Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Sapozhnik posted:

I've been enjoying this series a lot but it feels like it's slowly going from being an excellent comedy to being a full-on drama with a couple of gags thrown in here and there. To the point where I'm groaning any time Ishigami is on screen because the dude is such a blatant author self-insert.

I like Ishigami, but yeah I kind of agree that his presence is kind of smothering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ishigami owns

Also the end of each Kaguya season so far has gone heavier into the drama towards the end (fireworks, sports festival, now the culture festival), without the big payoffs the comedy would get stale pretty quick.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah and considering the moment we seem to be building to (it would be insane if this season doesn't end with them together), the drama feels pretty earned

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ishigami is the kid you either were or knew in HS circa ages 15-17 who thought being quiet and aloof made them seem cool when it actually just made them a creepy weirdo. Even nailed the whole "white knights for the honor of girls who didn't ask but can't actually talk to them, and is extremely disdainful of 'normies' in actual relationships" stuff. It's great and I absolutely could not have watched this show when I actually was in HS because I would have been very mad that Ishigami - who is definitely Just Like Me™ is the constant butt of jokes and his insecurities are actually exposed and explored.

I will say he has definitely gotten the most overt character development among the main cast. Everybody else has developed too obviously but it's been more slow and subtle vs Ishigami having to directly confront his past and learn not to shut the world out.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Even aside from his personal story arc, I like Ishigami for the opportunities he provides for both Shirogane and Shinomiya to show off how they are around other people (turns out they're pretty great), and I'd probably like them a lot less if they hadn't done something as remarkable as helping an incel gamer find redemption

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Fujiwara continuing to faceplant continues to bring a smile to my face. Every attempt to libel Shirogane only ended up raising his stature in her sisters eyes. Have we seen Moeha before? I like how she's also a little off. Kaguya's 180 on her was also great.

Ishigami you beautiful bastard you might just magoo your way through this!!! Don't you dare stumble!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Raenir Salazar posted:

Fujiwara continuing to faceplant continues to bring a smile to my face. Every attempt to libel Shirogane only ended up raising his stature in her sisters eyes. Have we seen Moeha before? I like how she's also a little off. Kaguya's 180 on her was also great.

Ishigami you beautiful bastard you might just magoo your way through this!!! Don't you dare stumble!

We've met Moeha twice before I think. She came out on the shopping trip where Kaguya and Kei met, and was talking about how she loves Kei so much she wants to keep her a prisoner in her basement. She was also helping on the stall at Kei's culture festival.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

a pipe smoking dog posted:

We've met Moeha twice before I think. She came out on the shopping trip where Kaguya and Kei met, and was talking about how she loves Kei so much she wants to keep her a prisoner in her basement. She was also helping on the stall at Kei's culture festival.

:stare:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And in this episode Moeha wanted to see Kei's reaction of Moeha loving Shirogane. As you do.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It's been confirmed that this season is getting 13 eps so I'm feeling more confident we'll get an ice queen Kaguya cliff hanger instead of a neat happy ending

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao Ishigami confessing without even realizing it because he just thought he was doing something nice and getting Tsubame the cookie she wanted was great.

I also appreciate that all the Fujiwara's are low key psycopaths.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Descent into gore, averted.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sydin posted:

lmao Ishigami confessing without even realizing it because he just thought he was doing something nice and getting Tsubame the cookie she wanted was great.

I also appreciate that all the Fujiwara's are low key psycopaths.

Chika herself actually seems kinda well adjusted in comparison, she's spoiled, selfish, and has a concerning lack of ethics but I think she knows kidnapping is wrong! :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Chika herself actually seems kinda well adjusted in comparison, she's spoiled, selfish, and has a concerning lack of ethics but I think she knows kidnapping is wrong! :v:

She's okay with a little kidnapping. As a treat. Remember that she's also a member of the TG club who're notorious troublemakers and very much like this:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I just realised no one mentioned the cameo by Max Headroom yet, which was not a reference I would have predicted seeing in 2022.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I just realised no one mentioned the cameo by Max Headroom yet, which was not a reference I would have predicted seeing in 2022.

With a little not-quite Art of Noise for the music and everything

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The music in the anime is truly amazing and I'm worried it's going to cause rights issues in the future.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I enjoyed the Detective Conan-rear end music at the end. A great mystery unfolds

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I enjoyed the Detective Conan-rear end music at the end. A great mystery unfolds

Love Detective Chika is on the case!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xelkelvos posted:

Love Detective Chika is on the case!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think the Dining Philosophers Problem reference in the rap battle episode was the weirdest deep cut they've done so far (they even copied the diagram from the Wikipedia page wholesale)

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Looking like next week's episode will be an hour long finale. I can't wait.

Edit: the version with the episode information for the Japanese readers.

Eyre Kneed fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 17, 2022

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This poo poo is going to go crazy

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Damnit I'm still 10 episodes behind

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Still not enough time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The world suddenly becoming a PS1 era horror game was amazing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I bet the manga is good, great even, but good god this production is next level and I hope beyond all reason that they keep it coming

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1537878565043073033?t=nz1zFrYaQVlAsxQ4tEP_zw&s=19

fairlight
May 18, 2007

a kitten posted:

I bet the manga is good, great even, but good god this production is next level and I hope beyond all reason that they keep it coming

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1537878565043073033?t=nz1zFrYaQVlAsxQ4tEP_zw&s=19

I’m really, really glad I read the manga after season 1 because I get to see what an incredible treatment the adaptation is getting. It elevates the work in unexpected and hilarious ways and it doesn’t let up for a minute

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

a kitten posted:

The manga up to this point in the anime is excellent, one of my favorites, but I agree the anime adaptation somehow takes it even further. Great stuff. :3:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
God, the loving Resident Evil/Biohazard bit was perfect. Even Kaguya trying to run with tank controls and a fixed camera angle!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hold right to exit scene, new camera angle has you go right into a wall! Really a classic experience.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dang what an ending. The one hour finale is gonna be something.

M_Gargantua posted:

Hold right to exit scene, new camera angle has you go right into a wall! Really a classic experience.

Whoever pointed out that the series was written by a 30's millennial for 30's millennials was bang on, lmao.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
a loving Take On Me reference in 2022 good lord

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

a loving Take On Me reference in 2022 good lord

Would you say you don't know what you're to say? Will you say it anyway?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Still can't believe how good this show is, week after week

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chiasaur11 posted:

Would you say you don't know what you're to say? Will you say it anyway?

More like I'll be stumbling away.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

More like I'll be stumbling away.

Well, it's no better to be safe than sorry.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They really like stunt casting Deku (Justin Briner as the previous Prezident) against Bakugo's va (Clifford Chapin), huh?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 18, 2022

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Genuinely had to pause the episode after the first minute to deal with the Take On Me + Persona combo-punch. I can't recall another show that's made me consistently yell in surprise, and excitement, at the TV like this every week.

Haven't bought an anime box-set in a decade, but think this will be money well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Mine was the gag with Nagisa and Tsubassa in the last episode.
I saw it coming but it still loving winded me.

I also low key have two very good friends who'd absolutely do that and it slays me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 18, 2022