Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jiro posted:

I guess I'm looking at it from an EDH perspective of pairing it with enough mana after it's cast and other enchantments or artifacts or creature abilities that allow you to untap permanents, so you just keep doing that poo poo multiple times a turn if you have the correct setup to just go looking for creatures in your deck that are multicolored.

In limited, its five mana and requires specific cards in hand to do anything, which to me is the definition of build around uncommon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jiro posted:

I guess I'm looking at it from an EDH perspective of pairing it with enough mana after it's cast and other enchantments or artifacts or creature abilities that allow you to untap permanents, so you just keep doing that poo poo multiple times a turn if you have the correct setup to just go looking for creatures in your deck that are multicolored.

For seven mana you can do a lot better I think.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

For seven mana you can do a lot better I think.

not really, I think. most of the effects I can think of are either not repeatable, in green (which might not be in your colors), or much more expensive to activate

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Keep in mind there are like 2-3x the number of rares and mythics in this set as usual, so while some are eyepopping, the duds will drag "the average" down a bit.

Still shaping up to be absolutely stuffed with value like the original, and I'm stoked to pick up some packs and cheap singles!

One minor complaint: overall the borderless art feels a little less... epic? than OG double masters. Maybe since a lot of those were artifacts that were easier to showcase on the borderless card. I'm just not quite vibing with the alt arts as much this go around, which at least makes it easy to choose between 24 packs and 4 (lolololol).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

coelomate posted:

One minor complaint: overall the borderless art feels a little less... epic? than OG double masters.

I agree on this. The full art borderless in like the span of two years had gone from a holy poo poo wow that has to be super rare etc etc, to having that poo poo appear on commons. It's basically been run into the ground and doesn't necessarily feel special or unique anymore.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

not really, I think. most of the effects I can think of are either not repeatable, in green (which might not be in your colors), or much more expensive to activate

To be clear my point is I think you can straight up threaten to win the game with a lot of two card combos and seven mana, so in constructed it’s not a big deal.

In limited I think piper effects are always kinda crappy, no? Especially one with a restriction?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Jiro posted:

I agree on this. The full art borderless in like the span of two years had gone from a holy poo poo wow that has to be super rare etc etc, to having that poo poo appear on commons. It's basically been run into the ground and doesn't necessarily feel special or unique anymore.

Yeah, but it's also the actual aesthetic itself.

Damnation is a good example - the OG art is epic, IMO. The borderless looks neat, but is just a little... muddy? Generic? I mean it's cool, I don't want to be too harsh, but it doesn't make me go "gently caress I NEED EXACTLY THAT ART" the way 2XM Sword of Fire and Ice (and several others) did. Probably not explaining it well and largely just personal preference/opinion though.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Did those who didn't watch the video what makes CL2 so bad was:
The boxes weren't just bad, they were all under fifty (less than half the price of the box) and the third one was only worth eight dollars.

Also, by all accounts the draft environment is/was good.

I watched the video and he just... didn't add a $27 card to the value of the 3rd box for some reason.

The draft environment of CLB is better than the first Com Legends IMO. Games are shorter and there are fewer ground stalls in my very limited experience of playing each format one time.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

coelomate posted:

Yeah, but it's also the actual aesthetic itself.

Damnation is a good example - the OG art is epic, IMO. The borderless looks neat, but is just a little... muddy? Generic? I mean it's cool, I don't want to be too harsh, but it doesn't make me go "gently caress I NEED EXACTLY THAT ART" the way 2XM Sword of Fire and Ice (and several others) did. Probably not explaining it well and largely just personal preference/opinion though.

I really love the Damnation/Wrath of God art inversion. They should have done that again with their borderless art.

I mean I don’t think Wrath is in this set, but still.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

kalel posted:

bring baack the gaak

Bring back Eye of Ugin

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Me, last night: I wish the borderless art were more epic and cool this set

WotC, this morning: cool sure yeah

(Crucible of Worlds)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

coelomate posted:

Me, last night: I wish the borderless art were more epic and cool this set

WotC, this morning: cool sure yeah

(Crucible of Worlds)
The two magic players but I thought this art was nonsensical for this card

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I missed this, but Gavin jerking it about great Karoos are is evergreen and the exact thing I point at whenever I say "Fire Gavin Verhey".

Fire Gavin Verhey.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Uh, what

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Karoo lands are bad and Toshimo hates them to an extreme

You could say they are bad lands

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
They’re cool

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Amulet Bloom is cool and good

Missing Fox
Apr 19, 2015
I'm not sure about how supply/demand works with Secret Lair Drops. If I wanted only a foil Utopia Sprawl from the kelogsloops bundle, would it likely be cheaper for me to just buy it on the second hand market or buy the whole pack and resell the other three cards?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Amulet Bloom is also not anywhere close to a viable thing in commander.

The only deck in the format I would consider playing karoo lands in would be Estrid, or something similar that does a lot of land untapping, and that's something very slow and durdly that could never be called good.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Karoo lands are incredibile limited lands.

Also i thought people were still playing amulet?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 18, 2022

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

They’re a huge part In amulet (which is basically the only old modern deck that’s even close to playable now lol), fun in draft, and low power casual decks can use either the double mana generation or the bounce effect to do fun stuff in low power edh. Seems like a perfect fit for a reprint in 2X2 with cool new art. Might want to examine why an innocuous reprint at uncommon makes you want to fire some guy lol

Missing Fox posted:

I'm not sure about how supply/demand works with Secret Lair Drops. If I wanted only a foil Utopia Sprawl from the kelogsloops bundle, would it likely be cheaper for me to just buy it on the second hand market or buy the whole pack and resell the other three cards?

If there’s a difference it’s not gonna be much, I’d just hold out for the single.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 18, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Karoo lands are incredibile limited lands.

Also i thought people were still playing amulet?

They are for me limited fodder and for the narrow scope of Amulet, they are The Thing That Does The Thing.

Gavin shoves them into every Commander Precon and then goes to Commandfest events and preaches how great they are for every EDH deck and how he plays them in decks with 50+ lands on the regular and how much he loves them.

It's insane and it teaches new EDH players the wrong lessons and people have been calling it out for years.

This sort of design through-line is emphasized in his new publicly-stated approach of "we're printing a bunch of bad 3-mana rocks because we want players to voluntarily play them instead of 2-mana rocks to create a false sense of 'format diversity'". Which is also clearly insane and is a direct through-line of how we get to the design of a set like CLB that has nothing to offer the format and has booster boxes clocking in at $7.53.

Fire Gavin Verhey.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

Fire Gavin Verhey.

Into the sun

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
people in this thread get insane about minuscule poo poo, drat

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Time posted:

They play magic, but I repeat myself.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
reminder that the eight dollar booster box was an editing mistake by the professor's editor and it actually clocked in about thirty dollars

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

flatluigi posted:

reminder that the eight dollar booster box was an editing mistake by the professor's editor and it actually clocked in about thirty dollars

Substantially better, for sure. But best not talk about it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

flatluigi posted:

But also, that additional 22 dollars came because he opened Ink-Eyes as a List card, which says less than it seems about the value of the set.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Time posted:

So much negativity and vitriol. Some people can't just build their Baldur's Gate commander decks and be happy, gotta try to get some poor dork fired or tell you you're having fun wrong or whatever.

There's a half dozen commanders from this last set that I will definitely be building decks around. Irenicus looks like a lot of fun with goading and evil creatures, and Keene will put all these drat gate cards back to use, as well as give me an excuse to build another landfall deck. Elminster, Tasha, Raggadragga all look fun. And that's without getting into the backgrounds. I'm excited to get more from CL2 on the table.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I thought we had a Commander Containment Thread so these unhinged rants didn't seep out into public

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Toshimo posted:

They are for me limited fodder and for the narrow scope of Amulet, they are The Thing That Does The Thing.

Gavin shoves them into every Commander Precon and then goes to Commandfest events and preaches how great they are for every EDH deck and how he plays them in decks with 50+ lands on the regular and how much he loves them.

It's insane and it teaches new EDH players the wrong lessons and people have been calling it out for years.

This sort of design through-line is emphasized in his new publicly-stated approach of "we're printing a bunch of bad 3-mana rocks because we want players to voluntarily play them instead of 2-mana rocks to create a false sense of 'format diversity'". Which is also clearly insane and is a direct through-line of how we get to the design of a set like CLB that has nothing to offer the format and has booster boxes clocking in at $7.53.

Fire Gavin Verhey.
lol you're an insane person

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

I thought we had a Commander Containment Thread so these unhinged rants didn't seep out into public

you have it backwards, this is the thread all the angry rants go in

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

One of the game's more visible public faces encouraging people to play the game badly is kind of a big deal regardless of whether you play the format in question.

The Wizards commander crew as well as the RC and CAG have been trying to gaslight the playerbase about card power for like five years and it's very very dumb. Its kind of along the same lines as Wizards deliberately obfuscation statistics for similar reasons.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 18, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Idk its nice to be reminded all the commander players here are insane so i continue to only play it with my friends

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Shortest Path posted:

One of the game's more visible public faces encouraging people to play the game badly is kind of a big deal regardless of whether you play the format in question.

The Wizards commander crew as well as the RC and CAG have been trying to gaslight the playerbase about card power for like five years and it's very very dumb. Its kind of along the same lines as Wizards deliberately obfuscation statistics for similar reasons.

please don't bring 'gaslighting' into this, holy poo poo. you are not being abused because someone at a company likes cards you don't

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Calling it a big deal is maybe a stretch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

please don't bring 'gaslighting' into this, holy poo poo. you are not being abused because someone at a company likes cards you don't

I think that your definition of gaslighting is wild imo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

flatluigi posted:

It's not "liking cards we dont", it's "deliberately lying to consumers about the quality of a product to peddle 65 dollar precon decks full of literal garbage". And then giving sponsorship advertisements and money to content creators to push the same crap, and constantly lying about the good stuff they're working on that will be coming in the future, etc.

Gavin Verhey is a massive charlatan and what he has done at and for Wizards is deeply unethical even by the absurdly low standards of an American corporation.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

It's not "liking cards we dont", it's "deliberately lying to consumers about the quality of a product to peddle 65 dollar precon decks full of literal garbage". And then giving sponsorship advertisements and money to content creators to push the same crap, and constantly lying about the good stuff they're working on that will be coming in the future, etc.

Gavin Verhey is a massive charlatan and what he has done at and for Wizards is deeply unethical even by the absurdly low standards of an American corporation.

Good lord lmao

I encourage everyone to just not engage with this discussion any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fadam posted:

Good lord lmao

I encourage everyone to just not engage with this discussion any further.

I'm sorry that you want to believe these wizards employees are your friends instead of people trying to sell you poo poo.