Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I debate completing some CLE and turning my license back on.

You can be Florida Toona, gentleman lawyer.

(I think it's a good idea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Well this didn't work right.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Toona took the job I think, he took the job. I’m taking bets. O/U 5 months, -110

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Toona took the job I think, he took the job. I’m taking bets. O/U 5 months, -110

Sorry, gonna put my money somewhere a lot safer, like an NFT of a Bitcoin.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Put me down $100 on the over.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I took the job and if I don’t last six months, I will hand write letters on my letterhead to everyone who took the under, personally telling them they were right. :toxx:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Toona the Cat posted:

I took the job and if I don’t last six months, I will hand write letters on my letterhead to everyone who took the under, personally telling them they were right. :toxx:

I'm taking the under.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Whitlam posted:

I'm taking the under.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I’ll bottom as well.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I’ll bottom as well.

Since Meatbag is bottoming, I'm topping. I believe in you Toona!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whitlam posted:

I'm taking the under.

Over

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Whitlam posted:

I'm taking the under.

Et tu?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nah

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of weird jobs that might not exist in 6 months I'm hip deep in working with blockchain using tech company work and its crazy busy right now. Selling shovels in a gold rush i guess. Let's see if this job exists in a year lol

Everyone I talk to outside of is saying this will be a good experience down the line and I'm like how

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Speaking of weird jobs that might not exist in 6 months I'm hip deep in working with blockchain using tech company work and its crazy busy right now. Selling shovels in a gold rush i guess. Let's see if this job exists in a year lol

Everyone I talk to outside of is saying this will be a good experience down the line and I'm like how

Dealing with demanding man-children, who are toting around wildly unreasonable expectations and more money than they know what to do with, right before they lose it all to short-sightedness and bad decisions will make you perfect for family law

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

The only metric of success in a legal career is how far away you can get from having to deal with a client yourself.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah thats the only con. Apparently I have to "network" and not be a weird negative goon irl lame

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shageletic posted:

please let me know (a) when the restructuring lawyers show up and (b) who your largest unsecured creditors are

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I got a recruiting email for that but I ignored it. I doubt energy work lends itself well to this stuff but I did do work for a failing energy supply company that tried to expand into crypto. That was fun.

They filed Chapter 11 last month.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

disjoe posted:

I got a recruiting email for that but I ignored it. I doubt energy work lends itself well to this stuff but I did do work for a failing energy supply company that tried to expand into crypto. That was fun.

They filed Chapter 11 last month.

At least the lawyers get paid first in bankruptcy

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

At least the lawyers get paid first in bankruptcy

Always great to be first in line to be paid *checks notes* zero dollars.

gently caress me in the assets, baby.

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica
Are we all in agreement that billable hours are below the dignity of man?

I accepted a position with a law firm for a short while, but then resigned because they wanted me to literally record what I was doing in small increments of time using particular language, and then bicker with support staff about whether insurance firms and other major entities need to pay out. The sheer indignity of it, coupled with the low class and money-grubbing nature of civil discovery, was absolutely intolerable to me. I would rather be ground down to dust in the trenches of a county prosecution office (diversity and gay training aside) than live on my knees trying to run out the clock by trading pointless interrogatories in some private firm.

My retirement was yet again interrupted by a friend of a friend, who needed me to come work for a major chinese company, but at least this job allows me to behave like a dignified gentleman. Attorneys who bill by the hour are something else.

Parmenides fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 19, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nice piece of fish posted:

Always great to be first in line to be paid *checks notes* zero dollars.

gently caress me in the assets, baby.

you always check if there's enough assets to get you paid (if not the creditors) before taking a BK case

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Parmenides posted:

I accepted a position with a law firm for a short while, but then resigned because they wanted me to literally record what I was doing in small increments of time using particular language, and then bicker with support staff about whether insurance firms and other major entities need to pay out. The sheer indignity of it, coupled with the low class and money-grubbing nature of civil discovery, was absolutely intolerable to me. I would rather be ground down to dust in the trenches of a county prosecution office (diversity and gay training aside) than live on my knees trying to run out the clock by trading pointless interrogatories in some private firm.

My retirement was yet again interrupted by a friend of a friend, who needed me to come work for a major chinese company, but at least this job allows me to behave like a dignified gentleman. Attorneys who bill by the hour are something else.

:agesilaus:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Parmenides posted:

OTOH, if you can work a billable system well, life is easy.

For some people, billable systems click with them. I didn't mind the system we had because when done correctly anyone could click on your file and get up to speed just by reading your notes for each action.

The only place I worked that actively tracked billable hours was my short lived criminal defense life. We didn't bill these hours - they were just for internal use. All of our fees were earned upon hiring and were due up front.

Send an email? Put a copy of that email in the notes and write up who it went to in the client's file. Make a phone call? Put down the conversation in the notes. Draft something? Put a link to the document (we used google docs) in the notes. You assign the appropriate time to each (6 min increments) and move on. Court stuff would get entered in similarly right after I got back to the office. When I had to handle another attorney's case, it was super easy to just go pull up the casefile and read through their notes and know what's going on. We had an app on the phones that would allow us to see everything, too. Super handy stuff.

I can get how people would hate that, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

OTOH, if you can work a billable system well, life is easy.

For some people, billable systems click with them. I didn't mind the system we had because when done correctly anyone could click on your file and get up to speed just by reading your notes for each action.

The only place I worked that actively tracked billable hours was my short lived criminal defense life. We didn't bill these hours - they were just for internal use. All of our fees were earned upon hiring and were due up front.

Send an email? Put a copy of that email in the notes and write up who it went to in the client's file. Make a phone call? Put down the conversation in the notes. Draft something? Put a link to the document (we used google docs) in the notes. You assign the appropriate time to each (6 min increments) and move on. Court stuff would get entered in similarly right after I got back to the office. When I had to handle another attorney's case, it was super easy to just go pull up the casefile and read through their notes and know what's going on. We had an app on the phones that would allow us to see everything, too. Super handy stuff.

I can get how people would hate that, though.

I would love a system like that -- I want a note of everything i've done for later reference! -- IF it was quick, efficient, and fully integrated with outlook, word, google docs, whatever other software we were using.

I've never seen such a system, so it always takes me about as much time to document what I did as it did to do it.

OTOH I've never worked anywhere that actually required billable hour tracking either (nonprofits and public defender).

The biggest problem I have with tracking time is random calls coming through in the middle of other tasks in the middle of other tasks. And I have to take each call because like 3-4ths of my clients don't have reliable phones so that might be the ONLY time I get a chance to talk to them

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We used mycase, and it synced with stuff as needed. I can’t remember any major complaints, but it’s been a few years.

I totally get the middle of working on something else calls. I had one client that would call me from jail constantly. I would have to remind him all the time to stop talking about case stuff on monitored calls. His case file had so many one line phone call notes.

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica
Not only does it interrupt things, the whole "billable hours" process is another layer or two of menial work. It also provides a perverse incentive that may negatively impact the way you practice law and the overall efficiency of the legal system. I think it attracts a certain type of person, but I will leave it at that because I don't feel like copping another ban or probation from the soy-drenched mods of this benighted forum.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tell us how you really feel, op.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Parmenides posted:

Not only does it interrupt things, the whole "billable hours" process is another layer or two of menial work. It also provides a perverse incentive that may negatively impact the way you practice law and the overall efficiency of the legal system. I think it attracts a certain type of person, but I will leave it at that because I don't feel like copping another ban or probation from the soy-drenched mods of this benighted forum.

You were funnier when you were Hippokleides and didn’t care

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You were funnier when you were Hippokleides and didn’t care

That schtick has sailed.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Parmenides posted:

Sincerely and genuinely one reason I didn't practise law. Not the only one, before people come in about "but government" or whatever, but absolutely a contributing factor.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Billable hours are primarily a vehicle to allow whoever is reviewing them to deny some percentage of them, thereby justifying their own salary.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The PD offices I worked at in MI used Defender Data and required timekeeping, which was demeaning as hell and totally sucked. In HI we just wrote our notes in a physical file and our boss trusted us to do our jobs like adults, which surprise worked perfectly fine.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Patent law is pretty great if you hate billable hours because pretty much everything has been fixed rate for decades... otoh, the price of drafting a patent application has hovered around 10k since at least 2007.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Whitlam posted:

I'm taking the under.

Not an empty quote.

I love you Toona but lol

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Honestly "I was around for the last random bullshit and I know the hoops to jump through" probably will be good experience for whatever the next random bullshit is.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Parmenides posted:

Setting aside your gay training and life on your knees, yes, the only thing worse than doing time entries for billable hours is the underlying idea of 8+ actual hours of legal work a day for decades.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SlothBear posted:

Honestly "I was around for the last random bullshit and I know the hoops to jump through" probably will be good experience for whatever the next random bullshit is.

lol that's the idea, even though business is still crazy good (tho a part-time compliance job I had with one tech firm I had on the side is ending at the end of June, sadface).

I honestly don't mind billing. One sentence summaries is all I need, only bill stuff that is resulting in actual legal product. It helps focus my days, as a secret ADD dude.

e: just came back from a conference here in NYC (never went to these crypto things before but someone said I could get free grub, and yes, the food was awesome) what a goddamn freakshow I loved it.

Left in the middle of Andrew Yang going on about his Freedom Party. It's such a weird business to be in lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So I just received a payment from a class action suit and there's a deduction for a "PLRP Lein"
what is this? I'm waiting to hear back from the lawyers but all my bills are up to date.