Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Topol is such a poster you can reconstruct their thought process on this issue. They see all the case numbers and current research on immune evasion and PASC, and their commentary has grown progressively negative since Omicron spread everywhere. Definitely thinks that we're still in a dangerous situation and the long-term outlook is bleak unless something changes. They've apparently decided a pan-coronavirus vaccine and nasal spray might be the pharma miracles to get out of this jam. The desperation is obvious, in part because I'm desperate in much the same way.

At the very least have to imagine the Chinese state is working on these items, as they would make maintaining zero COVID a lot easier. Maybe they'll share? I'll hang the Xi portrait, no problem there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

maybe the Iranians will save us with an intranasal vaccine
Safety and Efficacy of Combined Intramuscular/Intranasal RAZI-COV PARS Vaccine Candidate Against SARS-CoV-2: A Preclinical Study in Several Animal Models

quote:

The most important issue that has been neglected in previous vaccines is the lack of stimulation of the immune system against the virus in the upper respiratory tract (URT). RAZI-COV PARS candidate vaccine with the intranasal spray (third dose) was able to induce high levels of IgA antibody that largely compensate for this defect. We were also able to detect IgA antibodies in URT which are considered a major barrier against viral infection by impeding viral shedding, limiting the degree of spread and level of pathology (65). It is important to note that IgA antibodies are associated with the expansion of the IgA plasmablasts with mucosal homing characteristics and manage the early response against specific antigens of SARS-CoV-2 in the serum, saliva, and bronchoalveolar lavage fluids. IgA concentrations in the saliva and serum peaked after the administration of the third dose of the intranasal vaccine but persisted for several more months in the saliva and serum.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

I remember the tweet you're talking about, it said something about how it was an app-based survey and the org behind the study has a long history of covid minimizing results with flawed methodology. that might help you search for it?

Thanks, I remember that too now, going to search around for it. In the meantime I found this Deepti thread addressing some issues with it.

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1537767053867855873

Pohl posted:

even if it was less of an individual issue it spread exponentially more, thus more people are going to have long covid as a result because of math and I don't even know how this is so hard to understand

Nobody thinks they're going to be the one to get it, it only happens to "the vulnerable" (who they care so, so much about, but...).

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Gio posted:

we learned nothing ? that cant be!

its the memory loss of lockdowns

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zodium posted:

tbh a lot of the "people are not as good at crowd behaviors anymore" is probably more lack of practice than widespread covid brain, as well as actual covid brainers having outsized disruptive effects on crowd behavior.

Paradoxish posted:

I don't buy this just because, at least in the US, we're easily a year out from even the mildest behavioral restrictions. People in this thread kind of act like the beginning of 2022 was when everything went away, but it really wasn't. It feels that way because that's when masks started vanishing from the "safe" places in the hold-out states, but the full succ and fucc has been on for a long, long time. There were large, unmasked crowds here in CT, a state that kept its COVID restrictions in place for a long rear end time relative to most of the rest of the country, as early as summer 2020.

The pandemic isn't the only contributing factor to all those broken brains, 4 years of the Trump presidency and the whole fallout from the post-truth post-decorum era also fragmented a lot of brains. Throw both of those in a bowl, now you got a brain stew goin'!

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

hey Covid thread need some advice

my wife (borat voice) is trying to find a decent respirator. Auras ride up her chin and she worries about the bottom seal. we just tried the VFlex but her “giant bird beak nose” (her words) makes it really difficult to seal at the top - when she smiles it gaps. she works with kids so an elastomeric is probably not going to fly because it’s too hard to speak.

any tips on another option to try?

It sounds like it was too large and you used the singular, a small VFlex might do better? I've yet to hear any reports about these whatsoever.

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

sweden's alcohol monopoly having booze shortages in time for midsummer. citing staff shortages at the wholesaler's and trucking companies at home and abroad. sure it'll sort itself out. mildly on the wagon.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zodium posted:

waste does not require slack. your body will produce pee and poo even if you don't have enough body fat or what have you. there's just no simple way to disassemble the fictional capital complex and put the search engine optimizers back into productive jobs. US manufacturing is extremely capital-intensive today and doesn't really scale with more laborers at all, precisely because the system spent enormous amounts of energy setting things up that way to gently caress over workers, and much like retraining workers, it will have to spend energy undoing that in order to do what you describe. energy it doesn't have, because there is no slack in the system.

insofar as "the parts of the economy the capitalists need to remain functional" mean "the police and the military," absolutely. the consequences falling on workers, absolutely. as cybernetic capital collapses, it will decay into a set of national bourgeoisie more closely resembling the pre-ww2 regime than the contemporary neoliberal order. national ruling classes will seek to brutally dominate their national proletariats, only not because they've thought about it and accepted the risk, but because they have no other choice, because the system doesn't have spare energy for anything else.

Maybe this is just a pedantic thing but let's talk at the level of your analogy. You will stop producing pee and poo if you eat or drink, regardless of how much fat you have. If a lot's coming out of a body, a lot is going into that body at some point. American capitalism is not currently starving, it has steady sources of food and can afford to use them on inefficient stuff that is the health equivalent of body building. If you see a guy who is ripped to poo poo, he's probably unhealthy, but he's not unhealthy because he lacks access to food. He could likely eat a lot less and be fine. That's where I'm putting the concept of "slack" in this analogy, not in fat stores but in generally available inputs.

And again I think you're overestimating how difficult it is to move people into productive work. I've worked factories, I have a friend who works HR for a factory, I've done recruiting on behalf of factories (though most of my recruiting was for home care staff, security guards, and homeless shelter staff). You can turn an SEO nerd into a production line worker or home care attendant pretty fast. I'm not sure what productive work you think there is that the US 1) needs a ton of and 2) takes years to train people on. The SEO nerd will see a marked decline in quality of life, for sure. But having high pay and QOL for productive jobs is what I'm identifying as something that US capitalism could drop without much consequence.

Though I'm not really sure what the stakes of the argument are. I largely agree with your conclusion: the US isn't going to collapse into chaos in a sudden brilliant moment of catharsis, it's going to see a continuing decline in quality of life for the majority of its subjects. I guess the difference is that I'm coming from an LTV analysis and you're rejecting LTV axiomatically, but we largely got there through the same point.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
We’re ten days out from our 2 year old’s second Covid vax in the Pfizer trial and decided to unblind it for ourselves with an antibody test (which distinguishes between antibodies from infection vs from vaccine) and it’s supposed to take 15 mins but instantly turned red that he’s Max Titers we are so happy

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Sunny Side Up posted:

We’re ten days out from our 2 year old’s second Covid vax in the Pfizer trial and decided to unblind it for ourselves with an antibody test (which distinguishes between antibodies from infection vs from vaccine) and it’s supposed to take 15 mins but instantly turned red that he’s Max Titers we are so happy

should set up a Vaccine Reveal party with covid-particle balloons in a big box (if it was the placebo, the reveal box would be empty)

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Powerful use of "normal" in this tweet instead of "common" or something

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ha that was my instinct too. But it's misaligned enough that it requires a pin. Little bit of pain now for less hosed up walking and arthritis later.

Just have to not get covid while I'm at it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

It just bears constant repeating that the "lockdowns were so hard and the pandemic was very tiring on us all!" bullshit is unadulterated gaslighting. There were a lot of people who chose to hold out for a long time, but they're a very small minority compared to the group that stopped caring no later than the end of 2020. Everything else is a combination of capital intentionally gaslighting you so you resume normal consumer behavior and whiny babies who become legitimately upset when a mask reminds them that they couldn't go to Applebee's for a few months.

poo poo, when did Florida reopen beaches, loving April/May of 2020?

Fake edit: April 18th, two thousand and twenty lmao

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/04/18/coronavirus-florida-beaches-reopen-big-crowds-during-pandemic/5159264002/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gio posted:

well i heard covid causes memory loss

Zodium posted:

source? i don't remmeber this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ufImch00g

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Jun 18, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

T-Paine posted:

We learned a lot, that the American public is eager and ready to tolerate mass death, repeated enfeeblement, the complete abandonment of society's most vulnerable people, the politicization of the idea that we should ever be cautious or not do whatever we want to do at any given moment, racist scapegoating and orientalist conceptions of China's successful Covid control measures, the unprecedented widening of the wealth gap as the rich exploit yet another tragedy to make themselves even richer while the rest of us struggle to afford rent, the final death of the idea that the government can or indeed should ever do anything to protect its non-rich subjects, the idea that any short term catastrophe can be cited as a reason to stop caring about anything even more dangerous and destructive despite that not doing anything to help correct the short term problems either, did I miss anything? We learned that decades of defunding, privatization, and propaganda have successfully prepared us for the coming environmental disasters and the fascists who take over aren't going to have to work very hard to keep us all in line as we starve to death

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

Maybe this is just a pedantic thing but let's talk at the level of your analogy. You will stop producing pee and poo if you eat or drink, regardless of how much fat you have. If a lot's coming out of a body, a lot is going into that body at some point. American capitalism is not currently starving, it has steady sources of food and can afford to use them on inefficient stuff that is the health equivalent of body building. If you see a guy who is ripped to poo poo, he's probably unhealthy, but he's not unhealthy because he lacks access to food. He could likely eat a lot less and be fine. That's where I'm putting the concept of "slack" in this analogy, not in fat stores but in generally available inputs.

And again I think you're overestimating how difficult it is to move people into productive work. I've worked factories, I have a friend who works HR for a factory, I've done recruiting on behalf of factories (though most of my recruiting was for home care staff, security guards, and homeless shelter staff). You can turn an SEO nerd into a production line worker or home care attendant pretty fast. I'm not sure what productive work you think there is that the US 1) needs a ton of and 2) takes years to train people on. The SEO nerd will see a marked decline in quality of life, for sure. But having high pay and QOL for productive jobs is what I'm identifying as something that US capitalism could drop without much consequence.

Though I'm not really sure what the stakes of the argument are. I largely agree with your conclusion: the US isn't going to collapse into chaos in a sudden brilliant moment of catharsis, it's going to see a continuing decline in quality of life for the majority of its subjects. I guess the difference is that I'm coming from an LTV analysis and you're rejecting LTV axiomatically, but we largely got there through the same point.

i'm not rejecting the LTV. at least not uh, intentionally? mostly I think the stakes of the argument is how vulnerable the failure to contain covid makes Capital: where you seem to expect not much, I think it's quite much. western workers will likely see dramatic declines in qol regardless of position because there'll be far less superprofits to share in, but it'll also be far more difficult for Capital to say, relocate the means of producing the tools of oppression out of their workers' reach the way neoliberalism's staggeringly complex global supply chains managed to.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Really wish people had COVID stats floating over their heads - number of infections, kill count, disabled count, number of people successfully pressured into dropping guard, etc. I want to know exactly how monstrous everyone is.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i sure hope tom hanks never gets covid!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Really wish people had COVID stats floating over their heads - number of infections, kill count, disabled count, number of people successfully pressured into dropping guard, etc. I want to know exactly how monstrous everyone is.

like death note?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/foxjust/status/1537091118722162689

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The number of times I've been pressured to drop my mask would probably be embarassing.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Really wish people had COVID stats floating over their heads - positive/negative. I want to know exactly how sick everyone is.

Fixed for me

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Back from the store, I haven't seen anyone else in a mask in 3 or 4 trips now. Not a one

https://twitter.com/COVIDnewsfast/status/1538185795068080128
https://twitter.com/COVIDnewsfast/status/1538185797282607105

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so basically every indicator is being artificially manipulated to lag Even Further than it already did

just like the goddamn Community Levels!

we'll only know things are happening when it's too late! and now in 2022 only when it's way, WAY too late. If everyone takes all these counts at face value it's a brilliant propaganda device to help normalize a new baseline of constant suffering

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you know if this is covid, i was thinking covid can kill you, so it can't be all bad

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth showing context for some of the recent removals that occur in the 7-day Washington state case and hospitalization counts. I don't have any insider knowledge to the actual reason(s) why there has been more recent removals, just the context that this most recent wave is right on the heels of a previous wave, and because cases (either tied to a new hospitalization or re-hospitalization) are within the 90-day reinfection window from the first BA.1.1 wave, they get excluded and removed after the fact. What I'm hoping is that by showing a measurement of that 90-day reinfection exclusion window, people can see where it lines up with the previous wave and gauge whether or not it might fit as a reason for the adjustment.

It's also awkward cause 90 days is ~12.8 weeks which makes it impossible to cleanly line up with each 7-day column.

Good idea, bad idea?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

I remember the tweet you're talking about, it said something about how it was an app-based survey and the org behind the study has a long history of covid minimizing results with flawed methodology. that might help you search for it?

I can't seem to find it, but I did find a random tweet referring to this old writeup about how the prior Zoe study about Long COVID in children was garbage, so yeah, they do have a history.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(21)00342-4/fulltext

And this criticism too
https://www.longcovidkids.org/post/zoe-app-research-into-long-covid-in-children-isn-t-reassuring

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Jun 18, 2022

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
haha holy poo poo

my county has been holding steady at about 700 covid cases per week since May

meanwhile, 555 out of 3,433 ER visits in a one week period were covid positive

incredible undercounting

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

So the hospital my mom is at won’t let anyone under 18 in, which is very unfortunate for my mom being able to see her grandson, but also means the place was fairly empty.

For everyone with an under 5, what’s going to change once ur kid gets vaxxed?

I’ll probably be less anxious about indoors with extended family. Masks in big box stores is very easy and my kid doesn’t mind it so that’ll probably stay. I can’t see myself going inside a restaurant anytime soon still. My wife also stay home so no daycare but I guess I’d feel a lot better about that.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

This is New Game +, we have no precautions and no one cares
lol we ran through New Game + with omicron, we're on some expanded dlc now

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Walensky officially signed off on vaccines for young kids

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1538237473297514498?s=20&t=oUDUY4ogDVxzPnU0eSni4w

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Hopefully the holiday doesn't gently caress everything up, gonna try and get my toddler jabbed Sunday/Monday

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Steve Yun posted:

After months and months of lecturing my mom about masks

After stealing all the surgical masks at her house and leaving a grip of KF94s

After lecturing her for months about her still going out to restaurants

She went to a gathering of her friends. She had her KF94 and glasses on.

One of her friends died three days later from COVID

My mom is testing negative on rapid today. Gonna test for a few more days.

Sincere congratulations, rip ur mom's poor friend tho

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gio posted:

well i heard covid causes memory loss

says who????

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

For everyone with an under 5, what’s going to change once ur kid gets vaxxed?

It means we're probably gonna send our two oldest kids back to school in September. My younger son stinks at masking though so I still have reservations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Declaring 45 pages of bankruptcy to invite good-hearted and fun-loving cspam covid goons to join in some jackbox (and other accessible) games later today.

Before I share the link and details, I have a favor to ask:

quote:

The channel (and game organizing) was initiaited so that anyone who turns to this thread for support and information can also have a similar environment to turn to for laughs and general chitchat. There's also some sub-channels for doomposting and discussing SA drama and so on, to allow the general chat to maintain a more kind-spirited and positive atmosphere.

And while general convos do branch out into covid-related topics like advice on PPE/NPI or a need to express IRL frustration with irresponsible friends/family, please don't see it as opportunity to release hateful rants or initiate unnecessary drama. We're all comrades, let's enjoy each others company and give each other a respite from all the nonsense outside our homes.

Okay! So, its 4pm EDT now, let's say in 1.5 hours I'll start some games if we have at least 4 players (myself included).

Games last 15~ min each, and each one allows for people to join in or drop out. There's no deadline to show up, and if people in discord want to play then we'll have some sort of game running most of the evening/night. The goal is to accommodate as many time zones as possible, and also enable parents or saturday shift-workers to squeeze in 30-60 minutes of fun if that's all the time they have available

Okay, FAQ for those who haven't tried this sort of thing before!

Q: I don't know how to discord, am I out of luck?

A: Good news, most of the effort is handled by the person(s) creating and organizing things. :yayclod: For discord, click the spoilered link below this paragraph, make an account (if you're brand new), and you'll be a member of the channel. And within the channel are sub-channels (#general is self-explanatory, #laffs is sharing chuckles from elsewhere, etc), including 2 at the bottom under "Voice channels". The one which has people in it will be where we are gathering to stream and hang out for games.

https://discord.gg/tNH4yYUg

Q: I don't know how to jackbox, am I out of luck?

A: Anyone can figure it out within minutes, all you need is a browser and touch-screen device (and they can be the same device if your screen is big enough to have side-by-side apps going). I personally use my phone to play, and my laptop to watch the stream & chat with the group, but there's tons of ways to set up. If you're not super tech savvy, no worries, a bunch of us in there will be able to help you figure out your ideal setup.

Q: This sounds fun but I dunno about jumping into the deep end right away. Is it all or nothing?

A: It's incredibly flexible and very welcoming to people who prefer observing before participating, or value their anonymity and privacy.

The stream of the game will be watchable within the voice channel for any and all who are members of the discord. And the games are designed to be online versions of house parry games, where spectating is as common as participating. They even have "Audience Mode" so anyone who wants to vote on their favorites without playing in the main game can do so.

In the voice channel, both audio-input and video-input are complete optional, and afaik the default is for them to be off, i.e. you need to grant permission for the app (or browser window) to access your mic and/or camera.

So you can be:

- "a lurker" who watches without any interaction
- "in the audience" to award likes and votes to your faves without text/audio chat
- "a quiet participant" who joins the games but has mic/camera off for privacy
- "a chatty player" who joins the games and pipes up in the audio chat when they wish
- or "a candid contributor" who plays and talks and has their camera on to lower the veil for a bit, and develop some familiarity and affinity and legit camaraderie with people that are both total strangers and incredibly resourceful and helpful friends in the pandemic era.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
lol my county is officially under CDC guidelines to mask now, which I assume means poo poo is really loving bad

I walked the dog and grabbed some beer real quick, no one is wearing a mask

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

After regularly taking the bus for most of the pandemic, I just for the first time got a bus driver trying to give me poo poo for mumbling into my respirator. Masks are currently mandated on transit, and the man was wearing a (reasonably gap-free) cloth face covering, but took it off to express his frustration. I'm pretty sure understood me just fine all along because when he got tired of me he charged me the fare for the destination I'd been talking about to begin with. :allears:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So Monkeypox was renamed because it was apparently racist or stigmatising, I see.

For real if they think "Monkeypox" singles out anyone or a group instead of just implying "illness that monkeys get/came from monkeys" to the average person, what do they think openly saying only the gay community gets and transmits it and subsequently stopping all reporting except for cases in Africa does?

People will still just call it Monkeypox anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Nocturtle posted:

Topol is such a poster you can reconstruct their thought process on this issue. They see all the case numbers and current research on immune evasion and PASC, and their commentary has grown progressively negative since Omicron spread everywhere. Definitely thinks that we're still in a dangerous situation and the long-term outlook is bleak unless something changes. They've apparently decided a pan-coronavirus vaccine and nasal spray might be the pharma miracles to get out of this jam. The desperation is obvious, in part because I'm desperate in much the same way.

At the very least have to imagine the Chinese state is working on these items, as they would make maintaining zero COVID a lot easier. Maybe they'll share? I'll hang the Xi portrait, no problem there.

Topol is a fascinating character cause he has dipped into questionable takes but tends to be aware of new developments and shares the true conclusions without downplaying or handwaving (too much)

Like Feigl-Ding and AJ and others are adamant in their effort to fully inform and max protect (to their credit 100%)

And some capitulated (too many to name) to open biden and false hopes and general fatigue

While Eric T is a rare in-betweener, and remains a qualified voice in many respects. Just gotta dig a lil deeper when he says something is (likely not too bad) and EFD or AJ say that thing is (possibly very bad), and see if both perspectives have merit or if ET has some flawed reasoning.