Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

DaveWoo posted:

Fun Fact: if you had bought Bitcoin when Matt Damon told you to, that Bitcoin now would have lost 69% of its value.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Person: OK would you like to buy my bitcoin then? Since you clearly know something and/or value it in a way that I don't.

This dude: no.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

lol that this fake money is propped up entirely by grifters, scammers and FOMO

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
18,200. So close. C'mon already

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

lol that this fake money is propped up entirely by grifters, scammers and FOMO

And governments and banks. Wait, sorry, you said that in your post.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

I doubt that factors in cooling costs either.

In Texas, which for some reason has become a mining hub in the US because of our dipshit governor even though it is a terrible place for it, right now it has been hovering just over the 100°F(38°C) mark for a week or two now with no relief in sight. And power costs can fluctuate a lot because of deregulation by rear end in a top hat morons who are also stupid. So like, I'd wager those costs are already wildly inaccurate for a place like Texas where power is on the expensive side right now, and then factor in a LOT of cooling, and I don't think any of them are "profitable" by now.

you also have to consider that the big mining operations rent/own large spaces and have technicians either on-site or on-call. there's a lot of overhead here beyond just electricity.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

The greater fool theory must be wrong because there cannot be any fool greater than me...

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Mr Bitcoin! Tear down that wall!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

There goes 18.2k

edit: There goes 18.1k

edit edit: There goes 18k

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 18, 2022

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Looks like the 18k buywalls are kicking in.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'm glad cz lubed up the blockchain to keep it from sticking, the sell orders are just sliding right in

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

frameset posted:

Looks like the 18k buywalls are kicking in.

Why would you even bother at this point? Just cash out and run

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
only 40 bux cmoooon

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

How does the market usually move after crypto crashes like this during the weekend? Is there any corelation at all?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Mikojan posted:

How does the market usually move after crypto crashes like this during the weekend? Is there any corelation at all?

cryptocurrency prices aren't really about "correlation" or "logic"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So close!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Thundercracker posted:

Why would you even bother at this point? Just cash out and run

You know the answer

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Ugh, it went down to $18000.00 for a split second. Come on!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The suspense is killing me.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
https://youtu.be/Ghd2bkIadG4

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

ohhhhh this is the last gasp right here this is a fun day at work to watch the chart go down

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mikojan posted:

There’s not much correlation but the markets are probably gonna be turbo hosed on Monday for lots of other reasons.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mikojan posted:

Bitcoin has largely followed the NASDAQ for the last few years. Blood is coming on Monday. Lots of blood.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Somehow it’s A Good Thing that the mass adoption that Bitcoin and cryptos seek to flourish and become the replacement for fiat in the future gets crucified by the price tanking, and having only the true believers survive is totally not a reset or anything.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mikojan posted:

Even though the coins themselves trade 24/7, I'd expect a lot of the fallout from the weekend bloodbath will probably be delayed until Monday (or maybe Tuesday because of Juneteenth observation?) when the rest of the business and finance world come back online.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

how many of you have Winger's Seventeen in the pastebin getting ready to fire it off into this thread

Bodrick
Jan 3, 2009

In the unlikely event it gets outside, use full force to feign ignorance and pretend nothing happened.
I would have thought at least some crypto enthusiasts would be looking forward to something returning to being under 18 again :shrug:

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
HAHAHA the amount of bots keeping it at $18000.00 lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Durzel posted:

Somehow it’s A Good Thing that the mass adoption that Bitcoin and cryptos seek to flourish and become the replacement for fiat in the future gets crucified by the price tanking, and having only the true believers survive is totally not a reset or anything.

that's right. this is good for bitcoin, actually

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

I doubt that factors in cooling costs either.

In Texas, which for some reason has become a mining hub in the US because of our dipshit governor even though it is a terrible place for it, right now it has been hovering just over the 100°F(38°C) mark for a week or two now with no relief in sight. And power costs can fluctuate a lot because of deregulation by rear end in a top hat morons who are also stupid. So like, I'd wager those costs are already wildly inaccurate for a place like Texas where power is on the expensive side right now, and then factor in a LOT of cooling, and I don't think any of them are "profitable" by now.

Isn't 100+ basically the norm for Texas summer? There's NO relief coming for a month +. How well do cooling rigs work if the heat sink fins are trying to radiate into already baking heat?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

stealing electricity or not.

A buddy of mine rented a pretty decent suburban house in a moderately-lovely part of Sacramento for a song because the previous tenants had rented the house for a grow op and :stare: bypassed the metering circuit and put their own tap onto the power grid :stare:

That was to grow marijuana in California in 2015. I'd have to assume the same skillset is being used to power shitloads of illicit miners right now; not getting into people who steal gas for generators, or the spyware that does background mining on your grandma's Samsung tablet. IMO the BTC mining community is too diversified to collapse from electricity costs

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Bitcoin has largely followed the NASDAQ for the last few years. Blood is coming on Monday. Lots of blood.

Not really, but it's something coiners like to claim. But part of the NASDAQ is absolutely the same stupid money that is investing in cryptocurrency.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Every big jump I see in the 1m plot I just picture some suburban dad dumping in his kid's college fund thinking "the rally starts with me!"

Edit :toot:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 18, 2022

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Well that buy wall at 18k that was there maybe 10 minutes ago seems to have evaporated.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Any second now….

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

IT'S HAPPENING!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

There goes cabin pressure, why is this fun

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Man, I have never watched these things before but watching some number hit and everything going insane is hypnotic. Especially with sound effects, it's like an anti-jackpot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

:thurman: 17,881!