone build a car to modern F1 rules with a beam axle

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Lots of rain in Mtl. There's been a big system moving through last 24h

maybe a repeat of Spa '21 after not having this race for 2 fuckin years

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

SocksAndSandals posted:

That would be hilarious. :xd:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Custard Undies posted:

That would be hilarious. :xd:

It would be so funny

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phwoar George to qualify P2 again

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SocksAndSandals posted:

Weather’s actually been pretty mild and consistent in this region this year, I wouldn’t bet on much fun. Gonna be chilly though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SocksAndSandals posted:

lafiti in the points 2022 LETS GO

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Custard Undies posted:

it seems like if you’re the #1 driver at red bull it’s a pretty loving good gig, and if you’re #2 then you get told to eat poo poo and smile because it’s better than nothing

max would have to do badly one season and a young upstart would have to do extremely well to change that dynamic, and it seems like red bull is more than happy to keep checo and max together for as long as checo’s ego can handle it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bold prediction: the Wall of Champions gets back to business this weekend.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

it seems like if you’re the #1 driver at red bull it’s a pretty loving good gig, and if you’re #2 then you get told to eat poo poo and smile because it’s better than nothing

sucks for Max, but hey, team orders are team orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://i.imgur.com/L1FXryQ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/VA3XsFD.mp4