Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Maugrim posted:

Can I have an invite too please? Assuming it's not completely dead.

Sent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Tyvm

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I don’t have plat but is there a way to get a discord invite? I’m a little over 1100 in daily and trying to work my way over 1,000 in rapid but I only have time for dailies and enraging myself being horrible at blitz.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Maugrim posted:

ditto

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I would also like to join the discord.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Maugrim posted:

c ur pms

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://discord.gg/67ushxsJ

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Finally got a lichess puzzle generated from one of my games :toot:
Chess goal #1 achieved. It's a 6 month old game so I guess their processing pipeline runs a long backlog.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Redmark posted:

Chess goal #1 achieved. It's a 6 month old game so I guess their processing pipeline runs a long backlog.

Do they notify you when this happens?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I made a weird thing that this thread might like. In the old video game Battle Chess, there's a unique capture animation for every combination of one piece capturing another. The maximum possible number of distinct captures in a game is 25. I recorded a series of moves against the Novice AI to achieve 25 different captures as quickly as possible. Of course, a faster solution might still exist, but this was the best I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O57QX-UBUs

If you want to see the game on a standard online chessboard, click here.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Redmark posted:

lets see!

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Zwabu posted:

Do they notify you when this happens?

You can check yourself at Puzzles (top menu) -> Puzzle Dashboard -> From my games.

https://lichess.org/training/s2BjT

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Chamale posted:

I made a weird thing that this thread might like. In the old video game Battle Chess, there's a unique capture animation for every combination of one piece capturing another. The maximum possible number of distinct captures in a game is 25. I recorded a series of moves against the Novice AI to achieve 25 different captures as quickly as possible. Of course, a faster solution might still exist, but this was the best I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O57QX-UBUs

If you want to see the game on a standard online chessboard, click here.

The big question for me is: if pawns just step out of the way for knights to pass surely they could do it for a Queen or rook, right?

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Redmark posted:

You can check yourself at Puzzles (top menu) -> Puzzle Dashboard -> From my games.

didn't know this, turns out i have one too https://lichess.org/training/CvWQf

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well at least I solved both of your puzzles on the first go.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Interesting sort of tactic from a game I played today. Black to find the only good move.

https://lichess.org/editor/r3k2r/pp2bppp/3p1n2/1N2p1B1/4P3/8/PPP2PPP/R3K2R_b_KQkq_-_0_12

I thought "Oh no, Nc7+ forks my rook" and played ...O-O. But that's a blunder, the correct move is ...Nxe4. If white insisted on Nc7+, after Kd7 Nxa8 the knight is trapped, so Black could take the hanging bishop instead and White is down two pieces for Black's rook. Obviously.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I made a chess.com account, did one lesson about the Italian game, and beat the lowest-ranked AI available. :confuoot:

I'd forgotten how utterly loving lost I am with this game but hey maybe this time I'll learn something.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Good reasons to look over even the games you win: Finding better moves than even the winning moves you made in the game.

In this game White had sacrificed a knight to start a withering attack on my king, which I wasn't sure I'd survive, but I found the critical move or two I needed to hold onto my king and the material. Then afterwards I had anticipated the fork that is the winning move here (Black to move), but if my opponent hadn't immediately resigned after I put him in check, I never would have found the continuation sequence that turns this from winning the exchange to a smashing easy victory.

Obviously after ...Ne2+ White has only one move that avoids mate, and I did consider following with ...Qf3+ to flush the king out to h3, but I didn't see an immediate way to mate or win White's queen by force, so if we'd played on I'd probably have settled for winning the exchange.

So after puzzling over it I asked Stockfish to take a look and it taught me something.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Good reasons to look over even the games you win: Finding better moves than even the winning moves you made in the game.

In this game White had sacrificed a knight to start a withering attack on my king, which I wasn't sure I'd survive, but I found the critical move or two I needed to hold onto my king and the material. Then afterwards I had anticipated the fork that is the winning move here (Black to move), but if my opponent hadn't immediately resigned after I put him in check, I never would have found the continuation sequence that turns this from winning the exchange to a smashing easy victory.

Obviously after ...Ne2+ White has only one move that avoids mate, and I did consider following with ...Qf3+ to flush the king out to h3, but I didn't see an immediate way to mate or win White's queen by force, so if we'd played on I'd probably have settled for winning the exchange.

So after puzzling over it I asked Stockfish to take a look and it taught me something.

Cool. I saw Qf3+ was annoying but had no clear move after, and thought back to Danya's advice, looking for a way to bring another piece in, but I couldn't find it. I didn't see that Kf7 to prepare Rh8 is unstoppable.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

fisting by many posted:

Cool. I saw Qf3+ was annoying but had no clear move after, and thought back to Danya's advice, looking for a way to bring another piece in, but I couldn't find it. I didn't see that Kf7 to prepare Rh8 is unstoppable.

Yeah. I did have the idea to try and bring a rook into it to attack the king or pin the queen by swinging the rook up and over the king, but it looked like White's bishop and pawns had everything covered. The king move is the kind of move that seems counterintuitive to me because it seems to expose the king to further attack, and that prevented me from considering it.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
NY Times profile of Daniel Naroditsky. He's starting a weekly chess column for them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Here is the first (free) puzzle:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/13/crosswords/chess/chess-replay-you-versus-frumkin.html

I hate their piece graphics so here is the same position:
https://lichess.org/analysis/r1b1qr1k/5ppp/2p1p3/p1PpP3/P2N1PQB/2P1R3/6PP/3n2K1_w_q_-_0_1

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I think that game/puzzle was also featured in Chessmaster 10 by Josh Waitzkin himself :D

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I hate their piece graphics

Great on Naroditsky to land the NYT column, but I'm trying to decide if I hate the NYT chess graphics worse or the piece set that gets posted here where the pieces look like cartoon chickens.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked that puzzle.

Zwabu posted:

Great on Naroditsky to land the NYT column, but I'm trying to decide if I hate the NYT chess graphics worse or the piece set that gets posted here where the pieces look like cartoon chickens.

Wow just putting that dude on blast.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

algebra testes posted:

I liked that puzzle.

Wow just putting that dude on blast.

He's not wrong though is he?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Yeah, whomever the poster is that has those wack pieces I've got nothing but love for you but seriously I just skip past all of your posts because it hurts my brain trying to figure out what the gently caress you're talking about.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

it's Fart Simpson

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
No Candidates thread? :negative:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

:justpost: one

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Doctor Malaver posted:

No Candidates thread? :negative:

in the past they've gone in SAS. You can make one if you want.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've only casually followed the last two candidates tournaments, but this year with nakamura's seemingly out of nowhere return to the top levels of professional chess, ding's marathon qualification attempt, and firouzja's first candidates appearance, it seems like there are some exciting story lines. i just wish the games didn't start at 6am pacific time

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I thought we created this thread with the idea of discussing major tournaments in it as well as general chess since there's not so much activity it's worth making them separate.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing candidates discussion here. But if anyone makes a new thread please link!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

in the past they've gone in SAS. You can make one if you want.

Must be cowboy themed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

algebra testes posted:

I liked that puzzle.

These long mating lines are just so much fun.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Looks like the answer to "will Rapport play complete nonsense and will he get killed because of it?" is, so far, "yes and maybe."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What's the longest a player ever held a piece during a tournament before making a move?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

(move 37) Duda-Ding is really interesting, because it looks like Ding is trying to create a win with black despite not actually being better. I've been learning a bit about these structures and they're pretty interesting, where the pawn blob in the middle (I know it from the white side, though Ding is black here) gives you quite good practical chances with a kingside attack even if the position never really locks up. Duda's queenside space advantage looks possibly strong, but so long as Ding controls the centre he's always going to have a threat on the kingside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Some good rear end chess in these here candidate matches.