Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flame of ambition status: meagre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ER's not nearly that bad but trying to solo melee bosses can feel pretty overwhelming and while you certainly don't have to do that, using summons and spells often feels like you're not really engaging them at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I honestly think Elden Ring's endgame enemies/bosses could stand to do a bit less damage. The balance is pretty good for most of the game IMO, it just spikes a bit too hard at endgame. Maybe 20% less than they currently do or something like that. I think the boss design is actually really good, they just hit hard enough that you can't really afford to gently caress up and it can make learning them frustrating if you don't want to use spirits.

That said I know there have been some tweaks, especially to bosses with more than one enemy in the fight, so maybe things feel a bit better now. I haven't been back for the last couple patches.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

From is really good at making encounters that say: "Go do this," or "Learn to do this"

Sekiro has an enemy called Seven Spears Ashina whose sweeps are basically un-dodgeable. He is meant to teach you that anything without the red symbol can be parried, even if it doesn't look visually like you should be able to parry it; up to and including giant spears, poop, and guns.

Margit is that, but the lesson isn't "parry this, idiot" it's "go explore, idiot"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wuggles posted:

Margit is that, but the lesson isn't "parry this, idiot" it's "go explore, idiot"

It's actually just to remember that hugging the rear end in a top hat is always the correct strategy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

I honestly think Elden Ring's endgame enemies/bosses could stand to do a bit less damage. The balance is pretty good for most of the game IMO, it just spikes a bit too hard at endgame. Maybe 20% less than they currently do or something like that. I think the boss design is actually really good, they just hit hard enough that you can't really afford to gently caress up and it can make learning them frustrating if you don't want to use spirits.

That said I know there have been some tweaks, especially to bosses with more than one enemy in the fight, so maybe things feel a bit better now. I haven't been back for the last couple patches.

this is actually them balancing the insane levelling 80% of the player ebase does in the other games where tehy just pumped vit and had gigantic hp bars. as someone who played correctly in those games and focused on comb at stat and stam the damage balance felt exactly the same as the older games as the increased length of the game means you put points into vit eventually no matter what. from has done it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Towards the end of the game it definitely feels like From thought the only way to counter the bullshit available by then was to have everything kill you in a couple of hits but tbh all that really did was level the playing field, unless you were doing solo melee only no ashes. In which case rip.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
some people simply don't have what it takes and that's okay that they don't get to play the best game ever made

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Simone Magus was a poster people thought was you

yes, i see that now. this is definitely a cool and useful use of everyone's time. it's definitely not stupid and weird to get off on torturing me, even after i've actually mellowed out. it's so fuckin amazing that people used to constantly be like "dude precision nobody specifically dislikes you or has it in for you, just chill and be cool and everything will be fine"

so i stop posting for like.... 16 months? a long rear end time! and i'm like "hey you know what, maybe some of the people on SA feel like i do. you know, we're all getting old and will probably be dead very actually soon, so maybe we can just LMAO and help each other through life, you dig? so i guess i can post again, it's fine. it won't be at all mentally unhealthy for me."

and i post in GBS for like... 6 months without incident. but as soon as i dare to post in Game Chat, here we go again!

this is fun, right?! THIS IS REALLY FUN!!!!!!!

god. gently caress all the way off. not you specifically, Rarity, you've always been fine. just... whoever the gently caress can't even PM me their grievances and has to get off on literally torturing someone who is not mentally very well

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

Towards the end of the game it definitely feels like From thought the only way to counter the bullshit available by then was to have everything kill you in a couple of hits but tbh all that really did was level the playing field, unless you were doing solo melee only no ashes. In which case rip.

I was able to do this to Malekith but not Malenia. Then I pulled my boy The Slime out and beat the game because the final boss bugged out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the key to Elden Ring is to never, ever follow the golden trace from a site of grace. There is an enormous amount of world to be explored and you don't have to confront any story bosses until you're good and ready. I killed Margit in 2 attempts because I was taking off huge chunks of his health, and I was taking huge chunks of his health off because I had done most of Limgrave, Caelid, Weeping Peninsula, Siofra River, their sub-dungeons, and a bunch of other minor areas. I didn't go to Stormveil until I had literally run out of other places to go

Sakurazuka posted:

They actually thought the only way was to give everyone health-based gimmicks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

i did solo melee only no ashes and it felt fine the entire way through. the last run of bosses is sekiro tier god like and destroy any souls boss. if u are levelling vit above "can tank 2 boss hits" in other souls games you are playing them OBJEctively WRong

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

wuggles posted:

I was able to do this to Malekith but not Malenia. Then I pulled my boy The Slime out and beat the game because the final boss bugged out

That happened to me too. The second phase just stayed there unmoving while i beat it to death.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

addendum the only bad boss in the back hjalf of the game is malenia because she is too easy due to being staggered by a feather

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I leveled vit in Sekiro.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm excited to play Neon White tonight, and TMNT: Shredder's Revenge tomorrow.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Andrast posted:

That happened to me too. The second phase just stayed there unmoving while i beat it to death.

:hfive:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

addendum the only bad boss in the back hjalf of the game is malenia because she is too easy due to being staggered by a feather

Yeah I thought Gael was way harder

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm excited to spend the rest of the day literally loving upset over stupid forum bullshit that i voluntarily exposed myself again to and that nobody actually gives a poo poo about except me

i sincerely hope you're happy, whoever you are. whoever dumb loving shitbag you are who can't even PM me whatever your GOD drat HELL rear end loving poo poo PROBLEM IS

like yeah, you win. you upset me, and that's hilarious. you literally win. i lose. that's so cool. you made someone feel like poo poo. that rules. lmao. so epic. so much win. gently caress YOU

precision fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 17, 2022

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'll also probably play some more Tekken and Snowrunner this weekend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only boss that bugged out for me was Ulcerated Tree Spirit but it did so so consistently that it happened two or three times. Froms fault for reusing that fight 20 times I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sakurazuka posted:

The only boss that bugged out for me was Ulcerated Tree Spirit but it do so so consistently that it happened two or three times. Froms fault for realising that fight 20 times I guess.

At least it won't walk out of the map anymore

Usually

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

this weekend I'm gonna play

NEON WHITE
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: SHREDDER'S REVENGE
GUILTY GEAR STRIVE
SNOWRUNNER

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to play Dragon's Dogma and see if I get around to playing the expansion for once

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I'm gonna go iRacing this weekend in my Global Mazda MX-5 Cup car at the Tsukuba 2000 Circuit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Stux is posting in the chat thread again. Nature is healing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want to say I'll play Omori this weekend but I just realised the new version of PSO 2 is available on Xbox so I'll probably be playing that garbage for a while.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Playing TMNT last night with my wife, I discovered she has only two moods when it comes to video games:

1) I'm terrible at this oh god where am I which one is me
2) I WILL PUNCH YOU ALL BACK TO HELL, MY RAGE IS MADE MANIFEST

basically changing it up every minute or so

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I wish I knew how to play Dragon's Dogma, as weird as that sounds. I always end up a few hours in and in some situation I feel like I cannot get out of.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I've done an hour or so of Dragon's Dogma two or three times and always bounce off shortly after pawns are introduced. Really need to give that game a fair shake

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wuggles posted:

this weekend I'm gonna play

NEON WHITE
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: SHREDDER'S REVENGE
GUILTY GEAR STRIVE
SNOWRUNNER

I'm going to play one of these, also

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wanted to play Salt and Sacrifice, but I'm not really having a good time

It badly needs a map

It badly needs better fast travel

It badly needs this boss to stop instakilling me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's bad and looks like poo from a butt

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Looper posted:

I'm going to play one of these, also

You play Snowrunner too?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Neon White on the switch and an Omori on the xbox, Gamer® weekend starts . . . soonish

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Neon White and TMNT... thank god the endless Season of No Games is over

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
I kinda forgot about ER. I tapped out after getting into the capital and realizing I wasn't having fun. I'm playing Dark Souls and the bosses are playing Sekiro.

So fine, gently caress it, I closed it and booted up Sekiro. :colbert:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I thought Elden Ring was very good, but holy poo poo it's just so goddamn long!

I usually don't have the best stamina when it comes to souls games, and I ended up still playing ER way longer than the others and only just got to the capital before giving up. :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

You play Snowrunner too?

haha y-yeah i love snow and also especially uhhh running!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mountaintops of giants is way better if you keep it in nighttime. lovely ambiance