Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Why didn't I like this movie? I feel like a maniac after seeing all the gushing praise it's received. It has two of my favorite actors of all time, my favorite stunt crew finally getting some Hollywood love, great performances, a bunch of wild ideas, and a genuinely beautiful message.

But I just....didn't like it! At all! It was a complete and utter slog for me to get through.

:psyduck: I think my brain is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s okay to not like something

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CelticPredator posted:

It’s okay to not like something

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's basically sensory overload the movie... a lot of people are bouncing off for the same reason.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d never really heard the term “maximal film making” before I heard the director talk about this movie and how making it was basically doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing right now and it was kind of eye opening to realize that there’s this whole other style of movie making that it turns out I really enjoy and kind of prefer to minimalist filmmaking conceits but these kinds of movies seem like they would be so hard to do well. This movie reminds me more of stuff like The Lord of the Rings or MM: Fury Road, it’s just making a really loving gigantic movie with a really gigantic story and telling it in a really big way.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah Daniels are big maximalist. See also Baz Luhrmann along with others mentioned.

Here’s a review of Everything by a big minimalist:

https://twitter.com/kogonada/status/1513575841208287236?s=21&t=E0U87hk6SlG0wVzsg2qSXg

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

apatheticman posted:

It's basically sensory overload the movie... a lot of people are bouncing off for the same reason.

Also very long for how intense it is. I'm glad I didn't watch it after a full day at work, I would have been exhausted by the end.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why didn't I like this movie? I feel like a maniac after seeing all the gushing praise it's received. It has two of my favorite actors of all time, my favorite stunt crew finally getting some Hollywood love, great performances, a bunch of wild ideas, and a genuinely beautiful message.

But I just....didn't like it! At all! It was a complete and utter slog for me to get through.

Well at least we are two. For me it was too long and after fight scene number 73 I had lot interest. It ended better than I would have predicted half way through but still it was too much for too long for me.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I didn't like it that much, I think mostly because of its, i don't really know how to describe it but it's very common in American movies, like overbearing schmaltzy sentimentality. A lot of good stuff other than that

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Loved every inch of this movie. But especially Stephanie Hsu's dual performance. Blessed to have not known anything about this before I saw it.

Was hanging out with my father when he showed me the various things he was given for his retirement. Among them was this award which he failed to see the humor in:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's so strange to me how there's this fraction of people who just seem to reflexively hate this great movie

https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/1540871359613571074?s=20&t=9gukwwX-Hnh_jC_ultFnaA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh no not silly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Silly is good

I just saw Dr Strange and although the story was so-so I absolutely loved how silly Raimi’s directing was

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
She’s 84, so not surprised that it’s “over loud” for her.

But she’s also got a lot of um hot film takes and seems to hate on many favorites.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah an 84 year old stick in the mud not liking a movie made by 2 self diagnosed ADHD directors tracks.

It's ok for people to not like things.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Joyce Carol Oates being entirely too online was not something I had anticipated before a few years ago.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Joyce Carol Oates being entirely too online was not something I had anticipated before a few years ago.
All the old people are super-online now and it's turned their brains to warm cheese. Only Gonggong can be trusted

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Funny part is that she has absorbed the twitter/online tendency towards hyperbole that I usually associate with youth.

She could not just say the film wasn’t for her or she didn’t like it. But Nope, it has to the worst, most pretentious film ever, stating that there may be a worst film, but would require one to think for a while.

I guess Twitter anger connects to the theme of turning angry and bad when you get too connected to all the multiverses.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I finally watched this movie last night and enjoyed the poo poo out of it. I bought it so I'm gonna have a friend over and watch it again :hellyeah:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I love everything about and associated with this movie, including this thread. I particularly enjoyed reactions like this:

Lifepuzzler posted:

I watched it again this last Saturday, and I formally renounce all of my criticisms. It does a lot of stuff wrong, and doesn't hit the mark with every single line, but who gives a gently caress? Of course you could imagine a better way to do the things that didn't resonate with you because that's how the multiverse works. Getting disappointed in something that didn't happen, or could happen differently, is in opposition to what this movie was trying to say. This movie is a refreshing beam of light that stands out from the darkness of the last 2.5 years.

I saw it in theaters five times and it really clicked the second/third time. It's not just dense with details, the emotional journey can blur some details. My wife identified with Joy and I identified with Weymond so we each spent 1/3 of the movie with tear-blurred vision.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
A24 knows what the people want

https://shop.a24films.com/products/auditor-of-the-month-trophy-candle

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
A candle too beautiful to burn

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Michelle Yeoh deserves an Oscar for her delivery of "Joy? Why do you look so stupid?" alone.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

checkplease posted:

Funny part is that she has absorbed the twitter/online tendency towards hyperbole that I usually associate with youth.

She could not just say the film wasn’t for her or she didn’t like it. But Nope, it has to the worst, most pretentious film ever, stating that there may be a worst film, but would require one to think for a while.

I guess Twitter anger connects to the theme of turning angry and bad when you get too connected to all the multiverses.
Though the root causes may - and often are - be legitimate, the condition of 'social media outrage' is, I think, born of a desire to be heard. If you're hyperbolically mad, maybe people will see you, and notice you. (There are often considerable monetary incentives to go with it.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

live with fruit posted:

Michelle Yeoh deserves an Oscar for her delivery of "Joy? Why do you look so stupid?" alone.

And a supporting nom for James Hong for when he pulls the Googly eyes off and says “So stupid!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of the things that really sits with me about this film is that, to me personally, everything landed. I can’t find a weak link, a bad performance, a joke that I didn’t get. It’s like Evengelion, I’m in 100% sync with this film, everyone back in the control room is like “whoa, oh my god, this movie is perfect!”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

live with fruit posted:

That and the little duck walk she does when she comes out of hiding.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
A24 podcast has an episode up of the Daniels talking with Daniel Radcliffe. So all Daniels. It’s a fun listen where they talk a lot of Swiss Army man, some everywhere, everything stories, and and other random discussions. It’s very silly and you can see how Radcliffe was such a good fit.

Highlights include who rubbed the Vaseline on Radcliffe’s butt for the farting corpse butt mold.

Found a link! https://a24films.com/notes/2022/06/off-to-the-races-daniels-daniel-radcliffe

checkplease fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 8, 2022

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

checkplease posted:

farting corpse butt mold.

Mods, name change please? Thanks and God bless

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTc2uuWE_ZE

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/papricots/status/1545518354894655488

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

I was looking forward to this but now I feel kinda silly, don't really know what I was expecting but probably not the most milquetoast take that the movie is really good but also maybe a bit long, kinda feels to me like they didn't really have a lot to say about the movie and that perhaps the way the approached this movie was largely affected by the fact that they felt compelled to make this review because their audience demanded it? I know this is silly cause it's just an RLM review but still, w\e.

The too long complaints, like I can see where they're coming from but the movie is already pretty condensed and it feels to me like the emotional journey is really at its core, the final act is kind of what grounds the whole thing, ending it when Evelyn is giving everybody happy endings at the stairwell as Joy is making her way to the bagel is just... it's like an intentionally false ending, Joy and Evelyn's happy ending is all about Evelyn growing in a realistic manner, it's not about Evelyn using superpowers to make the world a better place, it's about choices anyone could make at any moment.

The ending makes the movie sincere, imo.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 9, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm a big RLM fan but a lot of their reviews seem kind of phoned in lately. They only really do a deep dive into something when it's Star Trek or an old favorite they're doing a re:view video on. Otherwise you get something like their Kenobi videos where it's like "it's good because it's bad and cheap" (each episode costs 25 million, the same as EEAO). Like you guys are critics, c'mon.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 9, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

I'm a big RLM fan but a lot of their reviews seem kind of phoned in lately. They only really do a deep dive into something when it's Star Trek or an old favorite they're doing a re:view video on. Otherwise you get something like their Kenobi videos where it's like "it's good because it's bad and cheap" (each episode costs 25, the same as EEAO). Like you guys are critics, c'mon.

Jay in particular seems completely over it. Mike at least puts some thought and energy into his critiques.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah they really should have just went into spoilers to explain more without it its like a 10 minute review felt like they were just rehashing the same talking points.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like “really good but overly long and overstayed it’s welcome and is maybe too enamored with its own creativity” were precisely the criticisms of most goons ITT.

When Jay said “maybe if I’d seen it when I was 20 it would have been my favorite movie ever” that tells you all you need to know about Jay and about his relationship to this movie (and this job, honestly).

I’m firmly in the camp of “you’re literally supposed to be exhausted and overwhelmed, that’s by design” but they both said that they liked it and would recommend it to most people, that’s about as good as it gets, there’s maybe 5-6 movies on their whole channel where all of the boys LOVE something

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Yeah I started to feel the length of the film around the rock scene, but RLM emphasized that criticism a little too much though. But I'm glad they covered the film at all compared to the nth superhero movie that came out this year (I hope they never review The Batman).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1549806790036135936?s=21&t=C_k_OHOYimLoBe28oVtnoQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd complain but there is literally nothing coming out for the rest the year