Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Chicxulub Cryptocurrency Consortium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Here at Tulip Futures we guarantee your investment will always increase in value

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
https://twitter.com/MikeBurgersburg/status/1537862987784015872

if this guy is right these DeFi companies are looping collateral, using $1 to buy $4 of bitcoin from Lender A, that $4 to buy $16 from B and so on. buying on margin with margin on top of margin. and when they get behind they roll it over into a new loan like buying a new car by trading in your car whose loan is underwater and packing the two loans together into one. it works until someone finally needs to be paid back in real money and then BOOM

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
they are absolutely doing that and everything is falling apart.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
more like hole in the ground coin

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
we at Grover&Haus Associates are glad that you've made us the load bearing pillar of your financial future

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we let all those sweet, sweet returns flow straight over to you here at Boston Molasses LLC

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

here at lowtax investments we think you need financial regulations like you need another hole in your head

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

jonestown investments llc

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

PotatoJudge posted:

if this guy is right these DeFi companies are looping collateral, using $1 to buy $4 of bitcoin from Lender A, that $4 to buy $16 from B and so on. buying on margin with margin on top of margin. and when they get behind they roll it over into a new loan like buying a new car by trading in your car whose loan is underwater and packing the two loans together into one. it works until someone finally needs to be paid back in real money and then BOOM

so it's an ouroboros of scams, basically

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
instead of a single point of failure like in a centralised system we made it so in this decentralised system if any one part gets compromised they all come crashing down

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Neito posted:

So a lot of the exchanges were backed up by Terra, which was an "Algorthmic stablecoin" intended to be pegged to the dollar. The problem with this is that there were no actual real dollars in the system; Gerard explains it pretty well on his site:

What's important to note is that they had no plans for things like "What if we print more Luna but UST doesn't go up" or "Why would we code a circuit breaker into the magical money printer", meaning that once UST lost it's peg too low, they started printing billions of Luna, because there was no limit on how much Luna could be in existance at once. Then your standard crazy hyperinflation spiral starts: the peg on Terra fell faster than they could burn Terra to print Luna, and IIRC the two chains fell out of sync at one point, and I think they froze or forked the luna chain or something.

ETA: Gerard, as usual, explains it better than me: https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2022/05/10/terras-stablecoin-does-a-2008-crisis-ust-crashes-and-takes-bitcoin-with-it/

they DID have a circuit breaker to stop too many luna being minted in a day, which is what caused the first depeg -- the price was dropping too fast for the rate-limited burn-UST-for-luna mechanism to bring it back up to $1
they patched it to remove that breaker and allow unlimited conversion in hopes of bringing UST back up to the peg
at which point the hyperinflation deathspiral happened and luna dropped from its $60 high to $0.0000001

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

a venn diagram with a circle of people who know nothing about finance and a circle of people who know nothing about programming with the union being luna

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

At Apollo One Capital we're ready to launch to the moon.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

they are absolutely doing that and everything is falling apart.

yeah i mean of course they are

the only thing stopping you from doing that with regular lenders is that at some point it involves lying to someone in a way that’s fairly discoverable before the fact and really easily provable after the fact

good luck with that in defi

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PotatoJudge posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeBurgersburg/status/1537862987784015872

this is actually dumber than I expected and that is saying a lot

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
i think you guys are making those names up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i was going to make a joke about ozymandias capital, but that's a real thing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Fukushima Yamikin Finance

gschmidl posted:

Here at Fukushima Finance, your financial future is radiant.

gently caress youuuuuuu

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hopefully behavior like this stops now that the campaign donation checks are gonna start bouncing.

https://twitter.com/Dennis_Porter_/status/1537552882291167234

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Hopefully behavior like this stops now that the campaign donation checks are gonna start bouncing.

https://twitter.com/Dennis_Porter_/status/1537552882291167234

the gently caress is this poo poo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
senators are a lot cheaper to buy than matt damon

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
Big Bill Hell's Crypto: If you find a better deal, shove it up your ugly rear end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

senators are a lot cheaper to buy than matt damon

drat maybe i should buy a few

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

i was going to make a joke about ozymandias capital, but that's a real thing

hindenburg financial is real too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. naturally

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
At Piper Alpha Financial, put your foot on the gas for explosive returns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1537792339875438594?s=20&t=l1DQnZz4yzatBLqmyyuyxg

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ya don't say

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Closing the stablecoin after the money has bolted

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

that thing where they say hey i got a buck here but instead of using the buck i'm going to use this thing instead but don't worry it's exactly the same as a buck...never in human history has anybody anywhere ever done that wasn't trying to get away with something

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PiCroft posted:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

cleaning the augean stablecoin

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Beeftweeter posted:

hindenburg financial is real too
they do shorts after researching why x company is a disaster waiting to happen so it's appropriately named.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jose Valasquez posted:

here at lowtax investments we think you need financial regulations like you need another hole in your head

oh lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oil! posted:

At Piper Alpha Financial, put your foot on the gas for explosive returns.

username/post

windscale investments, guaranteed white hot returns.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SubG posted:

that thing where they say hey i got a buck here but instead of using the buck i'm going to use this thing instead but don't worry it's exactly the same as a buck...never in human history has anybody anywhere ever done that wasn't trying to get away with something

lol, basically this

offering a 1:1 peg with a guaranteed 15% APY is not something that's possible with any degree of stability

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
PEPCOiN

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

PiCroft posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

the buck stops here (pretend I’m holding up something)