Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Wait, so what’s up with the artist? Is it like lovely chud brain level or ‘he should be in jail’ level of shittiness?
E; meant to quote Lord Hambrose, referring to the Imortal Hulk artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Wait, so what’s up with the artist? Is it like lovely chud brain level or ‘he should be in jail’ level of shittiness?
E; meant to quote Lord Hambrose, referring to the Imortal Hulk artist

https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1433473103628222465

https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1433473286739054592

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh drat, that description is slightly underselling it

https://i.imgur.com/VjQ3s3K.jpg

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

He also snuck some antisemitic imagery into the backgrounds of some panels in Immortal Hulk issues.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Goddamnit.
>: (

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Don’t let it discourage you from reading Immortal Hulk. The amazing work of everyone else doesn’t deserve to forgotten because of one person’s awful beliefs. And frankly, while he is a bad person, Bennett’s art is great throughout the series. A real disgusting delight to look at. One of those times where ya kinda gotta just throw the hands up and go “well, bad people make good art sometimes.”

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, I know. I read the first twenty or so issues, got sick of waiting on marvel unlimited to catch up and bought a few current issues and decided to just wait for an omnibus. It really deserves to be read in physical form and I’m hoping for an oversized omni like my SHEILD and X-Statics ones. I fuckin’ love that dude’s art, just disappointed. Still gonna read that poo poo and recommend it to people, but gently caress that guy. At least it seems he’s not really welcome in the industry anymore.

E: why is he supporting Balsonaro? Is he actually from Brazil or does he just love fascists like how some dipshits think Deuterte has the right idea?

Bulgaroctonus fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 15, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh, I know. I read the first twenty or so issues, got sick of waiting on marvel unlimited to catch up and bought a few current issues and decided to just wait for an omnibus. It really deserves to be read in physical form and I’m hoping for an oversized omni like my SHEILD and X-Statics ones. I fuckin’ love that dude’s art, just disappointed. Still gonna read that poo poo and recommend it to people, but gently caress that guy. At least it seems he’s not really welcome in the industry anymore.

E: why is he supporting Balsonaro? Is he actually from Brazil or does he just love fascists like how some dipshits think Deuterte has the right idea?

He's Brazillian, I think he actually lives in Brazil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

In retrospect, I didn't know what I expected old Hulk comics to be like. But Betsy Ross turning to glass and the Hulk getting engaged to a subatomic warrior queen were not what I expected.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Jarella fuckin ruled

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

well, now i'm interested

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seems like old Hulk comics weren't all that different then if you think of Planet Hulk and its storyline.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Bill Mantlo later pretty famously lifted an Ellison short story that had been adapted into an Outer Limits episode for an issue of Hulk, which is also fun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I Have No Mouth And I Must Smash

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The secret key to a lot of iconic Hulk stuff is Herb Trimpe.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I know what it's referencing but man that title is just so clunky.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm finally getting around to reading Punisher Kill Krew from the aftermath of War of the Realms, holy poo poo is it hilarious. That's coming from someone that usually hates everything Punisher.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jiro posted:

I'm finally getting around to reading Punisher Kill Krew from the aftermath of War of the Realms, holy poo poo is it hilarious. That's coming from someone that usually hates everything Punisher.

Punisher tends to either be amazing or terrible with very little middle ground.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TwoPair posted:

I Have No Mouth And I Must Smash

Overrated. "The Leader Painted Roses" is his best short.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Incredible Hulk Epic Collection volume 5. As I said earlier, I was surprised to discover that early Hulk was dominated by Hulk and Banner's desire to return to the fantasy universe inside an atom where his beautiful warrior princess fiance waited for him. So there's the standard Hulk stuff where he goes to a place and there's a fight or something and Hulk leaves saying "Everywhere Hulk goes, people hurt Hulk!" but with the addition of "if only Hulk could find tiny world again". Betty Ross is basically written out as a love interest. Jarella the Warrior Queen can be with Banner when he's the Hulk, and she's hotter than Betty. They also introduce Doctor Samson, a man who takes some of the Hulks life essence and becomes super strong too. They establish that his strength is regulated by the length of his hair, so in his second appearance he has a bob and bangs because he couldn't control his longer-haired strength. But by his third appearance I think they realized that's really stupid because he has his full flowing mane again.

Also , Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew show up a lot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Stan Lee would mention Agnew in Spider-Man comics and it took years before I ever found out who that was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lobok posted:

Stan Lee would mention Agnew in Spider-Man comics and it took years before I ever found out who that was.

Every time Spiro Agnew appears in the comic, Nixon refers to him as "Spiro". I guess they thought that the kids would recognize Nixon, but would need some help with Agnew

Also tom Wolfe appears, and the little text box identifies him as being from Dr. Strange. It's Tom Wolfe. You know, Dr. Strange's friend.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Hulk completely changes tone, settings, and rules about its main character more often than any other comic book series. It's practically the character's whole thing at this point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hulk is basically the complete opposite of like Spider-Man which is kind of funny

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah even though Spider-Man didn't have Mary Jane or Gwen Stacey or other notable supporting cast members otherwise that character was fully formed from the jump

Meanwhile Lee and Kirby were completely overhauling the Hulk every six issues. Remember when he only turned into the Hulk at night??

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
They did the night time thing in Immortal Hulk.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It's pretty amazing how unique Immortal Hulk felt despite many elements originating from continuity deep dives. Hulk changing at night, Devil Hulk, and Hulk having supernatural properties were all previously established things, just rarely brought up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Joe Fisto posted:

They did the night time thing in Immortal Hulk.

yeah that was Al Ewing calling back to that since everything in Immortal Hulk that isn't religious/existential/body horror is deep cuts

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So: Wonder Man. What’s his deal? Does he lose his powers if he gets tied up by a woman? Does he come from an all male island inspired by the Romans?

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1537512083251765256?s=21&t=nJkJ-qqQ7CkF-ZFdTDHo8g

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

He's an actor who likes to get real loving stoned with Hank McCoy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

thetoughestbean posted:

So: Wonder Man. What’s his deal? Does he lose his powers if he gets tied up by a woman? Does he come from an all male island inspired by the Romans?

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1537512083251765256?s=21&t=nJkJ-qqQ7CkF-ZFdTDHo8g

I suppose you could do a lot worse for a series premise than a guy who gets amazing superhuman strength, then decides the best use for it is to be a Hollywood stuntman.

There were a couple of bits in West Coast Avengers about how hiring Simon was good for a movie's budget since you could just throw him over cliffs or set him on fire or whatever. There was no need for dummy shots or burn suits.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I actually liked Fantastic Four today. I know, I know.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Has anybody read that Miles Morales as Thor comic? There are some pages floating around on Twitter that make it look hilariously tone-deaf and terrible

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Like this?

https://twitter.com/reverendclown/status/1537933805356404736?s=21&t=KZJ0QBTh998T9qBIPkeLlA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah, and this "My names Thor and I'm here to say," poo poo

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
lol who wrote that poo poo?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, and this "My names Thor and I'm here to say," poo poo

Holy poo poo that’s Wendy’s-training-video levels of “rap” right there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Has anybody read that Miles Morales as Thor comic? There are some pages floating around on Twitter that make it look hilariously tone-deaf and terrible

All of them are bad. It's supposed to be "What If Miles Morales was [x]" which I thought would be the premise like maybe Miles picks up Thor's hammer or he gets injected with the super-soldier serum in the modern day or blah blah etc., but instead all of them are just Elseworlds where they just shove Miles and every supporting character in his cast awkwardly into different character's origin stories and just let them play out and maybe adding some stuff they saw in Spider-Verse for "flavor".

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

lol who wrote that poo poo?

I believe the answer—from what I saw elsewhere—is a white guy currently doing a terrible job defending himself from the (entirely legitimate) criticism on twitter

Edit: I hadn’t even seen the Industry Terribleness thread yet, go in there to see the full scale of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's too bad that either Miles doesn't have enough interesting moments in his history to be the foundation for What If...? premises or they just don't care so we get a series where Miles becomes every major hero because I guess a pillar of Spider-Man storytelling now is just variants & costumes.