Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I really like how a lot of the narrative describing young Arn is from the perspective of Arn himself; the great-and-mighty style is amazing and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

Too bad Val was away for 18 months.

(yeah, I know it was a year)
One baby takes 9 months, two babies take 18 months, perfectly sensible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hempuli posted:

I really like how a lot of the narrative describing young Arn is from the perspective of Arn himself; the great-and-mighty style is amazing and funny.

It's extremely good at deflating the 'epic prose' used in the very comic itself. It's tres good.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

You peeps better behave or I’ll balance my Ballard Street posts with some Cringechrist Nancy content. You’d never want to hear Beach Boys ever again.

Why not post Oh Baby and really slam the brakes on the thread

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kennel posted:

Too bad Val was away for 18 months.

(yeah, I know it was a year)

shes a powerful sorcerer if she wanted it to happen it'll happen ok

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Giant Ethicist posted:

Rubbers / galoshes are light rubber boots that you pull over your regular shoes to keep them dry.

Ever since I read Ramona when I was a kid I wondered what the hell kind of gumboots you can drag on over your shoes, apparently without ruining them, and still walk around without them coming off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

I'm enjoying Minimalist Nancy and Sluggo on the wall there.

The Family Circus

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 8, 1934)

Peanuts (June 20, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean gives us the one thing we absolutely never asked for.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff gives us some practical advice.

Rip Haywire

Comics Kingdom didn't post the next Thimble Theater yet, but here it is anyway. (January 17, 1939)

Out Our Way (February 9-11, 1939)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Also, low-hanging fruit. Or ... was this the actual joke? I've got a cold and can't tell anymore.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Autumn Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

Edit: I just noticed the "Two Weeks Later" in clouds after posting!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Is there a reason that she hasn't gone to a nurse's office, and that nobody is helping her?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Narrative stupidity.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comic Strips 2022: Narrative Stupidity

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Malice at the Palace was loving wild. I mean, Tim Donaghy was one of the refs in the game, and that's just a curiosity!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4REWM99_JSI

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

I have wondered this myself. I still don't know the answer.

Serious answer: Break / cut up the can.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Well I hope anyone enjoyed my ranting as much as I did. I dunno if it's rude or insane or entertaining to try some longer form analysis of these silly stories we've read for years. I could do positive ones about weird strips I love like Thimble Theater, Jucika, Prince Val or anything Q-Rai puts out, among others. I've wondered if the thread might enjoy regulars posting some summaries on strips they read regularly, maybe rating them and a justification for why... I say all this because I actually love reading obsessive over-analysis of my hobbies. And it'd be fun to sing the praises of the good strips and kick the bad strips while they're down.

I actually explicitly asked for these when I was brainstorming this year's OP! Maybe not quite this long, since I if had essays that length for every comic I'd start hitting the character limit. Actually no, scratch that, I definitely want essays this long for every single comic because then I could spread the OP out over multiple posts :getin:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The_Other posted:

Solver Autumn Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

Edit: I just noticed the "Two Weeks Later" in clouds after posting!

I never knew Paternosters were still in use anywhere.

(The first time I saw one was in the extended cut of Fritz Lang's Metropolis and I actually thought it was some kind of elaborate mechanical special effect.)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

That was anticlimactic.

Pooch Cafe

Don't blame you, Poncho.

Rex Morgan MD

Yeah? Well so's your perspective.

Andertoons

A3G didn't update for today.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

:3:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

A3G didn't update for today.

This is Andertoons quality but not so funny to me!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Wallace the Brave is so good.

[edit: removed what turned out to be a hoax]

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

It's looks like he drew the mask with a marker.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Pondus

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Green Intern posted:

Is there a reason that she hasn't gone to a nurse's office, and that nobody is helping her?
She was in the nurse's office and pretended she was fine so she could leave.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

I have no idea why she pretended she was fine, but she did.

And I think the rest is supposed to be some cartoony "she's clearly not fine to the viewer but she's somehow hiding it just well enough that nobody in-universe notices" thing.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "282 - Jucika On The Exhibition"

"283 - Jucika's And The Crime Mystery"

Some Guy TT posted:

I actually explicitly asked for these when I was brainstorming this year's OP! Maybe not quite this long, since I if had essays that length for every comic I'd start hitting the character limit. Actually no, scratch that, I definitely want essays this long for every single comic because then I could spread the OP out over multiple posts :getin:

Maybe I'll take a crack at a strip by strip one day but it'd be what I think of them instead of OP-worthy unbiased summaries, heh.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Speaking of what I think of bad strips: wow. Thank you, narration box, for explaining to me the literal physical action taking place in this visual medium. At this point the only reason to read New Trail is to wait for the point in every story where Jules clearly gives up. I was saying earlier that it's kind of hard to see the Bros as villains. Jerks, sure, at least until the OSHA violations.. I guess murder charges really cross the line. Maybe tomorrow we can see how seriously this is taken before the Sunday strip, though we must remember Mark just off-camera teleported his way out of real poo poo legal consequences in the first story when he blew up the boat. Sometimes I wonder how the dude fist-fighting Mark on the speedboat must've been killed my Mark's Dad or something since he'd be a pretty bulletproof witness.

Speaking of teleporting, Mark and Bee are on the stage, physically handing the DJ a USB. Now they're half a mile away from it, it's in the distance, the entire crowd is between them and it. Did Cricket Bro announce his need for his car keys, start his car and wait several minutes for them to get into a more dramatic position? Did he drive around a crowd at a festival concert venue to murder two people in broad daylight in front of a crowd? And not see the one tree in a flat field?

I get that you can hand wave some of this. "Time passed and they left the stage", "Cricket Bro is dangerously petty and unhinged and stupid, it's not bad writing that is who he is" but combine that with another elephant in the room: nobody in the crowd is reacting to news that the NFTs are worthless? What? I get that somehow they're not going to riot, whatever, but they aren't even aware at all.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

help I'm not sure how this sequence of events plays out

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

An opening a human needs a stepladder to reach, but the mice were getting into it?

Also, what's Crawley going to eat now? Snakes are obligate carnivores, and all meat in the setting is as sentient as those mice were.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well buy 'em an account

Do what a teen in my neighborhood did! Go to your neighbor's house hauling a lawn mower and a trash can for the clippings and offer to mow the lawn. Once the price is settled, discover that the mower won't start and take it home saying you'll try again tomorrow. Never come back ever. Trash can still at your neighbor's a year later. DONE.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

maltesh posted:

An opening a human needs a stepladder to reach, but the mice were getting into it?

Also, what's Crawley going to eat now? Snakes are obligate carnivores, and all meat in the setting is as sentient as those mice were.

Mice can climb.

I have no explanation for the second point though. I'm wondering that myself.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The stuff with Heart in the City makes sense to me. She doesn't want people to know she's hurt and is putting on false bravado like anyone who is in denial of their medical state. How she's hiding it without anyone going "yea no you're not okay" is the mystery though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

I'm enjoying Minimalist Nancy and Sluggo on the wall there.

Sluggo is 'list

Doomykins posted:

"283 - Jucika's And The Crime Mystery"

does Jucika just always cook naked or what

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Q-Rais Talk to Himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

(The first time I saw one was in the extended cut of Fritz Lang's Metropolis and I actually thought it was some kind of elaborate mechanical special effect.)
I mean, it really kind of is