Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

loquacius posted:

Not all of it, but yeah, I didn't hold on to a lot of the stuff that seemed irrelevant to me. If you keep literally everything that comes with stuff like that Just In Case, you end up with a house full of useless crap you can't even remember the original use for.

Just keep the extra accessories and stuff in the motherboard's box, dude. Don't tell me you threw that out, too. Good luck if you ever need to do an RMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This happened to me too and I just stole an M2 screw from my Wifi card's heatsink

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I want to get a wifi card that plugs into the motherboard. Any recommendations? Anything I need to look out for?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I also had to buy screws when I first bought an M2 SSD. Not because I threw them away but because I didn't even remember that my Z170 HAD an M2 slot when I bought the mobo and didn't even think to look for the hardware

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Whenever i build a new pc, i just put all the bits into the mobo box. I put that and any other boxes into the case box and stow it in a closet or the attic. Ill hang on to most for a couple years, but the case box comes in handy if i need to transport the pc if im moving or whatever.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dont feel bad, losing a M.2 screw is like a right of passage in PC building.

When I needed one I got one of these because the screws it uses are M.2 and it comes with an extra.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R2JQRDP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know they aren't necessary but I think they look nice for $10. :v:

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 18, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

ZombieCrew posted:

Whenever i build a new pc, i just put all the bits into the mobo box. I put that and any other boxes into the case box and stow it in a closet or the attic. Ill hang on to most for a couple years, but the case box comes in handy if i need to transport the pc if im moving or whatever. that one box filled with cables.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
PC built, little bit of panic on boot because it took a long time for the bios/uefi to come up.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
memory training, will do that the first go. longest few seconds of your life lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cheap gen 3 nvme drive, probably better as a secondary drive

ADATA Falcon 2TB, Read/Write Speed up to 3100/1500 MB/s
$140 w/ coupon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08972HXVQ?th=1

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If anyone else decides to build in the phanteks p300a, some of the cable management cutouts suck. I had to remove most of the top panel screws to lift the panel to route the cpu plug, and had to squeeze the 24pin through another one with some finangling. Kinda cramped with the msi b550 tomahawk, a lot of the standoffs at the back were nigh impossible to get a screw in unless you have some specialty screwdrivers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bought the i5 12600k, a B660m DDR4 board and a new cooling fan. Between these and the 3070ti I've managed to keep my upgrades under $1800 which is good and I can stretch with my current RAM and powe supply for a while yet.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sweet, that machine is going to shred. i'm surprised it cost that much though if you're not buying ram or a PSU though, did you maybe buy a high end 3070ti? gonna be a beast.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CoolCab posted:

sweet, that machine is going to shred. i'm surprised it cost that much though if you're not buying ram or a PSU though, did you maybe buy a high end 3070ti? gonna be a beast.

Canada funbux make everything look more expensive. The cheapest 3070ti I could find was $800CAD so it's still the most expensive item by far. I'm not a big fan of all the RGB lights so I'm trimming down costs on my other purchases by finding the items with the least glowy bits.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 18, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ahhhhh gotcha. yeah no that thing is going to be a monster even with suboptimal ram (i've seen some testing that they're less relevant on intel but it wasn't very robust). i've had a 3070 pushing a 165Hz 1440p monitor for goodness a year and a half now and i still adore the performance, the 3070ti has that little extra bit of future proofing. if you time the market right you might get a DDR4 upgrade for even cheaper when there's mass market DDR5 adoption, or secondhand is another great way to get decent kits for peanuts.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Any tips on finding a good place to donate an old PC?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
What's the feeling about Founders Edition GPUs? One of my coworkers was talking about them last week and despite reading an article that summarized the differences I'm too stupid to figure out if it's worth it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Teratrain posted:

What's the feeling about Founders Edition GPUs? One of my coworkers was talking about them last week and despite reading an article that summarized the differences I'm too stupid to figure out if it's worth it.

They're just like all of the other GPUs except like 1% slower (who cares) and a lot cheaper. The higher-end models also run a little bit hotter/louder but it's not a big deal.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Yeah, the cooling seemed like it might be the killer for me, but fully agreed on the performance being irrelevant and the price being better. I use mine for long game sessions and like to run cool and steady FPS rather than max settings.

I'll need to replace my PSU as well for an upgrade, I assume Corsair are still fine for a modular supply? Are there any gotchas in the PSU market nowadays?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Spelling Mitsake posted:

How old? Nodosaur posted recently in the thread and said their PC was dying and they needed a new one but didn't have the money. Maybe if it's not too old and they paid shipping you two could help each other out.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 that im worried is going to die soon. I see that a 'NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card' is $700 right now. is that a good trade?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 that im worried is going to die soon. I see that a 'NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card' is $700 right now. is that a good trade?

If you want high-end performance that will last a while, then yes. Just a year ago, people were sacrificing their firstborn for the opportunity to buy a 3080 for $700. New cards are on the horizon, but the 3080 is still a great card and will remain so for a while.

If you've got a 1080p monitor still, then either consider upgrading that too or going for a lower-end GPU, though (such as a 3060 Ti)

edit: also bear in mind the extra power requirements of the 3080. It consumes over twice as much power as the 1070 and you may need a bigger power supply. it can also overwhelm your pc's cooling situation if it's not up to snuff. This is a big upgrade.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 18, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Man, turns out my job was giving out discounts on PC products including desktops!... and it's on Dell :negative: that would have been perfect if not for that.

Cause I've been looking on multiple sites and the best I've found was this: https://www.neobyte.es/pc-neo-gaming-i9-11900k-rtx-3080-16gb-1tb-1tb-ssd-2919.html for around 2100€~. It seems they build their own pcs, reading the comments on the site people say they did a good job on the build and they even give you the original component boxes, but I feel like they cheapened out on cooling and also it has no Wi-Fi which i need since the router is too far away. That said comments also mention they could haggle some component changes so i could try that if it's a good deal.

there's also another build with a i9-12900K, 5TB of space and Wifi included, but the price Jacks up to almos 2600€ which is clearly more expensive.

Reposting my query since it might have gotten lost amongst replies. If it's a crap deal I'll start looking out for places that can build the PC for you and get the components on sale.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Teratrain posted:

Yeah, the cooling seemed like it might be the killer for me, but fully agreed on the performance being irrelevant and the price being better. I use mine for long game sessions and like to run cool and steady FPS rather than max settings.

I'll need to replace my PSU as well for an upgrade, I assume Corsair are still fine for a modular supply? Are there any gotchas in the PSU market nowadays?

Corsair's RM series is good, yeah. There are so many power supplies on the market that it's hard to keep track of which ones are the real stinkers, to be honest, just stick to the known good ones. I just check to see if a power supply has gotten a good review from Aris Mpitziopoulos (who does reviews for TechPowerUp and Toms Hardware).

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Reposting my query since it might have gotten lost amongst replies. If it's a crap deal I'll start looking out for places that can build the PC for you and get the components on sale.

sorry bud, often when people are asking questions about prebuilds we usually let whoever is in region answer because it's so variable and depends so much on the specific OEMs/system integrators. PARTICULARLY in terms of pricing. in terms of performance a 3080 is a loving monster (less than launch, but still) and an 11900k isn't the most recent CPU but will be more than enough to last years and years, but how much value it is compared to other OEMs in uh spain is it? i don't know. i can say with certainty that it's not cooled enough for those components, and the case may not be upgradeable to make them adequate (no fan slots) so i predict thermal and acoustic issues.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would say in general that 2100 euros is too much to pay for a 3080 PC. The 11900K in there is of especially questionable value. That CPU is quite expensive, and it's also been derided as one of Intel's worse releases ever (it's actually worse than the 10900K)

this from that same retailer looks like a better deal: https://www.neobyte.es/pc-neo-gaming-ryzen-9-5900x-rtx-3080-16gb-1tb-ssd-4tb-9348.html

it has a better CPU while being 150 euros cheaper. I have no idea what else is available at other retailers in your region, though.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Corsair's RM series is good, yeah. There are so many power supplies on the market that it's hard to keep track of which ones are the real stinkers, to be honest, just stick to the known good ones. I just check to see if a power supply has gotten a good review from Aris Mpitziopoulos (who does reviews for TechPowerUp and Toms Hardware).

Awesome, thanks. That was the principle I was going with so I'll have a look at the links.

Probably last question for now, but I've seen some grumbling that the 3070 Ti isn't worth it over the 3070 due to power hunger and lack of advancement for the extra cost. Is there any merit to this or is it just nerds being picky? I'll probably go with one of those as I'm not going far beyond 1080p144 for a while and either one would be a fair jump up from my 970 so :shrug:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Teratrain posted:

Awesome, thanks. That was the principle I was going with so I'll have a look at the links.

Probably last question for now, but I've seen some grumbling that the 3070 Ti isn't worth it over the 3070 due to power hunger and lack of advancement for the extra cost. Is there any merit to this or is it just nerds being picky? I'll probably go with one of those as I'm not going far beyond 1080p144 for a while and either one would be a fair jump up from my 970 so :shrug:

go with the 3070. the extra $100 for the 3070 ti really isn't worth it, especially at 1080p. the 3070 ti is really only around 6 - 8% better than the 3070, and you're already butting up against the limits of your monitor with these cards.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Looking for some feedback for a build I just put together. I haven't built a PC in like 8 years so I'm hoping nothing is embarrassingly wrong with this. The monitor I already have, and the GPU I bought a while ago but it's still sitting in its box, unopened.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZFMKhk

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($334.12 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.46 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB GAMING Z TRIO Video Card ($889.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($178.10 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer Predator X34 34.0" 3440x1440 180 Hz Monitor

Total: $2317.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-18 16:32 EDT-0400

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Looking for some feedback for a build I just put together. I haven't built a PC in like 8 years so I'm hoping nothing is embarrassingly wrong with this. The monitor I already have, and the GPU I bought a while ago but it's still sitting in its box, unopened.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZFMKhk

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($334.12 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.46 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB GAMING Z TRIO Video Card ($889.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($178.10 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer Predator X34 34.0" 3440x1440 180 Hz Monitor

Total: $2317.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-18 16:32 EDT-0400

I'd go with a less expensive motherboard and a better CPU cooler. The 12700K is likely to be a bit too spicy for a 212. Go with something like a Fuma 2 Rev.B and something like the MSI Z690-A Pro for the motherboard. It offers just about everything the Strix does for cheaper, except for the flashy looks.

64GB is also overkill for most uses. If you're not doing anything on this computer that is obviously memory-hungry, then I'd just go with 32GB. That's already more than you may need unless you're doing some heavy-duty multitasking. 64GB is just a waste of money for most people.

And another small tweak: the Western Digital SN570 is probably the best value SSD on the market right now. I'd probably pick that instead of the 970 Pro

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CoolCab posted:

sorry bud, often when people are asking questions about prebuilds we usually let whoever is in region answer because it's so variable and depends so much on the specific OEMs/system integrators. PARTICULARLY in terms of pricing. in terms of performance a 3080 is a loving monster (less than launch, but still) and an 11900k isn't the most recent CPU but will be more than enough to last years and years, but how much value it is compared to other OEMs in uh spain is it? i don't know. i can say with certainty that it's not cooled enough for those components, and the case may not be upgradeable to make them adequate (no fan slots) so i predict thermal and acoustic issues.

I would say in general that 2100 euros is too much to pay for a 3080 PC. The 11900K in there is of especially questionable value. That CPU is quite expensive, and it's also been derided as one of Intel's worse releases ever (it's actually worse than the 10900K)

this from that same retailer looks like a better deal: https://www.neobyte.es/pc-neo-gaming-ryzen-9-5900x-rtx-3080-16gb-1tb-ssd-4tb-9348.html

it has a better CPU while being 150 euros cheaper. I have no idea what else is available at other retailers in your region, though.

Sorry, and thanks: I know this is mostly a Murican forum but you guys have been cool. The deal is from what I've searched the average price for a prebuilt with 3080 is easily arounf 2300-2600€, and that's without counting the outright scams that have worst processor/cooler that I've shown but they added lots of poo poo to push it up to 4000€ (wtf, for that price it better come with a 4090). Also I've never actually used a PC with AMD processor, how much difference in general/gaming use would it be?

...that said checking out now it seems there's some sales around PC stuff, digging a bit I've found a site offering the following stuff for 1844€:

quote:

Tower: CORSAIR ICUE 4000X RGB TEMPERED GLASS WHITE

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER G800 GOLD 800W 80+ GOLD

Processor: Intel Core i7 11700K

Motherboard: Z490

Drives:

- Kingston SNVS/1000G NV1 SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen 3.0

- 2TB HDD

RAM: 16GB RAM 3200 Mhz

Graphics: RTX 3080

Cooling: COOLER MASTER LIQUID REFRIGERATION MASTERLIQUID LITE 240 RGB

I'd mostly want to check if that's an example of a good deal so I can know what to look for. The same site also had one with a i9-11900k and a 3080ti for 2000€, but it's out of stock because even I can tell that's a decent deal give 3080ti still run around 1500€ here in Spain :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sorry, and thanks: I know this is mostly a Murican forum but you guys have been cool. The deal is from what I've searched the average price for a prebuilt with 3080 is easily arounf 2300-2600€, and that's without counting the outright scams that have worst processor/cooler that I've shown but they added lots of poo poo to push it up to 4000€ (wtf, for that price it better come with a 4090). Also I've never actually used a PC with AMD processor, how much difference in general/gaming use would it be?

...that said checking out now it seems there's some sales around PC stuff, digging a bit I've found a site offering the following stuff for 1844€:

I'd mostly want to check if that's an example of a good deal so I can know what to look for. The same site also had one with a i9-11900k and a 3080ti for 2000€, but it's out of stock because even I can tell that's a decent deal give 3080ti still run around 1500€ here in Spain :v:

I'd say this PC is a pretty alright deal. This one or the Ryzen one I linked would be worth getting. The Ryzen 5900X is a faster CPU, but if you don't specifically need a high amount of CPU performance than getting the cheaper PC may be smarter. In general, I'd say to just avoid expensive PCs that come with stuff that inflates the price without offering much tangible extra performance, like an i9 CPU.

edit: i somehow managed to miss your question about AMD vs Intel my first time reading your post, but yeah, butterfly valley has the gist of it. the 5900X is a very powerful CPU. It's just better than the 11th-gen intel CPUs we've been discussing, but its extra performance is largely unneeded in gaming, so going with the cheaper PC is valid. You most likely won't notice any difference in your day-to-day computer usage.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 18, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Also I've never actually used a PC with AMD processor, how much difference in general/gaming use would it be?

If you're asking if there's any discernible regular differences between all Intel and all AMD CPUs, no, absolutely not. We judge individual CPUs on their merits. Intel made better CPUs for a while, then AMD started innovating and bringing higher core and thread count CPUs to the masses and for a few years they were the logical choice, then Intel were forced to play catchup and now we're in a great situation for the consumer where they're trading blows and pushing each other to greater heights. 11th gen Intel CPUs were generally pretty poor value across the board however.

I'd mostly want to check if that's an example of a good deal so I can know what to look for.

If your main concern is gaming then the 3080 is what you're looking for, and then you just want a CPU that isn't too over or underpowered for the GPU. Most prebuilts err heavily on the side of throwing overpowered CPUs in with lovely cooling. That said, the deal you posted with the 11700k looks relatively good just by virtue of the fact that while the CPU was comparatively poor value on release, it would still be more than enough to not throttle the 3080, it's cheaper, and doesn't run as hot as the 11900k in other builds you've linked so cooling wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I'd go with a less expensive motherboard and a better CPU cooler. The 12700K is likely to be a bit too spicy for a 212. Go with something like a Fuma 2 Rev.B and something like the MSI Z690-A Pro for the motherboard. It offers just about everything the Strix does for cheaper, except for the flashy looks.

64GB is also overkill for most uses. If you're not doing anything on this computer that is obviously memory-hungry, then I'd just go with 32GB. That's already more than you may need unless you're doing some heavy-duty multitasking. 64GB is just a waste of money for most people.

And another small tweak: the Western Digital SN570 is probably the best value SSD on the market right now. I'd probably pick that instead of the 970 Pro

Thanks for the input. You're right. I'm sold on the Fuma 2 Rev.B if it includes the LGA 1700 mounting bracket (which it looks like it does?)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That's specifically the point of the 'rev b' bit so yeah you're good

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spelling Mitsake posted:

no one replied to this, apologies! google "ecycling" or similar for your region. in most cities there will probably be several who are more than happy to take them refurbish them and resell them and then use the money for charity.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thanks a lot! I'll admit I don't really mind a more powerful than needed CPU since I do tend to multitask a lot of stuff like browsers or... programs while gaming, and I use a program that is somewhat CPU expensive; but I guess a modernish but not cutting edge CPU will serve me well enough and feel like I'm putting 5th gear with some Eurobeat when compared to my current i7-4790. Probably the CPu would be better if I rendered videos or other stuff like that?

Something to point out is the 1844€ one is on sale, normal price is 2500~ which is on average with the usual prices I've seen. I'll try to look out a bit more since I still don't have the external drive for my backups but at least I know what to look out for: a 3080 for future proofing and 1440p gaming, 16GB Ram cause that's what I have and I barely use half that lol, an i5-i7 or the AMD equivalent processor that's good but not overpriced, at least 1TB SSD to be on par with my HDD (more ideally cause PC games can't compress files) and good cooling and fanning if possible because one of the major reasons I'm upgrading is my PC is loud with noises and it gives me anxiety.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks a lot! I'll admit I don't really mind a more powerful than needed CPU since I do tend to multitask a lot of stuff like browsers or... programs while gaming, and I use a program that is somewhat CPU expensive; but I guess a modernish but not cutting edge CPU will serve me well enough and feel like I'm putting 5th gear with some Eurobeat when compared to my current i7-4790. Probably the CPu would be better if I rendered videos or other stuff like that?

Keeping lots of browser tabs open or running a few programs simultaneously with gaming aren't the kind of tasks that need the most performant CPUs. If you were building a PC from scratch, anything above the 12600k/5600X offers severely diminishing returns in high refresh rate 1440p+ gaming. Like low single figure percentage improvements to fps. Any modern CPU you get is going to smoke your current set up.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

and here's the more "common sense" $1720 gaming pc that gets like 80 - 85% of the performance of the above PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gn8Jk9 — edit: the lancool II there is available for that much at newegg.
So I went with this exact build but uhm what is this thing I bought? It's HUGE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0982VWQN1?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Says it's a heatsink but how would I attach it? Even if I could fit it in the case, the heatsink is is so heavy I wouldn't trust it to stay seated properly against the CPU unless I left my PC lying on it's side. It's impractically huge and heavy. I'm worried about the constant torque it would put on the motherboard might snap with motherboard when the tower is vertical. Seems way too risky to attempt to install vs the stock heatsink.

e: Watched a video of the stock 1700 cooler and that little thing is noisy. Alright screw it hope I get this backplate and everything on right :ohdear:

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sanctum posted:

So I went with this exact build but uhm what is this thing I bought? It's HUGE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0982VWQN1?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Says it's a heatsink but how would I attach it? Even if I could fit it in the case, the heatsink is is so heavy I wouldn't trust it to stay seated properly against the CPU unless I left my PC lying on it's side. It's impractically huge and heavy. I'm worried about the constant torque it would put on the motherboard might snap with motherboard when the tower is vertical. Seems way too risky to attempt to install vs the stock heatsink.

lol, welcome to modern heatsink design. there are plenty more like this where that comes from. And it's fine. modern motherboards are built strong, and these heatsinks attach to a backplate that spreads out the weight load. It should come with instructions that tell you how to mount it, but you generally attach the custom mounting hardware first, apply thermal paste to the CPU, and then put the heatsink onto the CPU and screw it into the mounting hardware. I promise that it will hold, and you can put the computer in any orientation you want. These things are designed to be used sticking out the side of the motherboard and still maintain perfect mounting pressure with no damage to the motherboard.

I find it's easiest to mount the heatsink to the motherboard while it's outside of the case first, and then move the motherboard to the case (I just use the heatsink as a big ol handle), plug in the 8-pin CPU power, and then mount the motherboard to the case.

edit: to be clear, there is no risk here. this is the new normal for high-end CPU air coolers. there are dozens of different air coolers like this now, and it's a perfectly safe style of cooler to use. I strongly advise against using the stock cooler for the 12700 as it will hamstring that CPU quite a bit.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 19, 2022