Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
its hosed up that the game is preloaded on my switch but i cant play it yet. this is taunting me. im being taunted. nintendo should be nice to me and unlock it early.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Does Shez have a last name or can I just call them "Shez Q. Fire Emblem" like I do with every other FE character?
Shez McSheznpants Esquire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Does Shez have a last name or can I just call them "Shez Q. Fire Emblem" like I do with every other FE character?

Byleth's dad has a last name but basically no one calls them by it so we can assume that Shez has a last name but no one knows.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

its hosed up that the game is preloaded on my switch but i cant play it yet. this is taunting me. im being taunted. nintendo should be nice to me and unlock it early.

It's actual violence and I'm not happy about it :mad:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I hope they never bring up Shez's last name until we get to the credits and finally learn it's something really basic like Shez Jones.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mysticblade posted:

I hope they never bring up Shez's last name until we get to the credits and finally learn it's something really basic like Shez Jones.

Shocking twist ending: Shez was their surname all along!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've been calling them Shez Bruckner in my mind, after the mercenary captain from the prologue*, because I think it sounds like a nice mirror to Byleth Eisner.

*I don't think that was actually her name, but it's how I remember it. The paver and the ironmonger.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
John Shez.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

how could you do this to captain Berling

gone but never forgotten

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

They say that Shez is one bad--

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Amppelix posted:

how could you do this to captain Berling

gone but never forgotten

She adopted Shez into her mercenary troop and thus her family, and this is how she is repaid

Long live Shez Berling

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Shez It

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Shez Lounge

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Metis of the Hallways posted:

She adopted Shez into her mercenary troop and thus her family, and this is how she is repaid

Long live Shez Berling

I still laugh at the stark contrast between Shez being like 'my friends, no!!! Ashen demon.... how dare you!!!' And rushing to kill Byleth, refusing to give up, nearly dying twice...

And then a few minutes later she's like 'yeah I'm used to people dying, can't win them all, no reason to lose myself to revenge'. When arval notes that she doesn't seem that upset.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Shez Nuts

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm done with Blue Lions and now I'm with Golden Deer. I don't like them quite as much as Black Eagles, but they're definitely the second best faction in my view.

Raphael is pretty cool, but I absolutely hate his design. Personality is good though. Hilda is...maybe an airhead? It's hard to tell, I like her if only because she uses an axe, and axes are cool and good. Lorenz seems like the kind of guy I thought Ferdinand was going to be, but while Ferdinand turned out to be a total bro, this guy seems like he will not. I don't hate him, but if he keeps going on about how great he is because he's a noble, I'll probably get tired of him. Leonie is...fine, I guess. Probably the blandest of the lot, at least so far. Lysithea seems like she'll be pretty cool but she hasn't done a whole lot yet, I'm eager to see how good she'll be. Marianne...I don't hate, don't get me wrong, but she seems like "Bernie, except with a less interesting personality." She just has a personality I don't like interacting with. Ignatz seems like a weenie. I have a feeling he'll probably be better after the timeskip.

Also even though she's not officially Golden Deer, she doesn't show up in the other routes, anyway Shamir seems great.

Golden Deer seems like it has the most interesting characters though, outside of personality. I'm referring specifically to the fact Lysithea has two crests, which I haven't seen on any other character, and Marianne has a crest that is a mystery. So already I'm like whoa, what's going on there, that's kind of crazy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Hilda's character in 3Houses is less an airhead and more just lazy. She's skilled and smart but not very motivated.

Also Edelgard also has two crests. Not sure if Three Hopes will go into why but it's also why Lysithea is the only non-Imperial Edie has support convos with in Houses.

Marianne's crest is also a Three Houses thing it's the Crest of Beasts and supposedly ever bearer is doomed to turn into a monster, though it's also hinted to be church propaganda

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Edelgard also has two crests, but she keeps it secret; you can't even see her second crest in the menu until after the timeskip. It's pretty easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

And yeah, Lorenz is not a bad guy beneath the surface, but he really suffers from being in the same game and basic role as Ferdinand, who is just the best boy. Though I guess it also works the other way in that he's kind of a sex pest, but he's not Sylvain, though Three Hopes tamps down on both of those.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lorenz was designed specifically to give a bad first impression, so you understand that, yes, everybody else also sees him as pompous, self-absorbed, and generally obnoxious. It's to give him a starting point for character development, which I found satisfying to watch play out. If you're a Ferdinand fan, you should know that Lorenz and Ferdinand are the ultimate best friends of all time.

Leonie's two biggest character hooks relate to the school setting and her rivalry with Byleth, both of which don't apply in Three Hopes, so it's not clear what they'll have for her to do in Three Hopes aside from having professional respect for Shez.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm surprised there are so many trying this without having played 3 houses.

Does any one know if the writers for this are the same ones that did three houses?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm surprised there are so many trying this without having played 3 houses.

Does any one know if the writers for this are the same ones that did three houses?

Yep same core writing team.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Did you know that, in a Fire Emblem age long past, there were extremely few female axe users?

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 19, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bongo Bill posted:

Lorenz was designed specifically to give a bad first impression, so you understand that, yes, everybody else also sees him as pompous, self-absorbed, and generally obnoxious. It's to give him a starting point for character development, which I found satisfying to watch play out. If you're a Ferdinand fan, you should know that Lorenz and Ferdinand are the ultimate best friends of all time.

Leonie's two biggest character hooks relate to the school setting and her rivalry with Byleth, both of which don't apply in Three Hopes, so it's not clear what they'll have for her to do in Three Hopes aside from having professional respect for Shez.
Lorenz is unironically one of my favorite characters simply because he's kind of an idiot, but with good intentions? Like, a lot of his wartime supports are along the lines of "you shouldn't be here because as a commoner, it shouldn't be your responsibility to fight in the army. Nobles are supposed to lay down their lives in times of war, that's the cost of our privilege... but if you're also laying down your lives then my entire worldview shatters so please go home and let me protect you???"

he's an earnest idiot who never quite realized that A: most of the nobility does not give a poo poo, and B: that the rank-and-file soldiers have to come from somewhere

I like that him and Ferdinand are both slightly different takes on the idea of Noblesse Oblige, they're much more compelling than most fantasy characters whose defining trait is "nobility".

also he has stupid hair and awful fashion sense which just makes him funnier :allears:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Ferdinand in particular was a character I was sure I was going to hate, but his arc and growth (particularly in CF) was absolutely excellent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Lorenz and Ferdinand both ended up being characters I really enjoyed, specifically for their takes on the Noblesse Oblige idea.

Lorenz is an especially keen example of that I think. He's clearly super classist but he earnestly believes he's doing the right thing. He really, truly buys into the idea that, as nobility, it is his duty to defend the common people, and that leads him to be really condescending but again with the best intentions he could have behind that kind of thing. He's a really fun character.

Also I love how in CF, Ferdinand invents public education

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oh so post timeskip they just reveal Marianne's crest is the Crest of the Beast. Kinda weird they hid it before but I guess it's a bigger plot point in Three Houses.

Are support conversations between characters just not present at all in the demo? I got Marianne and Hilda's support level up to C, but it has a lock for each other on the support info screen and when I choose them it just says "This bond cannot be leveled up at this time."

And Shez you idiot one of the first things Claude told you about Lysithea is not to call her a kid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh so post timeskip they just reveal Marianne's crest is the Crest of the Beast. Kinda weird they hid it before but I guess it's a bigger plot point in Three Houses.

Are support conversations between characters just not present at all in the demo? I got Marianne and Hilda's support level up to C, but it has a lock for each other on the support info screen and when I choose them it just says "This bond cannot be leveled up at this time."

And Shez you idiot one of the first things Claude told you about Lysithea is not to call her a kid.

If they're locked they probably reference events later in the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

you think they were listening?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
They manage to do it TWICE in the C support. This sort of thing should give you a game over. Arval had their work cut out for them here.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

I’ve seen a couple; they’re definitely there. “This bond cannot be leveled up at this time,” was also in Three Houses; it means that the conversation references a plot event that has yet to happen. The timeskip in Three Houses was the big one, but there were also a bunch of events that’d affect individual supports.

Presumably something big will happen in the first few chapters to shake up the status quo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaziken386 posted:

Lorenz is unironically one of my favorite characters simply because he's kind of an idiot, but with good intentions? Like, a lot of his wartime supports are along the lines of "you shouldn't be here because as a commoner, it shouldn't be your responsibility to fight in the army. Nobles are supposed to lay down their lives in times of war, that's the cost of our privilege... but if you're also laying down your lives then my entire worldview shatters so please go home and let me protect you???"

he's an earnest idiot who never quite realized that A: most of the nobility does not give a poo poo, and B: that the rank-and-file soldiers have to come from somewhere

I like that him and Ferdinand are both slightly different takes on the idea of Noblesse Oblige, they're much more compelling than most fantasy characters whose defining trait is "nobility".

also he has stupid hair and awful fashion sense which just makes him funnier :allears:

In Three Houses he also spends a lot of time trying to (very properly and politely) romance women and failing terribly because his approach logic is "I'm a cool and good noble, and you're a cool and good noble, so we should associate with each other because the only thing better than a cool and good noble is two cool and good nobles" and then being absolutely flabbergasted and baffled when every single girl he talks to shoots him down for being a gigantic dweebus, which owns.

His friction with Claude is also pretty interesting, because it's not a power, jealousy, or pride thing. Lorenz simply initially believes that Claude doesn't take his nobility and the responsibility Lorenz believes that nobility confers on him seriously enough to be worthy of his position.

Lorenz is great.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Standard functions for the Charge Attacks in Three Hopes' classes:

C1 - Unique move specific to the class. (Much like in the original Fire Emblem Warriors)

C2 - Launcher.

C3 - Stun Gauge depleter.

C4 - Knockback attack.

C5 - Gathering attack with high damage.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lorenz is great because he is an idiot that everyone dunks on but he is just smart and good enough that you understand why everyone hangs around him for reasons other than dunking on him.

He's actually really great with Ignatz, for example.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I heard Three Hopes is supposed to be pretty okay and my favorite musou games are probably DW3:XL, Hyrule Warriors and PW3, so I suppose I should check it out.

To prepare I played through Three Houses on Normal/Casual (basically easy mode) and really liked it.

I named my Byleth "Blyat". I hope that carries over into Three Hopes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chinook posted:

I heard Three Hopes is supposed to be pretty okay and my favorite musou games are probably DW3:XL, Hyrule Warriors and PW3, so I suppose I should check it out.

To prepare I played through Three Houses on Normal/Casual (basically easy mode) and really liked it.

I named my Byleth "Blyat". I hope that carries over into Three Hopes

You can rename Byleth as you like, but if you have the save data, Three Hopes will read it in. If you liked Three Houses story/characters this will be a delight, given that Koei Tecmo did a ton of work on Three Houses as is. This isn't another team handling them, it's very much the same people just getting to tell a different story in the same setting.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

With the game coming out this week im surprised I havent heard anything spoiler related yet. Do we know how end game/post game will be?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Just a heads up but apparently the game has leaked so be wary of spoilers and other stuff.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, already seen the full roster out and about.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So do we know if there's a postgame where you get to gently caress around with everyone, or is it one house, one route, forever?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Three Houses did not grab me, but I do love Musou. That said I feel like I should play Three Houses at least once before playing this.

EDIT: Or I may end up going in anyway. It certainly sounds intriguing from some early reviews.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
For anyone curious about the roster,

Everyone playable from 3 Houses is in, including the Wolves and Church characters, as well as Rodrigue, Monica, Holst, Rhea, Jeralt, Gatekeeper, Anna, Sothis and Arvel

Also some additional interesting tidbits

You can recruit characters from other factions during the War phase but most are limited. Lysithea can be poached by the Empire for instance but not by the Kingdom. And some characters are only playable on certain routes and its on a sliding scale where the Kingdom only has 2 characters that can be recruited by the other factions at all (Ashe, Mercedes) while literally everyone from the Alliance can except Holst and Hilda. The Empire is somewhere in between with Caspar/Ferdinand/Monica/Manuela exclusive to them.

Most interesting part of this is Jeritza can actually be recruited into the Lions late game by Mercedes.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 22, 2022