Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ever since that last update I get occasional ports and/or power socket crapping out. Like the power plug will be in and have the orange light, but the battery icon wont register it being there and I dont *think* its charging. Rebooting fixes it.

Likewise USB-C ports occasionaly become non responsive and need a reboot.

I'm having to reset the machine about once a day. I'm 99% certain this is a software not hardware issue, since it happened immediately after that stupid script (Installing GDAL libraries for some GIS work) did a "Surprise!" update of the OS

Looking it up on google theres a bunch of people whove had the same issue and usually get met with the absolute oxygen thieves that infest tech support forums who tell them to "Reset SMC" and lock the thread (the M1s dont actually *have* an SMC) and one complete knobend went on a big spiel about how you should never use a power board and instead go straight into a wall and THATS the reason. Needless to say I personally think those tech support forums are absoultely useless boomer traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kim jong-illin posted:

Having a frustrating issue where I can't delete a file on macOS 12.3.1.

The .epub at the bottom is a file that was downloaded from my iCloud drive into my non-iCloud sync'd download folder.

If I try to delete by right-clicking on it, I get the following error message:

If I try to use Terminal to delete it, the file can't be dragged into Terminal and the path has to be manually entered, then using the rm command just makes Terminal hang indefinitely

I'm assuming something went wrong during the process of downloading it from iCloud drive and now I can't find a way to get rid of it. Endless reboots, making sure all macOS updates are installed, ensuring I have read/write permissions for the file and it's not locked etc, have all made no difference.

Any suggestions for how to get rid of it short of flattening and reinstalling my entire OS?

The open parenthesis is a reserved character and doesn't have a matching close parenthesis so the shell isn't hanging, it's waiting for more input. Like the guy up above said, you can escape it with quotes or a \ before the parenthesis if that comes up again.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

kim jong-illin posted:

Any suggestions for how to get rid of it short of flattening and reinstalling my entire OS?

(flashes warrant card) If you delete that book I will eat your soul. Sorry, you're a member of the Laundry now.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Sure and right now the venne diagram of people who meet that criteria and want to game on a Mac is…..500?

I dont expect to be running full blown latest gen games w/ ray tracing and poo poo, I do have a gaming PC for that kind of thing. But it would be nice to be able to play more laptop friendly games that my old gaming laptop (Recently retired, now replaced with an Ryzen/3070 beast machine) could play. The GPUs on the silicon mac pros might not quite be up with the 30x's but they arent slouches either. They *should* be able to play reasonably recent games, presumably those that dont have minimum requirements that would also knock out most PC gamers (Keep in mind, the buttcoin induced GPU shortage still has people gaming on 1060s and the like, that shortage is starting to lift, but it'll be a few years before most gamers are caught up to the leading edge again.).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

duck monster posted:

I dont expect to be running full blown latest gen games w/ ray tracing and poo poo, I do have a gaming PC for that kind of thing. But it would be nice to be able to play more laptop friendly games that my old gaming laptop (Recently retired, now replaced with an Ryzen/3070 beast machine) could play. The GPUs on the silicon mac pros might not quite be up with the 30x's but they arent slouches either. They *should* be able to play reasonably recent games, presumably those that dont have minimum requirements that would also knock out most PC gamers (Keep in mind, the buttcoin induced GPU shortage still has people gaming on 1060s and the like, that shortage is starting to lift, but it'll be a few years before most gamers are caught up to the leading edge again.).

With every major console producer aiming for cloud gaming and nvidia doing the same for pc gaming, I think it's more likely to be able to game from a datacenter than native ports.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

With every major console producer aiming for cloud gaming and nvidia doing the same for pc gaming, I think it's more likely to be able to game from a datacenter than native ports.

I'm yet to see an effective implementation of that. The latency just kills it every time, and latency is *everything* in game "feel". I just can't imagine the gaming public chosing that over a local solution, especialy when for the most part you can pick up a perfectly capable gaming laptop with cut down versions of RTX gpu's for well south of $1k. It feels to me another iteration of "big idea" tech like VR or 3D television that seems wonderful in theory but utterly disapointing in practice.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So I accidentally installed MacOS Ventura, I'm a big old idiot.

It's kind of ok, the features own (iphone as webcam is great and stage manager actually owns for ultrawides) but it's not saving my keyboard modifiers. Er, it does save, then somehow they get lost after a while.

I suspect my KVM is making Ventura think my keyboard is new every time or something.

Anyone experience this?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wow that’s quite the accident you had there.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
MacOS betas always fail at bringing up both monitors from sleep for me. It's been like the last 4 releases, so weird. Typically I have to actually unplug a monitor and plug it back in to get it to recognize. Eventual final release is always fine.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

American McGay posted:

Wow that’s quite the accident you had there.

It's also my work computer and I am far too well compensated to be this stupid :confuoot:

The whole point was to install it on a separate, newly created volume. I followed some instructions on the net, and it was suppose to like... ASK where you want it, but it never did. idk, whatever.

I touch tha poop and I guess this is my life now

The iphone as webcam is seriously great though. Looks insane, and works completely seamlessly.

AlternateAccount posted:

MacOS betas always fail at bringing up both monitors from sleep for me. It's been like the last 4 releases, so weird. Typically I have to actually unplug a monitor and plug it back in to get it to recognize. Eventual final release is always fine.

Ah interesting. I usually stick to one ultrawide which is KVM to a windows PC and a 2021 MBP.

I will say, last time I installed a beta MacOS I immediately had major issues, but nothing game breaking so far... thank god (yes this is a pattern that I have found myself in more than once inadvertently...)

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 15, 2022

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

duck monster posted:

I'm yet to see an effective implementation of that. The latency just kills it every time, and latency is *everything* in game "feel". I just can't imagine the gaming public chosing that over a local solution, especialy when for the most part you can pick up a perfectly capable gaming laptop with cut down versions of RTX gpu's for well south of $1k. It feels to me another iteration of "big idea" tech like VR or 3D television that seems wonderful in theory but utterly disapointing in practice.

Xbox cloud gaming has been good for me but Apple does seem actively hostile towards it as a product.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I personally want Overwatch for Mac. If OW2 really is the OW1 game engine, then 5 years of progress + better AS graphics seems like it should be actually performant on a Mac and there'll be a rapidly increasing number of Macs that can justify the work effort.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

When you're using your iphone as a webcam is there a way to determine what lens it should use?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Taima posted:

The whole point was to install it on a separate, newly created volume. I followed some instructions on the net, and it was suppose to like... ASK where you want it, but it never did. idk, whatever.

I think that happened to Jason Snell and he accidentally installed it, too. He's been a Mac journalist for like 25 years or something so don't feel bad, you're in good company.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

oh snap that's amazing, thanks for the heads up friend, good times.

BTW if anyone was waiting on the edge of their seat for why the keyboard modifiers all revert to default- it's the KVN. Ventura essentially sees every new keyboard hookup as a NEW keyboard, at least in my case. So it auto configs it each time the KVN is toggled between systems, with a default profile. Kind of lame, but I've had zero bugs besides that.

Also, I said it before but stage manger is built for an ultrawide. It's so good in that form factor that it might even justify the purchase of an ultrawide for people in that somewhat niche use case.

Overall I think Ventura is fantastic, and it's much less buggy than the dev 1 beta of the previous MacOS. At first I didn't think the features were that amazing, but after using them (particularly continuity camera and stage manager) I have concluded that this is my favorite MacOS in years.

e: I mean, just to give one example, several Adobe suite programs failed to load entirely in beta 1 of Monterey. Conversely I have experienced almost no bugs in Ventura and it feels pretty feature complete at launch, unlike say, things like universal control. Don't get me wrong, it owns now but was somewhere between buggy and unusable for the beta period if you were unlucky with your configuration...

Apple's MacOS team has been at the top of their game recently imo. Everyone is going to love Ventura. Universal Control literally changed how I work. Having an iphone quality webcam whenever you want is a game changer if you care about your video quality. Stage Manager catapults certain Mac ecosystem setups into being much more intuitive UX-wise (especially with an ultrawide).

The stage manager mini windows exist in real time, by the way, so you can easily see exactly what's happening in them. Surprisingly useful. For example you can have a collaborative document open in a stage manager tab and you can see people working on it in real time.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 15, 2022

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

They're very deceiving in that Beta 1 will be rough, Beta 2 will be solid but need some polish, Beta 3 will be screaming fast and ready to rock and then Beta 4 will have a bug where right clicking on a jpeg in safari causes your filesystem to delete random files.
Just be careful

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Taima posted:

Also, I said it before but stage manger is built for an ultrawide. It's so good in that form factor that it might even justify the purchase of an ultrawide for people in that somewhat niche use case.
Perhaps I'm being exceptionally slow but I can't really figure out what Stage Manager is… for? Is it replacing Mission Control or is it in addition to it? The little preview animation on the macOS Ventura page doesn't really show me why it's useful.

E: If it’s in addition to Mission Control I’m going to get grumpy about all the mixed metaphors going on. Center Stage, Stage Manager, but also Mission Control and Launchpad? What kind of operation are we running here, Tim? :mad:

TACD fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 16, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is expose still around? It just seems like a slightly more showy version of that.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

TACD posted:

Perhaps I'm being exceptionally slow but I can't really figure out what Stage Manager is… for? Is it replacing Mission Control or is it in addition to it? The little preview animation on the macOS Ventura page doesn't really show me why it's useful.

E: If it’s in addition to Mission Control I’m going to get grumpy about all the mixed metaphors going on. Center Stage, Stage Manager, but also Mission Control and Launchpad? What kind of operation are we running here, Tim? :mad:

I have a lot of thoughts on this! I haven't tried stage manager yet and the devil's in the details, so we'll see if it actually works out, but I'm really excited about it because it seems like it was designed exactly for the workflow that I try to use but doesn't really map to how macOS windowing works today.

My ideal windowing lifestyle would be to have groups of related windows across different apps, so I have for example one group for a work project including windows for Xcode, Terminal, Simulator, Safari, and maybe a utility app or two. Then another similar group for a separate personal project, another one for communication with Mail, Messages and Calendar, one for media with Music and YouTube, etc.

Then I can switch between this handful of groups with command-tab or some equivalent, and I can cycle through the windows within a group with ⌘+` (which stage manager supports from what I understand).

Ideally those groups persist properly (being able to name them would be a nice bonus) and I don't have to futz with restoring them manually any time I restart the computer.

That's how I've wanted windowing to work for a long time, but macOS just doesn't support that workflow right now. It gets pretty close with multiple desktop spaces, but you can't cycle through windows across apps within a space as far as I know. And personally I just can't stand managing overlapping windows. I find it really tedious to have to constantly drag windows around and make little size adjustments to get to what I need to.

So I don't actually use desktop spaces because of that, I just create multiple full screen spaces with split views, but of course that only supports two windows per space, and it's always been an awkwardly half-baked feature with tons of issues. For multiple major OS versions, when I command-tab to an app, there's like a 10% chance that it just picks a completely unrelated space to switch to and I have to command-tab back and forth to get it to take.

Anyways, stage manager obviously has overlapping windows too, but it seems like the way they're automatically managed by the system to some degree takes care of the issues I have with that.

Something I'm curious about is whether there's a gesture or shortcut to temporarily maximize / focus a window within a group and then restore it back to its original size...I feel like a four finger pinch gesture would work really well for that.

So yeah, assuming there aren't any weird limitations and it isn't a buggy mess like full-screen, stage manager should be a perfect fit for me! I do agree that all the different windowing features on macOS are feeling a little bloated though. I imagine they'll get streamlined over the next few years.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
To those with Ventura: Is iPhone-as-webcam as great as I think it will be? It seems like every purchasable webcam is crap, and for some reason my Fuji camera just refuses to work as a webcam with their software. This might be The Answer.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

thetzar posted:

To those with Ventura: Is iPhone-as-webcam as great as I think it will be? It seems like every purchasable webcam is crap, and for some reason my Fuji camera just refuses to work as a webcam with their software. This might be The Answer.

I think it’s pretty neat, don’t know what the masses will say but it works well and is noticeably better than the MBP 14’s web cam.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

I think it’s pretty neat, don’t know what the masses will say but it works well and is noticeably better than the MBP 14’s web cam.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I really don't want to be in high definition on work calls though

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I really don't want to be in high definition on work calls though

I don't think it'll still be high def by the time video conferencing services compress the poo poo out of it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

101 posted:

I don't think it'll still be high def by the time video conferencing services compress the poo poo out of it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Steve tried some really radical cancer cures at the end, eh?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Arivia posted:

Steve tried some really radical cancer cures at the end, eh?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chris Knight posted:

Often if you change the resolution of the monitor with a stuck window to something smaller it'll reposition it so that it's not under the menubar. Try that, or try click & drag the window from the left side in-between the buttons?

r u ready to WALK posted:

Use mission control for this, try the top answer from
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/335783/how-do-i-control-which-monitor-an-application-will-appear-on

I think triggering the "show all windows" shortcut in mission control should let you drag that stuck window back on screen too

Thanks cats. These suggestions worked... sort of. I don't really 'get' Mission Control, I mean I do understand it but it's never been a necessity for me in the past and I'm mostly confused as to why it started acting up seemingly out of nowhere.

And today it started happening for Chrome, too. Except unlike Rekordbox, Chrome appeared to be totally invisible. Even when I tried to open new windows, right-clicking on the app icon in the Dock showed that they existed, but they were nowhere to be found.

I turned on my fourth monitor (a TV across the room that I almost never use for this purpose), but there were still no Chrome windows in it. I turned off 'Displays have separate Spaces' in Mission Control, logged back in and out, still nothing, except all my displays' wallpapers reverted to something else. I messed with display resolutions and changed arrangement, and poof, the Chrome window appeared on the TV. So I dragged it back over to where it usually sits. Opened Rekordbox, and it did the thing it was doing before, except this time the top of the window was actually visible, so I could drag it to where it belonged.

Also now my Dock only opens on one monitor, which is frustrating. Well since this is a thing that apparently is going to happen now, I guess I should start using Mission Control to manage spaces. What's a good way to go about this? Should I turn 'Displays have separate Spaces' back on, or any of the other boxes under MC's Preferences pane ("When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application")? Ideally, it would be nice to have my browser and bittorrent applications as one space, another space that's DJ software (Rekordbox on one monitor, Traktor on another, iTunes and Rekordbuddy sharing another), and I guess one that's just a two-monitor Ableton Live setup.

Thanks for fielding this dumbass question.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

thetzar posted:

You can use NDI tools right now to use your iPhone as a webcam and see how it looks.
But yes, the quality of it is insane compared to any webcam I've ever seen.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TACD posted:

Excuse me, I've been busy but flagged your post to respond to when I had a second.

Yeah- so Stage Manager has a variety of uses and it can be used alone, or it can be paired with the other Mac productivity features like the ones you mentioned.

Personally, my workflow is based around a small number of apps that I'm constantly taking information from, inserting into another app, coding, and pushing. Therefore Stage Manager lets me have all of my tools on the left hand side of the screen and fully loaded into memory.

I can see what they're doing too; if a spec document is being worked on, I can set it up so I can see that in the preview pane, as stage manager puts the actual real app in the preview pane, its not static. That way I can easily track changes.

So my daily life is basically instantly paging through all of my apps with zero friction and it's helped a ton.

So far that's the main benefit of Stage Manager for me:

1) easy access to all of my apps and everything is loaded into memory and instantly usable. It tracks each app in its own window, so I can use all of my apps full screened and just shuffle between them at will.

2) Preview mode is surprisingly useful to watch collaborative documents or even have a youtube video playing in the background. So I have a real time look at everything people are doing in my projects. This is something you could never do with the default dock, and now that I am used to it, it would be hard going back. I still use the classic dock, but it's more for using apps that I don't have permanently open in stage manager.

I have an ultrawide, so I put the Stage Manager on the left, the dock on the right, and the center is where I do all my work.

Like I said before the use of any given Apple productivity workflow is going to really depend on how you personally work, but for me it's been awesome.

e: There are downsides too; for example you can't use your desktop while stage manager is active, so some people will hate it, others will love it, but I like what Apple is doing here; they are creating sets of interlocking productivity tools that you can loop together to create a great workflow. It takes time but can shave a lot of redundant effort off your tasks if you're willing to create something intuitive and, well, have a workflow that supports it.

The hard part is that the tools are kind of complex and it's on you to make something that fits, which can be a burden for sure. My workflow just happens to be great in Stage Manager and that's sheer luck more than anything.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 17, 2022

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Reminds me of Mr. Swirl Face:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So guess how I learned that Mail.app apparently now respects "recall" commands issued by Hotmail?

"You're welcome Data Graham [for acting on a request for mod action on a community art site that I've maintained since 1999]. You know you'll always have support from our community! But I have a question: who will take over the site when the sun sets on your time?"

Then the message disappeared as I was reading it

:ohno:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

So guess how I learned that Mail.app apparently now respects "recall" commands issued by Hotmail?

"You're welcome Data Graham [for acting on a request for mod action on a community art site that I've maintained since 1999]. You know you'll always have support from our community! But I have a question: who will take over the site when the sun sets on your time?"

:ohno:

lol so have you announced a successor??

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Data Graham posted:

Is it Mail.app, or the associated server?

I admit I have all my mailboxes set to POP3 to ensure a record exists.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For the record, I went poking and found the missing message in my Trash. So it's possible I hit Delete, but I really don't think I did. But I suppose I can't trust my senses or memory at this advanced an age.

I suppose I have to wait until more people start jockeying for position

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

For the record, I went poking and found the missing message in my Trash. So it's possible I hit Delete, but I really don't think I did. But I suppose I can't trust my senses or memory at this advanced an age.

Just watch out for usurpers.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Data Graham posted:

It's always the people you least expect who'll leave you naked by by the side of the road, clutching your stained torn party dress in one hand and an empty bottle of Crown Royal Peach in the other

Don't ask how I know this

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Taima posted:

Excuse me, I've been busy but flagged your post to respond to when I had a second.
Thanks for your reply — yeah I guess I’ll just have to try it in person to see if it works for me. I use a lot of full-screen mode and window snapping with Swish, maybe this could replace that second part.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You know, for all their vaunted speed, M1 laptops still take ages to run system updates..

had to help someone who got Monterey 12.1 on their M1 Pro laptop base 16 GB model and it still took half an hour to do the update..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
update on the neighbours - They got access to the email account in the end. They tell me they have taken my advice and written the password down, and set the recovery address to his email.

Took a while to find out because they had gone away for a week for a change of scenery.

Thanks for the advice.