Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I just had a thought: I used to write the company newsletters at my last job. We'd send these out to our client companies, roughly 90k of covered lives or so. Would that type of thing look good as a writing sample? Word count was usually between 400-600 words, depending on topic and length. And my name is on the form as the author, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

MEIN RAVEN posted:

So I've been looking through this thread because I'm having something akin to a midlife career breakdown, and I'm not sure I can be a "professional" in my field much longer. Thankfully I have a really supportive partner who is far happier than I am in her work and able to support the two of us. She even offered to let me be a kept man. But I still have a few debts I'm paying down, and also I really feel like I'd need to make SOME money, so my question is:

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the easiest/best/most reliable way to make maybe 25k a year or so on the internet would be? I am a capable writer but don't have any formal experience in copywriting or editing. I could potentially look at doing transcription work or something of that sort, but also I just....would love any ideas. I'm pretty loving burnt out and could honestly see spending a year or two doing absolutely nothing of note, so any thoughts here would really be appreciate.

This is much different from what usually discussed here but If you’re able/willing to leave your house often you can probably make (profit) close to 25/k year flipping if you’re able to hustle.

You’re making money online but sourcing your products will mostly happen at garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, auction houses etc.

You can test it out by selling old stuff lying around your house to see how you like it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

A buddy of mine does the ebay flip thing, once you pick a couple niches and know what you can a) find locally and b) quickly assess, it can be lucrative. It's also pretty feast-or-famine, at least here, because garage sales and stuff only happen part of the year.

Astro7x posted:

My friends that work for Writers Domain say that Writers Access is more lucrative, but yes, it is more work with fighting for open orders, getting on clients love lists, and a much slower start because of it. I really don't know much about it though.

For me it's just too much pressure knowing that clients are actually reading that stuff. The WD 400 word SEO spam blogs are perfect for me, because I can just churn them out and don't worry too much about them, because someone is getting paid $1 to quickly review my article before it gets automatically published to some word press site where no one will read it except google bots. The Writers Domain 600 Word Onsite Blogs are actually put on client website and scrutinized much more because of that.

I swear that the amount of time I've spent writing and revising one 600 word article for $30 I could have spent writing 3 of the 400 word ones for $45. And I also get paranoid about revision requests on those, because nobody ever sends the 400 word ones back for revision unless you have tons of grammar problems. I don't even proof read them anymore, I just send them off as soon as I finish

Yeah this is definitely true. It varies from client to client (some of them basically accept anything, some are really picky) but it's definitely more stressful.

I will say that my friend who does significant amounts of work on WA says that most of the clients running love lists don't actually care about or read your application; she got on dozens if not hundreds of them just by clicking apply and sending in a blank application.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I just had a thought: I used to write the company newsletters at my last job. We'd send these out to our client companies, roughly 90k of covered lives or so. Would that type of thing look good as a writing sample? Word count was usually between 400-600 words, depending on topic and length. And my name is on the form as the author, which is nice.

No, they want you to write a very specific style of article that meets their guidelines.

I did that application like 8 years ago. What are the topics for the writing sample?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I live in Seattle and could definitely see flipping as a way of bringing in some beer money. I have an Ebay account from FOREVER ago and used to sell some things on there, so I could pick that up. I'm not at all against leaving my house, so much as I don't want to do anything that requires much in the way of responsibility. I swear I'm not a child here, I've just had an awful set of years in the healthcare field and I am....really tired. In a way I've never known before. Would be nice not to have to be responsible for anyone's needs for a while.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MEIN RAVEN posted:

No, they want to see if you can write an article that follows their guidelines. They don't care if you've written novels, because that doesn't mean that you can follow their guidelines that they decided are optimized for SEO searches.

Here is an example of a 600 word Dentist Article on teeth sensitivity that actually lives on a client site

https://thewhiteninggals.co/blogs/news/what-to-know-about-tooth-sensitivity-and-teeth-whitening

Here is a 400 word article that goes into some SEO blog that nobody reads.

https://senbon-sakura.com/2016/11/29/have-sensitive-teeth-know-these-natural-ways-to-resolve-sensitivity/

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If you're getting into flipping, try to make your niche one of smaller items, otherwise you're going to end up in inventory hell waiting for things to sell (and then paying out the rear end for shipping). I've heard fashion's a good route if you can learn to quickly identify the right brands and you check the right neighborhoods.

I fell off Writer's Domain years ago when posts there were scarce and they started rejecting articles over piddly poo poo, but if it's good again I'll have to see if my account is still active. I made good money on there for a while, in the glory days of "write 400 words in an order that sort of makes sense and get $20"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Everett False posted:

I fell off Writer's Domain years ago when posts there were scarce and they started rejecting articles over piddly poo poo, but if it's good again I'll have to see if my account is still active. I made good money on there for a while, in the glory days of "write 400 words in an order that sort of makes sense and get $20"

It's has its ups and downs with the reviews. I feel like when they would bring in a new crop of college students around the Fall to do the editing/reviews, you'd get these people that just didn't understand what it was for and be overly critical. Then a month later it was back to normal once they realized the more they reject the more they have to review again. I also think they gave the reviewers the ability to change more stuff on the fly. It used to be that if there was a mistake in the title they'd send it back without even reading it. Now they'll just change the title if there is a small problem with it.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Astro7x posted:

No, they want to see if you can write an article that follows their guidelines. They don't care if you've written novels, because that doesn't mean that you can follow their guidelines that they decided are optimized for SEO searches.

Here is an example of a 600 word Dentist Article on teeth sensitivity that actually lives on a client site

https://thewhiteninggals.co/blogs/news/what-to-know-about-tooth-sensitivity-and-teeth-whitening

Here is a 400 word article that goes into some SEO blog that nobody reads.

https://senbon-sakura.com/2016/11/29/have-sensitive-teeth-know-these-natural-ways-to-resolve-sensitivity/

I actually really like those examples. It's delightfully mindless, which is something I might really like at this point in my life. Definitely something I'll look in to more during my leave.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Astro7x posted:

It's has its ups and downs with the reviews. I feel like when they would bring in a new crop of college students around the Fall to do the editing/reviews, you'd get these people that just didn't understand what it was for and be overly critical. Then a month later it was back to normal once they realized the more they reject the more they have to review again. I also think they gave the reviewers the ability to change more stuff on the fly. It used to be that if there was a mistake in the title they'd send it back without even reading it. Now they'll just change the title if there is a small problem with it.

That would explain it, at one point I think I recall refreshing wildly for hours just to get One article only to have it get docked stars/pay for something like not being engaging enough. At that point it was like, "you are definitely not paying me enough to write thoughtful, engaging copy" and I gave up.

My favorite article I ever wrote for Writer's Domain was something bizarre about asphalt because I actually, weirdly, learned a lot about asphalt.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

One time for Textbroker I accepted a project for a "total website rewrite" that was like 20,000 words worth of website pages they wanted spun out, I think it was about makeup and dermatology and stuff. I did it, and the ~4 days or whatever passed with no comment and it got autoaccepted and paid me for it.

Then like two days later I got a long-rear end message from the client about how my content loving sucked rear end and how they were out of the office but they 100% would have requested revisions and probably rejected it because it sucked so bad. Also, would you be willing to revise it for free since it's past the revision period within the system, pretty please?

Lmao hell fuckin' no dawg, that poo poo didn't pay me enough to be worth the time in the first place, and after you insult me? gently caress off with that.

I later saw it in the open pool again with some preface like "our previous writer sucked and turned in garbage so we're forced to try again" and I was sorely tempted to accept it again, sit on it for a few days, then cancel it, just to further delay them. I didn't, but man I wanted to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've got a bunch of 2-3 hour Zoom meetings scheduled over the next few weeks that are mandatory, but only involve me for about 15 minutes. What would be the best way to make some money while trapped at a PC, but needing to keep an ear out for ~18 hours in 2-3 hours chunks?

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hey folks! Daily Transcription is looking for folks in Canada, the US and the UK! so if you're thinking you'd like to give transcription a try they're not a bad company to start with. For those that have worked with them before it looks like Sally has moved on and Ceci is now their project manager. Rates aren't amazing, $0.60-$1.10 for basic rate, but I've seen worse to be honest and to get your feet wet and generate a bit of money in the month they're not bad, and they do pay consistently and on time. Or at least that was always my experience with them.

Have a good one folks!

Oh, and if anyone has recommendations on good sources for voiceover work, I'm building my kit to branch out :) Hope everyone is well!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Thanks for the heads up! I went ahead and gave it a shot.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Are they still a shitshow to work for? I'll never forget the time they decided to report one, and only one, of my paychecks to a different state, for no reason.

v Of course they did. I'm sorry to hear that.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 24, 2022

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Oh no loving clue on that account. I got the sack when they had that whole California says you have to treat people like people and they didn't seem to be keeping Canadians. But they've moved some people around it seems.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Yeah, I gave them a ping when some of my other clients slowed down and I saw an ad saying .75-.85 a minute, which isn't *terrible* nowadays, but the first file they threw me was verbatim transcription at .60/minute and I told 'em I had to pass. They weren't bad to work for when I worked for them, but that was back in the 2012 range so things might have changed. If you do go with DT and you're US-based, do a couple of months and then start watching Craigslist like a hawk. There are still outfits hiring at $1 a minute or thereabouts, but they want demonstrable experience nowadays.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I applied yesterday to DT. I'm shocked to learn today I didn't pass their transcription sample test. I spent a couple hours pouring over that four-minute sample video to get the transcript and formatting as perfect as possible. I passed their test years ago in 2016 and did a few months of productive work for them before quitting (due to finding other, more lucrative work at the time), so I know I'm capable. This sucks; DT was gonna be my fallback for being unable to find any other online work I was decent at.

Curvature of Earth fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 29, 2022

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Wow, found a new bottom of the barrel. TranscribeMe lists on Flexjobs at $15 per hour.

Any transcriptionists can guess what they actually mean.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey guys, I have a question. Is it possible to earn just an extra $25 a day online? If so, what would you recommend. Reason why I'm asking is I love my current job and I have no real desire to leave it at the moment, however, the industry I'm in has been very heavily impacted by the chip shortage around the world. While I personally am expecting things to recover back to normal or close to it sometime next year, hopefully first quarter, maybe second, in the meantime I would like to supplement my lost earnings by doing online stuff.

I chose the 25 dollar mark just because when I was first thinking about it I thought that I would prefer 50 dollars a day, but decided that might be too unreasonable for someone just starting online work. So I halved my expectations, but I do want to preferably get into something that I could either take or leave at my leisure (when the recovery happens in my field most likely), but also possibly pivot to doing full time in a year or two. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

$25 a day is pretty doable with writing through the content mills, especially once you get established, though it can be feast-or-famine starting out before you get on a bunch of teams. Textbroker looks pretty thin on the ground since they moved everything to team orders so you'd need to apply for those. Writer Access uses casting calls the same way but may be more accessible. I dunno firsthand though about any of them these days, I've been out of the content mills for years now.

For reference at Textbroker's pittance 4-star rates, 1,000 words is $14, though a lot of the teams are a bit higher rates than the public pools. Writer Access is generally a bit higher, I think. You can also try Verblio, Constant Content, maybe even Zerys if they still get work.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Definitely recommend verblio, 600 words is $23 (though you’ll have to start with 300/$11 until you’ve written a few dozen)

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Does Verblio have you responding to a prompt like Writer's Domain, or is it one of the more "throw an article out and see if anyone bites" type?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I believe it's kind of a hybrid? Like, companies come in and post prompts and guidelines, and you write something for it, but other people can also write something for it and the company can buy however many of them they want. I have no idea about the practicality of it or how often a person gets passed over (or if companies generally just buy the first things that come in) though. I signed up because a friend of mine said they had a rush order paying her like $400 for a 1200-word post, but I haven't seen anything of the sort, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't really like writing on spec, but I suppose you could repurpose something you wrote for another site?

What is an example of Verblio's articles to get an idea of reasonable expectations?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Thank you guys for the advice. It sounds like Verblio is what I'm looking for? My next questions concern both registration and expectations. Doing a small amount of research about the site, I'm seeing that only 5% of applicants get accepted, which is rather low, do you know their criteria for acceptance or is it needs-based ("they need more writers, so they accept more applicants" deal)? Second, what deadlines do they set or is it client based? Again, at the moment I'm looking for just a small side thing I can do in my free time (being able to pivot to doing it more frequently after a year or so is icing on the cake ofc), having strict deadlines is kind of a bummer, but not a dealbreaker.

Also +1 to Astro's request.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Almost everything on cheatsheet.com, motorbiscuit.com, or sportscasting.com is from Verblio. Just standard SEO fare crammed with keywords. You’ll start by writing on spec but all that stuff is direct assignment meaning there’s no competition or risk of decline as long as you follow the style guide. It can take a while to start getting assignments but assuming you want to do it long term I’d say it’s worth putting a little time in

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Astro7x posted:

I don't really like writing on spec, but I suppose you could repurpose something you wrote for another site?

What is an example of Verblio's articles to get an idea of reasonable expectations?

They do explicitly say that if a client doesn't buy what you put up, you can reuse it for a different client with a similar request, or you can use it as a profile sample, so I assume you can also just take it and list it on Constant Content's marketplace or something like that too. I also hate spec writing, so I feel you there.

Gologle posted:

Thank you guys for the advice. It sounds like Verblio is what I'm looking for? My next questions concern both registration and expectations. Doing a small amount of research about the site, I'm seeing that only 5% of applicants get accepted, which is rather low, do you know their criteria for acceptance or is it needs-based ("they need more writers, so they accept more applicants" deal)? Second, what deadlines do they set or is it client based? Again, at the moment I'm looking for just a small side thing I can do in my free time (being able to pivot to doing it more frequently after a year or so is icing on the cake ofc), having strict deadlines is kind of a bummer, but not a dealbreaker.

Also +1 to Astro's request.

As far as registration, I remember it being pretty simple with a grammar test you had to pass and that was practically it. Edit: I think actually I was more recovering an old account, not registering from scratch, so YMMV. I doubt the 5% acceptance rate is real, that sounds like marketing "we only hire the top 5% of talent!" which is nonsense they say to make it sound like they don't just pick up anyone off the street who can google the grammar questions and find the stackexchange discussion page for them or whatever.

Deadlines seem client-based but admittedly I don't have any first-hand experience actually writing for them. I was out of the mill game before Verblio rebranded from Blogmutt and changed up their back end, and even then I didn't actually do any work for them before either. It kind of looks like a lot of clients don't have deadlines, which is good if you don't want time pressure, but bad if you want some consistent idea of when they'll swing back in and buy something.

Their dashboard looks like this:

Picking a client gives you something like this:

Or this:

Or sometimes this:

And below that you have a chart like this:

Along with the text box to write and submit.

Disclaimer: This is all at their 3-star just-registered baby level, things may be different once you've done some work and increased your ranking in their system.

Fake edit:

Spokes posted:

Almost everything on cheatsheet.com, motorbiscuit.com, or sportscasting.com is from Verblio. Just standard SEO fare crammed with keywords. You’ll start by writing on spec but all that stuff is direct assignment meaning there’s no competition or risk of decline as long as you follow the style guide. It can take a while to start getting assignments but assuming you want to do it long term I’d say it’s worth putting a little time in

Yeah as with any content mill like this, once you get skin in the game and start getting direct assignments it all becomes a lot more consistent/lucrative/potentially flexible, as desired. But, it can take a bit to get established to that point. How long, I don't personally know.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 15, 2022

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Some of those instructions seem way too involved for $11.50. While others seem perfectly acceptable. Writers Domain pay like 14.75 for 400 words, so $11.50 for 300 is in line with that (slightly better per word actually)

I also have a collection of nearly 15,000 articles I've written for Writers Domain over the past 9 year, so I am sure there would be plenty of old stuff I could just rewrite with the same ideation.

How do they screen for plagiarism? I know that WD runs the articles through Copyscape and then an internal check against stuff in the system that has not been reviewed, and I've learned that if you rewrite anything, you should try to stick below 10% duplicated content without it being flagged for someone to look at it. And I've only ever had one article come up with a plagiarism flag in all that time, and it was based on a piece of content I didn't even use. So I probably rewrote something that someone else rewrote from that article.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

As far as I know pretty much everywhere just uses Copyscape, or has a disclaimer and tells clients to use it themselves. I have no idea personally what Verblio uses though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, I was surprised that WD was so open and honest about what flags for plagiarism.

I started running stuff through the free Copyscape "Compare Two Documents" tool and haven't had issues since

https://www.copyscape.com/compare.php

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Speaking of writing tools, can I just say I hate Grammarly with the burning fire of a thousand suns? One of my clients requires me to run everything through it as a final step, and they're utter masters at monetization-- it's absolutely free, BUT you can't tell it "ignore this issue" unless you pay for the loving thing. So if I do an hour-long transcript, I then have to click "dismiss" like 250 times to get it to ignore all the bad grammar or inefficient wording the subject used. I'm considering subscribing just for the ability to shut the loving thing up.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I pay for Grammarly and it still fuckin' sucks. You can tell it to ignore certain issues but it's broad categories of issues, so if you wanted to keep one of them but ignore the rest, get hosed.

Also it's frequently just wrong. For example:

I basically just use it for a bunch of colored outlines on sentences I should take a look at when I'm editing for my writers, but make judgment calls myself because its suggestions are so awful so much of the time.

The "best" part is, I've tried a couple of the other grammar check AI systems and they're worse.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I get what this is trying to do, but the grammar is wrong with it being AI generated an trying to put it in the opposite order. I forget which grammar rule this is called off the top of my head.

WD also dings me all the time on passive voice and dummy subjects, and I hate it.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

Speaking of writing tools, can I just say I hate Grammarly with the burning fire of a thousand suns? One of my clients requires me to run everything through it as a final step, and they're utter masters at monetization-- it's absolutely free, BUT you can't tell it "ignore this issue" unless you pay for the loving thing. So if I do an hour-long transcript, I then have to click "dismiss" like 250 times to get it to ignore all the bad grammar or inefficient wording the subject used. I'm considering subscribing just for the ability to shut the loving thing up.

What the gently caress why? What would be the point on a transcript?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Slightly Used Cake posted:

What the gently caress why? What would be the point on a transcript?

No clue but it's a freaking nightmare. I do know that the first test transcript I turned in I didn't run it through Grammarly and they knew. The only thing I know it constantly wants me to do is manipulate commas and hyphenate terms, so maybe when they realized their run-through was finding a lot of poo poo like "first time" and "second place" and stuff without dashes they figured it out. Of course, I can't just hit "accept" on everything because it'll put commas and dashes in really stupid places, so hey. But yeah, any time I'm doing a transcript where the want it remotely verbatim I know the stupid robot's going to scream at me that they used the word "really."

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
For those who want to do the whole writing thing, check out ClearVoice as well. You do need some prior published content to build out your portfolio before you get approved though. I started out with 500-600 word articles for $40, but do randomly get 600 words for $97.50 from this one particular client. Everything else is anywhere in between that. It can get thin at times just like every other site though.

e: I still do LionBridge, which is now Telus International. But they must have a worker shortage because they are offering weekly bonuses of $75 for hitting 15 hours of rating.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 17, 2022

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Really getting frustrated with Writers Domain these days and the lack of work. I knew the endless work wouldn't last forever.... but it's a struggle to meet my personal quota for the day these days. It involves waking up at like 5am just to grab a single task, and then a mad dash in the evening to write/submit as much stuff as possible in 45 minutes before all the tasks go away.

On the flip side... it certainly motivates me to write faster and I feel like I'm spending less time writing the same amount. Just because I'm like... gently caress it, not even proof reading this poo poo. Submit and onto the next one.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The funny thing is, I found Telus after I asked my question and applied, but I haven't yet bit the bullet and taken the exam yet because I hear the exam to get accepted to one of the Telus jobs are super hard, way more difficult than the actual work you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

dms666 posted:

For those who want to do the whole writing thing, check out ClearVoice as well. You do need some prior published content to build out your portfolio before you get approved though. I started out with 500-600 word articles for $40, but do randomly get 600 words for $97.50 from this one particular client. Everything else is anywhere in between that. It can get thin at times just like every other site though.

e: I still do LionBridge, which is now Telus International. But they must have a worker shortage because they are offering weekly bonuses of $75 for hitting 15 hours of rating.

Huh. I've actually got published stuff under my pen name. The bad news is it's Demand Studios content-mill poo poo.

The funniest thing I ever saw was when I Googled my pen name and found people citing me. It's turtles all the way down.