Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Allegedly, Sony are very dedicated to associating Final Fantasy with their ~brand~ so I wouldn't expect to see any mainline stuff on Xbox any time soon. My eyes almost popped out of my skull when I saw the Persona games were coming, and I hope they and Soul Hackers 2 do well enough that we get some stuff we missed like SMT III.

There's still a lot of Japanese games I'd love to see on here but still, this is the best position Xbox has been in since the 360 and I'm counting my blessings. I'd be ok with later ports of stuff like Dragon Quest XII even, just as long as there's no bullshit obfuscation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
jokes on them, final fantasy is and always will be in my mind, a Nintendo brand

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Serious question- can someone explain the FF7 remake to me? I tried to play FF before and those games just aren't for me at all so I don't pay attention. It seems the FF7 remake is three separate games, I don't understand how that works. Are they taking the original and stretching it out, or are they just using the source materiel to make 3 separate self contained games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the last thing yuk said. it looks pretty cool tbh, I don’t think it’s fail turn based combat

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Seltzer posted:

Serious question- can someone explain the FF7 remake to me? I tried to play FF before and those games just aren't for me at all so I don't pay attention. It seems the FF7 remake is three separate games, I don't understand how that works. Are they taking the original and stretching it out, or are they just using the source materiel to make 3 separate self contained games.

They are stretching it out and dramatically changing the plot

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seltzer posted:

The first part (Remake) was the basically the opening area from the original FF7 stretched out to like a 40 hour game, and it hosed with the story of the original and changed key events that happen in the original game.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Seltzer posted:

They are doing a Rebuild of Evangelion with Final Fantasy.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t mind them doing the rebuild of evangelion thing but I don’t like how they’re doing it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seltzer posted:

The storyline of Part 1 starts exactly the same way the original game does and concludes with Cloud and crew leaving Midgar. This originally took something like 5-10 hours on PS1 depending on how you did it, now it's fleshed out a LOT more and is more like I think a 30-hour playthrough or some such. It hits all the same major plot beats that were in the original game, with a few tweaks here and there, like Sephiroth has more of a presence in this section while I think he's only mentioned but never seen in the PS1 original.

The Yuffie DLC also takes place in Midgar simultaneously with events from the latter half of FF7R Part 1, IIRC it's mostly an original story that was talked about in the PS1 Original but happens off-screen because you don't meet Yuffie until the overworld in the PS1 original.

I think the plan is that Part 3 will end at the same place that the PS1 original game ended in the Northern Crater, and they'll figure out a way to position the split between Part 2 and Part 3 with the remaining story in a way that makes sense.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 18, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The people who like Final Fantasy seem hype as hell about it so good for them I guess.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hate anime. No, not that anime, obviously

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Shut up bitch

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
That wasn't aimed at anyone in particular but at the whole thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I hate anime. No, not that anime, obviously

Stfu

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like the Final Fantasy worlds and music but the battle system puts me to sleep in most of the games. I just like the FF5, FF7R, and FFXIII-2 systems. I usually love turn based games too but I just hate ATB, it’s just a bit too slow

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The PS1 FF7 came on 3 discs, the remakes are split into 3 parts. I can’t remember where disc 2 ends but I guess that’s probably where the upcoming one will?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Space Racist posted:

The PS1 FF7 came on 3 discs, the remakes are split into 3 parts. I can’t remember where disc 2 ends but I guess that’s probably where the upcoming one will?

Excited for part 3 to erase all of my game progress to capture the old FF7 magic.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

American McGay posted:

The people who like Final Fantasy seem hype as hell about it so good for them I guess.

It is good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm going to play Final Fantasy 16 and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on my accursed Sony Playstation 5

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

I'm going to play Final Fantasy 16 and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on my accursed Sony Playstation 5

Sorry to hear that OP :(

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

You should keep such self harming talk to yourself op

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sony making another good console is the true Final Fantasy

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Space Racist posted:

Nah the original splits don't work. The game's data layout was a bit weird because the only difference between the discs was some cinematic files (and there was overlap for these because some cinematics like entering certain areas were accessible on all three discs).

Disc 1-Disc 2 transition was quite a bit after the overworld, specifically right after Sephiroth kills Aerith.
You actually only switch to Disc 3 when you enter the final zone of the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1537928166932484097?s=21&t=o0zL7eNQVwFupJnHzFeJ4g

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Plenty of games are "free" if you're faster than loss prevention staff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

acksplode posted:

Not every game supports it, but there was an update to the PC game pass app late last year that allows full write access to game installs in order to enable modding. And MS didn't sneak it in, they announced it as a new feature. All the Fallouts and Elder Scrollses support it, so I bet Starfield will too.
They have full file access, but the .EXE file is still weird and encrypted/protected so the inevitable Script Extender probably won't work. Such is the price of "free" games from Game Pass.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll play FFXVI most definitely, FF7R2 is up in the air

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

SpiderLink posted:

Allegedly, Sony are very dedicated to associating Final Fantasy with their ~brand~ so I wouldn't expect to see any mainline stuff on Xbox any time soon. My eyes almost popped out of my skull when I saw the Persona games were coming, and I hope they and Soul Hackers 2 do well enough that we get some stuff we missed like SMT III.

There's still a lot of Japanese games I'd love to see on here but still, this is the best position Xbox has been in since the 360 and I'm counting my blessings. I'd be ok with later ports of stuff like Dragon Quest XII even, just as long as there's no bullshit obfuscation.

It is odd how they do seem to want to associate Final Fantasy with Playstation, but anything else i would associate with the ps1 is either forgotten, multiplatform, or treated terribly.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Turtles is indeed good.
I played through the first 3 levels and my kids really want to play co-op tomorrow. Is there any performance difference on a series x vs one s with this game? I don’t necessarily want to unplug my series x and haul it to the family room but the difference is 55” tv vs 75” and co-op with the kids calls for 75”.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

the rat fandom posted:

It is odd how they do seem to want to associate Final Fantasy with Playstation, but anything else i would associate with the ps1 is either forgotten, multiplatform, or treated terribly.

I think they're focusing very hard on trying to seem like the premium option, the same kind of niche Apple occupies. So they focus on big names and prestige dramatic series to the detriment of everything else.

I'm not trying to portray Microsoft of all corporations as the plucky everyman underdog, it's just my two cents.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
FFVII remake is extremely good you should play it if you like RPGs at all and have a PC or PS I guess

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

otter posted:

Turtles is indeed good.
I played through the first 3 levels and my kids really want to play co-op tomorrow. Is there any performance difference on a series x vs one s with this game? I don’t necessarily want to unplug my series x and haul it to the family room but the difference is 55” tv vs 75” and co-op with the kids calls for 75”.

Get a series S for pixel games like this

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Get a series S for pixel games like this

Well considering the fact that I have 2 One S(es?) and one Series X I'm not buying another one until the addition is complete on my house.
After that, my kids will each get one of the One S(es) and one of the 55" tvs, and since my wife hates our 75" tv that will go into my office and at that point I will probably get another Series X.

However, this is just a rainy Saturday thing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

1glitch0 posted:

I'd give all the Call of Dutys for a steady supply of JRPGs.

Monkey's paw heard your wish. Enjoy your games published by Kemco!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

otter posted:

Turtles is indeed good.

I played through it on my living room One X and it maintained 60 fps the whole way through

e: in single player

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 18, 2022

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Does anyone have a step by step instructions for actually getting Retroarch setup/configured on Xbox?

I've already got an external HD with games on it from when I built an old RetroPie so I just need to get em on the Xbox

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

Does anyone have a step by step instructions for actually getting Retroarch setup/configured on Xbox?

I've already got an external HD with games on it from when I built an old RetroPie so I just need to get em on the Xbox

Just follow this guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV9GyKicrAg

It’s super easy these days, you’re just installing RetroArch and then FTPing ROMs over. You don’t need to do any dev mode poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ive always heard it in my head as "retroark," was surprised to hear this guy saying "retrorch"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its retro-arch, like a classic villain coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
You can also use an external hard drive, FTPing is optional.