Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think if you want a great android tablet you need to wait until next year for the Pixel tablet.

Evis fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Evis posted:

I think if you want a great android tablet you need to wait until next year for the Pixel tablet.

I've had pixel phones before, I had a 5x (awesome) and currently a 4XL (it's ok)

kind of lukewarm on them, though, the hardware is usually meh.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Even if you don’t want the Pixel tablet itself I think waiting is best. The Android tablet situation is nicely summarized by this Android Central review: https://www.androidcentral.com/tablets/apple-ipad-air-m1-long-term-review

Maybe once the Pixel ships and if Xiaomi et al sell a lot of android tablets app support for tablets will improve. I don’t use an android tablet though so if someone else that reads this thread uses their Samsung tablet for gaming it’d be great to hear a more informed opinion. I haven’t seen anything that disagrees with this too strongly in a few minutes on Google.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've got a tab s7 11" and while it's fast I regret buying it because android is poo poo for tablets. I mostly just use my partner's 12" iPad pro gen 2 instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Counterpoint, I have both a 2021 mini and an M1 iPad Air and I feel my Tab S8 Ultra is the superior tablet most of the time.

Unless you need Procreate or some other very specific iPad only creative app, I will die on the hill that app situation is, on the average, same or better on Android vs. iPad OS. The biggest difference is how iOS only apps run on iPad OS vs unoptimized Android apps and you'll run into far more iOS only apps than you may think. It makes no sense that an app has higher information density on an iPhone 12 Pro Max then an iPad Air.

The number of apps that benefit from a large screen layout are few and far between and the multitasking situation on the Samsung Tabs is so much better than iPad OS. The fact that Apple dropped the ball yet again with iPad OS 16 basically cements that they aren't interested in iPads gaining significantly more functionality.

I have the Mini simply because the Legion Y700 doesn't have a NA release and there are no other small tablets on Android that are fully featured. The Air I bought on a whim to try out and it's fine, but just fine.

The Tab 8 Ultra is really an amazing thing and the only reason why I don't use it all the time is it's more of a kickstand device than handheld and sometimes I want to use something smaller.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have a 2020 air and it's fine, I just have apps already on the other ecosystem

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, I have both a 2021 mini and an M1 iPad Air and I feel my Tab S8 Ultra is the superior tablet most of the time.

Unless you need Procreate or some other very specific iPad only creative app, I will die on the hill that app situation is, on the average, same or better on Android vs. iPad OS. The biggest difference is how iOS only apps run on iPad OS vs unoptimized Android apps and you'll run into far more iOS only apps than you may think. It makes no sense that an app has higher information density on an iPhone 12 Pro Max then an iPad Air.

The number of apps that benefit from a large screen layout are few and far between and the multitasking situation on the Samsung Tabs is so much better than iPad OS. The fact that Apple dropped the ball yet again with iPad OS 16 basically cements that they aren't interested in iPads gaining significantly more functionality.

I have the Mini simply because the Legion Y700 doesn't have a NA release and there are no other small tablets on Android that are fully featured. The Air I bought on a whim to try out and it's fine, but just fine.

The Tab 8 Ultra is really an amazing thing and the only reason why I don't use it all the time is it's more of a kickstand device than handheld and sometimes I want to use something smaller.

Maybe it's just my S7 but the scaling of everything in android feels way off, everything bigger than it should be taking up screen space for no reason.

Anyway for gaming who cares because you'll be in full screen anyway, it runs pubg and fortnite fine.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If you want a great Android tablet get a Fold 3 or wait for the Fold 4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Looking for a really great android tablet, as similar to a recent ipad air or better.

Specifically android, mostly for gaming. I was thinking of the Tab S8 Ultra but it's a bit pricey and wasn't sure if I was out of my gourd.

I'd like to be able to use it for drawing and maybe get a drawing app (but not sure what to get for an app)

I don't really need a full fledged laptop, I have a desktop.
The smaller Tab S8+? They're gonna be cheaper but mostly work just as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSaLK6WzMc

Not really sure what the magic Pixel tablet is supposed to do to revolutionize everything.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Turns out I'm a basic bitch because I just got my first cracked phone screen on a Pixel 4a. It's otherwise working fine.

There's a Google approved repair place (iSmash) in town that will do it for £99... but a refurbed 4a is only £180 and it seems like selling the old one on eBay as "parts only" would make up a lot of the difference. I guess I could also just buy a completely new phone as I have the money for it, but this one is barely a year old.

Any suggestions on the best course of action?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Party Boat posted:

Turns out I'm a basic bitch because I just got my first cracked phone screen on a Pixel 4a. It's otherwise working fine.

There's a Google approved repair place (iSmash) in town that will do it for £99... but a refurbed 4a is only £180 and it seems like selling the old one on eBay as "parts only" would make up a lot of the difference. I guess I could also just buy a completely new phone as I have the money for it, but this one is barely a year old.

Any suggestions on the best course of action?

If it is cheap, you could get a screen on eBay and do it yourself. I'm not familiar with the 4a's screen in particular, but I've done it a few times on other phones, and I'm not particularly handy. Just followed a YouTube video.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The pixel tablet could be great if they make it so I can replace my Google smart display with it by docking it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Grumpwagon posted:

If it is cheap, you could get a screen on eBay and do it yourself. I'm not familiar with the 4a's screen in particular, but I've done it a few times on other phones, and I'm not particularly handy. Just followed a YouTube video.

Oh yeah, good shout. Only £15 so I'll give that a go and if I balls it up really badly I'll feel okay about getting a new phone.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah, good shout. Only £15 so I'll give that a go and if I balls it up really badly I'll feel okay about getting a new phone.

£15 sounds suspiciously cheap (But again, I know nothing about the 4a's screen) make sure you get a screen and digitizer (on most phones they're one piece).

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Edit: what grumpwagon said

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd like to be able to use it for drawing and maybe get a drawing app (but not sure what to get for an app)

If drawing then only S8/S7/s7Fe. Maybe S6 lite as the budget option they all have Wacom pens.
11" S8 (120hz) and S7Fe (60hz) have the superior LCD. The other ones have the lovely flickering colorshifting OLED.
Apps are Penup(free)/Krita(free)/Clipstudio (paid with trial)/Sketchbook(free)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Grumpwagon posted:

£15 sounds suspiciously cheap (But again, I know nothing about the 4a's screen) make sure you get a screen and digitizer (on most phones they're one piece).

Ah yeah it is glass only, never mind.

When I put my phone details in to Google's trade in thing they offered me about £100 even with the screen damage which might be the easiest way if I'm willing to pay a bit more for a Pixel 6 / wait a month for the 6A to launch

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MikusR posted:

11" S8 (120hz) and S7Fe (60hz) have the superior LCD. The other ones have the lovely flickering colorshifting OLED.

can you talk more about this, I don't see exactly what's wrong with it, is it the brightness?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think people complain a lot about green tint on Samsung OLEDs maybe it's that. The LCD in my regular S7 seems fine fwiw.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

can you talk more about this, I don't see exactly what's wrong with it, is it the brightness?

I had S7 plus for three days. I got it of friday and sent it back monday.
If I looked at it even slightly off center, the screen got green on one side pink on other (most noticeable on light backgrounds like websites). (I have LG c1 it also does that, but because you sit and don't move and consume mostly videos it's not as noticeable).
Also there is the pwm flicker. My eyes were watering after a couple minutes. It might not be noticeable in store because they run screens at max brightness there.
Now I have the LCD version of S8 and its good. The oled versions you have to test yourself so look for good return policy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MikusR posted:

I had S7 plus for three days. I got it of friday and sent it back monday.
If I looked at it even slightly off center, the screen got green on one side pink on other (most noticeable on light backgrounds like websites). (I have LG c1 it also does that, but because you sit and don't move and consume mostly videos it's not as noticeable).
Also there is the pwm flicker. My eyes were watering after a couple minutes. It might not be noticeable in store because they run screens at max brightness there.
Now I have the LCD version of S8 and its good. The oled versions you have to test yourself so look for good return policy.

I wonder if that's Samsung having bad quality control. I know a lot of their computer monitors are kind of renowned for bad QC, where sometimes it takes a couple RMAs to get one that functions well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zero issues with my S8 Ultra or the S7+ I had before it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Since we're talkin tabs in here, has anyone actually used the Galaxy S6 Lite for drawing? I've been thinking of getting one for my kid whose been wanting something to draw digital art on instead of her Pixel 3, and reviews seem good, but maybe someone here knows something I haven't seen yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Since we're talkin tabs in here, has anyone actually used the Galaxy S6 Lite for drawing? I've been thinking of getting one for my kid whose been wanting something to draw digital art on instead of her Pixel 3, and reviews seem good, but maybe someone here knows something I haven't seen yet.

If it's Wacom EMR, like all the other Samsung stuff, it'll be very, very nice to draw on

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I gotta say, the Pixel 6 is one of the worst phones I've ever owned. Its down there with the Moto X Play. Its ridiculous bulk and shape, awful fingerprint reader (possibly worse than the S20 I had before), gestures just deciding not to work sometimes resulting in having to turn off/on the screen to get out of an app or just go back at all. Touch accuracy seems to be off, trying to press on certain things like the ... next to trending topics on twitter is nearly impossible sometimes. Cell functionality being very erratic compared to basically all other phones I've had. I'd probably chalk wifi calling issues up to the carrier but my fiancée in the same house on the same carrier but with a different phone has none of the issues I do. Its really too bad because the battery and camera, my two most important factors, are both pretty good.

Hopefully I can spare a bit of time this week to do a factory reset and see if that helps anything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Counterpoint. I've had none of those issues with my launch day 6 Pro.

Sorry you've had a bad experience.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

codo27 posted:

I gotta say, the Pixel 6 is one of the worst phones I've ever owned. Its down there with the Moto X Play. Its ridiculous bulk and shape, awful fingerprint reader (possibly worse than the S20 I had before), gestures just deciding not to work sometimes resulting in having to turn off/on the screen to get out of an app or just go back at all. Touch accuracy seems to be off, trying to press on certain things like the ... next to trending topics on twitter is nearly impossible sometimes. Cell functionality being very erratic compared to basically all other phones I've had. I'd probably chalk wifi calling issues up to the carrier but my fiancée in the same house on the same carrier but with a different phone has none of the issues I do. Its really too bad because the battery and camera, my two most important factors, are both pretty good.

Hopefully I can spare a bit of time this week to do a factory reset and see if that helps anything.

The P6 is a piece of poo poo. IYG has a lot of insane google fanboys who will try to gaslight you, but you're not crazy. It's easily the worst smartphone I've ever used compared to its contemporaries.

I will say though that the camera is actually dogshit. Other phones blow it away, even much older ones. Don't let the image processing fool you, the actual pictures it takes straight up suck. Try photographing text and look at the crazy edge ghosting if you want to see.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a feeling it's a lottery on build quality and you can get a great one or get a poo poo one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I have a feeling it's a lottery on build quality and you can get a great one or get a poo poo one.

Nah, everyone with a pixel 6 has touchscreen issues, can't get a cell signal, and have it freeze constantly, but we're lying to troll that guy.

It's a little funny to me cause everyone itt has actually been pretty outspoken about it's typical issues, like I've complained about the fingerprint sensor (and others have said they have no problems with it) and size, and said I wished I could get a pixel 5 with tensor and new camera.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The fact that there is such a wild spectrum of experiences one can have on the Pixel 6 line that range from “This is unusable trash” to “My phone fine, sucks to b u” would imply to me that the Pixel 6 sucks rear end

Like, how is the user experience there so inconsistent lol

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Being a fan of pixel phones is the worst because it's really good when it's good and horrible when it's bad but it's ok they'll fix it, that's totally a software fix, daddy Google said it would be fixed with an OTA, you can def fix that hardware issue with software why would Google lie to us?

:smith:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
My Pixel 6 has been great up until the last update and now I'm having connectivity and gesture problems :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

withoutclass posted:

My Pixel 6 has been great up until the last update and now I'm having connectivity and gesture problems :(

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Can you choose not to install updates on the Pixel line? It seems like every feature update brings new bugs

I would immediately turn off updates if I got one :P

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

And my Pixel 6 has been fine throughout, and the more recent updates improved the fingerprint sensor considerably. I do wonder if it's a QC thing, or maybe the phones are particularly vulnerable to carrier fuckery. The range of user experiences reported in the Android threads here really do have a crazy divide, and the people who don't like the phones REALLY don't like the phones. It's weird, and feels especially weird to me personally because the Pixel 6 is far and away the nicest phone I've owned.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the fingerprint sensor is definitely faster now. i had one bug where very infrequently tapping the search bar on the home screen would do nothing, and then tapping it the second time would bring up voice input, but i can't remember the last time it happened so they must have fixed it at some point. i have no complaints now and i really like the feature where it doesn't wobble when on a table like every other goddamn phone

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

sourdough posted:

everyone with a pixel 6 has touchscreen issues, can't get a cell signal, and have it freeze constantly

Everyone.

This is demonstrably false, and yet the people stating we haven't had these issues are fanboys?

Ok. Got it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My experience with the P6 has been generally satisfactory, especially since I've already been jumping between mid-range phones each generation. If I was coming from a thousand dollar flagship my expectations may have been higher. :shrug:

The fingerprint sensor has definitely been the weakest part of the experience for me, but not to the extent of being a deal breaker. If I had to purchase a replacement phone right now I'd probably get another P6.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AlexDeGruven posted:

Everyone.

This is demonstrably false, and yet the people stating we haven't had these issues are fanboys?

Ok. Got it.

Sourdough's post was sarcasm, though?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

Everyone.

Ok. Got it.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

my pixel 6 pro rules, you weak nerdlords