Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

fadam posted:

Sometimes it's fun to spend money on dumb poo poo.

that's part of the value for me, opening stuff is fun. i know I'll get stuff i want, not super concerned about monetary value. though collectors boosters are not fun for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

if i wanted to make sure my money was used most efficiently i would simply not play magic the gathering

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
to be clear, i wasn't trying to harsh on anyone who genuinely enjoys opening packs; it just seems like the last several times that resale/mtgfinance sort of stuff came up in here it always sounded super disappointed and very much not enjoying what they were doing. if people are still enjoying themselves by all means continue to do so. if you're spending your money and having fun doing so, that's the important thing.

i don't have the money or the inclination to make a thread about speculating on cards/packs/boxes but i do think it'd be very helpful to separate that discussion out from talking about gameplay -- for example, i don't think i saw a single post about actually playing commander legends 2 in here, just a bunch of talk about how it had poor EV + i think a few times (especially early on when i was just getting into mtg) i got a bit blindsided by similarly wanting to discuss gameplay and getting responses about money/resale/etc. it's clearly something a lot of people here like talking about and have a lot of experience with, and i think someone who has that knowledge should definitely make a thread

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Exactly one year ago, almost to the day, the biggest exception to the rule of "don't crack packs, buy singles" was released: Modern Horizons 2.

I just kept buying boxes, cracking them, trading 80% of the pulls back to my LGS, and using the credit for another box.

Was hoping I could do something similar this summer with CMB, another hyped premium set. Got one set box on pre-release day and noooooope. Was just about as bad as the boxes in the prof's videos.

Interesting that the dual lands and dragons have appreciated a good amount since the video, likely because nothing else is contributing to the value in the box and not many packs are being ripped.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leperflesh posted:

E. this isn't just for you, flatluigi. I like that magic youtube guy to a degree, but a video of him showing yet again that cracking packs is money-losing, while funny, also seems to just be aimed at posters cracking packs. We don't need to restart that debate via posting videos either.

The video's good, and it's good to get the word out that the set is low value. Not every person in the thread keeps their finger on the pulse.

If posting the prof's occasional box-cracking video is against the thread rules, it's the rule that's the problem, not the video.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you ban the professor, ban me :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We have a finance thread. No one posts

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toshimo posted:

The video's good, and it's good to get the word out that the set is low value. Not every person in the thread keeps their finger on the pulse.

If posting the prof's occasional box-cracking video is against the thread rules, it's the rule that's the problem, not the video.

Alright. I didn't watch it. If the video is showing something unusual, that's reasonable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leperflesh posted:

this isn't just for you, flatluigi. I like that magic youtube guy to a degree, but a video of him showing yet again that cracking packs is money-losing, while funny, also seems to just be aimed at posters cracking packs. We don't need to restart that debate via posting videos either.
in this case with the professor, baldur's gate is by far the worst value set unless you hit the specific bomb showcase foil mythics, of which there are like 2, since likely dragon's maze. None of the 3 boxes he cracked hit above 50 dollars return, and one was under 10 dollars return.

Add onto the extremely obvious statement of wotc throwing all the poo poo that should be in this set into the super overpriced masters set coming out soon and I think it's a bit more different of a situation than the typical Cracking Packs Is For Suckers refrain of previous sets.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Baldur's Gate is just a terrible set and it's really not at all clear who it's for

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coelomate posted:

Interesting that the dual lands and dragons have appreciated a good amount since the video, likely because nothing else is contributing to the value in the box and not many packs are being ripped.
the dual lands and dragons are valuable because they're both somewhat desired by people and also not in any of the loving boxes. The frequency for them is on par with jeweled lotus, hell, prof's video showcases it perfectly. He got ONE dragon and ZERO duals in THREE boxes. And the collector boxes I've seen cracked, maybe has one or two dragons in them and a couple duals. Wotc super overtuned the drop rate for stuff this time around and it's really obvious

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Party Miser posted:

I got like seventy bucks in value out if my set booster box, and I'm pleased because of the amount of useful stuff i got (that would have been cheaper if singles were bought ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).
I got the ancient silver dragon, the rg land, the myriad angel, and a decent list card (baral).

needless to say I'm not getting more.

pretty deece username + post combo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Toshimo posted:

I never open packs or watch the videos, could you tell me when the last couple times cracking a box was good value? Thanks in advance.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lone Goat posted:

I never open packs or watch the videos, could you tell me when the last couple times cracking a box was good value? Thanks in advance.

When I cracked it with friends and we all had fun.

Not monetary value, mind you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Literally a few posts up, modern horizons 2.

I was able to do the same with the mh2 set boxes I opened, cracked about a dozen of them, 3 at a time, sold the results, used that to buy more set boxes. Mh2 is genuinely a great set to crack packs of, the box distribution of great cards was rock solid. So much good stuff to get and basically every box had at least a few huge hits. And then if you got an etched foil retro frame misty rainforest or whatever, that pays for like half the box itself. When I stopped I was down about 100 bucks but had a 3000ct box full of mh2 stuff including a couple inches of good stuff I could have sold but decided to keep, like a few retro fetches, esper sentinels, etc.

I really can't think of any other sets on that level of cracking quality.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think you're the perfect person to go make that mtg finances thread, captain invictus

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Baldur's Gate is just a terrible set and it's really not at all clear who it's for

Despite going in thinking that commander + limited is a bad combo, I've had more good games than bad games. It's a small sample, and a large factor is that I liked the people I was playing with. But to add to this, I've seen some interesting decks with some fun, interactive play. The games I played all had a decent forward velocity, so they didn't overstay their welcome.

Also, I like all the dragons. Dragons are great, and this set has lots and lots.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HootTheOwl posted:

We have a finance thread. No one posts

It was created to fail. It happens every single time a mod tries to quarantine a certain topic that is kind of integral to the greater topic. You can't remove mtgfinance from a MTG thread, especially if WOTC is embracing it as a business strategy.

Its kind of like when people call for banning links to twitter, despite more than half of all magic news coming from that medium.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

it was timed to come out with the release of bg3 originally is what it was for, then the video game got delayed into like next year

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

are there any more double masters spoilers for the love of christ

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I foiled out my fetches in my pet deck on tcgplayer for waaay less than I would have ever imagined thanks to mh2.

Do it again, wotc

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I foiled out my fetches in my pet deck on tcgplayer for waaay less than I would have ever imagined thanks to mh2.

Do it again, wotc

I too own foil bogles. Fight me.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I had a box of kamigawa that was almost certainly the result of randomization error at the packaging facility. Total was like $600+. 3 borderless boseijus, borderlesses of every dragon and every other land, wandering emperor, phyrexian tamiyo, showcase gitaxias

I never expect to break even, and the experience of opening packs and reading cards is the fun part for me. I avoid spoilers for the most part so I'm seeing every card for the first time usually. Then I cobble together a couple low-power decks based on the cool sounding draft archetypes and call it a day.

It's worked for several sets so far but baldurs gate set boosters were a big flop. I made 85% of the cost back but there wasn't enough card diversity/stock to make any fun decks. It'll be fixed and fun with another ~$30 but buying singles is just so boring lol.

Anyway that's my report as a Weird Broken Consumer. I engage with products in weird, uncommon, and insane ways and I've just kind of accepted it about myself.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

Sure.
Still all reprints.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

I too own foil bogles. Fight me.

Did you draw your leyline? This is the only part of the fight that will matter

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Did those who didn't watch the video what makes CL2 so bad was:
The boxes weren't just bad, they were all under fifty (less than half the price of the box) and the third one was only worth eight dollars.

Also, by all accounts the draft environment is/was good.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sickening posted:

It was created to fail. It happens every single time a mod tries to quarantine a certain topic that is kind of integral to the greater topic. You can't remove mtgfinance from a MTG thread, especially if WOTC is embracing it as a business strategy.

Its kind of like when people call for banning links to twitter, despite more than half of all magic news coming from that medium.

Which thread are we talking about?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

the dual lands and dragons are valuable because they're both somewhat desired by people and also not in any of the loving boxes. The frequency for them is on par with jeweled lotus, hell, prof's video showcases it perfectly. He got ONE dragon and ZERO duals in THREE boxes. And the collector boxes I've seen cracked, maybe has one or two dragons in them and a couple duals. Wotc super overtuned the drop rate for stuff this time around and it's really obvious
Yeah this phenomenon is curious to me. It used to be sets had a rare sheet that was 11 x 11, with 53 x 2 rares and 15 mythics that each naturally had half the rate of appearing. Open enough packs and you could at least see the roughly-one-in-eight-packs ratio. Clearly this set is pretty different with special background slots and who knows about set boosters, but like, the fact that each mythic was equally likely as any other was baked in. Same for the land cycle being just as likely as any other random rare. Could they have possibly changed that? Projected the desirability of cards before collation? Seems crazy but I wouldn't put it past them.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kalel posted:

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Is Fiery Justice the worst Masters reprint rare? Everything else in the set seems fine to good but holy cow is this a stinker.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Did those who didn't watch the video what makes CL2 so bad was:
The boxes weren't just bad, they were all under fifty (less than half the price of the box) and the third one was only worth eight dollars.

Also, by all accounts the draft environment is/was good.

Whoever did the calculation graphic hosed up on the second box, and third box, when he pulled a Morphic Pool it was not counted and the total didn't change, on the third he pulled an Ink Eyes in the second to last pack and for some reason the total just went and subtracted itself. Was he not counting stuff from the List?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/double-masters-2022-against-the-odds-style-exclusive-double-masters-2022-previews

Also count me as someone that likes the alt frames on the cards a hell of a lot more than the default just on being able to read them easier.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dominator posted:

Is Fiery Justice the worst Masters reprint rare? Everything else in the set seems fine to good but holy cow is this a stinker.

I wish I had a link to the tweet but bad rares, especially reprints, are on purpose.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

kalel posted:

GAAIV, Bitterblossom, Consecrated Sphinx too.

This really is cEDH masters and I'm here for it

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I am not a paper player but had intended to buy some of the LotR set because, well, <---, but I think I want a copy of this to display. Holy poo poo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Double+Masters+2022/Dragon+Arch

Holy loving poo poo how is this card getting reprinted still at uncommon?????

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

for the limited environment of course :imunfunny:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

big cummers ONLY posted:

Anyway that's my report as a Weird Broken Consumer. I engage with products in weird, uncommon, and insane ways and I've just kind of accepted it about myself.

TBH I'm pretty sure you actually engage with this product specifically in basically the normal way and the super engaged people who exclusively buy singles are, in the grand scheme of things at least, the weirdos. Maro's endless refrain is always "the most popular format is kitchen table Cards I Own."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jiro posted:

It seems like the perfect uncommon design tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

It seems like the perfect uncommon design tbh

I guess I'm looking at it from an EDH perspective of pairing it with enough mana after it's cast and other enchantments or artifacts or creature abilities that allow you to untap permanents, so you just keep doing that poo poo multiple times a turn if you have the correct setup to just go looking for creatures in your deck that are multicolored.