Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

torgo posted:

I have to wonder, how do you "kind of" fake a seizure? I feel like if you choose to fake a seizure for any situation less dire than "I'm being kidnapped at gunpoint and want to get passerby's attention" you really need to commit. Because if I ever caught someone faking a seizure to get out of a slightly uncomfortable social situation(especially one they were responsible for making uncomfortable), I'm pretty sure I would think that person is human trash. You gotta really sell it and be willing to deal with possible ER trip costs.

When people are abused by their family to the point of being concerned about the type of Disney party their having and how their family will take it, I'm sure that faking as seizure is a coping mechanism they developed as a young teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Invisible Clergy posted:

Come now, OP, I'm sure your sons can have very fulfilling careers as playable characters in the new "Killer Instinct" game, off-brand energy drinks, or as monster trucks. The possibilities are endless.

Train them to be a pro wrestling tag team :black101:

At least when the kids get bullied later dad has the excuse of "I didn't name them, that would've made me lovely & controlling :shrug:"

MisterOblivious posted:

I worked with a guy that was lactose intolerant and didn't give a single gently caress. Thank god I didn't work near him in the machine shop. He would eat a cheesy omelette every morning and just stink the gently caress out of his work area. He thought making GBS threads himself was loving hilarious and would regularly tell us about all the times he poo poo himself when he couldn't get to a toilet in time.

He thought that consuming lactose, knowing they he was lactose intolerant, and making GBS threads himself because of it was loving hilarious.

It was 100% preventable. He would rather poo poo his pants rather than stop eating dairy. This went on for the 6'ish years I worked there. It wasn't a one time thing.

I'll never understand people that intentionally put themselves through that kind of torture. Like, from all I've heard, lactose intolerance is super uncomfortable & can be hard on your system, this dude must be a butthole masochist or something.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think reddit's having some tech issues, their pages are full of identical repeated questions
But lol at submitting this one during their time of trouble:

I think we’ve reached peak AITA.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for telling my husband he can tell me where to eat when he pays the bills

quote:

So I (23f) got married to my husband (28m) May 14th. A few months ago he lost his job due to merging and hasn’t gotten a job since so I pay all the bills. It doesn’t really bother me, as we live in a house I own that I inherited from my grandmother.

A little backstory: I like eating in my bathtub. I had a rough childhood and the only good memories I have are in the safety of my tub so every now and then I will take a bath and have a drink and a snack, it’s very comforting. I know it’s strange but trauma does weird poo poo to you. I never leave any trash or waste or anything in the bathroom and he doesnt remember I do it unless he walks in on me.

I had a particularly rough day at work last night so when I got home I poured myself a glass of wine, grabbed a snack and went to take a nice relaxing bath when my husband comes in and takes my wine and snacks and tells me I can’t eat in the bathroom anymore and “Now that we’re married, you’re going to have to change this nasty habit of yours.”

I laughed at him thinking he was joking but when he started walking out I told him he can’t dictate what I do and to give me my stuff back because I want to relax.

He said “I won’t allow this nasty habit in my home.” This is where I may be the rear end in a top hat because I looked at him and said “Your house? Let’s make a deal, you can dictate where I eat when you pay all the bills.” Grabbed my wine glass from him and walked away.

Now he’s giving me the cold shoulder and hasn’t said a word to me since last night.

AITA?

More context: he hasn’t been looking for a job. He is trying to become a twitch streamer so he does that all day.

Dude's marriage is gonna be less successful than his new career

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

there was an update

[Update]My [23F] boyfriend [25 M] of 3 years has a problem while playing his video games.

LOL dude reinvented primal scream therapy, this time with video games. He is aware that it’s not something that should be inflicted on others and he isn’t directing his anger at anyone else. This is literally something that people do in therapy. It’s fine.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

keep punching joe posted:

Uncomfortably recent i.e. Not a WASP

White Anglo-Saxon Princess?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa. My spouse is doing a completely harmless behavior that doesn't bother anyone and helps her relax? Everything is cleaned up after and there's no evidence it ever even happened?

This will not stand

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

He was just doing a divorce speedrun for his Twitch viewers

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

therobit posted:

LOL dude reinvented primal scream therapy, this time with video games. He is aware that it’s not something that should be inflicted on others and he isn’t directing his anger at anyone else. This is literally something that people do in therapy. It’s fine.

You'd have a hard time finding a contemporary therapist who would agree with you on this point

Catharsis reinforces and increases the emotions that drive people to it. It's bad, if you want to manage your emotions you have to actually, you know, manage them. In therapy, I'd say, if you're at the point of screaming at video games

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'll never understand people that intentionally put themselves through that kind of torture. Like, from all I've heard, lactose intolerance is super uncomfortable & can be hard on your system, this dude must be a butthole masochist or something.

It varies to be sure based on the amount/quality of the milk in the food, but if that guy's doing it to the point that he is making GBS threads his pants on a regular basis then the transgression is the point.

The rule of thumb for me is usually "If I can taste the cheese/milk/butter than I probably don't want to be eating this. If there isn't enough of that for me to be able to discern based on taste/smell alone then I might be a little gassy but I'm not going to hate life for the next two days."

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Didn't they make tons and tons of merch for Isabela because she's the most classical Disney princess-like character in the movie, and they didn't realize Luisa would be so popular?

And what does "uncomfortably recent" mean?
[/q uote]

They did. And most of it is of Isabela before she reforms and makes up with Mirabel, too (which is another reason why the Isabela merch isn't as popular; the little girls who love princesses know a bully when they see one).

[quote="sullat" post="524228515"]
Guess I shouldn't be so surprised Isabella is popular, she is quite literally the golden child.

She's way less popular than Luisa and Mirabel, tbh. And even the kids who want Isabela merch are unhappy with what's on offer, because it's all of Isabela before she heals and makes up with Mirabel. They don't want Isa-the-bully, they want Isa who has learned to be okay with not being perfect and who is brightly coloured.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DandyLion posted:

Parent Of Swimmer?

Per the story, that should be Sinker

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ok so the actual story is whatever, dude's a worthless dicknose, hopefully it's not too late for an annulment, but I got thrown off at first by "I like to eat in the bathtub." I interpreted it at first that her usual mealtime plan is to take her plate up and then just cowering in the empty tub fully clothed to have your meatloaf or whatever.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mr. Lobe posted:

You'd have a hard time finding a contemporary therapist who would agree with you on this point

Catharsis reinforces and increases the emotions that drive people to it. It's bad, if you want to manage your emotions you have to actually, you know, manage them. In therapy, I'd say, if you're at the point of screaming at video games

This view of catharsis is far from universally accepted, and dude is literally intentionally doing this as a release. Per the OP, he does not have trouble managing his emotions in everyday life. He’s not hurting anyone and feels he derives some benefit from it, so what’s the problem?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
there are both healthy and unhealthy ways to cathart

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for humiliating my daughter in front of her boyfriend for controlling my life?

I mean every part of me thinks no one is this stupid and obtuse but....

Anyone got a link to this one? I can't find it anywhere.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

therobit posted:

This view of catharsis is far from universally accepted, and dude is literally intentionally doing this as a release. Per the OP, he does not have trouble managing his emotions in everyday life. He’s not hurting anyone and feels he derives some benefit from it, so what’s the problem?

Video game screamer identified

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Never trust a cathart

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tarkus posted:

When people are abused by their family to the point of being concerned about the type of Disney party their having and how their family will take it, I'm sure that faking as seizure is a coping mechanism they developed as a young teenager.

That's your read on anti-encanto mom??

DandyLion posted:

Never trust a cathart

catharto delenda est

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's your read on anti-encanto mom??

catharto delenda est

Yeah, she sounds like a nervous wreck.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Woodchip posted:

I am a 36 [M] dating a 34 [F]. How long before we start discussing how to combine our lives and start a family?

I am sort of a modern aristocrat. I come from a well-off family and I have many privileges.

I'm kind of a fail son though.

If you were a real aristocratic failson then your parents would have bought you a cavalry regiment to play with, you're just a dick.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

torgo posted:

I have to wonder, how do you "kind of" fake a seizure?

You just start drooling until they leave you alone

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Bramble posted:

You just start drooling until they leave you alone

Thats quite a power move tbqh

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

teen witch posted:

I have read this thrice and I feel like something is very missing

Not really? OP tells on herself for being a hoarder and clumsily engages in DARVO (deny, attack, reverse victim and offender) by calling her 17 year old daughter who depends on her for resources and holds no power over her "controlling." The house is definitely full of animal poo poo (but it's ok because OP can see the floor) which Abigail is the only one to clean, and literal garbage since OP has a habit of literally hoarding used napkins.
EDIT: wrong quote, ignore

torgo posted:

I have to wonder, how do you "kind of" fake a seizure? I feel like if you choose to fake a seizure for any situation less dire than "I'm being kidnapped at gunpoint and want to get passerby's attention" you really need to commit. Because if I ever caught someone faking a seizure to get out of a slightly uncomfortable social situation(especially one they were responsible for making uncomfortable), I'm pretty sure I would think that person is human trash. You gotta really sell it and be willing to deal with possible ER trip costs.
She is using "kind of" as a filler phrase and not as one that provides new information, the way bad people do when they want to downplay their responsibility for their actions (e.g. "I kind of crashed your car") She faked a seizure and apparently has a habit of doing this which is very on-brand for a character like this.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Anyone got a link to this one? I can't find it anywhere.

here you go

AITA for not wearing deodorant

quote:

I (17m) live with my mom (40f), and younger sister (6f). I don't wear deodorant or cologne because I don't like the way any of them smell. And generally, I smell pretty good. I shower thoroughly every other day.

Now, my little sister is very sensitive to smells. She can't even smell fish without gagging and crying, which I feel is slightly dramatic.

My mom told me two days ago that my sister has been complaining about how I smell. And when she confronted me, I said, "Little sister can deal with it, I smell just fine." Since then, my mom has been nagging me to go to the store and buy some scent less deodorant or something. Even my dad has begun to agree.

Basically, this has been an issue for the past two days. My family thinks I'm in the wrong, but my friends say I should continue sticking up for myself. I only think I might be the rear end in a top hat, because my sister IS very sensitive, and I love her. I think my family is, for their nagging. I can make my own decisions. So, Reddit, AITA?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 17, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

quote:

NTA. He doesn’t like eating in the tub? He doesn’t eat in the tub. As long as you clean up after yourself, he needs to look away and STFU.

Has he always been this controlling about things that don’t affect him at all?!?

OP posted:

No not really, not at all actually. Not until very recently

quote:

Since, oh, not long after May 14, by any chance?

OP posted:

Bingo

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Edit: ignore me, I'm stupid

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:monocle:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Not really? OP tells on herself for being a hoarder and clumsily engages in DARVO (deny, attack, reverse victim and offender) by calling her 17 year old daughter who depends on her for resources and holds no power over her "controlling." The house is definitely full of animal poo poo (but it's ok because OP can see the floor) which Abigail is the only one to clean, and literal garbage since OP has a habit of literally hoarding used napkins.

I was wrong, it was you who missed something

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

Is he just entirely unaware they make unscented deodorant? I am extremely allergic to basically every mainstream deodorant out there, and instead of going "Oh well", I went to the trouble of hunting down some that doesn't make my armpits burn with the fury of a thousand suns. I am wagering it would probably be less difficult hunting down one whose scent didn't bother him.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Invisible Clergy posted:

You're a teenage boy with raging hormones who showers every other day, you smell rank dude.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

National Buttermilk Biscuit day? What the hell am I missing?

vvv Ahhh, of course. I was expecting some political bullshit happened on that day to get him all pissed off or something.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 17, 2022

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rescue Toaster posted:

National Buttermilk Biscuit day? What the hell am I missing?

It's the day they got married

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

quantumwell posted:

You're a teenage boy with raging hormones who showers every other day, you smell rank dude.

Seriously. As the parent of a teenage boy, Undeodorized Teenage Boy Funk is up there in the Bad Smell Rankings. Even "Overdosed on Axe" is a step up.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Uncle Enzo posted:

Whoa. My spouse is doing a completely harmless behavior that doesn't bother anyone and helps her relax? Everything is cleaned up after and there's no evidence it ever even happened?

This will not stand

Reading Why Does He Do That was really insightful and demystifies a lot of this kind of abusive behaviour.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

im catharting right now

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ever catharted and a little catharsis comes out?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Never trust a cathart.

AITA for bringing my own dipping bowl to my coworkers party?

quote:

My coworker invited me to his NBA finals viewing party few days ago. He kept hyping up his wife's world famous bean dip. The thing is that I don't trust people washing their hands. The thought of people's unwashed hands touching the dip, even if it's just a half second scrape, makes me sick to my stomach. Germ from their private parts could be on the dip. You never know.

At parties, I bring my own bowl so I can put food in, especially dips before anyone gets their grubby hands on it. Nobody really cared. It's a small bowl, around 5 ounces.

So I went towards the bean dip with my bowl and started spooning the dip onto my bowl. My coworker saw me was like, "yoooo what the gently caress are you doing?". I explained the whole thing how I people sometimes don't wash their hands and their germs get on their food. He got very offended as if I am blaming him for not washing his hands. I told him I trust you, it's the other people. He got even madder saying everyone here washes their hands. But I don't know them as much as he does. After a few minutes he let it go and I was able to enjoy my bean dip.

I thought everything was cool. But today in the office, I find out he was poo poo talking me through other coworker. Apparently he was still made. But I think what I did was reasonable.

Reddit am I the rear end in a top hat?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
byo bowl is kind of weird, but also, who doesn't just set out bowls for people to load up themselves

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

byo bowl is kind of weird, but also, who doesn't just set out bowls for people to load up themselves

I hate to tell you this, but those bowls may have been touched by poopfingers too!!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hate to tell you this, but those bowls may have been touched by poopfingers too!!

shut the gently caress up man, don't give away the game!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah bringing your own bowl is weird but doesn't really make you an rear end in a top hat, but then going "oh yeah it's because I assume someone at your party is likely to have gone straight from fiddling their dick to sticking their fingers directly into the serving bowl" is absurdly ill mannered. "Oh, my knees hurt, this way I won't have to keep getting up" or like "it's a superstition thing I have, I gotta use my lucky dip bowl." Like literally anything to give it an air of deniability that you think someone's dipping their beans in the bean dip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Username/post combo. OP never touches his private parts.

AITA for using a menu hack?

quote:

Quick one here. Taco Bell charges $1.99 for chips and nacho cheese, however I discovered that a side of chips is $.85 and a side of nacho cheese is $.50, totaling $1.35. Sweet! So I started ordering them that way. After a few times of using my hack, the manager comes to the window and rather irritatedly informs me they will no longer be ringing it up for me that way. I ask why not, and she said I’m cheating the system and messing up her inventory. I said it can’t be dinging the inventory because both items are being keyed in the computer system. I’m not cheating, I discovered a hack and it’s on Taco Bell for overlooking it. She reiterated that they weren’t going to do it anymore, and I said ok but that’s really lame. I think that’s bs, but AITA?