Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

White House officials also fear there would be no way to prevent consumers from using them for purchases other than gasoline, according to another person familiar with the discussions.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
this is money for gas and gas only, don't you get it? you gotta make absolutely sure that it doesn't get used for anything else. in fact, this is more important than the gas money itself. i literally cannot get an erection unless i make absolutely sure not even one single person gets something they're not supposed to get

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Also, you better believe anyone who gets caught selling their rebate card for cash to buy food gets hit with federal felony charges

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'm still amazed at how trump just sent out checks and insisted that his signature was on it, which in democrats' mind invalidates any good it might have done because it's so un-decorous, and they legit believe that's also what everyone else believes

some byzantine means-tested gas subsidy scheme designed to be as opaque and infuriating to claim as possible? now that's what the people want!

anyway, i'm starting to think that things might not go so well for the democrats in 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/CortesSteve/sta...ingawful.com%2F

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Real "the US spent billions on a ballpoint pen for space and the Russians used pencils" energy on this one, but yes, the reason this happened as mentioned is that they started with the proposition that "this money is ONLY FOR GAS and if people can use it for other things we have failed"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lib and let die posted:

And during the few moments that we have left [...] We want to talk right down to earth in a language that everybody here can easily understand: the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'm still in awe that those fuckers somehow managed to convince themselves that going "well we meant $2000 total so that includes stuff that was already given to you earlier" after running ads featuring $2000 checks was probably fine. literally a week after the election if i remember right

how do you end up like that? i realize the actual dem leadership is various levels of senile or brain damaged, but what about the rank and file that go on twitter to explain how this is in fact good and is what reasonable people want?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The survey of 1,541 U.S. adults, which was conducted from June 10-13, found that if another presidential election were held today, more registered voters say they would cast ballots for Donald Trump (44%) than for Biden (42%) — even though the House Jan. 6 committee has spent the last week linking Trump to what it called a “seditious conspiracy” to overturn the 2020 election and laying the groundwork for possible criminal prosecution.

Since Biden took office, no previous Yahoo News/YouGov poll has shown him trailing Trump (though Biden’s most recent leads have been within the margin of error, like this one is for Trump). One year ago, Biden led Trump by 9 percentage points. In 2020, Biden won the White House by more than 7 million votes.

In recent days, a series of stories questioning whether Biden will run for reelection in 2024 — and quoting concerned Democratic sources — have surfaced in the press. The concern isn’t limited to party officials. Just 21% of Americans — down from 25% three weeks ago, and the lowest number to date — say Biden should run again. But perhaps more strikingly, a greater share of 2020 Biden voters now say he shouldn’t run again (40%) than say he should (37%). Last month, those numbers were reversed.

:fork:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'm still in awe that those fuckers somehow managed to convince themselves that going "well we meant $2000 total so that includes stuff that was already given to you earlier" after running ads featuring $2000 checks was probably fine. literally a week after the election if i remember right

how do you end up like that? i realize the actual dem leadership is various levels of senile or brain damaged, but what about the rank and file that go on twitter to explain how this is in fact good and is what reasonable people want?

If you post around on this very website, there are people who will explain without explaining that it makes complete sense

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

it's because they fundamentally despise poor people. and really, what are the poors gonna do about it, huh? voting is a sham, protesting is easily suborned and crushed with force, and no one bothers trying to assassinate officials any more. the dems don't care what happens in elections unless the money train stops, and also the money train shows no sign of stopping.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I will never understand the people who spend their free time defending a system that shits all over them. Some weird Stockholm Syndrome type poo poo.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

papa horny michael posted:

If you post around on this very website, there are people who will explain without explaining that it makes complete sense

are you telling me to read d&d? because i WILL report you for encouraging self-harm

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

modern day liberalism isn't actually about accomplishing anything, it's about libs want treats now and the ultimate treat is to be able to smugly look down on and berate their perceived inferiors

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bipartisanship Win: the dems successfully negotiate the $600 gas cards for drivers down to $800 gun cards for gunners, King Manchin "thrilled"

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

WampaLord posted:

I will never understand the people who spend their free time defending a system that shits all over them. Some weird Stockholm Syndrome type poo poo.

if they admit the load bearing illusions the rest of their worldview will tumble down and thats psychologically hard so its better to believe someone competent and responsible is looking out for your best interests

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
To get around inflation and the problem of people spending their money on the wrong stuff, why not just issue Gas Dollars which can only be used to pay for gas for consumers, but companies can exchange for regular dollars? You don't need fancy chips, just change the print on a regular paper dollar.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

fast cars loose anus posted:

Real "the US spent billions on a ballpoint pen for space and the Russians used pencils" energy on this one, but yes, the reason this happened as mentioned is that they started with the proposition that "this money is ONLY FOR GAS and if people can use it for other things we have failed"

But... what if you don't directly use gas. Why not help those people

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Just throw $X00 billion or whatever directly at the oil companies and say if you accept this money then the price of gas can't exceed $2/gallon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fast cars loose anus posted:

Actually, the US didn't develop a ballpoint pen for space. The Fisher Space Pen was developed independently and sold to NASA.

Besides using pencils in space is a very bad idea.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cut out the middle man of the consumer.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To get around inflation and the problem of people spending their money on the wrong stuff, why not just issue Gas Dollars which can only be used to pay for gas for consumers, but companies can exchange for regular dollars? You don't need fancy chips, just change the print on a regular paper dollar.

somebody who doesn't need gas might exchange those for regular dollars at say 90 cents to the dollar and then use the regular dollars to buy food or medicine

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
we should applaud the prius owning politicians more to encourage your average joes to buy a prius

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Actually, the US didn't develop a ballpoint pen for space. The Fisher Space Pen was developed independently and sold to NASA.

love to have shavings and eraser sheddings floating around

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dustcat posted:

somebody who doesn't need gas might exchange those for regular dollars at say 90 cents to the dollar and then use the regular dollars to buy food or medicine
that's illegal

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

You are correct, and I knew that, I was just invoking the legend for comparison

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Winifred Madgers posted:

Just throw $X00 billion or whatever directly at the oil companies and say if you accept this money then the price of gas can't exceed $2/gallon.

well it has to be phased in and non-binding because *mumble* so we're going to fork over the money, but we've secured a gentlemen's agreement that prices will go down so it's fine

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

hm, sounds like they should die to help the economy in these trying times

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Vim Fuego posted:

that's not what the discussion is about. the discussion is about helping with gas prices at the pump. do not ask questions or mention anything outside of that. you are doing a whataboutism right now

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

this is money for gas and gas only, don't you get it? you gotta make absolutely sure that it doesn't get used for anything else. in fact, this is more important than the gas money itself. i literally cannot get an erection unless i make absolutely sure not even one single person gets something they're not supposed to get

But that makes it not work!!!

that's not what the discussion is about. the discussion is about helping with gas prices at the pump. do not ask questions or mention anything outside of that. you are doing a whataboutism right now

The thing you described would make it not work!!!

The "demand" side of "supply and demand" is built on people spending money on X instead of Y. Creating a bunch of money that can only be spent on X isn't going to change that formula, so gas companies can just raise prices to absorb the extra money. If you want to give people money to defray gas costs, you have to allow them to choose to spend on other things or the money will just uselessly go to the gas company with no impact on anyone's lives.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Vim Fuego posted:

I’ll do you one better: we just won’t do anything.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

30.5 Days posted:

But that makes it not work!!!

The thing you described would make it not work!!!

The "demand" side of "supply and demand" is built on people spending money on X instead of Y. Creating a bunch of money that can only be spent on X isn't going to change that formula, so gas companies can just raise prices to absorb the extra money. If you want to give people money to defray gas costs, you have to allow them to choose to spend on other things or the money will just uselessly go to the gas company with no impact on anyone's lives.

whataboutism! WHATABOUTISM! I DECLARE WHATABOUTISM!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Rebate Cards Should Not Pay For Junk
By Moby

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

i've done some lib-splaining in the succ thread so i'll jump in

conservatives believe one day they will be the millionaires and/or don't care so long as the people below them get stepped on

pmc libs worship the system because being the right people with the right credentials is who they are so the system works for them (it just needs some tweaking around the edges!) so of course it's fine. the libs believe that they are the people who should run things and make the tough choices because they are the elite technocrats who went to the right schools and did a consulting stint at mckinsey before running for office. so it becomes team sports for them. it's like how when my baseball team signs a pitcher from another team, suddenly he's my favorite guy because gently caress you that's why

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

"imploding"

oh the naivety involved in such a loaded statement as if independents were unwavering in it instead of pity and disdain from their shrieking, hysterical democrat families and disgust from idiotic fascists

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

"Independents" usually means "conservatives that are huge pussies" so grain of salt but lmao these numbers, this accompanying picture

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Maya Fey posted:

Rebate Cards Should Not Pay For Junk
By Moby

Moby can get stomped by Obie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What if instead of spending money researching and disbursing gas rebate cards, the government spent that money on opening up cheap subsidized gas stations on the land it already owns using facilities it already has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
"nearly two-thirds of independents (64%) have an unfavorable opinion of Biden, and just 28% say they would vote for him over Trump."

:chaostrump: