Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

Except Kent, they know what they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hii76Plz7bI

I think this is specifically about a coalfield in Kent :eng101:

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
My home network isn't great and also not so useful in the garden so I'm looking at ways to improve it. I've currently got my router upstairs and 2 Powerline devices around the house to create WiFi hotspots and enable ethernet devices to plug in. One being my desktop and the other a Youview box. I don't have an easy way of directly running ethernet cable from the router to those devices. I don't have smart devices as I find Alexa/Google to be kinda creepy.

I was thinking of replacing with a WiFi mesh network to make WiFi seamless. I figure I'd probably need a couple of extenders that have ethernet output to plug in those wired devices. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've seen positive talk about the Eero but the extenders don't seem to have an ethernet option.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The eero locks you into their ecosystem and isn’t that great in my experience. I made a mesh with Linksys Velops and it’s amazing, much better than my old eero.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the sex ghost posted:

All Midlands towns are to be put into a north-south draft to be claimed by either side by public vote. Just as soon as we can agree on where the Midlands is

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I’ve got the Orbi system and it’s been good. The satellite is connected wirelessly (though there is option for wired) and it’s done a great job - the internal walls in my house are really thick, in the office upstairs I could barely get a signal with my virgin router and now it’s super fast.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think for a lot of people in the south, the North basically starts wherever people have an accent which isn't just some variant of estuary English, so it can't be clearly delineated geographically.

Same applies to 'the South West' as well.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/terryfuck45/status/1538104486488571904?s=21&t=14G3Us5SG4Fv7-C66HQ6xQ

Whole thing is ridiculous

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are there really three avon rivers lmao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Are there really three avon rivers lmao

It's derived from the Welsh word 'afon', which means 'river'. So yeah, you'd expect several to have that name.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Avon just means river.

E: Four in England, two in Scotland, various other bodies of water called Avon in both.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was assuming that yeah but I didn't know there were three of them lol.

Petition to rename them avon, avtw, and avthre

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
None of them are in Wales though, but they are all in places where Middle Welsh was widely spoken, so presumably multiple cases of Anglo settlers pointing at a river and demanding to know what it is and getting the obvious answer.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
My da sells rivers?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the etymology suggestion for the tees that it means "poo poo river"

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Anything north of a line between Tavistock and Bovey Tracey is The North :colbert:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The North starts wherever you stop seeing motorway signs directing you to THE NORTH

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely it starts when you see signs directing you to THE SOUTH

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's when you start seeing signs that say YESRTH

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The diagonal north south divide is a pretty good model, Jay Foreman good a video on it. https://youtu.be/ENeCYwms-Cc

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I would shift the border of the north down slightly as your map puts Sheffield outside the North which is clearly not accurate. I think you can draw a line from Ellesmere to Chesterfield, and then from Chesterfield to the Humber bridge and thats the boundry betweeen midlands and the north

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

[In angry north devonian] That's the Taw, not the Torridge

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Actually The North starts at Tyndrum

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

It's derived from the Welsh word 'afon', which means 'river'. So yeah, you'd expect several to have that name.

Mad that I never made the connection since the Irish for river is "abhann"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Aber/Inver

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sad Panda posted:

and the other a Youview box

You are probably running code I wrote right now :getin:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mad that I never made the connection since the Irish for river is "abhann"

The River Bann here in Co. Antrim might just mean River River then. :rolleyes:

Although Wikipedia does say An Bhanna translates as The Goddess (i assume in Old Irish).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

The River Bann here in Co. Antrim might just mean River River then. :rolleyes:

Although Wikipedia does say An Bhanna translates as The Goddess (i assume in Old Irish).

The best one is still Torpenhow Hill in Cumbria, which translates to Hillhillhill Hill.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's also Breedon on the Hill in Leicestershire, from the Celtic bre, the Old English dun, and modern English. Hill on the hill on the hill.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

The best one is still Torpenhow Hill in Cumbria, which translates to Hillhillhill Hill.

For those interested here is four minutes of Tom Scott wavering on whether this is accurate or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUyXiiIGDTo

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
As anyone from Plymouth will tell you, the North begins at Sainsbury's.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mossyfisk posted:

As anyone from Plymouth will tell you, the North begins at Sainsbury's.

Hahaha

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

I once bumped into a tourist who wanted to visit Lake Lochness, which bewildered me.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
slieve donard mountain

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Having lived in Warwickshire in Southam near Leamington Spa for a couple years in 2008 i can say that very much felt like where the divide was noticeable.

Weirdly knackered town with a fancy grocery store and polo ground for toffs with silly outfits, but also two local cafes and pubs full of folks who were salt of the earth hard working northern types who were born there and would die there and would mutter angrily about £11 organic chickens from Budgens bringing misery to all.

Oh, but everyone voted tory. Of course.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they may as well now keith party the non-alternative lol

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1537695730814619648

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

issuing correction on a previous post, regarding the blairite melt wes streeting. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/clickbaitrobot/status/1538149802206277632

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Streeting is so next up to bat isn't he?

The perfornative bullshit to get "sensible" types to point to him and say "see! Isn't that what you wanted? Why can't you radicals grow up and fall in line?? Get the tories out!" is really peaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

bessantj posted:

loving prick.
this guys has peak Tory mindset
https://twitter.com/DavidWalsh_M/status/1537791764014284800